Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Classic Industries
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics Camaro ZL1 specific topics

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 05:17 PM   #1251
ramin1983

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I am so sorry for your loss man.
This is totally unacceptable! They should offer you a new ZL1 and fire that irresponsible employee!
Old 01-13-2014, 05:19 PM   #1252
RallySS

Drives: 2011 Rally Yellow RS/2SS Vert M6
If you hear it directly from the person it happened to it must be a lie...
Old 01-13-2014, 05:24 PM   #1253
GT500guy

Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdjnight View Post
I'd like to see them come on here...owning they're mistake of giving a parts guy access to 100's of thousands of dollars in not only their vehicles, but their customers vehicles too! And with owning their mistake what they are doing to make it right! And by making right I mean going above and beyond whatever the insurance companies settle on. The Hoopers may not have a certain law that requires the dealer to do so but I'm pretty confident that a lawsuit in civil court probably wouldn't pan out too well for the dealership and the managers that gave the parts boy access. It shows a severe lack of negligence and thank god nobody got killed in the car or on the street.

The "parts boy" you're referring to was a service writer that had access to the dealership so there's no "mistake" that was made by First State Chevrolet. The lawsuit you mentioned is no slam dunk by any stretch and could wind up costing the Hoopers more than the car is worth. This incident is rare, I know for a fact that nothing like this has ever happened to the Hansen's, not even remotely close.

I do know of a case where a salesman working at another dealership crashed a customers Porsche that was in for service, the owner of the 911 pushed for a replacement car which didn't happen, insurance company with help from the dealer, repaired the vehicle. Was that fair and just, who knows but that's how the industry works..
Old 01-13-2014, 05:26 PM   #1254
S-eatin-grin

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS AGM
Man what a mess...for GM, the dealer and most of all the OP. I've read a lot of the 1200+ posts but not all of them so forgive me for any re-hash but I just don't understand why this is so hard to resolve. Why are they (the dealer) not telling him to pick out the one he wants (within a given set of REASONABLE constraints) do a title and vehicle history search on it and ship it to the dealer. They cover the difference between the insurance check and the cost of the vehicle he picks...throw in some perks of some sort and that are transferrable to GM or some other entity (maybe a gas card) and agree to never speak to each other or about each other ever again. Like others have said...there must be more to the story cause it should not be that hard to resolve. Someone is being unreasonable. I feel for both parties ... but mostly the OP.

This is one of the reasons I didn't ever take my modded SS to the dealer and leave it there. The owners respect your car but you never know which dealership has a "kid" working there that would never have a chance to go WOT on something like this any other way at this time in their live.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:27 PM   #1255
cant_get_rite

Drives: 2013 CRT/2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpyle View Post
No idea ... but do you think they'll get a new one? Or have one pulled from another location with a few dings in it?

Old 01-13-2014, 05:33 PM   #1256
GT500guy

Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupo24 View Post
Ive been following this as a fellow car lover (2006 Pontiac GTO with 42K) and I can say is this: they dont owe him a new ZL1 off the bat. They do owe him more than what the insurance offered. They owe it to step up a bit more and resolve the issue. This dealership did not. Now....they owe him a new ZL1 to make up for it. Good luck to you sir. You spent money for your dream car. Anything less than your dream car is unacceptable imo.

You have no idea what First State offered, none but keep thinking what you want..
Old 01-13-2014, 05:34 PM   #1257
RallySS

Recently 1st State Chevrolet had an employee enter the dealership on Sunday December 15th and take a customerís Camaro without authorization and subsequently totaled the customerís car in an accident. Our business is closed on Sundays and was locked as is usual procedure. The employee acted on his own in this unfortunate event. This is an awful situation for both the customer and the dealership to deal with. We have been in contact with the customer and apologized for this situation at length. Both partiesí insurance companies are working to handle this claim in a satisfactory manner. Hopefully this situation will be settled in the very near future.

-Robert L. Hansen

President 1st State Chevrolet

When you see a company come out and play entirely on the defensive side rather than own up to something, it tends to rub the general public in the wrong way. In this case, instead of publicly apologizing for the damages and saying they will make sure to make things as right and fair as possible, they said it is basically just as awful for the dealership and that the insurance company is handling it while trying hard to distance themselves from their former employee. Now that is service I want if my car is destroyed!

This sounds more like a statement for insurance purposes making sure their dealership is not held liable for anything, not an apology of any sort or an owning up to a problem that obviously happened. This alone shot red flags all over the place and made the op's account more believable.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:35 PM   #1258
Sharkonwheels
1st State Chevy supporter

Drives: 2013 Volt
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
I do not believe they were told it's not their problem. As unlikely as it is that they'd say that I'll ask you the same as everyone else. Why do you believe that he dealer told them that?

There was no 'Take it or leave it' offer. Why do you believe that?

But as far as the dealer coming on here to 'Clear things up', that would be most unwise. And they know it. THis lynch mob has made up their minds.
I advised Bob Hansen NOT to come on here, as the ball is still in play.
Seen that before, it did NOT go well.

My advice, was solve the problem ASAP, let it rest for a week or two, then if you INSIST, go ahead and speak your peace.

He told me, as well, that he had NO idea the car had a carfax history, as they were trying to move so fast to please the Hoopers, that they kinda' cut corners, and said it bit them i the arse. He told me he couldn't believe it - it was like throwing gasoline on a fire, and all they were trying to do was solve the problem. He mentioned the car optioned as it is was about $1300 higher MSRP when new, and was throwing the $4K on top of the deal.

I think everyone needs to take a deep breath, and think about this logically.

If YOU were caught in a situation even REMOTELY similar, would you appreciate the internet hanging you out to dry with only one side of the information?

People have called for the executioner, when the case hasn't even been started!

And I'm not on a high horse preaching down - I'm JUST as guilty, tweeting and facebooking my ass off to no end.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:40 PM   #1259
cdjnight

Drives: 2013 ZL1 A6
Bob Hansen, co-owner of First State Chevrolet, said Peterson also would be charged with unauthorized use. A magistrate judge told Hansen that Peterson could not be charged with theft because he was a dealership employee with a key, Hansen said. Peterson no longer works at the dealership, he said.
ďHe's going to be charged with as much as we could charge him with,Ē Hansen said

If Mister Hansen would have convinced the judge to charge Eric with theft then Mr. Hansen and his dealership would be off the hook! Duh? this ain't rocket science. The Hoopers know it, the dealer knows it and so does social media. Pay up Mr. Hansen with that 2013 Vert you got left over on your lot! And the Taxes! and then lick your wounds.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:40 PM   #1260
PQ

Drives: Hybrid SS Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by RallySS View Post
If you hear it directly from the person it happened to it must be a lie...
Doesn't make it either. Problem I have is everyone is so sure that it's the accurate story that they are willing to ruin a business. Which is ludicrous to me.

Quote:
Recently 1st State Chevrolet had an employee enter the dealership on Sunday December 15th and take a customerís Camaro without authorization and subsequently totaled the customerís car in an accident. Our business is closed on Sundays and was locked as is usual procedure. The employee acted on his own in this unfortunate event. This is an awful situation for both the customer and the dealership to deal with. We have been in contact with the customer and apologized for this situation at length. Both partiesí insurance companies are working to handle this claim in a satisfactory manner. Hopefully this situation will be settled in the very near future.

-Robert L. Hansen

When you see a company come out and play entirely on the defensive side rather than own up to something, it tends to rub the general public in the wrong way. In this case, instead of publicly apologizing for the damages and saying they will make sure to make things as right and fair as possible, they said it is basically just as awful for the dealership and that the insurance company is handling it while trying hard to distance themselves from their former employee. Now that is service I want if my car is destroyed!

This sounds more like a statement for insurance purposes making sure their dealership is not held liable for anything, not an apology of any sort or an owning up to a problem that obviously happened. This alone shot red flags all over the place and made the op's account more believable.
What you are forgetting, or did not realize, is that statement is in DIRECT response to the public bashing began on the net. They have to explain what happened since the story everyone is hearing is not accurate.

Again, it is HIGHLY unlikely that this Mr. Hansen told Hooper that it's not their problem.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:41 PM   #1261
RallySS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkonwheels View Post

My advice, was solve the problem ASAP, let it rest for a week or two, then if you INSIST, go ahead and speak your peace.

He told me, as well, that he had NO idea the car had a carfax history, as they were trying to move so fast to please the Hoopers, that they kinda' cut corners, and said it bit them i the arse. He told me he couldn't believe it - it was like throwing gasoline on a fire, and all they were trying to do was solve the problem. He mentioned the car optioned as it is was about $1300 higher MSRP when new, and was throwing the $4K on top of the deal.

If YOU were caught in a situation even REMOTELY similar, would you appreciate the internet hanging you out to dry with only one side of the information?

And I'm not on a high horse preaching down - I'm JUST as guilty, tweeting and facebooking my ass off to no end.
....and this is exactly what I was asking for. At this point the picture and the story makes much better sense together and it is in no way damaging to the dealership or the owner. I would even go so far as to say it instills confidence that he was trying to do something right and even if it fell short it shows he tried.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:45 PM   #1262
PQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdjnight View Post
Bob Hansen, co-owner of First State Chevrolet, said Peterson also would be charged with unauthorized use. A magistrate judge told Hansen that Peterson could not be charged with theft because he was a dealership employee with a key, Hansen said. Peterson no longer works at the dealership, he said.
ďHe's going to be charged with as much as we could charge him with,Ē Hansen said

If Mister Hansen would have convinced the judge to charge Eric with theft then Mr. Hansen and his dealership would be off the hook! Duh? this ain't rocket science. The Hoopers know it, the dealer knows it and so does social media. Pay up Mr. Hansen with that 2013 Vert you got left over on your lot! And the Taxes! and then lick your wounds.
Bullshit. It would NOT relieve him from liability and he's not trying to say that at all. Where did you come up with that? He wants to make it clear that this employee stole the car and be able to go after the employee to recoup the losses he knows he will take to Hooper.

You really believe that Hansen is trying to absolve himself from all liability?
Old 01-13-2014, 05:46 PM   #1263
VegasZL1

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #412
Did anyone happen to notice what the GM of the store said to an editor on Jalopnik when he called the dealership for comment?

http://jalopnik.com/dealership-total...eal-1498804012

"I almost think it's extortion," the general manager told me. "I don't think any sane person would turn down [this deal.]" He later concluded, "I almost think they're as bad as the guy who stole the car."
Old 01-13-2014, 05:47 PM   #1264
smkooq

Drives: batmobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
If you total a car on you own you take finicial loss. period.

the fact it happened at the dealership I think they are morallly liable to offset that a bit as it is hard to stay in business if you hire retards and mess up peoples property.

Do they deserve a brand new car on the dealerships dime????? no that is not the way the world works unfortualty.

If your car is stolen out of the driveway and totalled no car fairy comes along and give you a brand new car with no loss to you.

Those are the facts. anybody who thinks different has not had a car solen or paid for suplemental insurane.

I have had one car stolen, 1 car I totalled driving over my head. I took some loss on both those deals.

insurance does not = brand new replacement unfortually. any loss breaks down into an insuracne claim most of the time.

When a certified dealership has an employee who joyrides and totals a customers car, it is of another subject from that of your car being stolen from your driveway.

The dealership needs to own up, although the President of the dealership had no hand in this, it is still on him as a business owner to accept the wrong doings of his employees.

And just because he fired the employee, it does not rectify the situation, but his own.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:51 PM   #1265
Sharkonwheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT500guy View Post
The "parts boy" you're referring to was a service writer that had access to the dealership so there's no "mistake" that was made by First State Chevrolet. The lawsuit you mentioned is no slam dunk by any stretch and could wind up costing the Hoopers more than the car is worth. This incident is rare, I know for a fact that nothing like this has ever happened to the Hansen's, not even remotely close.

I do know of a case where a salesman working at another dealership crashed a customers Porsche that was in for service, the owner of the 911 pushed for a replacement car which didn't happen, insurance company with help from the dealer, repaired the vehicle. Was that fair and just, who knows but that's how the industry works..
Matter of fact, I think the OP was mentioned in the Jalopnik article as saying that they contacted attorneys, and legal/court fees would not be included, and that they could not afford to pay for an attorney themselves.

Seriously... Think about this logically.
Why would a dealer, ANY dealer, want to intentionally do something like that? I mean seriously... Doing this intentionally could literally END them!

if they WERE going in that direction, they would have just waved them away, and left them to deal with the insurance companies. They didn't. They've tried - yeah, that other 2012 was a misfire, but i seriously doubt it was intentional. I doubt he'd want to be fanning the flames at that point.

"The rest of the story" is what we're missing. I feel for the OP - man, I LOVE my cars, whether leased or bought. I treat them better than I treat myself. I hand wash, hand dry, only use Mother's products, teat the leather, treat the plastic, etc... So I definitely sympathize.

In the end, I think the dealer was listening to the WRONG people, who should be canned on-the-spot, and got REALLY bad advice. They should've NOT left/closed the first time the Hoopers came in, until they agreed on something. Where we are now, it probably would've cost them less to go ahead and order a new ZL1, but that wouldn't correct what was being harped about: first year, limited production, etc... So I wonder....

Is there REALLY any pleasing the Hoopers at this point?
Not being an ass... just asking...

Or are they trying to force getting their way in the court of public opinion?
Old 01-13-2014, 05:53 PM   #1266
Kevins89notch

Drives: Mustang
Quote:

-Robert L. Hansen

They posted that a couple days before it went viral. That was about their limit of PR work. I knew they were ****ed when I saw that.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:54 PM   #1267
PQ

Quote:

I initially threw the dealer under the bus for not immediately making it right but it was not making sense once I started looking at it rationally. BAD situation and could have been handled better (maybe) but NO WAY have I seen anything solid that justifies the angry slanderous way they have been portrayed. What a nightmare I could imagine to have this happen to me if I truly did try and help.

I guess it comes down to the dealer could have put this to bed with the assurance that a brand new car but to not allow them time to find a car is unfair. And, again, the Hoopers wanted a brand new car PERIOD.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:57 PM   #1268
PQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkooq View Post
When a certified dealership has an employee who joyrides and totals a customers car, it is of another subject from that of your car being stolen from your driveway.

The dealership needs to own up, although the President of the dealership had no hand in this, it is still on him as a business owner to accept the wrong doings of his employees.

And just because he fired the employee, it does not rectify the situation, but his own.
He is accepting that.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:57 PM   #1269
Sharkonwheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasZL1 View Post
Did anyone happen to notice what the GM of the store said to an editor on Jalopnik when he called the dealership for comment?

http://jalopnik.com/dealership-total...eal-1498804012

"I almost think it's extortion," the general manager told me. "I don't think any sane person would turn down [this deal.]" He later concluded, "I almost think they're as bad as the guy who stole the car."
THAT is the one thing I REEEEEEALLY have an issue with.

And the above is not coming from the OP - that's what the GM told a reporter.

Nasty.

Lemme spin THIS though...

What if the OP is trying to use this internet mob to try to FORCE the dealer into a corner? Is that fair? Basically threatening to ruin your business if you don't give him what he wants?

I dunno...

I STILL have a HUGE problem swallowing that General Manager's statement.
I hope that wasn't Hansen himself, and I hope that creep was shit-canned as well.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:01 PM   #1270
SinisSick
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 ss
I think what got me sided on this was when the OP first posted and said that "he was left to deal with this on his own and dealer basically said to kick rocks."

From the sound of the various reports and statements I bet it was along those lines from the dealer. They should of took care of this from Day 1 before the OP even posted this matter.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:02 PM   #1271
smkooq

Drives: batmobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
He is accepting that.
He may or may not be.

Now if he was to give Hoopers a letter of apology, or maybe a public apology (considering this issue went semi-viral) I will believe the President of the Dealership is owning up to the issue.

But until then, i will believe the owner is still not accepting the responsibilities for what has happened, and is just simply dealing with it.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:04 PM   #1272
PQ

Quote:
Matter of fact, I think the OP was mentioned in the Jalopnik article as saying that they contacted attorneys, and legal/court fees would not be included, and that they could not afford to pay for an attorney themselves.

Seriously... Think about this logically.
Why would a dealer, ANY dealer, want to intentionally do something like that? I mean seriously... Doing this intentionally could literally END them!

if they WERE going in that direction, they would have just waved them away, and left them to deal with the insurance companies. They didn't. They've tried - yeah, that other 2012 was a misfire, but i seriously doubt it was intentional. I doubt he'd want to be fanning the flames at that point.

"The rest of the story" is what we're missing. I feel for the OP - man, I LOVE my cars, whether leased or bought. I treat them better than I treat myself. I hand wash, hand dry, only use Mother's products, teat the leather, treat the plastic, etc... So I definitely sympathize.

In the end, I think the dealer was listening to the WRONG people, who should be canned on-the-spot, and got REALLY bad advice. They should've NOT left/closed the first time the Hoopers came in, until they agreed on something. Where we are now, it probably would've cost them less to go ahead and order a new ZL1, but that wouldn't correct what was being harped about: first year, limited production, etc... So I wonder....

Is there REALLY any pleasing the Hoopers at this point?
Not being an ass... just asking...

Or are they trying to force getting their way in the court of public opinion?
I think those are fair questions. I do not believe for a second that this thread was just to 'Document' this. He joined this forum EXPRESSLY to get this story out there and it WAS an inflamatory OP.

It must be hard as hell for people close to Hansen to not get on here. GT500guy aside.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:10 PM   #1273
PQ

Quote:
THAT is the one thing I REEEEEEALLY have an issue with.

And the above is not coming from the OP - that's what the GM told a reporter.

Nasty.

Lemme spin THIS though...

What if the OP is trying to use this internet mob to try to FORCE the dealer into a corner? Is that fair? Basically threatening to ruin your business if you don't give him what he wants?

I dunno...

I STILL have a HUGE problem swallowing that General Manager's statement.
I hope that wasn't Hansen himself, and I hope that creep was shit-canned as well.
I have no doubt this was an intentionally placed thread to force the dealer. I'm not going to say I disapprove of the option but in this case, as early as it was, yes, I think it was rotten. I think it's possible that it's why he does not have a new car on order.

And agreed. If the GM said that he's not very smart. Whether he feels that way or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinisSick View Post
I think what got me sided on this was when the OP first posted and said that "he was left to deal with this on his own and dealer basically said to kick rocks."

From the sound of the various reports and statements I bet it was along those lines from the dealer. They should of took care of this from Day 1 before the OP even posted this matter.
Sounds to me like he went in to demand a new car and was told that they'd do their best to find an acceptable replacement. There is not doubt he sought a new car from the beginning.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:13 PM   #1274
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by smkooq View Post

It is still an insurance claim no mater what way you slice it. insurance claims don't delvier you a brand new car they deliver monetary compensation.

Poeple can dream and wish all they want once you go through a couple you will realize that this is how it works. there is no magic that makes you come out at "0" loss.

I have even had a roomate total a car from me. I lost money on that deal as well.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:18 PM   #1275
Kevins89notch

Drives: Mustang
Quote:

The dealership clearly fails at customer service. I work in not only an industry, but a specific company that excels at customer service. I understand we're only hearing one side, but unless it's complete and 100% lies, the dealership dropped the ball big time.

I've said it before I think, but the very first step is 100% admitting that they ****ed up, and 100% promising to fix matters.

If I was the dealership owner, I would have been searching every possible place you can imagine for a similar car, and asking the OP is any of these satisfy him. I wouldn't dare suggest a sub par replacement. This is a major **** up, so I would go in knowing I'm going to lose some money initially, but hopefully make it up in the long term via a happy customer who will tell others how well I handled it.

If a replacement could be found, I would pay for transport of it, and cut a check for TT&L.

If a replacement can't be found, then they yes, I would offer up a new ZL1. Yes that's a 15K(according to someone here) difference. That sucks, but if that's what it takes, so be it. If that brings in a couple more sales over the next year, you'll recoup the money right there.

There is a difference between McDonalds level customer service, and at the Ritz Carlton. A high end customer ordered car demands the Ritz level, not McDonalds.

Closed Thread

Tags
1st state chevrolet, stealership, stolen, totaled, wrecked, zl1