Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vector Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:21 PM   #1
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
My first winterization

I have it on a moisture barrier. Waiting for cover to arrive. When the green cap hits the windshield my car is in the perfect spot and I have just the right amount of room in front and behind the car.
Attached Images

Mods: Heritage Grill, Blade Spoiler, Corrado Hoodliner Mural, Premium Engine Boxes, Radiator Shroud, Custom Painted Bowties, Dipstick & Engine Caps, RX Catch Can, Corsa cat back exhaust, CAI black powder coat cold air, Apex cold air intake scoop and Apex washer tank relocate kit, Dynatech SuperMAXX Ceramic Coated LT Headers, High Flow Cats, JRE470 Rough Idle Cam Package, DSS 1,000 RWHP Axels, Slowhawk Mustang Dyno Tune and iTSX. 453 RWHP 427 RWTQ

WEB LINKS
BUILD
TIMING CHAIN FAILURE
TRANSITION FROM STOCK TO CAM VID
AFTER DETAIL PICS

Last edited by Maxspeed; 12-08-2011 at 09:36 PM.
Maxspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:23 PM   #2
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

Steel wool in the exhaust.
Attached Images

Mods: Heritage Grill, Blade Spoiler, Corrado Hoodliner Mural, Premium Engine Boxes, Radiator Shroud, Custom Painted Bowties, Dipstick & Engine Caps, RX Catch Can, Corsa cat back exhaust, CAI black powder coat cold air, Apex cold air intake scoop and Apex washer tank relocate kit, Dynatech SuperMAXX Ceramic Coated LT Headers, High Flow Cats, JRE470 Rough Idle Cam Package, DSS 1,000 RWHP Axels, Slowhawk Mustang Dyno Tune and iTSX. 453 RWHP 427 RWTQ

WEB LINKS
BUILD
TIMING CHAIN FAILURE
AFTER DETAIL PICS
Old 12-08-2011, 09:24 PM   #3
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

Mothballs in a sock. Also have dryer sheets resting onn a plastic bag in the cabin and trunk.
Attached Images

WEB LINKS
BUILD
TIMING CHAIN FAILURE
AFTER DETAIL PICS
Old 12-08-2011, 09:29 PM   #4
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

Here is my Battert Tender Junior. I tied a washer to a string and dropped it down the front of the engine and tied it to the cable and pulled it up thru the engine and connected it to the clamp wire. I didn't want the wire coming out of the front of the grill resting on the paint. I then connected the battery tender to an extension cord and pushed the tender under the front end. I duck taped the extension cord to the ground so it doesnt get pulled or kicked.

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender...3397582&sr=8-1
Attached Images

WEB LINKS
BUILD
TIMING CHAIN FAILURE
AFTER DETAIL PICS
Old 12-08-2011, 09:34 PM   #5
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

Things I have left to do is place some moth balls under the car and some mouse traps on either side of the tires. When my Coverking Satin Stretch cover arrives I will Detail Spray the car and cover it. I also inflated the tires to 50 PSI. I printed out a word document of exactly what I need to do in the spring so I will remember what I did today and left it on the seat. I tucked the car close to the wall so that I have more room between the drivers side and my wifes van. I made special note to be carefull backing the car out next spring to I dont clip pthe right side mirror on the garage.

WEB LINKS
BUILD
TIMING CHAIN FAILURE
AFTER DETAIL PICS
Old 12-08-2011, 09:49 PM   #6
MIT'13

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 1LT / RS
You are a very thorough fellow! I'm sure the cover and your other precautions will keep it very safe. The winters here in Mass get pretty brutal, but so far this year has been alright.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:57 PM   #7
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

I just read what other owners did here and did the same. This is my first toy car. Actually what I did today only took about an hour. I did have to go to Ocean State Job lot and buy the tarp.

WEB LINKS
BUILD
TIMING CHAIN FAILURE
AFTER DETAIL PICS
Old 12-08-2011, 10:30 PM   #8
montreal2010yellow

Drives: 2 LT/RS YELLOW, AUTO., VIN NO. 602
Oups. looks like you forgot to put some :

Name:  stabil.jpg
Views: 1136
Size:  3.7 KB
Old 12-08-2011, 10:31 PM   #9
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

Nope, topped it off and plenty of Sta-bil. Just forgot to mention it. I knew I was leaving something out.

WEB LINKS
BUILD
TIMING CHAIN FAILURE
AFTER DETAIL PICS
Old 12-08-2011, 10:51 PM   #10
hightower
LS3 Black Widow

Drives: 2012 45th 2SS LS3 and 1968 Mustang
Brilliantly done. Best winterization I've ever seen. Bravo to you!

Moments like these are when you can tell that someone truly loves their ride.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:20 PM   #11
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur

Drives: Blown Camaro 2SS/RS LS3-2007 Tahoe
Nicely done
Dznts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:45 PM   #12
AngelSpeedFreak
Most hated in NM....

Drives: Boosted, Cammed, Bagged, Dipped...
very good... sorry you have to do it however. I cant imagine not being able to drive my car for a few months...
Old 12-09-2011, 12:15 AM   #13
VoodooVyper

Drives: 2012 IBM Camaro 1LT/RS
I live in MA too, just got the car a few weeks ago. My winterization consisted of Pirelli Scorpions and a new set of wheels.
Attached Images

10/18/2011 (2000)
10/18/2011 (2500)
10/18/2011 (3000) TPW 11/7
10/29/2011 (3100,3300)
11/01/2011 (3400)
11/08/2011 (3800)
11/09/2011 (4B00)
11/14/2011 (4200)
11/18/2011 (4800)
11/21/2011 (5000)
VoodooVyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:15 AM   #14
Supercamaro64
Right, right.

Drives: 79 Z28, 86 Camaro, 94 Burb 4x4
Yea i just got the cover for mine today! Put a bunch of dryer sheets in it, set up the battery tender, set the mousetraps around the garage, etc. I still need to do a few things, but shes almost tucked in for the winter!
Supercamaro64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:35 AM   #15
hightower
LS3 Black Widow

Drives: 2012 45th 2SS LS3 and 1968 Mustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelSpeedFreak View Post
I cant imagine not being able to drive my car for a few months...
x2

Not driving for winter = :(
Old 12-09-2011, 12:45 AM   #16
kannon

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS/M6
Does it really get so bad that just being inside the garage isn't good enough? I have zero experience with harsh winters. That's crazy lol.

kannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:45 AM   #17
Supercamaro64
Right, right.

Drives: 79 Z28, 86 Camaro, 94 Burb 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by hightower View Post
x2

Not driving for winter = :(
Yeah. It sucks :( But since the other option is to slowly destroy my car with salt, id rather do this

Quote:
Does it really get so bad that just being inside the garage isn't good enough? I have zero experience with harsh winters. That's crazy lol.
Well most of the extra stuff is to keep little rodents out. Last year, only about 2 weeks into winter, i open the door of my car to see a mouse scurry from under the seat, to under my dash. They are REEEEEally bad, at least by me :(
Supercamaro64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:47 AM   #18
heRS

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
Sounds like you've got all the bases covered. It was nice enough on Monday that I backed mine out of the shop into the sunshine and detailed the dash, conditioned the seats, vacuumed. Wished the highway wasn't like driving through a sand/salt blaster... Once parked, I tucked a couple of fabric softener sheets under the seats, mothball trays under the engine, and dessicant packets in trunk and cabin to absorb moisture. Got it on a trickle charger, and next weekend I'm detailing the exterior before the cover goes on.
Max the only thing you forgot was the dessicant packets. Your garage doesn't appear to be insulated and moisture would be my only concern.

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:05 AM   #19
HDDAN

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 2007 HD FLSTC
This will be my third winter of not driving my SS. I drove all of my other Camaros year round. I have been storing my motorcycles for decades though. People on this site take it to extremes sometimes and it looks as if you are doing this. Your car appears to be garaged as is mine. If it were outside, I would probably take the extreme route too. all I do is wash and wax the car. Drive it to dry it. Put in stabil as per the instructions. Put on my battery tender, and cover it. (cover = $29.95 at Wallmart). In the spring, I take off the cover, unhook the tender, start it and go. I also live in Taxachusetts. Why do you have the negative clamped where you do? Chevy provides a post on the inner left fender for this purpose. By the way, my tires do NOT develop flat spots as rumor would have it.
HDDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:26 AM   #20
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

Quote:
Originally Posted by heRS View Post
Sounds like you've got all the bases covered. It was nice enough on Monday that I backed mine out of the shop into the sunshine and detailed the dash, conditioned the seats, vacuumed. Wished the highway wasn't like driving through a sand/salt blaster... Once parked, I tucked a couple of fabric softener sheets under the seats, mothball trays under the engine, and dessicant packets in trunk and cabin to absorb moisture. Got it on a trickle charger, and next weekend I'm detailing the exterior before the cover goes on.
Max the only thing you forgot was the dessicant packets. Your garage doesn't appear to be insulated and moisture would be my only concern.

You're right. I read a lot about winterizing here and no one has mentioned those. Where do you get yours?

A few years ago I had a mouse eat through a vacuum hose that controled the a/c heating system causing all the conditioned air to come out all of the vents and not the just the ones I choose.

WEB LINKS
BUILD
TIMING CHAIN FAILURE
AFTER DETAIL PICS
Old 12-09-2011, 07:32 AM   #21
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDDAN View Post
This will be my third winter of not driving my SS. I drove all of my other Camaros year round. I have been storing my motorcycles for decades though. People on this site take it to extremes sometimes and it looks as if you are doing this. Your car appears to be garaged as is mine. If it were outside, I would probably take the extreme route too. all I do is wash and wax the car. Drive it to dry it. Put in stabil as per the instructions. Put on my battery tender, and cover it. (cover = $29.95 at Wallmart). In the spring, I take off the cover, unhook the tender, start it and go. I also live in Taxachusetts. Why do you have the negative clamped where you do? Chevy provides a post on the inner left fender for this purpose. By the way, my tires do NOT develop flat spots as rumor would have it.

I may be being over cautious, but my intent with this car is long term. This is purely a toy/show car. I have two other daily drivers. I want to keep this for the rest of my life if I can. I have no intent on trading it in or selling it in 10 years like my daily drivers. I would like to pull it out of the garage in 20/30 years and have it look show room new.

I have the negative connected there because I saw it in another thread that way. Now that you mention it maybe it was the negative post the other thread was referencing. I will have to look for that neg post and use it, thanks.

Any Mass guys live near Mansfield?

WEB LINKS
BUILD
TIMING CHAIN FAILURE
AFTER DETAIL PICS
Old 12-09-2011, 09:22 AM   #22
HDDAN

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 2007 HD FLSTC
I also plan on keeping mine. i drive a used Buick in the winter. This car will be replaced with another used car when it is ready for the junky. I am sick of the sales tax and the excise tax here in the Pay State.
HDDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:35 AM   #23
heRS

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
Max most RV places have dessicants. I work in retail and tons of product comes in with dessicant packs in the boxes so I've recycled some of those.

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:07 PM   #24
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

Thanks Tori

WEB LINKS
BUILD
TIMING CHAIN FAILURE
AFTER DETAIL PICS
Old 12-09-2011, 12:29 PM   #25
DarkAceXXX

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, 2006 Cobalt SS
I don't have mine that covered but I plan on driving it this winter on the nice days. I love driving it.
DarkAceXXX is offline   Reply With Quote