Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

LSR Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 02-03-2014, 03:57 PM   #1
MrFrost

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 - "Mabel"
Help with insurance claim

So as some of you know, my car was involved in a wreck involving 3 deer last week. Well after the adjuster saw it and it went to body shop they gave an initial estimate of $7400. When I went to the body shop and went over the car with them we went through and found many scuffs, scrapes, dents, etc. Including right front wheel scraped and right back wheel with a dent in it. They found the a/c condenser needed replaced and that the driver side headlight had been cracked ( so both had to be replaced ). So they submitted the extra claim to insurance like they do to get additional funds.
Well today the body shop called me and said they approved the a/c condenser, extra headlight. But they denied any wheel damage or any of the chips, dents, scrapes, etc. along the sides of the car.

So as I have said, I have never been through this kind of experience of dealing with insurance company for anything. Do I have any fight in this game? Any words of wisdom out there from insurance people? I'm not trying to cheat anybody. I pointed out the damage( a scratch on the trunk) that I had on the car prior to the wreck. I even told them I was willing to pass on the wheel repair( plan on new wheels soon anyways). I even turned down the rental car (which was up to $900 bucks coverage) so they could use that money towards repairs.
I make my living making assessments and noticing things. ( I have been a nurse for 22 years ) so I pay attention to details big and small. Trust me when I say I know what was there and what wasn't.

Anybody out there that can guide me through this, please help. I need to get this resolved as soon as possible before the car is finished in the next week.
Thank You and really appreciate all the advice I can get!!!
MrFrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:10 PM   #2
Xanytos

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Inferno Orange
Buy replacements parts from these forums. You'll save a lot $. Then use the savings to buy/fix/replace/upgrade the other stuff!
Xanytos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:26 PM   #3
LiquidDragon

Drives: 2013 1LT RS
If you know for sure that the damage wasn't there before then don't back down and make sure they replace everything that was damaged in the accident. If one person tells you know just call back and speak to someone else. I am in the process of having repairs done to my car and I turned down the rental car at one point also and was trying to be nice as i could be but over the past four months I have noticed that they will take advantage of people that are being "nice" so I gave up being nice to them and now they are even trying to do extra work for me on my car at no cost to me but that is a whole different story and they tried to fix something on my car that i did not want fixed and asked not to be fixed.
LiquidDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:37 PM   #4
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
you have the right to have the auto repaired where ever you choose not the first place it is towed to. Bad insurance will always try to low ball you....... While they can say the wheel damage was and is most likely caused by curb rash or damage not from the accident the side damage is most likely from the accident as scratches do not just suddenly appear from nowhere. You should get a better attitude to deal with these ripoffs or your gonna get screwed........ If they keep trying to screw you over start asking about diminished value....., and having a independent appraiser go over it and talk about getting the rental car asap. Your rolling over and you should be pissed not complacent or embarrassed, you carry full coverage and comprehensive for reason.... to fix the car back to where it should be. Up here in Oregon we have a body shop called Leifs that specializes in dealing with cheap skate insurance companies that try to and do use substandard parts, or used parts, or their preferred body shops which suck and give kick backs...Leifs even sued and won against insurance companies and set president here. So good luck to you, you are at a body shop, was it the best and of your choosing? Have you gotten three estimates to repair it and submitted them with your choice to have the car repaired which is your right? You obviously need to do your research. And because its a faultless accident you need to read your policy well to know if you have any chance for diminished value....Most likely not, In my rider I have new vehicle replacement with insurance to cover the difference. Good luck.
2013 2SS/RS LS3 M6 ,CRT, 500rwhp 460 torque mustang dyno,dual mode ,sunroof ,heritage grill clear bra, TSP cam, Stainless power headers HFC, CAI induction, Vmax PTD, LPW diff cover, BMR strut brace,trailing arms, toes, bushings, Rocket racing wheels, catch can, clutch reservoir, under dash/body lights LED, DRL lights/halos, Dash kit, Custom striping and Sparks badges and Engine badge, Corvette Stainless engine cover, etc.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:46 PM   #5
Rog617

Drives: 2012 45th SS Convertible
As a former insurance adjuster in a past life, it sounds like the insurance company is not willing to pay for the other damage because the adjuster does not feel it was caused by the accident. Most insurance adjusters are instructed to look for prior or unrelated damage and most times are dinged when they do not find it and/or deduct for it.

I would just explain to the adjuster how the damage occurred. For example, you could say something like this. "After I hit the deer, I swerved to the right into the berm causing the chips and dents on the passenger side."

Once you have given the adjuster a plausible explanation, there should be no reason why they would continue to deny paying for the damage. If they still refuse, I would start going up the line starting with the adjuster's manager. If you get up the line and still have no luck, most states have an Insurance Commissioner that can act in certain circumstances.

Good luck. Hope you are able to get it resolved.
Rog617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:51 PM   #6
MrFrost

Well I called the main insurance office this afternoon and spoke with one the supervisors. She asked me if the adjuster had actually called and told me that he was going to deny the claims for the bodywork on the sides of the car. I had to explain to her that he has never spoke to me at all. I didn't even know his name. They had sent me a letter telling me the claim number and the name of an adjuster who I thought was doing the claim but every time I called the number they gave me, the person who answered (not the name on the letter) they would give me the a number to call and it was the main insurance office. The person I talked to today gave me the number of the actual person who saw he car. I called him and asked if he was the one who saw my car and why he was going to deny the adjusted claim for all the extra work. He told me that he was going to deny the damage on the drivers side of the car.(even though the body shop said he denied all side damage) I asked him why and he said because you hit a deer on the passenger side and how would that cause damage on the drivers side? I told him because I hit 3 deer. And explained to him that's exactly what I told the insurance people that I spoke to the day of the accident. I again explained to him in detail everything about the accident that I had when I first called it in. He then asked, how could a deer cause damage to the wheels? I told him that he was the investigator, explain to me, how hitting 3 big deer at 65 miles an hour could cause the damage? I mean they bent the front fender right? he said only if a deer got caught in the wheel that it could do that. well when a deer hits your front end and sucks up under the length of the car I am assuming it could have caught up in the wheel? no? well he told me he would have to talk to the insurance company first before any thing was decided.
I have called and made an appointment myself to speak to someone at the insurance agency tomorrow. I want to know why this person never attempted to make contact with me, never asked for a statement about the accident ( to get the facts right, esp. about 1 deer vs. 3 deer) or could have a least called and asked a couple of questions.
I am not giving in to them. I will keep at them until they fix all the damage that was caused by the accident.
I did choose my own body shop based on local people who live here that I asked.
I don't think they wanted me to take it there but I didn't ask permission.
Too late now, but for future reference( hope I don't need it) how do you get 3 bids on a car repair if you cant drive the car anywhere and the closest places are 45-60 minutes away? ( I live in B.F.E. )
Thanks for the help and input!!
Old 02-03-2014, 07:26 PM   #7
DarrenJ

Drives: '67 Camaro ZZ4 & 2010 IOM 2SS
What company?
DarrenJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:40 PM   #8
maddoggyusa

Drives: 2013 Camaro Dusk 2SS/6
for the most part you need to just keep making a big deal about it. adjusters really want to get that file off their desk. sounds like they made a decision based on just looking and not talking to you... so keep at em.

also, you should be able to pay extra to fix previous damage... sometimes it's very reasonable. if you get a good bodyshop that really likes you, they'll often just fix it for you just for having the business.

you might want to threaten to take the car to another body shop... this way even if the insurance company doesn't pay... the body shop might just say "oh we'll take care of it"

as somebody said, you can take it to most any place you want it fixed... usually including a chevy dealership. I would definately take it to a GM shop... all their paint systems need to meet strict paint requirements (hardness, adhesion, fade, chip resitance, UV, cycle testing, gas/chemical/weather restistance). They are all very high end paint systems usually PPG DBC, Dupont Chromabase... unlike most body shops they add hardener to their basecoat (per their paint requirements). And you should get real GM parts vs aftermarket. Good luck!
maddoggyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:50 PM   #9
MrFrost

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenJ View Post
What company?

Hochheim Prairie
Old 02-03-2014, 08:23 PM   #10
MrFrost

My first choice was to take it to GM body shop, only problem is there is no GM dealer in my general area that has their own. When I was asking people around the area, the first person I asked was the service manager at a Chevy dealer that I know personally. He recommended the shop I am using, 1st. because he has personal experience with them , 2nd, its who they send the vehicles to if they have problems with cars they have.
I don't have any problem with the body shop I am using, they are top notch. When I went there they showed me the place, the equipment they use, saw some examples they have going on now. Shop was very well taken care of, compared to some places I have seen in my life. clean, maintained equipment. Very professional. No cars stored outside ever. They offered to take pictures every day and email them to me if I wanted. they said I could come in everyday and check out at the car if I wanted to. They were very open about letting me be involved with the repair.(All the parts they ordered were OEM. No used or reconditioned parts. That was the one good thing about the insurance adjuster paperwork I got , it stated part #/part type = it listed GM part on every line Not remanufactured.( trust me I will ask for receipts/bills of sale for the parts before I pay)
They even warned me that I may get a call from insurance company asking me for details about the accident after we( me and body shop )went over the car the first time So I half expected someone from insurance to actually call me and actually ask me. Did they, NO. But the body shop called me as soon as they found out that they said yes to replacing a/c condenser and yes to replacing drivers side headlight too, but no to the nicks, scratches, etc. on the side.
as for old damage, I had planned on asking them to see what they could do about the scratch on my trunk. since they will have the paint I'm sure and its not even a deep or wide scratch, just a long thin one about a foot in length. could possibly be buffed out. figured they could do it at reasonable price. and they may still, as soon as I get the rest of this figured out.
Don't want to threaten to move car because if they do as good of job as Im hoping, I plan on using them for any body mods(blade spoiler, rocker panels, heritage grill, etc.) that I plan to do as soon as the wife unlocks the bank ;-)
Wish me luck at the insurance office meeting tomorrow.
Again thanks for the input and advice, I honestly appreciate it.
I thought for sure there had to be at least one insurance adjuster on here though, probably doesn't want to give out the secret handshake.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:24 PM   #11
MrFrost

Also they use R-M Paint, made by BASF. any opinions on this?
Old 02-03-2014, 08:48 PM   #12
maddoggyusa

Drives: 2013 Camaro Dusk 2SS/6
BASF isn't real popular... the one system I hear good things is their Diamont system. From what I see online, R-M is a cheaper "shop" paint. I hate to tell you this but "shop" lines are much cheaper and simply aren't as good. I wouldn't be surprised if this bodyshop has a better paint system... I'd ask for the better paint system. I'd never let a body shop use these cheaper paint systems on my car. And I could be wrong, this R-M might in fact be Diamont. It's kinda uncommon to paint with shop paint, most shops have good paint systems.

The only BASF paints that meet GM specs are Diamont and Line 55/90.

Now there can be good paints that don't meet the GM spec... I figure some just don't pay to have their system tested. Last time I looked at the spec, PPG DBU was not on the list... now I see it's approved.
maddoggyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:12 AM   #13
MrFrost

Well I guess talking to insurance adjuster last night helped. and I am thankful.
My body shop just called me and told me they received a call from the adjuster, they informed me that he told them to fix everything. So I am lot less worried now. didn't want to get my car back full of dings and scratches or have my wheels messed up. Just wish it hadn't come down to them trying to deny things associated with the wreck. I believe if the guy had of called me when he first went out to do the assessment and took a statement about the wreck to begin with, there wouldn't have been any question about repairs. I mean how can you really assess a wreck if you don't know all the details about it.
Appreciate all the help.
Miss the hell out of my car!
Old 02-05-2014, 03:01 PM   #14
DarrenJ

Drives: '67 Camaro ZZ4 & 2010 IOM 2SS
Sikkens, in my humble opinion, is the best. Dupont is a close second. This is just my opinion, paint is as good as the painter's experience using it.

If they refuse to repair what you know to be part of the accident, I would file a complaint with your state's insurance commissioner complaint department, be sure you tell them the damage was denied before anyone even talked with you.

Make sure you have the body shop look at the damage closely, they see this kind of thing every day and can usually deduct what took place from the damage already on the vehicle. Deer can cause very "unusual" damage.

Good luck!
DarrenJ is offline   Reply With Quote