Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

PFYC
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Old 09-17-2014, 02:18 AM   #1
C-redfly

Drives: 2012 completely Red Camaro
Warped rotor?

shortly after I installed my aftermarket rotors, I've been experiencing a vibration in my steering wheel when braking. The faster I'm going, the more It vibrates when I brake. Even if I simply tap the brakes, I feel the vibration. So I'm wondering how do rotors get warped and what happens to the rotors when they get warped. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
C-redfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:35 AM   #2
zfuzz

Drives: 69 Z28 / 12 ZL1
Did your break in your new rotors and pads properly?

Here is some info on brakes, long read but very informative
Old 09-17-2014, 10:16 AM   #3
Rob@WretchedMS

Drives: His Wife Crazy Phone:860-880-0486
if you are 100% certain that the rotors are installed on to the hubs with no debris in between them, then i would start with loosening the wheels and retorquing them with a torque wrench in a star pattern. If you didn't torque them it can cause this, if you have aftermarket wheels they are more prone to this, and of course it's possible it's a defective rotor, but that's not very common.

Rob@WretchedMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 01:31 PM   #4
C-redfly

Drives: 2012 completely Red Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by zfuzz View Post
Did your break in your new rotors and pads properly?

Here is some info on brakes, long read but very informative
The pads where low mileage used from a new ZL1 so I didn't get to break them in and the rotors I didn't know I had to bed them. The link had a lot of good info. And I do recall the vibration starting after I did a emergency breaking and I really had to slam on the breaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@WretchedMS View Post
if you are 100% certain that the rotors are installed on to the hubs with no debris in between them, then i would start with loosening the wheels and retorquing them with a torque wrench in a star pattern. If you didn't torque them it can cause this, if you have aftermarket wheels they are more prone to this, and of course it's possible it's a defective rotor, but that's not very common.
I'm getting new tires all around tomorrow and they will be road force balanced and I'll have them torque them rather then use the air gun.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
C-redfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 03:29 PM   #5
Dexman1349
2010 2SS/RS M6

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Sounds like the rotors/calipers may not have been installed properly or are slightly out of alignment. I would start there before worrying about them being warped.

Mods:
Cosmetic: ZL1 front w/mailslot, painted stripes, powdercoated SS rims, tow hook, and Gary's customs bowties, painted emblems and taillight bezels, DIY Flowtie

Suspension: Pfadt subframe bushings, Pfadt rear UCA bushings, BMR trailing arm & differential bushings, ZL1 Toe Rods and springs, Prothane radius arm inserts and steering rack bushing, Pfadt Sport sways & endlinks, Pfadt strut brace

Drivetrain: RMCR tune, CAI intake, Kooks headers, high-flow cats & exhaust, VMAX TB, LSR Tri-Ax shifter

Bumblebee Racecar Build
Dexman1349 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 03:50 PM   #6
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
In the SS Brembo upgrade kit instructions, they make a big deal about cleaning the rust off the hub at the rotor junction BEFORE installing the new rotors. Make sure to do that.

I was always taught if you feel the shake in the steering wheel, it's the front rotors/pads/calipers. If you feel it in the brake pedal, it's the rear rotors/pads/calipers.

intensifi is offline   Reply With Quote