Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

B&M
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing Discussions on mechanical maintenance and servicing of your Camaro

Old 11-22-2013, 10:26 PM   #1
TannerJPowell

Drives: 2012 2SS M6
SS Limited slip diff fluid part numbers and picture

Picked up some fluid today to do a drain and fill on the diff.

This is the fluid recommended in the tsb for rear differential popping (tsb PI-0137A).

The part numbers have been revised by GM since that tsb and they are now:

1 qt. SAE 75W-90 SYNTHETIC AXLE LUBRICANT - 88900401
4 oz. LIMITED SLIP AXLE LUBRICANT ADDITIVE - 88900330

The best part!, it's grape scented! But don't try to smell it because it's an irritant to everything.
Attached Images

TannerJPowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 06:41 AM   #2
SSMickey
SECC

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
Unless they have changed the TSB or issued another one I'm not aware of, your fluid is the old stuff. The fluid called for in the TSB is/was the factory ZL-1 fluid with the friction modifier already added. P/N on my bottle is 1#88862624.
Vengeance Stage II Cam, Halltech CAI, RX Catch Can, Full ARH Exhaust, QTP Cutouts, Powerbond 25% Underdrive, MGW Shifter, MTI Drop Springs, Forgeline RB3C Wheels, 3.91 gears, Night Owl LED Control System
SSMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 04:21 PM   #3
TannerJPowell

Drives: 2012 2SS M6
If you don't have the updated seals don't you have to use the old stuff and add the modifier?

But I think you're right, the latest revision of the tsb says to replace the seals too?

My '12 was manufactured in mid to late 2011. I'm assuming it has the old seals... but I could be wrong?

Tsb:
PI0137A: Rear Axle Chatter Type Noise on Low Speed Turns - (Feb 24, 2011)

Subject:

Rear Axle Chatter Type Noise on Low Speed Turns

Models:

2010-2011 Chevrolet Camaro Equipped with Limited-Slip Differential (RPO G80)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PI is being revised to add the 2011 model year. Please discard PI0137.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern

Some customers may comment on a chatter-type noise from the rear of the vehicle while making low speed turns.

This condition may be caused by a slip/stick of the posi-traction clutch plates. As the plates slip and stick, a jumping or jerking feel occurs, accompanied by a chatter noise.

Recommendation/Instructions

Important: Prior to adding the limited-slip axle additive, the bottle MUST be shaken vigorously for at least one minute to mix the additive thoroughly, then immediately poured into the differential.

Drain and refill the rear differential with new fluid, GM P/N 89021677 (in Canada, use P/N 89021678) and additive, GM P/N 1052358 (in Canada, use P/N 992694). Refer to the Differential Oil Replacement procedure in SI.

Once the differential fluid has been changed, the vehicle must be driven in eight tight figure eight maneuvers to heat the fluid and allow the additive to be worked into the clutch plates
TannerJPowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 05:45 PM   #4
SSMickey
SECC

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
Correct, the newest version, states to replace the seals and fill with the LS Gear Oil, which is the part number in my post above. Something about seal incompatibility and the new oil. The LS oil has the friction modifier already in it. We did this TSB to my diff and the noise went away. I'm not sure what the new seal part number is. A lot of people have had good luck with just adding more friction modifier to the diff. I believe some were adding an extra bottle.
Vengeance Stage II Cam, Halltech CAI, RX Catch Can, Full ARH Exhaust, QTP Cutouts, Powerbond 25% Underdrive, MGW Shifter, MTI Drop Springs, Forgeline RB3C Wheels, 3.91 gears, Night Owl LED Control System
SSMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:20 AM   #5
Snidely Whiplash
Suppressed HK co-pilot

Drives: '14 2SS bright yellow LS3 w/sunroof
Replacing the seals is a breeze considering what Dodge did to the Ram trucks in 1998. They changed the metal alloy in the ring and pinion gears and greatly lowered the oil viscosity. Right after my 50,000 mile warranty went out, the rear howled like crazy. I had to spend $840 to replace the screwed up gears. No recall so I had to eat the repair costs.
2014 LS3 - BMR full poly rear trailing arms, LG Motorsports Super Pro 1 7/8" headers, 3" full exhaust, 2.5" inlet GHL mufflers, LGM tune by Anthony Forney (in the heat and humidity of a Texas July) - barely broken in with 1500 miles on it - 409.83 RWHP with 401.10 RW torque WITH STOCK AIRBOX

Back when folks were killing brain cells huffing glue, I was huffing 327s with a 6-71 and having more fun than the glue guys.
Snidely Whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:55 AM   #6
VQ35DE

Drives: 2013 / 2SS / RS / L99
Use Dexron LS like I did. Same seals and no leaks.
VQ35DE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:59 AM   #7
redredrage

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS manual all stock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snidely Whiplash View Post
Replacing the seals is a breeze considering what Dodge did to the Ram trucks in 1998. They changed the metal alloy in the ring and pinion gears and greatly lowered the oil viscosity. Right after my 50,000 mile warranty went out, the rear howled like crazy. I had to spend $840 to replace the screwed up gears. No recall so I had to eat the repair costs.
which is likely why you're driving a chevy today. i had my entire exhaust manifold back replaced because of the muffler baffels. no hassels.....
redredrage is offline   Reply With Quote