Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
HeadlightArmor
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2014, 12:46 PM   #26
Apex Motorsports

 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 23,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy10SSRS View Post
For whatever reason the pic is not opening but I pretty much understand the concept now.
Back to my 2nd question from my previous post then: since I picked up 10-15 hp with the Solo's, if I added shorties how much additional hp could I expect to gain, ballpark? Trying to decide if it's worth doing for the $$. Thanks.
The cats did most of the heavy lifting. You should expect to see about 5-8 rwhp in some parts of the RPM range.
__________________
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:13 PM   #27
SteveDoten@ARH
 
SteveDoten@ARH's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS, (ARH/Farks 8sec car)
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Deer Park, NY
Posts: 152
I'd choose the same manufacturer that supplies headers used on the Copo Camaro

Last edited by SteveDoten@ARH; 01-19-2014 at 11:01 AM.
SteveDoten@ARH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:16 PM   #28
mikeyg36
The GT Troll Hundred
 
mikeyg36's Avatar
 
Drives: Cammed '12 2SS/RS LS3 '15 Z/28
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 8,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDoten@ARH View Post
I'd choose the same manufacturer that supplies headers used on the Copo Camaro
__________________
Click For Build Thread ***CAI Intake, ARH LTs, FSP Big NA Cam, Tuned By Matt@FSP***
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:31 AM   #29
Apex Motorsports

 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 23,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDoten@ARH View Post
I'd choose the same manufacturer that supplies headers used on the Copo Camaro
With the ARH shorties you will see a little bit better gains than the typical shorties. 10-12 rwhp
__________________
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:58 AM   #30
SteveDoten@ARH
 
SteveDoten@ARH's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS, (ARH/Farks 8sec car)
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Deer Park, NY
Posts: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
With the ARH shorties you will see a little bit better gains than the typical shorties. 10-12 rwhp
I was referring to the long tube headers
SteveDoten@ARH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:29 AM   #31
Apex Motorsports

 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 23,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDoten@ARH View Post
I was referring to the long tube headers
Ah, I thought you were responding to the discussion about shorties. Here is a peek up the skirt of one of the 2013 COPO Camaros rocking the ARH headers.

__________________
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:25 PM   #32
Jims Mongoose
Jim
 
Jims Mongoose's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Black 2SS 1LE
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Posts: 528
Question about header heat

I am seriously considering the Kooks long tubes with high flow cats.

But in a former life I know that header heat is considerable compared to cast iron factory manifolds. The stock manifolds conduct more heat and probably heat soak the engine bay less. In any case what I would like to know does anyone sell wraps for headers or a heat reflection plate that can be mounted to deflect heat down or absorb some of the heat so I don't get as much heat into engine compartment.

Jim
Jims Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:36 PM   #33
mikeyg36
The GT Troll Hundred
 
mikeyg36's Avatar
 
Drives: Cammed '12 2SS/RS LS3 '15 Z/28
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 8,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims Mongoose View Post
I am seriously considering the Kooks long tubes with high flow cats.

But in a former life I know that header heat is considerable compared to cast iron factory manifolds. The stock manifolds conduct more heat and probably heat soak the engine bay less. In any case what I would like to know does anyone sell wraps for headers or a heat reflection plate that can be mounted to deflect heat down or absorb some of the heat so I don't get as much heat into engine compartment.

Jim
Get them coated. MD Speed is the only vendor on here that I know of that has coating as an option though.
__________________
Click For Build Thread ***CAI Intake, ARH LTs, FSP Big NA Cam, Tuned By Matt@FSP***
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:52 PM   #34
Apex Motorsports

 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 23,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims Mongoose View Post
I am seriously considering the Kooks long tubes with high flow cats.

But in a former life I know that header heat is considerable compared to cast iron factory manifolds. The stock manifolds conduct more heat and probably heat soak the engine bay less. In any case what I would like to know does anyone sell wraps for headers or a heat reflection plate that can be mounted to deflect heat down or absorb some of the heat so I don't get as much heat into engine compartment.

Jim
If you are concerned about heat ceramic coating is what you would want to go with. We generally use Jet-Hot when a customer requests it.
__________________
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:04 PM   #35
Jims Mongoose
Jim
 
Jims Mongoose's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Black 2SS 1LE
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Posts: 528
Vendor in phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
If you are concerned about heat ceramic coating is what you would want to go with. We generally use Jet-Hot when a customer requests it.
Thanks for the suggestion. Is there a vendor in the Scottsdale, Phoenix area that can ceramic coat them that you can recommend?


Anyone have any ideas on how much the coating would cost, and also the header install?

Thanks
Jim
Jims Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:09 PM   #36
Apex Motorsports

 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 23,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims Mongoose View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. Is there a vendor in the Scottsdale, Phoenix area that can ceramic coat them that you can recommend?


Anyone have any ideas on how much the coating would cost, and also the header install?

Thanks
Jim
Not in that area. Like I mentioned we ship them to Jet-Hot for coating. It generally runs about $400. Installing headers is about a 2 hour job so depending on labor rates in your area you are probably looking at $150-200.
__________________
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:34 PM   #37
maxx210
 
Drives: EVERYTHING BLACK 1SS/RS
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 72
Thanks for the awesome freakin info! Ill plan on buying headers and hiflows closer to the summer. But this has been some good "need to know information"!
maxx210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:30 AM   #38
Apex Motorsports

 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 23,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxx210 View Post
Thanks for the awesome freakin info! Ill plan on buying headers and hiflows closer to the summer. But this has been some good "need to know information"!
You are very welcome. Glad that you found it helpful. Just let me know when you are ready to order and we will make it happen.
__________________
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:40 PM   #39
Jims Mongoose
Jim
 
Jims Mongoose's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Black 2SS 1LE
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Posts: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
Not in that area. Like I mentioned we ship them to Jet-Hot for coating. It generally runs about $400. Installing headers is about a 2 hour job so depending on labor rates in your area you are probably looking at $150-200.

Thanks to you and everyone for all the information. Does the coating really help the heat problem a lot? I assume it affects the amount of radiant heat coming off the headers. Still not as conductive as the cast iron manifolds however. Is my concern a real concern or am I begin anal?

Not being a pest just trying to learn.
Jim
Jims Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:44 PM   #40
Apex Motorsports

 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 23,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims Mongoose View Post
Thanks to you and everyone for all the information. Does the coating really help the heat problem a lot? I assume it affects the amount of radiant heat coming off the headers. Still not as conductive as the cast iron manifolds however. Is my concern a real concern or am I begin anal?

Not being a pest just trying to learn.
Jim
I have never seen the claimed reductions in under hood temperature scientifically demonstrated in hard numbers. It looks great and they cool off quickly, that is about the sum of it. You are not going to see any performance gains from coating, wrapping, etc.. The headers on my Camaro are bare stainless steel.
__________________
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 06:01 PM   #41
MrandMrsNinja

 
MrandMrsNinja's Avatar
 
Drives: 11' SGM 2SS/13' GT/08' F-150 4x4
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Dickinson, Tx
Posts: 1,264
Great post!!
__________________
MrandMrsNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 08:42 PM   #42
Jims Mongoose
Jim
 
Jims Mongoose's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Black 2SS 1LE
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Posts: 528
Not a performance thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
I have never seen the claimed reductions in under hood temperature scientifically demonstrated in hard numbers. It looks great and they cool off quickly, that is about the sum of it. You are not going to see any performance gains from coating, wrapping, etc.. The headers on my Camaro are bare stainless steel.
Again thanks for the help. I am not interested in performance gains. I have seen and felt the tremendous heat generated by stainless steel headers. I am interested in keeping the heat from heat soaking under the hood, affecting wiring and prematurely ruining other rubber items. In addition I don't believe that the heat under the hood can be good for anything. Supercharger performance, injectors etc.

I was really just trying to keep as much heat as possible from staying under the hood. Rather I would like to see it reflected down to the pavement. Does anyone know of a shield or other item that could do what I am asking.

Jim
Jims Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:12 AM   #43
DolionGrey
 
Drives: Camaro
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: California
Posts: 5
Hey I'm in the market for performance upgrades this year. I'm gonna do a r2c cai; Long tubes of some sort (looking at DT Long tubes tri y atm). My question being which LTs would you reccomend; and how to tune it after words to get rid of sensors and receive more gains?
DolionGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:00 PM   #44
Apex Motorsports

 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 23,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrandMrsNinja View Post
Great post!!
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims Mongoose View Post
Again thanks for the help. I am not interested in performance gains. I have seen and felt the tremendous heat generated by stainless steel headers. I am interested in keeping the heat from heat soaking under the hood, affecting wiring and prematurely ruining other rubber items. In addition I don't believe that the heat under the hood can be good for anything. Supercharger performance, injectors etc.

I was really just trying to keep as much heat as possible from staying under the hood. Rather I would like to see it reflected down to the pavement. Does anyone know of a shield or other item that could do what I am asking.

Jim
I am not aware of anything like that and I think it would hurt more than it would help. You would probably be better of going to a vented hood so that the hot air could escape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolionGrey View Post
Hey I'm in the market for performance upgrades this year. I'm gonna do a r2c cai; Long tubes of some sort (looking at DT Long tubes tri y atm). My question being which LTs would you reccomend; and how to tune it after words to get rid of sensors and receive more gains?
We recommend ARH, Kooks, Stainless Work, and Pfadt on the higher end and Stainless Power for those on a budget. All of those brands are of the highest quality and produce solid repeatable gains.

As far as tuning goes, you can either have it dyno tuned or remotely tuned. If you have a reputable LS tuner in your area then that it the way to go but if not a remote tune by someone like Matt from FSP or Ted Jannetty is another good option.
__________________
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 03:07 PM   #45
camarosspower
 
camarosspower's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Port Arthur, Tx
Posts: 412
I'm looking to get some Lt headers in the near future most probably the 2" pfadt headers. I have 1"lowering springs all the way around. How would the clearance be or should I do 1 7/8 headers?
camarosspower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:27 AM   #46
Apex Motorsports

 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 23,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarosspower View Post
I'm looking to get some Lt headers in the near future most probably the 2" pfadt headers. I have 1"lowering springs all the way around. How would the clearance be or should I do 1 7/8 headers?
The 5th Gen does pretty well with LT headers. They do not have clearance issues nearly as bad as some other cars (4th Gen Camaro; cough, cough). Any of the brands we have discussed will be fine but the Pfadt headers do offer the most clearance.
__________________
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:09 AM   #47
camarosspower
 
camarosspower's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Port Arthur, Tx
Posts: 412
Thanks chase. Always a great help
camarosspower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:42 AM   #48
Apex Motorsports

 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 23,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarosspower View Post
Thanks chase. Always a great help
No problem. That is what I am here for.
__________________
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:56 AM   #49
1LE801
 
1LE801's Avatar
 
Drives: 14 White 2SS 1LE RS
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 276
Will all the headers that I see advertised for 10-12 Camaros fit on my 14 1LE?
1LE801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:03 PM   #50
Apex Motorsports

 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 23,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LE801 View Post
Will all the headers that I see advertised for 10-12 Camaros fit on my 14 1LE?
Yes they will. There have not been any changes that impact header fitment.
__________________
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
american racing headers, kooks, long tube headers, pfadt, stainless works

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.