Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JUICEDMOTORSPORTS
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-06-2013, 03:44 PM   #35
Shift_Rejected
2010 2SS RS

Drives: 2010 2SS RS (L99)
Ouch, Im sorry to hear that. I understand how safe these cars are, having totaled one myself.

I was just in the Poconos last weekend and driving the Camaro through them tight hills was not fun, I recommend observing or going under the speed limit.

On a side note, I'd love to come snag the GFX off your Camaro.. maybe leave the impound unlocked..
Attached Images

Shift_Rejected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 06:48 PM   #36
KeepItShut

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT/RS
Wow! That's absolutely crazy... Very glad that you and your wife are ok. I'd be hard pressed NOT to get another Camaro if I survived a wreck like that
KeepItShut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:29 PM   #37
skipinminn
Chiquita

Drives: 2013 1LE/1SS YELLO1LE 1 of Only 28
SOMETHING to think about!!!!!! If you'd been in a C7 you both would likely be dead. Just a thought.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:30 PM   #38
skipinminn
Chiquita

Drives: 2013 1LE/1SS YELLO1LE 1 of Only 28
^5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130R View Post
Glad you're ok! The Camaro is well designed!

I rented an Impala, and was rather impressed. It even had a better interior than my Camaro…

OT: I can't help but chuckle at this pic. It looks like it was taken right out of a Disney movie… LOL!
Notice the lights still work <<< LOL
Old 12-07-2013, 11:05 AM   #39
United_727
Parts Guru Extraordinair.

Drives: 02 SS SLP
I'm sure someone will buy it at the auction for parts.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:00 PM   #40
JorgeSS
Mayhem SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99 SW/IOM
Glad to hear you and your wife are ok
I hate these kind of things, people are just not careful on the road. They think it is a game

La Muerte Z71 - Stock 5.3 Tuned by File
JorgeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:10 PM   #41
Cuda7050

Drives: 2012 SS LS3
GM makes incredibly safe cars, far more safe than most of the other brands, its something that not talked about nearly enough.

Best wishes on your full recovery.
Buttonwillow 2:23.736
Sacramento Raceway 12.89 at 112 mph
Thunderhill 2:22.242
Cuda7050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:15 PM   #42
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Wow! That was an awful accident but I am very glad you & your wife came out okay. I know you miss your nice Camaro. There are many very lightly used Camaros out there. I bet you could search (or have a dealer search for you) around & find one with very few miles on it very close to the same as the one you had. Just a thought.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:27 PM   #43
Ambush
Rawr!

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT RS
took it like a champ. rest in peace.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:37 PM   #44
kevinw

Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
good to hear you all ok. yeah, would the new vette protect you like this pig camaro? why dont you look for a new 13? there are plenty still out there. i just got my new 2LT 2 months ago. good luck!
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:52 PM   #45
tripowergto
WHEELIEFEST 18 ~ 8/13/16

Drives: 14 Vette & Volt, 09 G8 GT, 02 Formu
I'd like to think I'll never experience such an accident EVER again so I'm not fixating on safety in my next purchase. However I am also considering a cheap lease Camaro LS stick in the new Red Rock Metallic @ $229/mo.
10 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS 426 HP LS3 "MAIDEN" (TOTALED!)
09 Stryker Blue G8 GT w/sport/prem/sunroof
06 GTO 400 HP LS2 6SPD(traded)
02 Firebird Formula LS1 HURST 6SPD(1st new car)
65 GTO Conv 389 Auto http://realrockpro.com/

tripowergto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:29 PM   #46
Cheveey57

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
IMO airbags are over-rated. If you were both wearing your belts in that crash you both would be fine, and the car would be an easy fix. But now thanks to those belts your car is totaled.
Glad you are fine, sorry for the Camaro.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:17 PM   #47
F-16 Camaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheveey57 View Post
IMO airbags are over-rated. If you were both wearing your belts in that crash you both would be fine, and the car would be an easy fix. But now thanks to those belts your car is totaled.
Glad you are fine, sorry for the Camaro.
This doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

First of all your speculating on a crash that happened in the past, with static variables that can no longer be changed. Which means your opinion is baseless and unfounded.

Also, airbags deploying doesn't "total" your car.

Furthermore, I'd love to see any supporting evidence that airbags are ineffective.

Thanks.
F-16 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:23 PM   #48
jessicamariella
Chase me...

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT
That stinks, but glad you and your wife are okay.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:10 PM   #49
Cheveey57

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by F-16 Camaro View Post
This doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

First of all your speculating on a crash that happened in the past, with static variables that can no longer be changed. Which means your opinion is baseless and unfounded.

Also, airbags deploying doesn't "total" your car.

Furthermore, I'd love to see any supporting evidence that airbags are ineffective.

Thanks.

I never said airbags were ineffective, I said they not necessary in most cases. If given a choice I not order them.
Last fall, a brand new BMW 3-series car rolled into the Old Dominion Carstar Collision Center in Eugene, Ore. - literally. A teenager was "driving dad's car," says shop owner Patty McConnell, and rolled it over - with little apparent structural damage. The teen walked away, and normally the damage wouldn't have been hard to repair. But the BMW had so many air bags "it looked like a balloon," recalls Ms. McConnell. The new car, worth more than $30,000, was totaled.

Costly air bags, expensive electronics, and lightweight body materials are driving up the cost of fixing new cars. Not only do many more parts have to be replaced rather than repaired, but fewer and fewer body shops can afford the special equipment and training required to do the work."We're moving closer and closer to the disposable car," says Dan Bailey, an executive vice president at Carstar, the largest auto-body repair franchise in the United States.

Repairing a new car a decade ago, for example, cost an average of $2,578 per claim, while in 2003, the cost had ballooned to $3,681, a 43 percent increase that has outpaced inflation, says Kim Hazelbaker, senior vice president and head of loss claims analysis with the Highway Loss Data Institute (HLDI) in Arlington, Va.

Normally it takes a lot of damage to total a brand-new vehicle. Insurance companies calculate the value of a car before the accident and subtract its value as scrap. As long as the result is more than the cost of repair, the car is worth fixing.

But many new cars today cost so much to fix that it's becoming harder to justify repairs. The BMW that hit McConnell's shop had dual front, side, and side- curtain air bags. Federal safety rules do not allow air bags to be reused. So each bag would have had to be replaced with a brand new one. The sensors and pyrotechnics that set them off also required replacement. Add the cost of labor, more than $1,000 for each air bag, and even more for the sensors, and the result is a totaled car.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:41 PM   #50
JCunningham

Drives: 2012 SIM 2SS/RS M6
a car is totaled at 65% of its value. Air bags total most older cars.
2012 2SS/RS M6 SIM, Painted CarbonFlash rally stripes, Elite CC&CAOS 3.91 gears, dynoed by J&J Speedshop New Era ported TB, CAI intake, Apex Scoop, Heritage Grill, PatG CamMotion cam, 25%Fluidampr, Melling 296 Oil pump, Katech C5-R chain, Cloyes LS2 tensioner, PAC1205x springs and pushrods, Comp Cams trunions. ImprovedRacing oil baffle, crank scraper, Monster Billet release bearing support, 18" remote bleeder, ARH 1 7/8" LT headers w/cats, TWM full Shifter, BMR sways, trailing arms, toe rods, delrin cradle bushings, BK039 rear control bushings, front bushings. Solo Mach-XL exhaust 477hp 466tq
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:53 PM   #51
KJS

Drives: '10 RJT,'95&'14 Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipinminn View Post
SOMETHING to think about!!!!!! If you'd been in a C7 you both would likely be dead. Just a thought.
^^

HUH??????? Do you know something GM, NHTSA, IIHS DOESN"T ??????

Mine at sunset
KJS is offline   Reply With Quote