Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JDP Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-06-2015, 12:48 AM   #1
fradaj

Drives: RS
Reliable Miles

I have a 2010 2LT/RS and I am about to turn 40,000 miles. I have had no problems with it what so ever. The car is still in excellent shape and I still like driving it. I might be tempted by a 2015 Mustang or the new Gen 6 Camaro, but I think my Gen 5 looks just as good or better than both. My question is how many more trouble free miles can I expect before any issues arise that I have to start putting substantial money into the car to keep it reliable. What kind of miles do you have on your cars? Any major issues with the LLT?
fradaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 04:35 AM   #2
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Closing in on 80K myself, no problems to date that cost me money. (knock on wood)..........and I have a laundry list of mods, been down the 1/4 track over 170 passes, multiple laps on spirited parade laps at the local road course, and a number of long weekend trips with the Camaro club. So far so good. I too take great care of my Camaro...Keep an eye on the oil, change it regularly (me less than 5K with Mobil 1). ...All should be good.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:07 AM   #3
KMPrenger

Drives: 06 Colorado, 16' SS on order
Best advice I can think of is to check the oil often, and maybe for the next 3 to four thousand miles, check it at every 1,000 mile interval and determine how much, if any, oil it is using.

Change the oil every 4 to 5K miles using high quality FULL synthetic blend.

Consider adding a high quality catch can to the car, and possibly an oil separator to the clean side PCV line as well.

That's the best you can do for this LLT motor. Bad part is you got it used, so you may not know how the previous owner took care of it.
CAR IS SOLD! Waiting on 6th gen IPF Tune, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Vararam intake, MACE Ported Manifold, RX Ported TB, "Black Ice" manifold insulator, Elite Catch Can, ZL1 repro wheels, ZL1 Springs, DRL Harness, Front GM GFX, Heritage grill, Street Scene lower grill, NLP Spoiler, ZL1 rockers and much more!
KMPrenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 02:53 PM   #4
Ventmaster

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS 1LT M6
I think he's the orig. owner, correct?
Airaid CAI, Rx ported TB, Mace ported IM, JBA shorty headers, Richmond 3.73, Borla touring axleback, Hurst short throw, NH-SS fix, IDEALG clutch m/c, FE4 struts,ZL1 toe rods/springs, Spohn trailing arms, Pfadt Racing front sway bar, JPSS FE4 rear sway and radius arm inserts, Pedders rear subframe bushing inserts, 2LT gauge pkg.TSW Nurburgs. IPF S/C
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 04:34 PM   #5
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT
Over 124k miles, no problems with the motor. Stay up to date on maintainance and you should be golden.

BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sway bars, LSR CM control arms & toe links, Sphon HD end links, GM strut tower brace, Megan Racing coil overs, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, RX catch can, Vararam Ram Air intake, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Dynamat, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, IPF Tuned, IPF Supercharger ORDERED.
Dizzy82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 04:37 PM   #6
MagnumForceGB

Drives: 2010 Camaro V6 / 2014 Mustang 5.0
Major issues would be the timing chain, but like others say, make sure the oil is changed in 5k miles and it should last. Mine is 51k miles with 20k on a supercharger with very hard runs.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:01 PM   #7
fradaj

I do have an RX catch can installed. I did buy the car used with 29,000 miles on it. My car has been using oil but I keep a good check on it and add oil as necessary. My biggest worry is the serpentine belt, I inspected it a few weeks back, looked good with no cracks. How long is a serpentine belt supposed to last? I don't remember reading anything about a recommended replacement interval in the owners manual. I only put about 5,000 miles a year on the car so I figure when I get to 60,000 in about 4 years I will be ready for something new. That is my plan anyway. It is good to hear that the LLT is a reliable engine, even under boost and used as a drag racer. Mine is strictly for driving on the street. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:04 PM   #8
fradaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy82 View Post
Over 124k miles, no problems with the motor. Stay up to date on maintainance and you should be golden.

124K with no problems, sounds good. The only worry I have is with the oil usage that I have been having.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:39 PM   #9
Evil-Bee-NH
WEEEEE!!!!!!!!

Drives: Black 2011 Camaro 2LS
93k here zero issues installed the catch can at 25k. Think oil maintenance is your big one honestly.
Roto-Fab CAI | Ark N-II Exhaust | Elite Oil Catch Can | Setina Push Bumper | Vmax Ported TB | Vitesse Throttle Controller | VMax Ice-olator | EmblemPro's Custom Badges | Painted Underhood Accessories | Custom T3 Carbon Fiber Stripes | Vitesse Paddle Shifters
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:00 AM   #10
TooCool5
Resident Gearhead

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
I backed my oil changes down to 4k with synthetic Dexos blend. (Current GM recommendation)
35k and no problems to date. Must be a free wheeling motor as I get 33-34 Hwy MPG.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:11 PM   #11
fradaj

Checked my oil this weekend, it just barley touched the end of the dipstick with the engine cold. FYI you are only 1 quart low at that point. Oil pressure was good the last time I drove it. It has been about 2 months since I checked the oil, so a rough guestimate is I am using about 1/2 quart per month. I am going to start watching it closer though.