Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:02 AM   #26
Spartan01

Drives: Evil Eva, 2010 2SS LS3
OP-
I see your point.
I mean I do think the new Corvette is an amazing machine, but it firmly belongs in the exotic class, even though most racing snobs will never accept an American Production car into their realm.
The corvette looks like it should make that high-pitched whine that exotic foreign mid engine high rpm cars make, not that ultra manly low and throaty growl that Camaros make.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:03 AM   #27
mikeyg36
The GT Troll Hundred

Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopyAce7 View Post
What does your post about C7's have to do with the Camaro as a "dying breed"? ....even though sales are higher than ever....
This.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:04 AM   #28
TOYMARO

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS 2SS
IMO

Camaro = the everyday mans sports car
Vette = THE American sports car

The new vette looks great. Aero policies with cars will always make the TOP supercars look similar. Just my .02
TOYMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:05 AM   #29
2SS 2011

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 Black
they took the lights from the Camaro and restyled them and put that stupid side window in.. love the car if it wasn't for that window..
2SS 2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:11 AM   #30
SSDan

Drives: 2010 SS LS3 VR
As it always is with anything "my perception is my reality". So, I think the c7 looked great in 2D in photos. When I saw one in person I was underwhelmed. It looks more like a C6 with some extra vents, louvers and a really busy, plastic looking rear end. It looks like a corvette. No one is going to confuse it with a European exotic which is just fine. It's a corvette fully modernized and full of performance potential. Overall it is better than any Corvette since the 60's Stingrays and I'm sure the looks will grow on me - I just don't find the looks as revolutionary amazing as others. It's more evolutionary.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:15 AM   #31
newagemuscle
Philippians 4:13

Drives: SLP Supercharged LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADM101 View Post
Am I the only one who feels as if Chevy lost sight of its heritage and made the new corvettes too much like a European style car? Don't get me wrong I love what they did INSIDE the engine bay,but to me as a corvette fan I feel like if you want that muscle look from Chevy,it's a camaro or nothing
I love the heritage/retro style of the Camaro too, but it's all about a company reinventing themselves or the product will grow old and be left behind. Look at the Mustang... they were the first to really hit the retro styling phase and it was a home run for Ford… It also forced GM to peruse the same retro direction with the rebirth of the 5th gen Camaro. If you notice, especially with the official Mustang pics released today Ford is now slightly moving in a different direction. I think change is good and I think what GM has done with the C7 is a good direction. It was time for change with that car. A lot of the Styling ques they were hanging onto I feel were holding them back from moving forward in the styling department. Remember when the flip up lights went by by... die hard Corvette fans hated it. I think the Vette would be so dated looking if it had flip up lights today. The headlight design is such a styling characteristic in cars these days. I agree it does have a more european styling, but to me it still retains the DNA of a Corvette. The next gen Camaro (2016) will probably hang on to a refined retro styling, but I would not be surprised if you see GM moving away from it with the 7th gen of the Camaro. Only time will tell.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:17 AM   #32
SabotAndHeat

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I blame the psuedo Communist Government in China who, to my knowledge, still owns the controlling shares of GM through SAIC.

Heart breaking because GM was rabidly anti-Communist in the 30's and 40's.
SabotAndHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:19 AM   #33
mako22

Drives: 2011 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopyAce7 View Post
What does your post about C7's have to do with the Camaro as a "dying breed"? ....even though sales are higher than ever....
exactly. This thread should be called "the C7 is too euro looking for me"

mako22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:22 AM   #34
Cheveey57

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
If the new Vette was released and badged by Ferrari, people would have said nice car. But it is American and It is losing its American look. Do I like it? yeah it's ok but, I still hate the center mounted tailpipes.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:28 AM   #35
NJScorpio

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LS, Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheveey57 View Post
If the new Vette was released and badged by Ferrari, people would have said nice car. But it is American and It is losing its American look. Do I like it? yeah it's ok but, I still hate the center mounted tailpipes.
To me, the C7 looks like a Corvette designed by Ferrari, but retaining some of the heft that makes an American car look American. So more like an older Ferrari. All this is a good thing, IMO. Actually, I like it's style much more than any recent Ferrari. GM is doing great with Cadillac products in comparison to current BMWs. There is nothing wrong with GM taking some cues from Eurpoean manufactures in an effort to out do them.
NJScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:58 AM   #36
CamaroBlue

Drives: IBM 2010 Camaro SS
[/QUOTE]

It just never gets old looking at this beauty
CamaroBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:00 AM   #37
ADM101
Aspiring for Greatness

Drives: Deep Blue,Straight Piped LS 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales @ CAI Inc View Post
People in the 60's 70's 80's probably said the exact same thing. Designs and looks change over the years, its just what is relative to you and what you grew up with as a "muscle car" look. I know what you are trying to say, but I think each generation can say the same thing.
That's a valid point,I guess being so young I get caught up in the past
ADM101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:04 AM   #38
ADM101
Aspiring for Greatness

Drives: Deep Blue,Straight Piped LS 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan01 View Post
OP-
I see your point.
I mean I do think the new Corvette is an amazing machine, but it firmly belongs in the exotic class, even though most racing snobs will never accept an American Production car into their realm.
The corvette looks like it should make that high-pitched whine that exotic foreign mid engine high rpm cars make, not that ultra manly low and throaty growl that Camaros make.
Summed up perfectly
ADM101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:18 AM   #39
bowtiefamily

Drives: Chevrolet
Historically the Corvette has been futuristic and trend setting. There are self proclaimed purists out there that talk about how the C7 has left its heritage. The C7 is all about its heritage from the mono leaf rear suspension to the C1 grill. It is an absolute amazing design and engineering acomplishment for Corvette! The C5 Camaro speaks for its self with sales......heck it is even more desired by the thieves.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:19 AM   #40
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2003 GMC Envoy SLE/2000 Ford Ranger
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabotAndHeat View Post
I blame the psuedo Communist Government in China who, to my knowledge, still owns the controlling shares of GM through SAIC.

Heart breaking because GM was rabidly anti-Communist in the 30's and 40's.
Lolwutt.

My Cars: 2003 GMC Envoy SLE, 2000 Ford Ranger XLT (State-issued)
Extended Family: 2013 GMC Terrain SLE, 1998 GMC Sonoma SLS Extended Cab

FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:21 AM   #41
AZCamaroFan
6 Years on Camaro5

Drives: Camaros
Quote:
Am I the only one who feels as if Chevy lost sight of its heritage and made the new corvettes too much like a European style car? Don't get me wrong I love what they did INSIDE the engine bay,but to me as a corvette fan I feel like if you want that muscle look from Chevy,it's a camaro or nothing
no, Camaro and Corvette are instantly recognizable as what they are
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:33 AM   #42

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
...Of course the Corvette is a Euro-type thing...Two seater sports cars originated in Europe and were the up-scale car there....GM building one in the US was revolutionary and quite a risk...(going European in the 50's???)....It was a stroke of genius and the rest is history....What made the Vette's uniquely American was the "muscle-car" type power-plants, not the styling....It's a world class car, whereas not so much for the Camaro...just my $.02...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:43 AM   #43
BlaqWhole

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
It is NOT a Euro look. It is a sleek and aerodynamic look. The car was built so that its looks would be functional. Europeans do not own the market on sleek, low, aerodynamic, and sharp lines. The body of this vehicle helps it at high speeds and in cornering and cuts down on wind resistance. It gets tested at race tracks all across the world. And at the level it gets tested on, the looks can greatly affect how it performs. And it is a general look that ALL manufacturers produce to win. So yes, all the higher priced cars will have a somewhat identical look. But to give the Europeans credit or to say that we're copying them in this regard is just not cool.

Esmeralda (03 GT) - UDP, CAI, PP intake manifold/upper plenum/75mm TB, 4.10s, fully rebuilt/upgraded trans w/ Transpak, 2400 stall converter, full O/R exhaust, 04 Cobra tank/dual 255 LPH pumps, Sniper Tune!!

Saving the world...1 hp at a time!!
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:57 AM   #44
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
You know, at some point if GM is going to advance their product lines, they HAVE to make changes. People want them to make new and exciting cars but when they make changes people freak out and complain that they made changes. It's one thing to criticize; it's quite another to contribute something meaningful that can help them create the car you want them to.

I think everyone is pretty good with the performance side of things; all the car manufacturers are making performance improvements that are making today's cars better than anything before. That's great. Where it seems the drama is coming from is the styling and appearance. And believe it or not, that's a significantly more difficult area to develop for than anything mechanical. Everyone seems to have their own idea of what looks good, but VERY FEW have the ability to make that into an image that can be produced.

I spent quite a bit of time creating my idea of what I'd like to see for the 6th gen in my thread that I think many of you looked at. It was a far more difficult project than I anticipated. You don't find out what people like or don't like until you produce something; and by that time you've already invested a fair amount of effort just to get to that point. You do your best based on what you think looks good. People don't tell you what they like or don't like until AFTER you've reached that point which makes it pretty daunting to change course if they don't like it. Just saying you don't like it doesn't really give the designer much to work with to help them make changes. I have a great deal of respect for what a car design team has to go through to create a car. My exercise was strictly academic; theirs is life or death; my career is on the line; will I lose my job/department; if we come up with a turkey will the company go out of business. I'm sure it's great to be working on something exciting like a performance car, but at the same time the stress level has to be tremendous.

I would challenge anyone who doesn't like the direction GM is going in, to take the time and help them come up with the direction you DO want them to go in. And be specific; give them something tangible they can use to help guide them. Pull together images or the parts of an image you like. Describe features, colors, looks, styles, etc. that you would like to see. Don't just say or imply "you guys suck". That's discouraging and counter-productive; help don't hinder.

I think we're very fortunate that the Camaro team is so pro-customer and actually views these forums and converses with us. They DO listen and they DO care. Take advantage of that and give them useful feedback.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:08 AM   #45
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: SS 45th, Boss 302, Z51 Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
You know, at some point if GM is going to advance their product lines, they HAVE to make changes. People want them to make new and exciting cars but when they make changes people freak out and complain that they made changes. It's one thing to criticize; it's quite another to contribute something meaningful that can help them create the car you want them to.

I think everyone is pretty good with the performance side of things; all the car manufacturers are making performance improvements that are making today's cars better than anything before. That's great. Where it seems the drama is coming from is the styling and appearance. And believe it or not, that's a significantly more difficult area to develop for than anything mechanical. Everyone seems to have their own idea of what looks good, but VERY FEW have the ability to make that into an image that can be produced.

I spent quite a bit of time creating my idea of what I'd like to see for the 6th gen in my thread that I think many of you looked at. It was a far more difficult project than I anticipated. You don't find out what people like or don't like until you produce something; and by that time you've already invested a fair amount of effort just to get to that point. You do your best based on what you think looks good. People don't tell you what they like or don't like until AFTER you've reached that point which makes it pretty daunting to change course if they don't like it. Just saying you don't like it doesn't really give the designer much to work with to help them make changes. I have a great deal of respect for what a car design team has to go through to create a car. My exercise was strictly academic; theirs is life or death; my career is on the line; will I lose my job/department; if we come up with a turkey will the company go out of business. I'm sure it's great to be working on something exciting like a performance car, but at the same time the stress level has to be tremendous.

I would challenge anyone who doesn't like the direction GM is going in, to take the time and help them come up with the direction you DO want them to go in. And be specific; give them something tangible they can use to help guide them. Pull together images or the parts of an image you like. Describe features, colors, looks, styles, etc. that you would like to see. Don't just say or imply "you guys suck". That's discouraging and counter-productive; help don't hinder.

I think we're very fortunate that the Camaro team is so pro-customer and actually views these forums and converses with us. They DO listen and they DO care. Take advantage of that and give them useful feedback.
It's clear and simple to see/read nitwit remarks vs. objective/constructive feedback.

Well said.

Blade Silver/Z51 & 7-spd/Body Color & Transparent Roof/CF Dash/Z51 Caps/Splash Guards
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:14 AM   #46
SimpleGreen

Drives: 2013 1SS/1LE IOM
I love the new Corvette. Based on looks and stats alone if I had the money I would order one sight unseen.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:19 AM   #47
Slayer1677

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesiom Summers View Post
for me Corvette always had an bit of euro hidden somewhere, specially the Stingrays, but really the Corvette and Camaro set them apart from japan and euro cars...

I think Chevy is trying too wash the image of the corvette to catch "younger buyers"
I agree that Chevy has really changed their look for the Corvette to make it look a bit more European. However, the lines of the car just looking at it screams Corvette. I think they have stuck with the tradition of the car's shape while making it modern and like you said a bit more appealing to the "younger" individual. I think the interior of the C7's are a HUGE step up from what they were doing in the past as well. When it comes down to it I wish that this "young buyer" could afford one now because I think they are bad ass.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:33 AM   #48
MLL67RSSS

Drives: 67 Indy Pace Car
Well at least the chief designer of the C7 has that on his resume now, and not just that he was also the chief designer of the Pontiac Aztec!!!

http://jalopnik.com/the-guy-in-charg...the-1440352459
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:41 PM   #49
SabotAndHeat

Drives: 2010 Camaro
@ FenwickHockey

Lolwutt?

http://blogs.motortrend.com/inside-d...aic-13985.html

http://news.yahoo.com/gm-says-china-...--finance.html
SabotAndHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:12 PM   #50
Fiftydriver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS RJT L99
Quote:
The corvette has pretty much always been an economy level supercar design except for perhaps the first gen.

The corvette, in the past 40 years has never been in the muscle car category, not sure what your seeing but the corvette look just like it should for the category of car it is.

2010 SSRS, RJTC, L99, Maggie 2300 SC, 3.4" pulley, Roto-Fab CAI, Dynatech Supermaxx LT headers, Dynatech High Flow cats, Corsa Cat back exhaust, Elite Engineering catch can, MSD wires and Jannetty custom tune, JRE custom diff w/ posi mod, 3.91 LPE gears, Pfaht trailing arms, Pfaht trailing arm and Diff bushings, drop springs and sport sway bars front and back, Fesler dual guage pillar pod w/ AM Cobalt Boost and A/F guages.

LS3 conversion, LPE dual fuel pump, Upgraded injectors, JRE Maggie Stage 2 upgrade kit, JRE smooth Idle Blower cam. Looking for 700 RWHP in the end.
Fiftydriver is offline   Reply With Quote