Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Rick@Livernois
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2009, 09:07 AM   #18
ihc95
 
ihc95's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 335i E92
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 649
Dont believe Audi's 0-60 quote of 4.7 sec. Motortrend ripped off a 3.9sec run in their test. So unfortunately the R8 with scortch the SS in every aspect.
ihc95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:35 AM   #19
rayhawk

 
rayhawk's Avatar
 
Drives: Trailblazer SS
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Miami
Posts: 990
The R8 is definitely not about straight line speed, but it is a bit ahead of the Camaro anyway, running mid-high 12's. I realize this car is not about 1/4 mile runs, but since it was brought up, lets compare a few things. It is pretty heavy for such an expensive car, at 3650 lbs, it gets 13/20 mpg, it is only a two seater, it is ridiculously priced, and the relatively small displacement doesn't leave much room for improvement. How can a 6.2L corvette get 16/26 mpg and the Audi only manages 13/20? I guess if you have the money you don't care but it doesn't seem like a practical vehicle to me.
__________________
Hooters, hooters, yum yum yum, hooters, hooters on a girl thats dumb.
-Al Bundy

07 2WD Trailblazer SS, LS1 E-fans, 4" FWI, pcmforless tune
rayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:41 AM   #20
Zeus
BOOOOOM MF'R!!
 
Zeus's Avatar
 
Drives: to Chipotle daily
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Flo-Rida
Posts: 3,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhawk View Post
The R8 is definitely not about straight line speed, but it is a bit ahead of the Camaro anyway, running mid-high 12's. I realize this car is not about 1/4 mile runs, but since it was brought up, lets compare a few things. It is pretty heavy for such an expensive car, at 3650 lbs, it gets 13/20 mpg, it is only a two seater, it is ridiculously priced, and the relatively small displacement doesn't leave much room for improvement. How can a 6.2L corvette get 16/26 mpg and the Audi only manages 13/20? I guess if you have the money you don't care but it doesn't seem like a practical vehicle to me.
Compare it to the R8 V10. Aka the new one.
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:55 PM   #21
bluman
 
bluman's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 Corvette GS/'13 Mustang
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 636
Why do folks post up ridiculous comparisons ?????
__________________
2010 Camaro SIM/CGM RS/2LT VIN #310 SOLD


2010 Corvette Grand Sport
bluman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 02:00 PM   #22
levi1922

 
levi1922's Avatar
 
Drives: 2LT RS CGM
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by JewelZ View Post
Haha, I don't know who taught you how to talk. But, the Mustang v6 '10(I know bad comparison, lol) is 94HP less than the Camaro v6 '10 and its isn't but 1 second off in the qaurter and barely off on the 0-60 run. So the SS having 6 more HP is not it's winning factor. The R8 is 'Fasta'. No comparison in the two. R8 would bust open the Camaro's hood with just it's take off. I would rather have a SS even if I had the money, I would never throw 120k into an Audi, I'd get a Lambo or Ford GT maybe even a Nissan GTR.


from what ive read the v6 camaro does 5.9 or 6.0 depending on the review, and the mustang gets to 60 in 7.0, making it a second off in the 0-60. the challenger does it in 7.5. but thats just what ive read
__________________
levi1922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 06:31 PM   #23
rayhawk

 
rayhawk's Avatar
 
Drives: Trailblazer SS
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Miami
Posts: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
Compare it to the R8 V10. Aka the new one.
Well the original poster specifically said the 420 hp version, but I must admit I didn't even know about the new one.
__________________
Hooters, hooters, yum yum yum, hooters, hooters on a girl thats dumb.
-Al Bundy

07 2WD Trailblazer SS, LS1 E-fans, 4" FWI, pcmforless tune
rayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:15 AM   #24
mschamp
 
Drives: evo ix
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: green hell
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgie View Post
it won't be 4x faster but it sure as heck costs 4x more...
But youll feela hell of alot better driving it
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhawk View Post
The R8 is definitely not about straight line speed, but it is a bit ahead of the Camaro anyway, running mid-high 12's. I realize this car is not about 1/4 mile runs, but since it was brought up, lets compare a few things. It is pretty heavy for such an expensive car, at 3650 lbs, it gets 13/20 mpg, it is only a two seater, it is ridiculously priced, and the relatively small displacement doesn't leave much room for improvement. How can a 6.2L corvette get 16/26 mpg and the Audi only manages 13/20? I guess if you have the money you don't care but it doesn't seem like a practical vehicle to me.
LOL only atwo seater? bad gas milage? high prices?...I dont think thats what ppl look at when buying one. Nor do they mod them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluman View Post
Why do folks post up ridiculous comparisons ?????
mschamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:39 AM   #25
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast
 
Supermans's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Miami
Posts: 4,752
A 2010 corvette Z06 will be a good match up for the R8 though.. The ZR1 will smoke it..
__________________
Bought my Camaro from Eric Hall(817) 421-7266
Supermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 03:23 AM   #26
TaylorRyanSS
COTW: 12/13/10
 
TaylorRyanSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 1969 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 7,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
A 2010 corvette Z06 will be a good match up for the R8 though.. The ZR1 will smoke it..
I would still take the R8 over the ZR1
__________________

"Are you one of those boys who prefer cars to women? - I'm one of those boys that appreciates a fine body, regardless of the make."
1969 CAMARO JOURNAL: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341239 | FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/taylor.ryan.apt | GRAPHIC DESIGN: www.aptdesigns.net
TaylorRyanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 04:09 AM   #27
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast
 
Supermans's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Miami
Posts: 4,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorRyan74 View Post
I would still take the R8 over the ZR1
Yes, the R8 is a great car. It is a luxury Lambo..However I'd still take a Lamborghini Gallardo over it any day in style and looks..

You cannot compare a car that gets reviews like this

"amazing stability, traction and grip, unparalleled steering accuracy and bite, (and) its uncannily flat and disturbance-free ride", claimed that as a result of "the sublime effortlessness of it all", the Audi is a better sports car. The article concluded that "Audi humbles Porsche. A new dawn starts today"

with anything but a car in its price range..I still have to believe the Camaro would get peoples heads to turn more often than an R8 would in America thanks to Transformers and the uniqueness of the Camaro's styling. An R8 is kind of a sleeper super car if you ask me since it resembles some of the other Audi models front lights and rear fascia..
__________________
Bought my Camaro from Eric Hall(817) 421-7266
Supermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:12 PM   #28
Zeus
BOOOOOM MF'R!!
 
Zeus's Avatar
 
Drives: to Chipotle daily
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Flo-Rida
Posts: 3,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
Yes, the R8 is a great car. It is a luxury Lambo..However I'd still take a Lamborghini Gallardo over it any day in style and looks..

You cannot compare a car that gets reviews like this

"amazing stability, traction and grip, unparalleled steering accuracy and bite, (and) its uncannily flat and disturbance-free ride", claimed that as a result of "the sublime effortlessness of it all", the Audi is a better sports car. The article concluded that "Audi humbles Porsche. A new dawn starts today"

with anything but a car in its price range..I still have to believe the Camaro would get peoples heads to turn more often than an R8 would in America thanks to Transformers and the uniqueness of the Camaro's styling. An R8 is kind of a sleeper super car if you ask me since it resembles some of the other Audi models front lights and rear fascia..


I have seen 3 Camaro's AND 3 R8's... the FIRST timers for the Camaro often get wiplash trying to take a glance.. but EVERY time the R8 flies by you have to gawk.

Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 01:49 PM   #29
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast
 
Supermans's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Miami
Posts: 4,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
I have seen 3 Camaro's AND 3 R8's... the FIRST timers for the Camaro often get wiplash trying to take a glance.. but EVERY time the R8 flies by you have to gawk.

The R8 to me doesn't look as good as the Camaro by any means..I don't see people turning their heads for it.. There are quite a few people that own R8's and they closely resemble the other Audi's from the front.. The A5 especially..
A5

A6

TT

R8


The reason the R8 doesn't get as many looks as the Camaro is simply because it looks similar to all the other Audi's..Kinda of like the Problem Pontiac had many years ago..
__________________
Bought my Camaro from Eric Hall(817) 421-7266
Supermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:05 PM   #30
MrIcky

 
MrIcky's Avatar
 
Drives: Dodge Ram Megacab & Cobalt SS
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Boise
Posts: 1,536
I disagree on the R8 being a head turner. There's a couple in town and I've seen people stop whatever they're doing to look. They're pretty jaw-dropping in real life- I don't think the pics actually do them justice.
MrIcky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 04:34 PM   #31
Zeus
BOOOOOM MF'R!!
 
Zeus's Avatar
 
Drives: to Chipotle daily
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Flo-Rida
Posts: 3,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
The R8 to me doesn't look as good as the Camaro by any means..I don't see people turning their heads for it.. There are quite a few people that own R8's and they closely resemble the other Audi's from the front.. The A5 especially..
A5

A6

TT

R8


The reason the R8 doesn't get as many looks as the Camaro is simply because it looks similar to all the other Audi's..Kinda of like the Problem Pontiac had many years ago..


Your entire post is based on the premise that the R8 doesnt turn as many heads as the Camaro: something I dissagree with.



Consider this: The R8 was introduced in 2006.



Who will turn more heads when the Camaro is 3 years old?
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 05:37 PM   #32
S8ER01Z
 
Drives: Camaro Z28
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Quad Cities
Posts: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClassicCarKid View Post
According to popular mechanics, they're dead even 0-60, quarter mile, and the R8 gave them a worse stopping distance

http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...81.html?page=5

I didn't know it only had 317 ft. lbs., interesting...
According to MT the GT500 and Camaro SS are close too....
S8ER01Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:43 AM   #33
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast
 
Supermans's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Miami
Posts: 4,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
Your entire post is based on the premise that the R8 doesnt turn as many heads as the Camaro: something I dissagree with.



Consider this: The R8 was introduced in 2006.



Who will turn more heads when the Camaro is 3 years old?
I'm talking about pure looks.. Not handling and interior quality or speed.. Both the Camaro concept and the R8 have been around for a few years.. The R8 was featured in Iron Man as Tony Starks car.. However because of Bumblebee in Transformers, the Camaro will turn more heads for the time being.. Once it is over saturated like the Mustang, then it won't turn heads as much but it still won't stop.. I posted the pictures above because the R8 does not have many unique features in comparison to the TT or A5 if you see them driving by on the road.. Yes when you drive it around it feels better than a porsche and should be better than the stock SS Camaro for the $120,000 price tag or more if you get the Lambo's detuned 10 cylinder one..
__________________
Bought my Camaro from Eric Hall(817) 421-7266
Supermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:58 AM   #34
The_Blur
Jayhawk USN
 
The_Blur's Avatar
 
Drives: Demon SS
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 14,623
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I think this is an interesting discussion for a few reasons. One of the most notable is that our community seems to get a little defensive when a car that clearly costs more and tends to be associated with a higher level of performance shows up. We all are going to have to accept that someone is going to build a faster car, and that someone might not be American. That doesn't mean that we have to defend our car. It means that we have to go find a performance shop and put it in the rearview mirror. Think of cars like this as a goal rather than a list of reasons for justifying your less expensive and potentially slower Camaro. Not everyone can afford a luxury import with performance under the hood, and I think we can all agree that the Camaro might not be as high on our lists if we all could afford to spend this kind of money on a car.

The other thing that interests me about this thread is that the Camaro is actually fast enough to fight some real road warriors. Some of the greats could definitely go down at the track when faced with a mass-produced Chevrolet. This sort of comparison truly is a testament to GM engineering if not American engineering, capitalistic competition, and the strength of the world economy. Without such a great world economy, those of us on the other side of the Atlantic might not be able to experience such high-class vehicles or compete with them in our domestic powerhouses. I think it is clear that we take for granted these simple pleasures of comparing everyman's Corvette, the Camaro, with exclusive cars that are made thousands of miles across the ocean. Isn't that kind of amazing when you think about it?
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CAMARO WIKI Tran Wiki 54 02-06-2016 12:33 PM
Official Camaro Convertible CONCEPT Press Release Tran Camaro Convertible Forum 12 11-18-2009 08:05 PM
2010 orange camaro 2ss avail for sale at MSRP boneshigh Dealer Camaros for Sale 1 06-29-2009 10:12 AM
2010 Camaro 2SS Needs Repair Bumleb 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 164 04-27-2009 11:09 PM
Official Camaro Options & Standard Equipment for all Trim Levels headpunter Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions 300 02-18-2009 01:23 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.