Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

DJ Grilles
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Forced Induction - V6 V6 Supercharger, turbo, nitrous discussions

Old 01-21-2014, 06:29 PM   #1
MagnumForceGB

Drives: 2010 Camaro V6 / 2014 Mustang 5.0
IPF S/C PCV Fix

After quite a bit of research I have come up with a solution to the IPF PCV system. Before my engine would constantly stall while coming to a stop, after 1 month with this custom setup I have not stalled once.

The IPF system combines both the dirty side (passenger side) and clean side (driver side) to a single can with an outlet to the inlet tune in front of the supercharger. This setup deletes the inlet to the intake manifold. During normal operation the suction of the supercharger would keep the crankcase under constant vacuum, but changes how the system was originally designed. The OEM setup when the intake manifold was under vacuum would draw air through the clean side through the crank case and then into the intake manifold. With the IPF system no air could enter through the intake manifold PCV hole so the engine would starve for air and stall during the right conditions. The IPF system also had over 8' of tubes going from the crankcase to the catch can then another 5' to the intake tube. The catch can was in front of the car so the hot air from the crankcase would cool down by the can, causing excessive amounts of water to collect in the can. This water would eventually get sucked up by the supercharger and cause problems.

With my custom setup I reset the system back to the way the OEM was. The Dirty side goes to a catch can, then goes to the intake manifold. The line going to the intake manifold has a check valve that will only allow air to go into the intake manifold, keeping boost out of the can and crankcase. The clean side I have routed straight to the intake tube in front of the supercharger. When the intake manifold is under vacuum air is routed through the clean side, through the crankcase and then to the intake manifold. During boost the supercharger creates a vacuum, keeping the crankcase under vacuum. I currently do not have a catch can on the clean side, but it is optional if you want to make sure no oil gets into the intake.

Another setup that is possible is getting the Elite Engineering can with 2 output check valves. The extra output line will go to the supercharger inlet, keeping the check valve to where air can not enter the can from the inlet. When the intake manifold is under vacuum it will draw air through the crankcase like normal, and not through the supercharger inlet if you had a free-flowing line. When the intake manifold is under boost the vacuum from the supercharger inlet will draw air through the crankcase. The only problem with this is you will have to put a breather on the clean side to allow fresh air to be drawn in. If there is extreme crankcase pressure that the dirty side can not expel fast enough it will go either through the breather or through the gaskets. Another option to fix that would be to add an extra line into the supercharger inlet. I think this would be the ideal solution though, it will allow maximum evacuation of the crankcase pressure.

Attached are 2 crude drawings I made with my Surface Pro 2. I'm going to make a quick drawing to show what the last paragraph was talking about.
Attached Images

Old 01-21-2014, 06:37 PM   #2
MagnumForceGB

Here is my terrible drawing of the best solution setup I could think of. I just don't know how you would put the extra tube on the intake tube after the MAF but before the supercharger. You might be able to T the dirty and clean side lines together right before the supercharger tube after the catch cans. But that would still put a bottleneck in the system.
Attached Images

Old 01-21-2014, 08:08 PM   #3
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
Get yourself a 1le or RX separator and put on the clean side and you will be fine. You can drill an elbow for the second dirty side vacuum. I have seen it on a few IPF setups already.
As soon as the weather breaks here I'll get a photo of this with an RX separator on the clean side.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:21 PM   #4
MagnumForceGB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutbutt View Post
Get yourself a 1le or RX separator and put on the clean side and you will be fine. You can drill an elbow for the second dirty side vacuum. I have seen it on a few IPF setups already.
As soon as the weather breaks here I'll get a photo of this with an RX separator on the clean side.
Only thing I don't like about the 1LE separators is that anything it collects it puts back right into the crank case. If there was any water that would have gotten boiled off into the clean side (going down the track oil temps would get over 210) it will just collect in the separator and dump back into the crankcase.

I e-mailed IPF about this but I am not getting any e-mails back from them. Even when I want to order parts from them I get nothing back.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:29 PM   #5
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutbutt View Post

What am I missing here guys? (Sorry when I see "RX" I throw up in my mouth) what issues are we having with the catchcans?

I took my plenum cover off this past Sat to have a look see at the inside of my IM and here is what I found:

That's not a lot. It certainly wasn't pooled up as was the case with my RX CC on my RX front mount SC kit.

I drain the fluid out every 2 weeks or so. I do wish the catchcan was in a more convenient location.

Are ppl having better success with the elite can?
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:43 PM   #6
HeritageLS

Drives: 2012 1LS Camaro (Victory Red)
IPF S/C PCV Fix

Any links that anyone has offhand that can help me better understand the issues I should be concerned with the IPF SC system? I'm going to be putting it on when the water weather sets in but I want to educate myself and protect my car. Thanks
HeritageLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:51 PM   #7
MagnumForceGB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIXJAK View Post
What am I missing here guys? (Sorry when I see "RX" I throw up in my mouth) what issues are we having with the catchcans?

I took my plenum cover off this past Sat to have a look see at the inside of my IM and here is what I found:

That's not a lot. It certainly wasn't pooled up as was the case with my RX CC on my RX front mount SC kit.

I drain the fluid out every 2 weeks or so. I do wish the catchcan was in a more convenient location.

Are ppl having better success with the elite can?
With my IPF can I had to dump my can every 4 days, it was filling up with water. My car was also stalling due to the deletion of the intake manifold PCV inlet. I tried multiple tunes and everything failed till I put the PCV system back to the way OEM was just with a check valve. The IPF can also was allowing oil into my intake, I would have oil streaks all over the tubes.

My elite can is working well.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:51 PM   #8
HeritageLS

IPF S/C PCV Fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForceGB View Post
With my IPF can I had to dump my can every 4 days, it was filling up with water. My car was also stalling due to the deletion of the intake manifold PCV inlet. I tried multiple tunes and everything failed till I put the PCV system back to the way OEM was just with a check valve. The IPF can also was allowing oil into my intake, I would have oil streaks all over the tubes.

My elite can is working well.

So you have the elite can along with the ipf can?
Old 01-21-2014, 08:55 PM   #9
MagnumForceGB

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeritageLS View Post
So you're saying to pick up an elite can an add it to the system along with the ipf can?
I wouldn't use the IPF can at all. Its just an empty can with coiled wire mesh in it, its crap. They actually sell them on Ebay for $50.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:03 PM   #10
HeritageLS

IPF S/C PCV Fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForceGB View Post
I wouldn't use the IPF can at all. Its just an empty can with coiled wire mesh in it, its crap. They actually sell them on Ebay for $50.

Dude! I thought I read that a while back. Messed up. Didn't realize it was true. Thanks for that

Elite's v2 catch can has a few more options. Did you look at any of the options to help with the issues you described above? I'm lacking the correct knowledge to really make a huge contribution but they have options for two exit ports and and a single or double exit check valve

Hopefully I'm not way off with this lol

**EDIT**
I will sit back and just learn
Maybe I'll get some sleep and return tomorrow. I read all of that too...smh

Last edited by HeritageLS; 01-21-2014 at 09:24 PM.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:06 PM   #11
MagnumForceGB

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeritageLS View Post
Dude! I thought I read that a while back. Messed up. Didn't realize it was true. Thanks for that

Elite's v2 catch can has a few more options. Did you look at any of the options to help with the issues you described above? I'm lacking the correct knowledge to really make a huge contribution but they have options for two exit ports and and a single or double exit check valve

Hopefully I'm not way off with this lol
The first post here describes an Elite v2 can with a single check valve.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:08 PM   #12
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

Drives: 2012 Camaro LS "Hot Blown Six"
look at the LS boosted valve cover adapter, it is a one way relief only, no unmetered air in. I am using their catch can and the oil breather. Great setup, I am still tweaking my set up as I run reverse, fresh in the passenger side and evac the drivers side. I am going to try the normal flow too, like posted here and see if there are any differences.

http://mightym0use.wix.com/mm-solutions#!lsx/cqtl

And by the way, I tried to contact IPF over a year ago with the pully and evac suggestions, but they fell on deaf ears.... Still a great product, just needs a few tweaks.

2012 LS M6,ZL1Brakes, OEM Foglights (BCM Flashed for Fogs),4 Pack Guages, Factory Reproduction Wheels,Nitto NT05 tires 275/315 stagger, Leather OEM Steering Wheel,Hurst Shifter, GM Hurst Leather Shifter knob,OEM Leather Console top,Carbon Fiber Stripe Package,Emblems with Carbon overlays, ZL1 Grill,LSR Stage 4 susp,1LE Strut Brace, SOLO Cats and Exhaust, 1LE Struts/shocks, IPF Supercharger-Redline Motorsports, FSP Tuning
sycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:49 PM   #13
Black Knight

Drives: Supercharged LS
Great work magnum . This will solve my stalling issue. And know I understand where to run wht lines when I order my can thanks!
Old 01-21-2014, 10:12 PM   #14
Black Knight

Hey magnum does the elite system come with a fitting to run of the intake manifold ? Not sure if I still have mine
Old 01-22-2014, 09:19 AM   #15
Nutbutt

No the elite does not come with the elbow for the intake manifold. You need to order the whole line from elbow back to the passenger side manifold. I have one on order from the dealer since I couldn't find the part number anywhere. When it comes in Ill post it up. Should be here today but snow storm on east coast delayed it.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:29 AM   #16
MagnumForceGB

I just looked and couldn't find the elbow piece either. Make sure you get the O-rings so you don't get any vacuum leaks.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:51 AM   #17
Sikoriko

Drives: 2011 V6 IOM
This may be getto but adding a clear fuel filter before the check valve will help reduce the oil induction.
Sikoriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:55 AM   #18
MagnumForceGB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sikoriko View Post
This may be getto but adding a clear fuel filter before the check valve will help reduce the oil induction.
Ghetto is what we specialize in.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:25 PM   #19
KMPrenger

Drives: '10 ABM LT/RS, 06 Chevy Colorado
I don't have the IPF S/C, but even I appreciate you posting this up.

Sometimes I wonder if the issue with the can filling with water doesn't have to do with where a person lives? (causing moisture build up) Or perhaps the type of driving or duration of driving that causes it?

With likely hundreds of these kits sold, if there was a large issue with water in the can you'd think we'd see more of this on here, or IPF would have taken a look by now. Like SIXJAK states...his seems to be fine as long as he drains it every few weeks.

But I remember another person with the IPF S/C kit and the same issue just like MagnumForce, so I know it isn't just him.

Really glad you posted this up though. I think it will be beneficial!
IPF Tune, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Vararam intake, MACE Ported Manifold, RX Ported TB, "Black Ice" manifold insulator, Elite Catch Can, ZL1 repro wheels, ZL1 Springs, DRL Harness, Front GM GFX, Heritage grill, Street Scene lower grill, NLP Spoiler, ZL1 rockers and much more!
KMPrenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:01 PM   #20
MagnumForceGB

Thanks. Too bad my drawing skills suck. I drove my car 17 miles one way to work 4 times a day, plenty of time to heat the oil up. Its been humid here though when I had the old can on. I don't think the IPF can is good for long term. I would have a pool of oil in my throttle body after a while, had to clean it thinking it was causing my car to stall.

I've been thinking about how the clean side should be if you put a catch can on it. I would probably have someway of bypassing the can if air is going from the intake tube to the crankcase. If air is being drawn out of the crankcase then go through the catch can.

I will need to see how my fresh air line looks after a trip down the drag strip.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:23 PM   #21
Nutbutt

I am surprised that six isn't having the moisture build up. I haven't seen one yet that isn't catching a lot of moisture with the IPF setup utilizing their can or any other brand. In the winter I empty the can every 2 tanks of gas. I empty out just about cup of water/oil/gas mixture.
I am going back to the setup with two lines vacuum lines on the dirty side and a RX/1le separator on the clean side. The separator will grab any residue if the clean side goes into a vacuum mode.
I think GM finally got it right with the addition of the separator.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:31 PM   #22
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

Drives: 2012 Camaro LS "Hot Blown Six"
part # 12616915 is the tube with the elbow for the intake on a LLT motor, 12616908 and 12616909 are the 2 orings for the tube...

12638437 is the tube and 12616909 is the oring, for the LFX

2012 LS M6,ZL1Brakes, OEM Foglights (BCM Flashed for Fogs),4 Pack Guages, Factory Reproduction Wheels,Nitto NT05 tires 275/315 stagger, Leather OEM Steering Wheel,Hurst Shifter, GM Hurst Leather Shifter knob,OEM Leather Console top,Carbon Fiber Stripe Package,Emblems with Carbon overlays, ZL1 Grill,LSR Stage 4 susp,1LE Strut Brace, SOLO Cats and Exhaust, 1LE Struts/shocks, IPF Supercharger-Redline Motorsports, FSP Tuning
sycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:03 PM   #23
Black Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycraft View Post
part # 12616915 is the tube with the elbow for the intake on a LLT motor, 12616908 and 12616909 are the 2 orings for the tube...

Kool thanks . Will order with catch can
Old 01-22-2014, 05:18 PM   #24
Lil' Nasty
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: Supercharged V6
Great thread, Going to try the setup like Nutt, but with the GM separator.

As for my IPF can, there was a few ounces of water and moisture inside the can, little to NO oil. Only checked it once since the install, but with taking it off i'll see what i find.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:46 PM   #25
Nutbutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycraft View Post

Clint you are amazing ! Even the guys at my dealership were stumped and had to call GM. Hope you enjoying Texas !