Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Trunk Monkey Parts
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-19-2016, 09:54 PM   #1
Lamborghini1616

Drives: Bright Red 2014 Camaro 2LS
Question Questions About Carven Exhaust & Smoked Lights

Hi there!

I have a 2014 Camaro 2LS and I am looking to produce a better sound from the car. The stock exhaust sounds good, but I am looking for one that doesn't muffle the sound as much and for an overall better sound.

A friend referred me to a "Carven Exhaust" and showed me a video on youtube of how it sounds, and it sounds terrific!

However, I can't seem to find the exhaust anywhere and I'm curious to see if anyone has heard the name "Carven" for Camaros before.

Video: https://youtu.be/azz0M8sQoDw

If you know of any other nice sounding exhausts, please feel free to list any.

Also, I've seen smoked tail lights and headlights before and I love the look. However, is it worth getting?

I appreciate any help, thanks!
Lamborghini1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 06:11 AM   #2
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2014 1LT RS
I like the look of "smoked" taillights and headlights myself, however, I prefer to not have them as I want to have as much light as possible up front to see farther, and give off as much light in the rear as possible to reduce the chances of some dumbass driving into me.

As for the exhaust. I haven't heard of "Carven" but I had a custom cat-back installed where the factory H-pipe was replaced with a resonated X-pipe (by Magnaflow, part # 11386, essentially a muffler in the form of an X-pipe) and then the rest of the exhaust was replace with 2.5" pipe, eliminating the factory resonators and mufflers, and it sounds pretty sweet, especially after 3000 RPM or so.

Eventually I plan to do the high-flow cats from Solo Performance which will deepen the tone further; when I get to this point I am going to see what it sounds like with just the high-flow assemblies - which have built-in resonators - installed (so basically just straight pipe after the high-flow assemblies, with a straight-through X-pipe, etc.).
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 05:33 PM   #3
Phil_ar

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamborghini1616 View Post
Hi there!

I have a 2014 Camaro 2LS and I am looking to produce a better sound from the car. The stock exhaust sounds good, but I am looking for one that doesn't muffle the sound as much and for an overall better sound.

A friend referred me to a "Carven Exhaust" and showed me a video on youtube of how it sounds, and it sounds terrific!

However, I can't seem to find the exhaust anywhere and I'm curious to see if anyone has heard the name "Carven" for Camaros before.

Video: https://youtu.be/azz0M8sQoDw

If you know of any other nice sounding exhausts, please feel free to list any.

Also, I've seen smoked tail lights and headlights before and I love the look. However, is it worth getting?

I appreciate any help, thanks!

Carven's are great. I don't run a system myself but have heard them before in person (not on Camaro though).

If you do want to get them installed, Mike's Exhaust in Los Angeles is a great place as Carven is one of their top sellers.

P
Phil_ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 11:26 PM   #4
Lamborghini1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_ar View Post
Carven's are great. I don't run a system myself but have heard them before in person (not on Camaro though).

If you do want to get them installed, Mike's Exhaust in Los Angeles is a great place as Carven is one of their top sellers.

P
So Camaros can actually get Carvens on them? I always saw that they were truck exhausts and stuff. Can you get more specific on what that exhaust was in the video I linked in my original post?

Also, I don't live near LA, but I bet I can order online and get a garage to do it for me.

Last edited by Lamborghini1616; 09-20-2016 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Lack of details
Old 09-20-2016, 11:29 PM   #5
Lamborghini1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillboyPowerhead View Post
I like the look of "smoked" taillights and headlights myself, however, I prefer to not have them as I want to have as much light as possible up front to see farther, and give off as much light in the rear as possible to reduce the chances of some dumbass driving into me.

As for the exhaust. I haven't heard of "Carven" but I had a custom cat-back installed where the factory H-pipe was replaced with a resonated X-pipe (by Magnaflow, part # 11386, essentially a muffler in the form of an X-pipe) and then the rest of the exhaust was replace with 2.5" pipe, eliminating the factory resonators and mufflers, and it sounds pretty sweet, especially after 3000 RPM or so.

Eventually I plan to do the high-flow cats from Solo Performance which will deepen the tone further; when I get to this point I am going to see what it sounds like with just the high-flow assemblies - which have built-in resonators - installed (so basically just straight pipe after the high-flow assemblies, with a straight-through X-pipe, etc.).
So for smoked tail lights, would you suggest getting them or rather not? Is it a big police magnet? I'm thinking no on the smoked tail lights, (maybe headlights) but I really like the look of them!

As for your exhaust suggestions, what's the general price for something that you listed? Also, what exactly is the exhaust you listed? I'm new to all of this stuff so yeah XD
Old 09-21-2016, 06:07 AM   #6
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2014 1LT RS
The exhaust I mentioned was a custom one, done by my local Zoro Muffler. The exhaust for the LFX engine (2012+ Camaro V6) is as such:

The exhaust manifolds are integrated/built into the cylinder heads of the engine so we can't replace them (i.e. we can't do "headers"); instead, the catalytic converter assemblies (which each contain two catalytic converters) bolt directly to the engine. The engine has a true dual exhaust system so there is one cat assembly on either side which then ties into an H-pipe; up to this point the pipes are 2.5" OD, then after the H-pipe the pipes reduce to 2.25" OD, and then we have resonators, mufflers and then tips.

What I did was remove the factory H-pipe and replace with a "resonated" X-pipe (muffler in the form of an X-pipe), and then removed the rest of the piping downward and replaced with 2.5" pipe, removing the resonators and mufflers.

The high-flow cats I mentioned would replace the factory cat assemblies with an assembly that has a single, "high-flow" cat (less restrictive) along with a built-in resonator (resonators help deepen the tone by cancelling out the faster-moving, higher pitch gases; you need a certain amount of resonation/muffling or else you'll get a high pitch "raspy" noise which typically sounds terrible, and when replacing restrictive catalytic converters - two in this case - with high-flow ones there is that much less muffling, so the built-in resonators help to keep a nice sound while providing more gas flow and, therefore, potentially more power). You can also get high-flow cats without the resonator, but you may experience some "rasp" at higher RPMs depending on the rest of your exhaust.

There are other various exhaust systems out there including axle-backs (replace everything from the axle back, so basically the mufflers), cat-backs (replace everything after the cats including mufflers - basically what I had done), high-flow cats, and finally headers. I chose to go custom as I figured it would be the most free-flowing as well as being cheaper. The cost of the resonated X-pipe was $160 total (I live in Canada so everything costs way more up here ), and then I paid about $675 for the custom piping.

Regarding the smoked light covers, it's all personal preference - if you like them then go for it - I just chose not too... yet. Google some pictures and see what you think.
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 02:25 PM   #7
Phil_ar

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamborghini1616 View Post
So Camaros can actually get Carvens on them? I always saw that they were truck exhausts and stuff. Can you get more specific on what that exhaust was in the video I linked in my original post?

Also, I don't live near LA, but I bet I can order online and get a garage to do it for me.

No idea which one that is sorry. I don't like ordering exhausts online. Best thing you can do is go to a shop that has a wide selection of mufflers, have em chop your stock mufflers and let you listen to a variety of systems until you find one you like.

Phil
Phil_ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 09:32 PM   #8
Lamborghini1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_ar View Post
No idea which one that is sorry. I don't like ordering exhausts online. Best thing you can do is go to a shop that has a wide selection of mufflers, have em chop your stock mufflers and let you listen to a variety of systems until you find one you like.

Phil
Bro that works perfectly. I like how they let you choose the sound; I'll go visit a shop one day, I think that's easier.

Thanks for all of your help!

Tags
#v6