Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Rick@Livernois
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics Camaro ZL1 specific topics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2013, 01:41 AM   #1
musclecarguy
 
Drives: camaro zl1 manual black
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Fresno, California
Posts: 10
Exclamation LSA Supercharger problems?!?!

For the past three months or so I have been hearing a very strange and very concerning noise from my beloved zl1. Now it started as a small whining when I started the car but eventually progressed untill it would whine all the time. No this was no regular whine as it sounded as a bearing was worn out, I have spent a great deal of my life tinkering in the garage with my father on anything from an old Honda odessey to a P.O.S. dune buggy and I knew something was seriously wrong. After four different visists to the local Chevy dealer they consistently claimed it was just a normal noise te car makes and showed me some bulletin which explained that a marblin noise could be heard from about 500-1500 rpms a problem a lot of caddy cts-v owners have discovered. Well I got the car back yesterday after having them replace my supercharger entirely, they won't say what happened with the old one and are acting as if they hardly know what's going on themselves...I am not here to bash the zl1 I love the car and have no complaints about my local dealership but I do want to make publi my endeavors so people are aware and contentious.
musclecarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:03 AM   #2
HDRDTD


 
Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Trenton, Michigan
Posts: 4,125
As far as I know, the SC is treated by GM as an assembly from the supplier, meaning GM does not service the SC itself, the whole SC as a unit gets replaced and returned to the supplier.

The marble noise you refer to is a well-known issue and is discussed in multiple threads here.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:01 AM   #3
djnice
 
djnice's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 ZL1 SIM, 99 Z28 Black
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 539
The whinning screeching noise that keeps getting worse is different than the normal marble noise from the coupler. I have never heard exactly what causes the screech noise, but I would look at lack of lube oil on the gears, bad bearing, or too tight clearance.

Its irritating that the dealer canīt differentiate screech from marble. I have seen a few discussions about this on some of the corvette ZR1 sites.
__________________
2013 ZL1 - SIM, 6 spd, RotoFab CAI, Craftsman Can. / 1999 Z28 - Black, 6 spd, K&N, Subframe. / More Fun Stuff - www.inlandspeed.com
djnice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:08 AM   #4
hognutz


 
hognutz's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: tangent or
Posts: 2,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by musclecarguy View Post
For the past three months or so I have been hearing a very strange and very concerning noise from my beloved zl1. Now it started as a small whining when I started the car but eventually progressed untill it would whine all the time. No this was no regular whine as it sounded as a bearing was worn out, I have spent a great deal of my life tinkering in the garage with my father on anything from an old Honda odessey to a P.O.S. dune buggy and I knew something was seriously wrong. After four different visists to the local Chevy dealer they consistently claimed it was just a normal noise te car makes and showed me some bulletin which explained that a marblin noise could be heard from about 500-1500 rpms a problem a lot of caddy cts-v owners have discovered. Well I got the car back yesterday after having them replace my supercharger entirely, they won't say what happened with the old one and are acting as if they hardly know what's going on themselves...I am not here to bash the zl1 I love the car and have no complaints about my local dealership but I do want to make publi my endeavors so people are aware and contentious.
I have never taken one appart but I think what I read was the front bearing runs dry basically. It can be replace theoretically but Eaton does not allow dealers to do this.

In there defense they don't build the supercharger Eaton does. It is not a dealer service item they pull it and put a new one on. They may not even really know. For what ever reason Eaton does not allow service at that level So a dealer Tech's experience is going to but R&R the assembly and proabably not much more.

now take what I just said with a grain of salt mine has not failed yet so that is just what I have read from posts about other people having the issue.

If you could get the right person on the phone and Eaton which may be difficult as they are a huge company they could proabably give better tech on the issue.
__________________
2013 ZL1
2013 Dart
2013 Megacab 8" lift 38"mt's
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:02 AM   #5
gen=5

 
gen=5's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 ZL1 vert blac fastlane/LPE 750
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: houston
Posts: 1,042
this is the fix LINGENFELTER SUPERCHARGER ISOLATOR COUPLING LS9 LSA ENGINE 2009-2014 gm will most likely just install a new blower with the same spring set up,and it will happen again,the funny thing is that on the ctsv they have started installing the solid isolator from the factory or at least i read that,but not the ZL1,GM does not allow their techs to install the part which is dumb since its a simple swap to do ...go find a good tuner shop and have the aftermarket fix done...as its been said this has been covered at least 50 times...good luck
__________________
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=346589 CHECK OUT THE BUILDING OF MY RANCH FOR DISABLED VETS, COMPLETE WITH A GUN RANGE &, PAINT BALL COURSE coming...garage for car shows,and a workout & rehab center hopfull
gen=5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 11:23 AM   #6
HDRDTD


 
Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Trenton, Michigan
Posts: 4,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen=5 View Post
this is the fix LINGENFELTER SUPERCHARGER ISOLATOR COUPLING LS9 LSA ENGINE 2009-2014 gm will most likely just install a new blower with the same spring set up,and it will happen again,the funny thing is that on the ctsv they have started installing the solid isolator from the factory or at least i read that,but not the ZL1,GM does not allow their techs to install the part which is dumb since its a simple swap to do ...go find a good tuner shop and have the aftermarket fix done...as its been said this has been covered at least 50 times...good luck
The solid isolator is a 'fix' for the marble rattling noise, but has nothing to do with the SC 'whine' issue some have encountered.
two different problems.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 01:33 PM   #7
musclecarguy
 
Drives: camaro zl1 manual black
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Fresno, California
Posts: 10
Thanks for all the feedback

Well im going to watch it the new supercharger seemed to fix the problem, I have a video of the noise before the fix and was going to upload it but their is a security problem? so i will post when I can, the video is from the inside of the car and at first you can barely hear the whine but then I bring the rpms up to about 1000 then you hear it settle and kick in pretty loud, well you have to have the speakers almost all the way up I am still inside the car. I will post it when i can figure this thing out, remember I am new.
musclecarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 01:54 PM   #8
z28man2
 
z28man2's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 Coupe IOM
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 180
They already replaced mine at 300 miles, screw it let gm keep replacing it under warranty.
__________________
2013 Camaro ZL-1 #3553, IOM, Roto-Fab Intake, Vmax Ported TB, Apex Catch Can
z28man2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:24 PM   #9
hognutz


 
hognutz's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: tangent or
Posts: 2,575
this is really kind of a subtier vendor issue. Eaton makes the blower. wonder if they just have a quality issue right now.

or is just the fact if you make 10,000 of something there will be say ~100 parts with issue and those 100 people talk about it more than the other 9,900 poeople.

I am definatly keeping an eye on mine. I will proabably just replace the bearing on mine if it goes out. or jedi mind trick the wife into thinking TT kit is the same price as a bearing ha ha.
__________________
2013 ZL1
2013 Dart
2013 Megacab 8" lift 38"mt's
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:44 PM   #10
ZL1-V

 
ZL1-V's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,544
My car does it on start up for about 3-5 seconds and then stops. I will wait until it fails or take it to a mechanic that knows how to replace the bearing. I don't want them R/R my supercharger to have the same noise reoccur.
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:17 PM   #11
4fbodys
 
4fbodys's Avatar
 
Drives: 3 3rd gens 1 4th gen
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: wv
Posts: 82
Just got done repacking the bearing on my superchager 2 weeks ago for the whining noise you are talking about. when gm replace my superchager at 8k for the whine and now at 23k it came back with a new supercharger I fixed this one myself. the rebuild was easy however when I removed the front snout I found a ton of metal in where the isolator was and the spring had worn into the snout side shaft I cleaned up all the metal repacked the bearing with grease resealed the snout and put it back on the car no noise and no more rattle thanks to lpe solid coupler runs great and thanks to the barons thread and for the videos on blower porting where he talks about the disassembly of the blower
__________________
2012 ZL1 & my wife
4fbodys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:27 PM   #12
Oddvious
 
Oddvious's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4fbodys View Post
thanks to the barons thread and for the videos on blower porting where he talks about the disassembly of the blower
Got a link to this I can't find it
Oddvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 05:14 PM   #13
hognutz


 
hognutz's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: tangent or
Posts: 2,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4fbodys View Post
Just got done repacking the bearing on my superchager 2 weeks ago for the whining noise you are talking about. when gm replace my superchager at 8k for the whine and now at 23k it came back with a new supercharger I fixed this one myself. the rebuild was easy however when I removed the front snout I found a ton of metal in where the isolator was and the spring had worn into the snout side shaft I cleaned up all the metal repacked the bearing with grease resealed the snout and put it back on the car no noise and no more rattle thanks to lpe solid coupler runs great and thanks to the barons thread and for the videos on blower porting where he talks about the disassembly of the blower
what is crazy is that wear on the shaft by the islolator is by design. I don't understand it myself but GM and Eaton did it that way on purpose. It is supposed to wear to a certain point and then not wear any farther.

you can go back and read on some the CTS-V forums where GM applications engineers even post.

It is wierd working in avaiation like a do know that would just be consider a FOD risk and would be delt with in a different way.
__________________
2013 ZL1
2013 Dart
2013 Megacab 8" lift 38"mt's
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 06:01 PM   #14
musclecarguy
 
Drives: camaro zl1 manual black
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Fresno, California
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1-V View Post
My car does it on start up for about 3-5 seconds and then stops. I will wait until it fails or take it to a mechanic that knows how to replace the bearing. I don't want them R/R my supercharger to have the same noise reoccur.
This is exactly how mine started I thought it might have been the starting motor all I can say is keep an eye on it if it starts doing it after start up but will go away t around 1500+ rpms it's your supercharger. My advice take it in and have them document the noise so it is on record then drive it till it becomes a problem (not till it breaks just till its so damn loud you take it in and say fix it they have to)
musclecarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:30 PM   #15
The Baron

 
The Baron's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 zl1
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: st louis
Posts: 841
you don't replace the bearing... it is not a sealed bearing.. it is a open needle bearing and it requires the blower to be taken apart to grease.. GM will not do this.. if the car starts making noise GM has directed all dealerships to replace..
__________________

2011 cts-v coupe (pinky) wifes car.. ls9 cam c.a.i. 11.44
2007 corvette vert ..retired..
2013 zl1 stock blower stock ci 20" wheels 10.36 135...so far..
The Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:22 PM   #16
hognutz


 
hognutz's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: tangent or
Posts: 2,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Baron View Post
you don't replace the bearing... it is not a sealed bearing.. it is a open needle bearing and it requires the blower to be taken apart to grease.. GM will not do this.. if the car starts making noise GM has directed all dealerships to replace..
interesting. to bad there is just not a superior bearing design to drop in.

crack me up how dealerships are glorified appliance repairman now. they just replace assemblies not actaully tear into them as much.
__________________
2013 ZL1
2013 Dart
2013 Megacab 8" lift 38"mt's
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 11:16 PM   #17
musclecarguy
 
Drives: camaro zl1 manual black
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Fresno, California
Posts: 10
Thumbs down Replacement didn't work

So I got my car back on Thursday from having my supercharger replaced with a new one and I'm still hearing a similar noise but its not nearly as pronounced as before but still their and clearly audible from the inside of the car driving anything below 3000 rpms is still making the noise....I can believe that the brand new supercharger is making the noise....any ideas?!? I'm so lost
musclecarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 09:02 AM   #18
djnice
 
djnice's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 ZL1 SIM, 99 Z28 Black
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by musclecarguy View Post
So I got my car back on Thursday from having my supercharger replaced with a new one and I'm still hearing a similar noise but its not nearly as pronounced as before but still their and clearly audible from the inside of the car driving anything below 3000 rpms is still making the noise....I can believe that the brand new supercharger is making the noise....any ideas?!? I'm so lost
How many miles do you have on the new supercharger?
__________________
2013 ZL1 - SIM, 6 spd, RotoFab CAI, Craftsman Can. / 1999 Z28 - Black, 6 spd, K&N, Subframe. / More Fun Stuff - www.inlandspeed.com
djnice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:36 AM   #19
gen=5

 
gen=5's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 ZL1 vert blac fastlane/LPE 750
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: houston
Posts: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by musclecarguy View Post
So I got my car back on Thursday from having my supercharger replaced with a new one and I'm still hearing a similar noise but its not nearly as pronounced as before but still their and clearly audible from the inside of the car driving anything below 3000 rpms is still making the noise....I can believe that the brand new supercharger is making the noise....any ideas?!? I'm so lost
post a video of the noise, You have to let the thing break in,and do not start hamming on it,treat it like a new car for a while...I would look at it this way if it makes boost and there is no power loose issues just enjoy it...
__________________
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=346589 CHECK OUT THE BUILDING OF MY RANCH FOR DISABLED VETS, COMPLETE WITH A GUN RANGE &, PAINT BALL COURSE coming...garage for car shows,and a workout & rehab center hopfull
gen=5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 12:31 PM   #20
Chevrolet Customer Svc


 
Chevrolet Customer Svc's Avatar
 
Drives: GM Vehicles
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,660
We're sorry to hear that replacing the supercharger didn't remedy the noise, musclecarguy! Let us know if you would like for us to check into anything for you.

Regards,
Sarah (Assisting William)
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:16 PM   #21
musclecarguy
 
Drives: camaro zl1 manual black
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Fresno, California
Posts: 10
Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnice View Post
How many miles do you have on the new supercharger?
Well I picked it up with 8242 and all I did was drive it home and then last night picked up dinner with it so in total 6 miles bringing me to whopping 8248 miles
musclecarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 02:57 PM   #22
The Baron

 
The Baron's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 zl1
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: st louis
Posts: 841
the bearing noise does not exist on most cars after idle.. rev it and it goes away unless it is totally dry.. this is something else..
__________________

2011 cts-v coupe (pinky) wifes car.. ls9 cam c.a.i. 11.44
2007 corvette vert ..retired..
2013 zl1 stock blower stock ci 20" wheels 10.36 135...so far..
The Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 09:12 PM   #23
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club
 
mlee's Avatar
 
Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 24,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddvious View Post
Got a link to this I can't find it
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=313908



Well I just got home from a cruise with some friends and noticed my bearing was screaming when I pulled into the garage. I have 16,500 miles and the car was built on day one for production ZL1s

I'm still under warranty and will just take it in this time, BUT pulleys will go on someday and I hate to think this is going to continue.

There's gotta be a better way than keep replacing the SC...

Anyone heard of this actually being fixed?
__________________
.
mlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 02:16 AM   #24
The Baron

 
The Baron's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 zl1
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: st louis
Posts: 841
Once regressed properly, it will last a long time.

I should just start offering this service. . It seems eaton is getting sloppy
__________________

2011 cts-v coupe (pinky) wifes car.. ls9 cam c.a.i. 11.44
2007 corvette vert ..retired..
2013 zl1 stock blower stock ci 20" wheels 10.36 135...so far..
The Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:20 AM   #25
djnice
 
djnice's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 ZL1 SIM, 99 Z28 Black
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by musclecarguy View Post
Well I picked it up with 8242 and all I did was drive it home and then last night picked up dinner with it so in total 6 miles bringing me to whopping 8248 miles
Well, maybe Baron can confirm this, but with only 6 miles you should still be hearing the rotor lobes break in. Give it 200 miles before you get concerned.
__________________
2013 ZL1 - SIM, 6 spd, RotoFab CAI, Craftsman Can. / 1999 Z28 - Black, 6 spd, K&N, Subframe. / More Fun Stuff - www.inlandspeed.com
djnice is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
problem, supercharger, whine noise, zl1

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.