Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 01-07-2014, 08:45 AM   #15
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
Quote:
Originally Posted by brt3 View Post
Some great points in this thread. I have raced with SCCA, on a limited basis years back, and have gotten to where I really just enjoy driving on-track with the right group of guys/gals. I don't have anything to prove to anyone, and I do NOT expect to be the next Andretti/Schumacher/Vettel. I just want to keep improving my skill set.

As a result I started researching HPDE groups and settled on Hooked On Driving. David Ray runs a great organization, and I've found they are quick to enforce the most important HPDE rule: locate and eradicate "That Guy". You know the one -- the one that thinks he's the best and fastest and who needs to prove it to everyone. You can see a video featuring "That Guy" by clicking HERE.

HOD is great about targeting these folks, talking to them, and either modifying their behavior or making it clear they're not welcome. Because of this policy I feel comfortable running with them, as there seem to be very few bozos at their events. The last thing you want at a track day is someone who's going to endanger other cars!

I've ordered a Z/28 because I want to increase my track days significantly. I was driving a C63 Black Series coupe, and loved it so much I realized I wanted to do a lot more with it. The C63-BS was a reach for me financially, but I bought it because it was absolutely overbuilt and bullet-proof for track use. Once I realized that tripling my track days would subject me to the European Car Dealer Tax (when it came to parts and service), I sold the C63. I was getting ready to build out a Camaro or Mustang as a street-drivable track-day car, but getting frustrated at the expense of getting exactly what I wanted.

When Chevy announced the Z/28, it seemed like the perfect expression of everything I wanted in a track-day car (outside of curb weight). A total beast with very high limits and a wicked V-8 sound that can be flogged all day -- without worrying about overheated brakes, transmission, engine, or rear end. An absolute monster that should be a total joy on track; I can't wait to get mine and hope to run at least two-dozen track days in 2014.

Let's pray that many of the people who buy these cars will run them as Al Openheiser intended, as I really hope to see other Z/28s out on track! I'll be running mostly at Laguna Seca, Sears Point, and Thunderhill in the SF Bay Area.
So many great points in your post! You could be the poster child (man) for HPDE and what it is all about. Your specific view on it is so common amongst participants. Sharing the experience as you've done really helps people to understand the opportunities open to them to drive on track. Great stuff!

Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:40 AM   #16
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
GREAT thread, all!

(...I'm glad some people get it.....):thum b:
Old 01-07-2014, 09:44 AM   #17
shawn18
OWTATIME

Drives: 1969 CaRaMo & Oranch ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
GREAT thread, all!

There is the answer everyone's "including mine" question. It is designed for HPDE and not racing. That's cool , I can't justify the money but I am not knocking those who will. To each their own and if you do buy one , I am sure it will be one hell of a car. I can't wait to see one in the wild.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:56 PM   #18
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfatuated View Post
So many great points in your post! You could be the poster child (man) for HPDE and what it is all about. Your specific view on it is so common amongst participants. Sharing the experience as you've done really helps people to understand the opportunities open to them to drive on track. Great stuff!
Thanks! Coming from someone who owns my absolute dream car makes it mean even more! Hope to run into you on track sometime; it would be an honor to get passed by a BAC Mono...
Old 01-07-2014, 01:10 PM   #19
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
GREAT thread, all!

To paraphrase the movie line, "If you build it, they will come!"...

Thanks for building the ultimate "drive to the track, enjoy the track-day, then drive it home" car! I can't wait to get mine and get it to Laguna Seca.

You guys are doing QC/pre-shipping break-in on these, right? Nothing worse than having to baby it for the first 1K miles, when all you want to do is unleash the hounds...

Last edited by brt3; 01-07-2014 at 02:06 PM.
brt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:54 PM   #20
Zfatuated

Quote:
Thanks! Coming from someone who owns my absolute dream car makes it mean even more! Hope to run into you on track sometime; it would be an honor to get passed by a BAC Mono...
You are cracking me up! Yes, we are bound to meet up somewhere. It's going to be a good year, I'm feeling it!

Quote:
You guys are doing QC/pre-shipping break-in on these, right? Nothing worse than having to baby it for the first 1K miles, when all you want to do is unleash the hounds...
Lol! That is really funny!

Old 01-07-2014, 05:59 PM   #21
Dr. Evil

Drives: 2013 SS
Just like in drag racing there is no single way to go about track days that is all encompassing.
A lot of track rats will tow a vehicle to/from the track complete with spares. I'm pretty sure you could shred a set of those trofeo tires on the Z in one day. The you get to drive home on them, not fun.
Other guys will want to brag about being able to drive to the track, run laps and drive the car home.

I'm not sure people who have never been on a track understand just how big a difference tires make. Going from a set of street tires like the Pirellis on the SS to a set of Hoosier R6 will make a (insert favorite adjective here, I'll use ginormous) difference in track times.
Most track days I have seen are limited to 20 or 30 minute sessions. That's long enough to get brakes/tires/engines etc. plenty hot but not like an actual race. I've swapped brake pads between sessions before and these breaks give you a chance to evaluate the cars condition and swap tires and make adjustments.
For most of these type events a properly maintained and driven street car(assuming a properly chosen platform to begin with) will be plenty fast at a fraction of the cost. I'm not trying to dampen the spirits of Z/28 fans and the makers but at this price point for track days I'm just not feeling it.

I see the new Z/28 as an exercise in engineering. More along the lines of " Hey look what we can do". Its cool and its fast and it cost a lot.
Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:47 PM   #22
DESERTDOG

Drives: 2012 ZL1 M6 Summit White
Tracking the new Z28 will be an unbelievable experience, watching the 'Z' YouTube video of it on the Nurbergring makes you want to go our and order one....good luck to you who have the finical means to own one of these factory race cars, send in some GoPro videos of it on the track.
DESERTDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:09 PM   #23
jim911

Drives: 2014 Stingray, 2014 E63 AMG Wagon,
anyone concerned about safety. A harness bar, 5 point harness and Hans device?
jim911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:04 PM   #24
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim911 View Post
anyone concerned about safety. A harness bar, 5 point harness and Hans device?
I will be looking to add those items to mine during the first season on-track. I am tempted to install a roll-cage, but the headroom will already be tight for me...
Old 01-11-2014, 06:19 PM   #25
Mgizzle

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS
This thing is the ultimate HPDE car, seriously. I have been doing them since I left college and am doing them with my 1LE but the Z/28 has everything you need to make a dependable track car that you can drive to the track, have a really good adrenalin pumping time and drive back home without worrying if you overheated the diff, trans or motor. I love my 1LE but I leave the track nervous with it since it is missing some of those critical "track components" I feel are necessary; drysump, diff cooler, upgraded engine/trans oil coolers and brakes you know will not fade no matter what you throw at them.

I hope I can get a used one one day that somebody bought to just show off on the streets with.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:52 PM   #26
backtotintops

Drives: 14 Z/28 0#
good thread!

Quote:
Nothing worse than having to baby it for the first 1K miles, when all you want to do is unleash the hounds...
I hate this! I remember it was something about varying the rpm's not exceeding 4k for the first 500 or 1000. What is the break in on a LS7 vette?

I found this a real exercise in self control.
backtotintops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:44 PM   #27
LostPony

Drives: 2012 Boss 302
I would caution people about using a 5 or 6 pint harness in a car without a roll cage of some sort. 3 point belts are designed to allow your body to move to one side or the other under certain conditions, including rollovers. A 5 or 6 point will keep you upright in the seat and may do more harm than good in a rollover should the roof collapse.

I have personally witnessed a rollover in a 911 where the instructor had the 3 point belt on, and was happy he did as the roof collapsed due to a direct strike on the A-pillar on his side. Had he been more securely fastened his head would have been in the crush zone.

I know it's nice to have that secure feeling a 5 or 6 point provides, but all safety equipment should be examined as a whole before opting for just one component.

2012 Kona Boss 302 #2758
LostPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:01 PM   #28
Zfatuated

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostPony View Post
I would caution people about using a 5 or 6 pint harness in a car without a roll cage of some sort. 3 point belts are designed to allow your body to move to one side or the other under certain conditions, including rollovers. A 5 or 6 point will keep you upright in the seat and may do more harm than good in a rollover should the roof collapse.

I have personally witnessed a rollover in a 911 where the instructor had the 3 point belt on, and was happy he did as the roof collapsed due to a direct strike on the A-pillar on his side. Had he been more securely fastened his head would have been in the crush zone.

I know it's nice to have that secure feeling a 5 or 6 point provides, but all safety equipment should be examined as a whole before opting for just one component.
Words to live by. Literally. Three point belt allows a person to "rag-doll" in a rollover (as LostPony noted) to avoid neck/spinal injuries.

As nice as it is to be locked in by a 6-pt, it must be (for safety sake) in conjunction with a full safety system (full cage, no airbags, side nets, halo seat). I'll be tracking my Z/28 with nothing but OE safety systems.