Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
SNL Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2013, 03:50 PM   #1
Bat Maro
 
Bat Maro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS L99 A6
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 251
Smile GM 1LE strut tower brace installed

love it. it fits perfect. GMPartsDirect.com is where i got it. if you have a 2013 and up i def recommend it.
Attached Images
 
__________________
2013 2SS A6- Vette Doctor tuned-375whp 392wtq
cold air inductions intake
stainless power 1 7/8" headers
stainless works HF cats
stainless works 3" retro chambered exhaust
full de-badge of entire car
Bat Maro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 04:10 PM   #2
jay4190
 
jay4190's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Black 2SS/RS
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Southern CT
Posts: 143
Looks good! Do you notice any difference in the car's handling now that it's installed?
jay4190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 04:13 PM   #3
scott's45
Scott's45
 
scott's45's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2SS 45th Anniversary
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 278
Mine just arrived last week. I'm having it painted right now, should be on the car soon. Looks good though!
__________________
2012 2SS 45th Anniversary, Hurst short throw shifter, Stainless Power LT headers, high flow cats, SW Retro Chambered 3" cat back, CAI, Heritage grill, tinted windows, red/silver hash stripes, AAC LED sidemarkers, blacked out turn signals/tail lights, splash guards. 402RWHP

scott's45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 04:13 PM   #4
steel insane
 
steel insane's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2LT Black (Vengeance)
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: pa
Posts: 643
Very little on my 2012. But it looks damn cool!
steel insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:55 PM   #5
Frank in MD
Raining Blood
 
Frank in MD's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 SS Performance Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: facebook
Posts: 2,593
Technically that would be the convertible strut tower bar, as it was on the vert before the 1LE.
__________________
Ordered 1/9/12 - Born 2/3/12 - Delivered 2/21/12 - '12 1SS/RS Summit White - TRADED.

2014 SS Performance Sedan - Red Hot 2 - Black Leather. S/R. Full size spare.
Frank in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:07 PM   #6
ActNup NY

 
ActNup NY's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 1LT Black Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Queens, NYC
Posts: 2,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay4190 View Post
Looks good! Do you notice any difference in the car's handling now that it's installed?

Was just wondering the same?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
I'M SO FAR AHEAD OF MY TIME, I'M ABOUT TO PASS YOU TWICE..
ActNup NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:16 PM   #7
RollaMo

 
RollaMo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS Convertible
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Rolla, MO
Posts: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank in MD View Post
Technically that would be the convertible strut tower bar, as it was on the vert before the 1LE.
Yep, looks just like the one on our 2011 Convertible.
__________________
1996 Corvette - LT4
2011 Camaro SS Convertible
2011 Harley Davidson FLHX Street Glide
RollaMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:32 PM   #8
xVengeancex28


 
xVengeancex28's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 10,532
looks good!

woooo, post # 10k
__________________
Click Sig For Graphics Page On Facebook
xVengeancex28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:16 PM   #9
GMTool

 
GMTool's Avatar
 
Drives: AGM 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Southwest Illinois
Posts: 1,249
Nice: Right after I put mine on I went for a ride and I did notice a little difference. Going over some familiar bumps it just felt better. I have read some posts on other threads where people say "skip this mod". But for the price, the looks and the ease of install, if your Camaro already has the holes for it. Its a great addition.
__________________
CAI Cold Air Kit. Dynatech Headers. High Flow Cats. Corsa Catback. JRE Tune. OEM Strut Tower Brace
GMTool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:17 PM   #10
GMTool

 
GMTool's Avatar
 
Drives: AGM 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Southwest Illinois
Posts: 1,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by xVengeancex28 View Post
looks good!

woooo, post # 10k
Congrats on 10K.
__________________
CAI Cold Air Kit. Dynatech Headers. High Flow Cats. Corsa Catback. JRE Tune. OEM Strut Tower Brace
GMTool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:28 PM   #11
ToddB

 
Drives: 2011 2SS Convertible Supercharged
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: WI Cert Welder Navy NSSN
Posts: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollaMo View Post
Yep, looks just like the one on our 2011 Convertible.
Yep my car had it first.
__________________
2011 Camaro SS, LS3,Whipple SC, CAI intake, ARH 2" Headers, Corsa exhaust, ZL1 fuel pump with ADM FPCM ,ID850, BMR suspension upgrades,Tune by JRE LS9 Cam
ToddB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:37 PM   #12
The Blue Angel
Tampa Bay Camaros
 
Drives: 2014 Blue Ray Metallic 1SS/RS
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Palmetto, FL
Posts: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMTool View Post
Nice: Right after I put mine on I went for a ride and I did notice a little difference. Going over some familiar bumps it just felt better. I have read some posts on other threads where people say "skip this mod". But for the price, the looks and the ease of install, if your Camaro already has the holes for it. Its a great addition.
You'll notice the difference in turns!! I certainly did!!
__________________
2014 Blue Ray Metallic 1SS/RS
The Blue Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:40 PM   #13
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor
 
Angrybird 12's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 14 Spark
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: J. C. Tennessee
Posts: 17,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat Maro View Post
love it. it fits perfect. GMPartsDirect.com is where i got it. if you have a 2013 and up i def recommend it.
It will fit mid year 11's and up, plus earlier ones with an adaptor.
__________________
Cancer's a bitch! Enjoy life while you can! LIVE, LOVE, DRIVE...CAMARO!

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:50 PM   #14
AdamEL
Adam E. Lucchesi
 
AdamEL's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS LS3 Victory Red
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 1,271
Send a message via AIM to AdamEL
My buddy said I should get one. Can anyone link me to an adapter that I'd need for my 2010 SS, please?
__________________
AdamEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 03:37 AM   #15
jravenfan
 
Drives: 2013 2SS Blue Ray Metallic
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Eldersburg MD
Posts: 275
I should have asked for on for Christmas,
__________________
jravenfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 04:39 AM   #16
kmm1412
The Bolt-On Beast
 
kmm1412's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IBM w/CGM Stripes
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Jamison, PA
Posts: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamEL View Post
My buddy said I should get one. Can anyone link me to an adapter that I'd need for my 2010 SS, please?

Here you go...

http://www.tpis.com/parts/view/267

Used it for mine and worked great!!!

Check My Garage for pix...
__________________
2011 2SS/RS 6M Imperial Blue Metallic|Cyber Gray Metallic Stripes|Gray Interior|Factory (KAE) Hurst Short Throw Shifter|Sunroof
MODS - 1LE Track Pack Suspension Upgrade|Kooks Custom Stepped Headers & HFCs|Cold Air Inductions Black CAI|ADM Performance Scoop|Vmax IBM CNC Ported Throttle Body|Rx Extreme IBM Catch Can & Breather|Borla S-Type Catback Exhaust w/Solo J-pipes|IBM Heritage Grill|AAC IBM & Tinted LED Sidemarkers|Roto-Fab IBM Engine & Radiator Covers|463RWHP/459RWTQ Tune by Dale Cherry

kmm1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 05:12 AM   #17
PalmerGA


 
PalmerGA's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Southwest GA
Posts: 5,912
So, can anyone tell me why GM engineers feel the convertibles need a strut brace but coupes do not? I have searched (and read) some other threads on this and I understand the horizontal stiffening provided by the brace, but why does the convertible come standard with one and not the coupes? Is there really that much additional "flex" in the suspension without the hard roof/pillars of the coupe being present? Just curious.
__________________
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99
CAI Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes
RX Catch Can
Husky Splash Guards
Heritage Grille
Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs
Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges
Emblem Pros Custom Retro SS Kickplates
Emblem Pros Under-hood Bowtie
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 05:35 AM   #18
TheHorse13

 
TheHorse13's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Black SS M6
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Harpers Ferry, WV
Posts: 863
Quote:
Is there really that much additional "flex" in the suspension without the hard roof/pillars of the coupe being present?
There is enough flex to require a strut brace. A V8 with a lot of torque can twist a frame pretty quickly.
TheHorse13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 05:55 AM   #19
USCAMARO14

 
USCAMARO14's Avatar
 
Drives: 2LS 2014
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Staten ISland
Posts: 1,017
Smile

I got to say you do feel the difference in turns. Looks good!
USCAMARO14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:49 AM   #20
RollaMo

 
RollaMo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS Convertible
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Rolla, MO
Posts: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
So, can anyone tell me why GM engineers feel the convertibles need a strut brace but coupes do not? I have searched (and read) some other threads on this and I understand the horizontal stiffening provided by the brace, but why does the convertible come standard with one and not the coupes? Is there really that much additional "flex" in the suspension without the hard roof/pillars of the coupe being present? Just curious.
Yes, since the convertibles don't have a top they inherently have more "flex" than a coupe would.
This is true for just about any convertible, not just the camaro.

This brace helps in keeping the body a little more rigid during cornering.

Just normal straight line driving, you won't notice any difference.
It is when you push the car to its limits where the difference between a coupe and convertible would be noticed.

Look at the undercarriage of each and you will see the convertible has additional bracing there also.
__________________
1996 Corvette - LT4
2011 Camaro SS Convertible
2011 Harley Davidson FLHX Street Glide
RollaMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:28 AM   #21
Frank in MD
Raining Blood
 
Frank in MD's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 SS Performance Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: facebook
Posts: 2,593
In addition to the strut tower brace, the vert also has a reinforced trans tunnel brace and extra steel under the rear seats for more stiffness and rigidity that the coupes also do not have.
__________________
Ordered 1/9/12 - Born 2/3/12 - Delivered 2/21/12 - '12 1SS/RS Summit White - TRADED.

2014 SS Performance Sedan - Red Hot 2 - Black Leather. S/R. Full size spare.
Frank in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:30 AM   #22
wayne watson

 
wayne watson's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 camaro ss ,1967 chevelle ss,
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: loganville
Posts: 913
Very nice that's next on my list also
wayne watson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 02:01 PM   #23
PalmerGA


 
PalmerGA's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Southwest GA
Posts: 5,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHorse13 View Post
There is enough flex to require a strut brace. A V8 with a lot of torque can twist a frame pretty quickly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollaMo View Post
Yes, since the convertibles don't have a top they inherently have more "flex" than a coupe would.
This is true for just about any convertible, not just the camaro.

This brace helps in keeping the body a little more rigid during cornering.

Just normal straight line driving, you won't notice any difference.
It is when you push the car to its limits where the difference between a coupe and convertible would be noticed.

Look at the undercarriage of each and you will see the convertible has additional bracing there also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank in MD View Post
In addition to the strut tower brace, the vert also has a reinforced trans tunnel brace and extra steel under the rear seats for more stiffness and rigidity that the coupes also do not have.
Thank you, gentlemen. I appreciate the answers. I heard many times over the years that convertibles (in general) are heavier than their coupe counterparts. I guess the extra metal underneath to make up for the lack of metal (roof, etc.) up top.
__________________
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99
CAI Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes
RX Catch Can
Husky Splash Guards
Heritage Grille
Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs
Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges
Emblem Pros Custom Retro SS Kickplates
Emblem Pros Under-hood Bowtie
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 02:11 PM   #24
heymatt
 
heymatt's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 IBM 2SS Vert.
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tequesta, Fl.
Posts: 719
On a uni body car the body is the main structure. Front and rear subframes attach the suspension and drive train to the body. Cut the roof off and you lose the structiral integrity of the body. Hence the need for the additional bracing under the convertible, the tower brace is just part of the bracing needed to control flexing of the body.
__________________
LS3/M6 K&N, VMAX throttle body, RX Catch Can, skip shift eliminator, DT shorties and Solo HFC, DRL harness and 5K LED DRL, ZL1 rear sway, 1LE front sway
heymatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:53 PM   #25
AdamEL
Adam E. Lucchesi
 
AdamEL's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS LS3 Victory Red
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 1,271
Send a message via AIM to AdamEL
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmm1412 View Post
Here you go...

http://www.tpis.com/parts/view/267

Used it for mine and worked great!!!

Check My Garage for pix...
Awesome!! Thank you so much for posting this. Funny how the bracket kit is just as much as the strut tower brace itself. Did you install it yourself, or is this a, "leave it to the pros" kind of mod?
__________________
AdamEL is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.