Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-01-2016, 01:55 PM   #1
bandier
Got mine!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT - Yellow w/ Stripes
Catalytic Converter went bad

Dealer wants $1,600 to replace the left catalytic converter on my '10 2LT. I thought this would be an opportunity to replace with high flow cats but upon additional research I could not find any that are CARB compliant. Are there any CARB compliant high flow cats for my car?

Apparently these have a federally mandated warranty of 8 year / 80,000 miles. I'm at 88,000 so I missed the cut-off. I did get an extended warranty through CNA when I purchased it new but now being told the cats are excluded (allegedly due to the federal warranty). The only other thing I can do is lobby GM to warranty it. The service tech wasn't necessarily happy about going through the process but what do I have to lose? I might get lucky considering I'm not too far out of the warranty.

Any helpful suggestions other than move out of California?

Camaro lover since 1984 when I got my first car a 1978 Camaro LT with a 2 barrel carb on 305 V8... yes I put in a 350 with a 4 barrel.
bandier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 01:59 PM   #2
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
I would remove anything aftermarket attached to your engine before bringing your car back in, just so they have less chance of crying foul that something you did ruined the cat. ie-VTC, catch can, and anything else.
Now you probably know as well as I do that none of these CAN effect the cats, but hey, GM's denied warranty on cars for less--and they're even less likely to approve yours as you're technically out of warranty.
BMR 1" lowering springs, trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified FULLY 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. Tuned by Ronnie @ RS Motors in Burnsville.
438 WHP, 406 WTQ on a Mustang Dyno
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 02:30 PM   #3
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
High flows are illegal in CA. Check craigs list or Ebay for stockers.

BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan coil overs, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Dynamat, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 05:04 PM   #4
mushin77

Drives: 2015 Commerative Edition 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandier View Post
Dealer wants $1,600 to replace the left catalytic converter on my '10 2LT. I thought this would be an opportunity to replace with high flow cats but upon additional research I could not find any that are CARB compliant. Are there any CARB compliant high flow cats for my car?

Apparently these have a federally mandated warranty of 8 year / 80,000 miles. I'm at 88,000 so I missed the cut-off. I did get an extended warranty through CNA when I purchased it new but now being told the cats are excluded (allegedly due to the federal warranty). The only other thing I can do is lobby GM to warranty it. The service tech wasn't necessarily happy about going through the process but what do I have to lose? I might get lucky considering I'm not too far out of the warranty.

Any helpful suggestions other than move out of California?

Do you have to have the Dealer fix this? If you want to return it to working order why not go with a place that will put in quality aftermarket parts at reasonable labor rates? Although this won't net you the better performance at least you get to pick the arm or the leg it costs you rather than having to give up both.

Factory Installed "Mods":
Body Color Splitter, ZL1 Spoiler, Commemorative Edition 20 Inch Wheels w/ P-Zero's, CE Edition Badges, CE Silver and Red Accent Stripe, Flat Bottom Steering Wheel, Leather Wrapped Shift Knob, Adrenaline Red Leather Dash Accents, Commemorative Edition sill plates. Adrenaline Red stitching throughout.

My Installed Mods:
Cold Air Inductions - cold air intake.
mushin77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 02:35 PM   #5
bandier
Got mine!

UPDATE - My awesome service tech Maria at Quality Chevrolet got the part and work partially warrantied. They are asking I cover $570 out of the original estimate bill of $1,615. That's approximately 65% off. This is less than me purchasing the part myself at one of the GM parts direct websites. I'm stoked, although I really don't want to pay at all, I am delighted that I do not have to pay the whole bill. Cheers!

Camaro lover since 1984 when I got my first car a 1978 Camaro LT with a 2 barrel carb on 305 V8... yes I put in a 350 with a 4 barrel.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:52 PM   #6
bandier
Got mine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mushin77 View Post
Do you have to have the Dealer fix this? If you want to return it to working order why not go with a place that will put in quality aftermarket parts at reasonable labor rates? Although this won't net you the better performance at least you get to pick the arm or the leg it costs you rather than having to give up both.
No, I didn't have to have the dealer do the work but considering I was pursuing warranty work I prefer to go that route. I did call a few muffler places and was considering that route before the dealer gave the word on the approval for a partial warranty. With the deal the dealer offered, I actually made out to what the cost of the part was if I bought it online. I can't complain.

Old 06-25-2016, 02:38 PM   #7
RED10LS

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS/RS Silver
You could buy some take off cats on craigs list or Ebay very cheep.