Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

HeadlightArmor
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:20 AM   #1
Neuf Cruz

Drives: 2011 LS Black on Black 6speed
Check engine light?

Happy Thanksgiving to all!
Yesterday my check engine light came on. I filled ties, checked and topped off oil, radiator reservoir. Not sure wha else to check. Lights still on. I do not have onstage so can't ask for diagnostic over Onstar. Bedes taking to dealer (I have tune) anyway to find out why? Code? Andy to reset light? Sorry or the stupid questions but nothing's open and need car.
Any help is greatly appreciated!

Roto-Fab CAI-Ported Throttle Body-Black Ice Isolator-Flow Master Axle Back-RX-Catch Can-Hurst Short Throw Shifter-Trifecta Tune\Ghost Cam

Phantom Billet Grill-Billet Fuel Door-Side Gills-Headlight Armor Black Out Kit-Zenik Rims-Lowering Springs-MGP Caliper Covers-Dome\Trunk\Footwell Lighting.
Neuf Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 08:22 AM   #2
Shortbus

Drives: 88 IROC Z28
You could take it to any AutoZone store, they can read the codes. Probably have to wait until tomorrow though.
Shortbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 08:49 AM   #3
cownipples

Drives: Silver Ice SS
If you recently filled up with gas check to make sure your gas cap is on right, this happened to me and I got a check engine light, I took off my gas cap and put it back on and my check engine light went off after about 20 miles.
cownipples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 09:34 AM   #4
Neuf Cruz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cownipples View Post
If you recently filled up with gas check to make sure your gas cap is on right, this happened to me and I got a check engine light, I took off my gas cap and put it back on and my check engine light went off after about 20 miles.
I just did! I will go check and cross fingers!
There is no way with my luck that this could be the solution!
Thanks

Roto-Fab CAI-Ported Throttle Body-Black Ice Isolator-Flow Master Axle Back-RX-Catch Can-Hurst Short Throw Shifter-Trifecta Tune\Ghost Cam

Phantom Billet Grill-Billet Fuel Door-Side Gills-Headlight Armor Black Out Kit-Zenik Rims-Lowering Springs-MGP Caliper Covers-Dome\Trunk\Footwell Lighting.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:56 AM   #5
DARK AGE 53

Drives: 2010 SS
If the light is steady on it's emission related, if it's flashing I would get it checked as soon as you can.

Last edited by DARK AGE 53; 11-28-2013 at 08:49 PM.
DARK AGE 53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:11 AM   #6
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
If car is running fine you should have no problem. Usually if serious the car will go into limp mode for reduced performance. Yous can tell and the DIC should be giving a message.
I would leave the light on so tomorrow you can find out from a place with an OBD2 scanner like autozone. If its really buggin you and you have a few minutes disconnect the battery for about 20min to clear the flag. If you have an LLT then your tune is not detectable by anyone but you or your tuner.
For the holidays you should be asking for a OBD2 hardware. Loads of good Bluetooth and WiFi dongles you can use with a smart phone so its always available.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:30 AM   #7
Neuf Cruz

Gas cap was fine. Light still on. Cars does run fine. I will check at autozone tomorrow.
Thanks guys

Old 11-28-2013, 10:32 AM   #8
turboguy327

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro
Check engine light?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARK AGE 53 View Post
If the light is flashing then it emission related, if it's flashing you need to get it checked ASAP.
Not true. Emissions don't need to be checked ASAP and a Check engine light ONLY flashes for cylinder misfires and those should be checked soon but if misfires are detected usually the light will stay on after a a second misfire event anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutbutt View Post
If car is running fine you should have no problem. Usually if serious the car will go into limp mode for reduced performance. Yous can tell and the DIC should be giving a message.
I would leave the light on so tomorrow you can find out from a place with an OBD2 scanner like autozone. If its really buggin you and you have a few minutes disconnect the battery for about 20min to clear the flag. If you have an LLT then your tune is not detectable by anyone but you or your tuner.
For the holidays you should be asking for a OBD2 hardware. Loads of good Bluetooth and WiFi dongles you can use with a smart phone so its always available.
Leave the battery connected. Don't clear the code. Scan it to see what the code is then clear with the scanner. A battery pull will make it a pain for diag for a tech or you later. If yor car car into my shop after you have been playing with it we would let it sit until there is nothing else to do. And most shops are like this. When a customer plays and doesn't know what they are doing just makes it a pain.
turboguy327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 11:25 AM   #9
DARK AGE 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboguy327 View Post
Not true. Emissions don't need to be checked ASAP and a Check engine light ONLY flashes for cylinder misfires and those should be checked soon but if misfires are detected usually the light will stay on after a a second misfire event anyway.
I forgot one important word in my reply, that's not. I'll correct that with better wording, thanks.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:26 AM   #10
Neuf Cruz

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboguy327 View Post

Leave the battery connected. Don't clear the code. Scan it to see what the code is then clear with the scanner. A battery pull will make it a pain for diag for a tech or you later. If yor car car into my shop after you have been playing with it we would let it sit until there is nothing else to do. And most shops are like this. When a customer plays and doesn't know what they are doing just makes it a pain.
Good point. Not going to clear it. Car is running fine so one fully ok as I have to go to Thanksgiving.
Wait, ths could be a good excuse to get out of visiting bathe in laws!

Old 11-28-2013, 12:09 PM   #11
TooCool5
Resident Gearhead

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Anybodies guess until you get the codes.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:55 PM   #12
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT
Buy yourself a scanner, they are cheap.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:43 PM   #13
Neuf Cruz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy82 View Post
Buy yourself a scanner, they are cheap.
Where can I buy one? Any brand recommendation and cost? Is it universal so if i get another type or an SS will it still work. This might go on the X Mas list!

If i go by dealer, do i have to remove my tune or go in and remove ghost cam?

Old 11-28-2013, 06:53 PM   #14
Kawirocket674

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuf Cruz View Post
Where can I buy one? Any brand recommendation and cost? Is it universal so if i get another type or an SS will it still work. This might go on the X Mas list!

If i go by dealer, do i have to remove my tune or go in and remove ghost cam?
I f you have a tuner it should read codes as well. Most do. Plug in your tuner and read the code.
Kawirocket674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 06:54 PM   #15
DARK AGE 53

Amazon has a Actron CP9125 PocketScan Code Reader for $40, allows you to read codes and clear them.....that's not to say it won't come back on after being cleared......you also can check to see if WalMart has the same model.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:00 PM   #16
turboguy327

Is the car under warranty? If so when you put the stock tune in to take to the dealer it will reset your monitors and clear the code so plan on driving the car without the tune til the code comes back.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:17 PM   #17
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
If the light is flashing then it emission related, if the light is on constant you need to get it checked ASAP.

you have that backwards. flashing means an engine misfire. steady means and emissions problem
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 08:44 PM   #18
DARK AGE 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10013 View Post
you have that backwards. flashing means an engine misfire. steady means and emissions problem
Hold on.....O.K, I just got my head out of my ass . I can't believe I typed that, my mind says one thing and I type another thing.

I will say a flashing light can mean several things, something I hope to never see.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:52 PM   #19
jd10013

Quote:
I will say a flashing light can mean several things, something I hope to never see.

no, it only means one thing, engine misfire.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:23 PM   #20
turboguy327

Quote:
Hold on.....O.K, I just got my head out of my ass . I can't believe I typed that, my mind says one thing and I type another thing.

A flashing MIL ONLY happens during an engine misfire. Diag could mean several things but if you see a a flashing MIL your engine is misfiring for one reason or another.
Old 11-29-2013, 02:08 PM   #21
Neuf Cruz

have codes

Went to Autozone and this is what they pulled up:

PO300

Definition: Cylinder misfire - random cylinders

Explanation: The powertrain control module monitors the crankshaft speed and has detected a misfire condition.

Probable cause:
-Ignition system fault-spark plug(s), ignition wires, coil.
-Vacuum leak
-Injector fault
-high or low fuel pressure

The car seems to be running fine. No change whatsoever.
Now I do have the Tri-Fecta Tune with ghost cam. I know the ghost cam works by misfiring.

What about disconnecting battery now and resetting and see if it comes back? Or if I take to dealer do I have to fully remove tune (I thought it was undetectable in a V6 and or just remove ghost cam?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again!

Old 11-29-2013, 04:24 PM   #22
turboguy327

It's not worth the risk to have the tune in the PCM when you go to the dealer. I'd clear it with the autozone scanner and drive the car normally. If the code comes back note the time it took. Then return the tune to stock and drive normal and see what happens if code returns within a reasonable time go to the dealer. If it runs fine id say it was ghost cam doing its thing.
Old 11-29-2013, 06:38 PM   #23
jd10013

they can tell when it's been tuned. they may or may not care, but they'll know.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:27 PM   #24
Neuf Cruz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10013 View Post
they can tell when it's been tuned. they may or may not care, but they'll know.
Not to start another debate but all this time I was under the same impression as many on here that they cant detect a tune on the v6. :

Besides clearing light with scanner. How do i do otherwise? Disconnect battery? + or -?
Or is it easier to remove a fuse? Which one and location of?

Thanks again.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:52 PM   #25
turboguy327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuf Cruz View Post
Not to start another debate but all this time I was under the same impression as many on here that they cant detect a tune on the v6. :

Besides clearing light with scanner. How do i do otherwise? Disconnect battery? + or -?
Or is it easier to remove a fuse? Which one and location of?

Thanks again.
They can tell if it has a tune loaded. There isn't a flash counter. If you tune and then return to stock they won't know.