Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
LSR Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Chevy Camaro vs... Comparison of Chevy Camaro versus its competition. *NO STREET RACING STORIES*

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2009, 02:23 AM   #26
TaylorRyanSS
COTW: 12/13/10
 
TaylorRyanSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 1969 Camaro, 2012 370Z
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 7,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
A 2010 corvette Z06 will be a good match up for the R8 though.. The ZR1 will smoke it..
I would still take the R8 over the ZR1
__________________

"Are you one of those boys who prefer cars to women? - I'm one of those boys that appreciates a fine body, regardless of the make."
1969 CAMARO JOURNAL: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341239 | FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/taylor.ryan.apt | GRAPHIC DESIGN: www.aptdesigns.net
TaylorRyanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 03:09 AM   #27
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast
 
Supermans's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Miami
Posts: 4,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorRyan74 View Post
I would still take the R8 over the ZR1
Yes, the R8 is a great car. It is a luxury Lambo..However I'd still take a Lamborghini Gallardo over it any day in style and looks..

You cannot compare a car that gets reviews like this

"amazing stability, traction and grip, unparalleled steering accuracy and bite, (and) its uncannily flat and disturbance-free ride", claimed that as a result of "the sublime effortlessness of it all", the Audi is a better sports car. The article concluded that "Audi humbles Porsche. A new dawn starts today"

with anything but a car in its price range..I still have to believe the Camaro would get peoples heads to turn more often than an R8 would in America thanks to Transformers and the uniqueness of the Camaro's styling. An R8 is kind of a sleeper super car if you ask me since it resembles some of the other Audi models front lights and rear fascia..
__________________
Bought my Camaro from Eric Hall(817) 421-7266
Supermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:12 AM   #28
Zeus
BOOOOOM MF'R!!
 
Zeus's Avatar
 
Drives: to Chipotle daily
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Flo-Rida
Posts: 3,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
Yes, the R8 is a great car. It is a luxury Lambo..However I'd still take a Lamborghini Gallardo over it any day in style and looks..

You cannot compare a car that gets reviews like this

"amazing stability, traction and grip, unparalleled steering accuracy and bite, (and) its uncannily flat and disturbance-free ride", claimed that as a result of "the sublime effortlessness of it all", the Audi is a better sports car. The article concluded that "Audi humbles Porsche. A new dawn starts today"

with anything but a car in its price range..I still have to believe the Camaro would get peoples heads to turn more often than an R8 would in America thanks to Transformers and the uniqueness of the Camaro's styling. An R8 is kind of a sleeper super car if you ask me since it resembles some of the other Audi models front lights and rear fascia..


I have seen 3 Camaro's AND 3 R8's... the FIRST timers for the Camaro often get wiplash trying to take a glance.. but EVERY time the R8 flies by you have to gawk.

Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:49 PM   #29
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast
 
Supermans's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Miami
Posts: 4,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
I have seen 3 Camaro's AND 3 R8's... the FIRST timers for the Camaro often get wiplash trying to take a glance.. but EVERY time the R8 flies by you have to gawk.

The R8 to me doesn't look as good as the Camaro by any means..I don't see people turning their heads for it.. There are quite a few people that own R8's and they closely resemble the other Audi's from the front.. The A5 especially..
A5

A6

TT

R8


The reason the R8 doesn't get as many looks as the Camaro is simply because it looks similar to all the other Audi's..Kinda of like the Problem Pontiac had many years ago..
__________________
Bought my Camaro from Eric Hall(817) 421-7266
Supermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 01:05 PM   #30
MrIcky

 
MrIcky's Avatar
 
Drives: Dodge Ram Megacab & Cobalt SS
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Boise
Posts: 1,536
I disagree on the R8 being a head turner. There's a couple in town and I've seen people stop whatever they're doing to look. They're pretty jaw-dropping in real life- I don't think the pics actually do them justice.
MrIcky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 03:34 PM   #31
Zeus
BOOOOOM MF'R!!
 
Zeus's Avatar
 
Drives: to Chipotle daily
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Flo-Rida
Posts: 3,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
The R8 to me doesn't look as good as the Camaro by any means..I don't see people turning their heads for it.. There are quite a few people that own R8's and they closely resemble the other Audi's from the front.. The A5 especially..
A5

A6

TT

R8


The reason the R8 doesn't get as many looks as the Camaro is simply because it looks similar to all the other Audi's..Kinda of like the Problem Pontiac had many years ago..


Your entire post is based on the premise that the R8 doesnt turn as many heads as the Camaro: something I dissagree with.



Consider this: The R8 was introduced in 2006.



Who will turn more heads when the Camaro is 3 years old?
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 04:37 PM   #32
S8ER01Z
 
Drives: Camaro Z28
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Quad Cities
Posts: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClassicCarKid View Post
According to popular mechanics, they're dead even 0-60, quarter mile, and the R8 gave them a worse stopping distance

http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...81.html?page=5

I didn't know it only had 317 ft. lbs., interesting...
According to MT the GT500 and Camaro SS are close too....
S8ER01Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:43 PM   #33
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast
 
Supermans's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Miami
Posts: 4,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
Your entire post is based on the premise that the R8 doesnt turn as many heads as the Camaro: something I dissagree with.



Consider this: The R8 was introduced in 2006.



Who will turn more heads when the Camaro is 3 years old?
I'm talking about pure looks.. Not handling and interior quality or speed.. Both the Camaro concept and the R8 have been around for a few years.. The R8 was featured in Iron Man as Tony Starks car.. However because of Bumblebee in Transformers, the Camaro will turn more heads for the time being.. Once it is over saturated like the Mustang, then it won't turn heads as much but it still won't stop.. I posted the pictures above because the R8 does not have many unique features in comparison to the TT or A5 if you see them driving by on the road.. Yes when you drive it around it feels better than a porsche and should be better than the stock SS Camaro for the $120,000 price tag or more if you get the Lambo's detuned 10 cylinder one..
__________________
Bought my Camaro from Eric Hall(817) 421-7266
Supermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:58 PM   #34
The_Blur
Moderator, USN
 
The_Blur's Avatar
 
Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NAS Pensacola
Posts: 14,113
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I think this is an interesting discussion for a few reasons. One of the most notable is that our community seems to get a little defensive when a car that clearly costs more and tends to be associated with a higher level of performance shows up. We all are going to have to accept that someone is going to build a faster car, and that someone might not be American. That doesn't mean that we have to defend our car. It means that we have to go find a performance shop and put it in the rearview mirror. Think of cars like this as a goal rather than a list of reasons for justifying your less expensive and potentially slower Camaro. Not everyone can afford a luxury import with performance under the hood, and I think we can all agree that the Camaro might not be as high on our lists if we all could afford to spend this kind of money on a car.

The other thing that interests me about this thread is that the Camaro is actually fast enough to fight some real road warriors. Some of the greats could definitely go down at the track when faced with a mass-produced Chevrolet. This sort of comparison truly is a testament to GM engineering if not American engineering, capitalistic competition, and the strength of the world economy. Without such a great world economy, those of us on the other side of the Atlantic might not be able to experience such high-class vehicles or compete with them in our domestic powerhouses. I think it is clear that we take for granted these simple pleasures of comparing everyman's Corvette, the Camaro, with exclusive cars that are made thousands of miles across the ocean. Isn't that kind of amazing when you think about it?
The_Blur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:41 AM   #35
S8ER01Z
 
Drives: Camaro Z28
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Quad Cities
Posts: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
One of the most notable is that our community seems to get a little defensive when a car that clearly costs more and tends to be associated with a higher level of performance shows up. We all are going to have to accept that someone is going to build a faster car, and that someone might not be American. That doesn't mean that we have to defend our car.
I'm glad someone said it!!!

Maybe it's the fact that I am on a diverse number of boards with Mustangs, SRT8 Owners, F-body owners, DSMs, etc but it seems they are mellow when it comes to respecting other cars and appreciating the good things about other makes and models.

With how much the 5th gen costs I can't imagine the maturity level here is low due to age of ownership. Maybe it's the new car smell?
S8ER01Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:14 PM   #36
Sleestack
 
Sleestack's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 SRT8 SuperBee, '09 GT500
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIcky View Post
I disagree on the R8 being a head turner. There's a couple in town and I've seen people stop whatever they're doing to look. They're pretty jaw-dropping in real life- I don't think the pics actually do them justice.



Quote:
Originally Posted by S8ER01Z View Post
According to MT the GT500 and Camaro SS are close too....
Now you are really gonna get it.....
__________________
Sleestack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:53 PM   #37
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,786
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
It's certainly faster (the R8), but it's not that much faster (as some here would suggest)...I just think it's neat that with a few minor modifications here and there...which you KNOW will be done by any self-respecting Camaro owner ()...The R8 will have to actually try to keep up.

But then...with cars like the R8...isn't that Corvette's job to beat it down? Even the new V10 isn't quite as good as the ZR1.
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:13 AM   #38
S8ER01Z
 
Drives: Camaro Z28
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Quad Cities
Posts: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleestack View Post
Now you are really gonna get it.....
Sorry ...sometimes I can't help myself.
S8ER01Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:49 AM   #39
Zeus
BOOOOOM MF'R!!
 
Zeus's Avatar
 
Drives: to Chipotle daily
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Flo-Rida
Posts: 3,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
I'm talking about pure looks.. Not handling and interior quality or speed.. Both the Camaro concept and the R8 have been around for a few years.. The R8 was featured in Iron Man as Tony Starks car.. However because of Bumblebee in Transformers, the Camaro will turn more heads for the time being.. Once it is over saturated like the Mustang, then it won't turn heads as much but it still won't stop.. I posted the pictures above because the R8 does not have many unique features in comparison to the TT or A5 if you see them driving by on the road.. Yes when you drive it around it feels better than a porsche and should be better than the stock SS Camaro for the $120,000 price tag or more if you get the Lambo's detuned 10 cylinder one..
im going to very respectfully dissagree.



The R8 has been on the road for 3 years... Iron man came out after the R8 had already been for sale for 2 years.
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 04:54 PM   #40
bluman
 
bluman's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 Corvette GS/'13 Mustang
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorRyan74 View Post
I would still take the R8 over the ZR1
U R NUTS !!!
__________________
2010 Camaro SIM/CGM RS/2LT VIN #310 SOLD


2010 Corvette Grand Sport
bluman is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CAMARO WIKI Tran Wiki 47 02-19-2014 03:23 PM
Official Camaro Convertible CONCEPT Press Release Tran Camaro Convertible Forum 12 11-18-2009 07:05 PM
2010 orange camaro 2ss avail for sale at MSRP boneshigh Dealer Camaros for Sale 1 06-29-2009 09:12 AM
2010 Camaro 2SS Needs Repair Bumleb 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 164 04-27-2009 10:09 PM
Official Camaro Options & Standard Equipment for all Trim Levels headpunter Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions 300 02-18-2009 12:23 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.