Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

River City Camaro Customs
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics Camaro ZL1 specific topics

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 07:46 AM   #801
oldfriend

Drives: 2010 SS BLK IO interior
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoop302 View Post
I have been laying low upon advice of my attorney, but I wanted to give everyone an update.

The dealer's general manager called this morning and asked that I come over to discuss a settlement with him. He told me the dealership WOULD make good on replacing my ZL1.

In the meantime, let's not continue to try the dealership in the court of public opinion. Hopefully we can all post good comments about the dealership and remove the negative ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfriend View Post
What else do you really expected them to say
But if the ,,,,,hit the fan , i bet my horse that the story will be very similar to the one we have on hand

Just keep in mind , that Lawyers and car dealers , went to the same school
Some went on and finish it , and others dropped off
They learn on the first semester to tell you what you want the hear !
And now what is the OP doing ?
The OP should be in here just like the rest of us
Come out and say you are with us , please !
Old 01-11-2014, 08:19 AM   #802
Padre
Only drives on Sundays

Drives: 11 2SS/RS, Black/Inferno, L99 A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfriend View Post
And now what is the OP doing ?
The OP should be in here just like the rest of us
Come out and say you are with us , please !
Anything he says can and will be used against him in a court of law.

So far he's doing great: state the facts calmly, without the rhetoric. I am very impressed with how he's handled it.

Let us, the Internet, do the rest. Lesson to dealer: don't piss off the Internet.

By the way, IMO, keep people's personal information out of it. The bad reviews and comments are enough. Truth and the right thing will win out. Going beyond your 1st Ammendment rights (e.g. fake appointments, etc.) is not necessary. 'Nuff said.

Padre

The "Heretic": '11 2SS/RS L99 A6 Black/Inferno. Build Journal, Videos
D1SC GT9 JBA-LT = 720/680 | 10.330 @ 133.61, 1.546 sixty... Camaro King at ECS V, Darlington.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:33 AM   #803
PieNsky

Drives: Victory Red 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet View Post
Don't know if I ever publicly thanked you for the 100th Anniversary pin you sent AT NO COST to me
Old 01-11-2014, 08:52 AM   #804
RubyCamaro
SSlayer

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet View Post
Hopefully...
....I can help...

Becky

Way to go Becky! I hope you can be the voice of reason & help that dealership learn your great customer service ethic & get a positive result for the OP.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:02 AM   #805
Hall of Fame

Drives: Hall of Fame
If the owner doesn't want the deal, it goes to Arbitration. Be careful he could end up with less if the adjuster changes the offer. Folks if you have a special car get some classic insurance and have it insured for agreed valuation. It is then a different ballgame.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:11 AM   #806
CobraBall

Drives: Blue
Ok, so a point I'm not clear on here, have you been paid out for the car by your insurance or not? If you have, take the money and let the insurance company deal with it. That's what they're there for.

Quote:
Be careful he could end up with less if the adjuster changes the offer. Folks if you have a special car get some classic insurance and have it insured for agreed valuation. It is then a different ballgame.
The car is worth what it's worth under regular insurance. I have a hard time believing a used ZL1 has appreciated, nor is it a new car. I suspect that is a point of dispute here.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:17 AM   #807
Mcarltonjr

Drives: 2013 F150 STX
Jon is doing a very good job keeping calm. As for us I think it's amazing this thread blew up and the story blew up that quick. Social networking and media is going to force the hands of the dealership eventually. As for the dealer making good on a promise? Sorry but I would never trust one on that. The attorney needs to eventually push forward on the dealership. Also the dealership can't replace the sentimental value that car probably had even with a used or new one.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:18 AM   #808
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 2SS MT 45th AE
I think they owe him more than equivalent value but that's debatable.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
Old 01-11-2014, 09:33 AM   #809
Padre
Only drives on Sundays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcarltonjr View Post
Also the dealership can't replace the sentimental value that car probably had even with a used or new one.
No, but a civil court can place a value on that sentiment. That's what the dealer needs to figure out quick. He can treat the car like toaster and value it as a commodity, or he can recognize that there is a lot more to "value" than what KBB or NADA or an insurance company says. Dealers who understand that are successful.

Padre

D1SC GT9 JBA-LT = 720/680 | 10.330 @ 133.61, 1.546 sixty... Camaro King at ECS V, Darlington.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:51 AM   #810
Lucas718

Drives: Jeep Wrangler
Totally forgot I was a member here until I saw the story on Jalopnik. Really hope the dealer comes to his senses and provides a suitable replacement.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:03 AM   #811
ConceptVBS

Drives: POS
Did you read the fine print when you handed over your car.

Most likely, they have a clause with not liable for property, theft and vehicle damage while under their care.

If so, you are basically screwed.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:10 AM   #812
polizzio

Drives: 2012 1LT Camaro
Saw the story on Yahoo. Came here and read the last 32 pages of this nightmare. One thing I can say for sure is the dealer owner and their management sure has handled this terribly. Just the negative PR can kill their business.

Its a real shame how First State Chevrolet - Georgetown, DE has handled this event from beginning to end. Social media will CRUSH them. And they're not smart enough to figure this out evidently.
Best wishes John Hooper.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:29 AM   #813
PQ
1st State Chevy supporter

Drives: Hybrid SS Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
If it were not for the few dealers like Rodgers and Tom Henry I'd have lost faith in Chevy and GM a long time ago.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:34 AM   #814
Pip

Drives: 2014 2LT RS
Saw this on Autoblog and the front page of Yahoo today (which has 8500+ comments). I'm surprised I missed this as I check Camaro5 regularly. Anyway, I can't believe how bad the dealer is handling this. Are they broke or something? I can't believe a new ZL1 isn't in order. It seems like the dealer is too concerned with doing what they legally obligated to do rather than doing what's morally best and what's best for PR. Having this story on the front page of Yahoo which is still the 4th most visited site on the Internet will damage the dealership's cred forever.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:54 AM   #815
PQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padre View Post
No, but a civil court can place a value on that sentiment. That's what the dealer needs to figure out quick. He can treat the car like toaster and value it as a commodity, or he can recognize that there is a lot more to "value" than what KBB or NADA or an insurance company says. Dealers who understand that are successful.

Padre
Yup. Then mental anguish. Then potential future appreciation. Hell, that car might have ended up saving someones life. Need to add that price to the mix. Or maybe even becoming the only ZL1 left in the world 200 years from now. What if there were a nuclear holocaust but somehow humans are able to survive and rebuild and it's the only remnant left of the 'Old World' and it's the most valuable thing in the world?
Old 01-11-2014, 11:00 AM   #816
Padre
Only drives on Sundays

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Yup. Then mental anguish. Then potential future appreciation. Hell, that car might have ended up saving someones life. Need to add that price to the mix. Or maybe even becoming the only ZL1 left in the world 200 years from now. What if there were a nuclear holocaust but somehow humans are able to survive and rebuild and it's the only remnant left of the 'Old World' and it's the most valuable thing in the world?

Padre

Old 01-11-2014, 11:05 AM   #817
habunow1

Drives: 2010 Yellow 2SS, 2011 CG 1LT IPF SC
I am amazed how this dealership is putting so much effort into cleaning up the internet and not willing to make this right. Their webmaster has to be working overtime removing post and comments. Google rating and reviews have been all over the place and as fast as it drop down it looks like things are being removed to get it back up. It might be easier to put that effort into making things right.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:10 AM   #818
PQ

I wonder what the real reason is that this dealer is handling this so shitty?

I've shown this to a lot of people. Clients mostly. It's just crazy.

I'd guess that the dealer is rigid with defiance over the OP going so public. And that defiance will be their undoing. Like mlee said, they take a 15k bath in the end after insurance.

Imagine, though, if they did not have insurance. It almost seems that way.

I'd still like to know what the customers insurance company has said.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:15 AM   #819
Pip

Drives: 2014 2LT RS
I did a quick "ZL1" search on Twitter and it appears this is blowing up on Twitter. At this point, I think Chevy needs to step in and do whatever is needed to make the OP happy. I realize that dealers are franchises but come on, the dealer and to a lesser extent, Chevy need to do something to save face at this point. It never should have gotten to this point. Once Chevy realized the scale of the situation, they should have taken it over and given him a new ZL1 or even a Stingray to his liking.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:19 AM   #820
habunow1

Drives: 2010 Yellow 2SS, 2011 CG 1LT IPF SC
I know GM cant force a private dealerships hand but was glad to see this.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2014/01/...ccident-watch/
Old 01-11-2014, 11:31 AM   #821
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
It's widely known all over the place. I dropped my car off at the dealership and mentioned the story, the service writer had heard about it already. It has saturated the car world!
Old 01-11-2014, 11:44 AM   #822
Jalberdi99

Drives: 2013 2LT/RS AGM
In a weird kid of way, this is good that it happened. Let me explain, most dealers are aware of the problem this dealership is having. I think most dealers are going to be extra carefull from now on with our cars of fear of messing up and the **** up going viral. My 2¢. I hope you get your way OP
Old 01-11-2014, 12:00 PM   #823
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalberdi99 View Post
In a weird kid of way, this is good that it happened. Let me explain, most dealers are aware of the problem this dealership is having. I think most dealers are going to be extra carefull from now on with our cars of fear of messing up and the **** up going viral. My 2¢. I hope you get your way OP

I doubt that this will change how dealer's handle things. If anything, it'll jus teach them to settle with the customer right off the bat versus trying to clean up the mess.

Remember a few months ago the dealership where the customer put a recording device inside the car when he dropped it off for warranty work?
Old 01-11-2014, 12:08 PM   #824
Hall of Fame

Drives: Hall of Fame
I cannot believe some of the postings... I guess it isn't surprising knowing what society has created by the "Entitlements ". Seems everyone wants to sue someone and think they are entitled to more than they have. I do know one thing... it isn't causing the dealership any hardship and it shouldn't. Man bought a new car for 60k or so.. drives it 10k and wants them to buy him a new one. Horse manure. Just because he THINKS he has the dealership for some kind of a mistake they made. What if the place caught fire, tornado ripped it to Kansas. The same result.. simply an insurance claim. Who gives a rip what kind of car it was? I support the dealership in their decision how to handle it and frankly it is out of their hands. That is exactly what Insurance is for. Let him sue the Geico Lizard. This whole fiasco has went clear out of control and the owner thinks all the hoopla on the web will get him more. It won't and shouldn't , and IF it does it only shows how ignorant society has become.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:17 PM   #825
EDISKRAD EHT

Drives: Blown Goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hall of Fame View Post
I cannot believe some of the postings... I guess it isn't surprising knowing what society has created by the "Entitlements ". Seems everyone wants to sue someone and think they are entitled to more than they have. I do know one thing... it isn't causing the dealership any hardship and it shouldn't. Man bought a new car for 60k or so.. drives it 10k and wants them to buy him a new one. Horse manure. Just because he THINKS he has the dealership for some kind of a mistake they made. What if the place caught fire, tornado ripped it to Kansas. The same result.. simply an insurance claim. Who gives a rip what kind of car it was? I support the dealership in their decision how to handle it and frankly it is out of their hands. That is exactly what Insurance is for. Let him sue the Geico Lizard. This whole fiasco has went clear out of control and the owner thinks all the hoopla on the web will get him more. It won't and shouldn't , and IF it does it only shows how ignorant society has become.

Unless they can provide him with an identical car, identical mileage, etc, why would he not be 'entitled' to a new one? It's the next best thing, as opposed to being worse than what he had. When he bought the car new, he got exactly what he wanted. So why should he have to accept a car that wasn't identical to his own down to the very last mile and option? Why should he have to accept a downgrade because of something the dealer is 100% responsible in controlling?

Closed Thread

Tags
1st state chevrolet, stealership, stolen, totaled, wrecked, zl1