Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Forced Induction - V6 V6 Supercharger, turbo, nitrous discussions

Old 01-29-2014, 09:56 PM   #76
MagnumForceGB

Drives: 2010 Synergy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycraft View Post
I have to ask, seems like a lot of plumbing on the intake? could you explain?
That's just for the fresh air side since I couldn't get a 5/8th check valve. The fresh air line branches off to the catch can and to a check valve, then combines again to the intake tube with a line going off that to the other catch can. When the intake manifold is under vacuum it by-passes the catch can on the fresh air side. Under boost is vents through the catch cans on both sides into the intake tube. The check valve on the fresh air line is to make sure it goes through the catch can when venting. It looks more complicated than it is, when I get the correct parts it will flow more naturally.

If you are talking about the wire looms below, that is for my DRL harness I made myself, I have a non-RS but I got the halo's and fogs to come on just like a RS.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:37 PM   #77
Lil' Nasty
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: Supercharged V6
I'll finally contribute. Got almost everything set up. Just need to connect the fresh line to the 1/2" fitting on the elite can.
Then see about getting 1/2" line for the SC inlet to the 1le separator. (Need to also go back and put the manifold plug bracket back on, to be on the safe side.

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1391056568730.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  59.6 KB

Sent from my Transforming Note 3
Old 01-31-2014, 04:33 AM   #78
Black Knight

Drives: Supercharged LS
Hey Alex what size line are you running of your intake mainfold . ?
Old 01-31-2014, 07:45 AM   #79
Lil' Nasty
Emerald Coast Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
Hey Alex what size line are you running of your intake mainfold . ?
3/8"...just like the dirty line.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:12 PM   #80
MagnumForceGB

Just ordered 2x 3/8th AN male weld-in fittings. Going to have 3 lines on the intake tube for the pcv system, 2x 3/8th lines for venting, and the stock 5/8th line for fresh air.

So far the setup is working, the dual can caught stuff, I cleaned the clean side last night to see how it looks today. It is a pain to check though since I have to pull the entire can out.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:54 PM   #81
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
Any noticeable effects on the idle dive or stalling ??
Old 01-31-2014, 06:33 PM   #82
MagnumForceGB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutbutt View Post
Any noticeable effects on the idle dive or stalling ??
Hasn't stalled yet, even with the tune that stalled all the time. The idle dive still happens. Think the only solution for the idle diving is to put nitrous on the car.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:43 PM   #83
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

Drives: 2012 Camaro LS "Hot Blown Six"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForceGB View Post
Hasn't stalled yet, even with the tune that stalled all the time. The idle dive still happens. Think the only solution for the idle diving is to put nitrous on the car.
I may try a blow through MAF as opposed to the draw through, just need to retune the whole thing. for the idle issue

2012 LS M6,ZL1Brakes, OEM Foglights (BCM Flashed for Fogs),4 Pack Guages, Factory Reproduction Wheels,Nitto NT05 tires 275/315 stagger, Leather OEM Steering Wheel,Hurst Shifter, GM Hurst Leather Shifter knob,OEM Leather Console top,Carbon Fiber Stripe Package,Emblems with Carbon overlays, ZL1 Grill,LSR Stage 4 susp,1LE Strut Brace, SOLO Cats and Exhaust, 1LE Struts/shocks, IPF Supercharger-Redline Motorsports, FSP Tuning
sycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:23 AM   #84
Lil' Nasty
Emerald Coast Camaros

Here's a couple pics of everything hooked up and what the IPF can caught.Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1391239407613.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  61.0 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1391239418342.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  61.5 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1391239428235.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  61.6 KB

Sent from my Transforming Note 3
Old 02-01-2014, 08:50 AM   #85
Nutbutt

How long between emptying ? Looks like a lot of condensation mixture.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:19 PM   #86
MagnumForceGB

I drilled 2x 3/8th holes in the intake tube and JB welded 2 8-an weld-on fittings in place. Getting away from the multiple T-connections, looked too ghetto.

Second picture is of the intake manifold from last night. I am hoping this oil got in there from when I had the clean side running straight to the intake tube and the dirty side couldn't vent because of the single exit check valve.
Attached Images

Old 02-17-2014, 09:12 PM   #87
MagnumForceGB

A short update, PCV system is running great. My dirty side has been catching oil but my clean side the can is dry, but the media in the separator part is wet, so I think its slowly accumulating oil. I've only been able to drive it 3 days, cold weather sucks.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:58 PM   #88
HeritageLS

Drives: 2012 1LS Camaro (Victory Red)

Now I feel like I can join the conversation. I did plenty of research and discussions with my brother on the topic. I'm trying to figure out what the worry would be (negatives) on the setup I drew up (I think it was mentioned that it works but what else is trying to be fixed)?

The separator should work all year without issue even in colder climates (like NY right now...) as long as you properly allow your engine to warm up every time you drive the vehicle.

Is the problem that the separator cannot effectively catch enough oil under boost on the clean side when it runs in reverse of the normal flow under regular vacuum? And the check valve on the catch can will make sure the flow doesn't go in reverse out of the intake manifold.

Please rip this apart. I'm trying to figure out the fault here or if I missed something in a previous post

Thanks!
HeritageLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:19 PM   #89
MagnumForceGB

That is the base idea, get the vacuum in the intake manifold when not in boost. One thing I would look at is some kind of relief for the catch can under boost. The crankcase pressure will build up in the catch can and may damage your check valve (did on mine). Also, if no relief is there you could seep oil out of the valve cover.

I'm typing from my phone so if I missed anything I will answer tonight.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:26 PM   #90
HeritageLS

IPF S/C PCV Fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForceGB View Post
That is the base idea, get the vacuum in the intake manifold when not in boost. One thing I would look at is some kind of relief for the catch can under boost. The crankcase pressure will build up in the catch can and may damage your check valve (did on mine). Also, if no relief is there you could seep oil out of the valve cover.

I'm typing from my phone so if I missed anything I will answer tonight.

Yeah definitely not good. Is there that much pressure with this system? I've been trying to research something similar to a blowoff valve to put somewhere to relieve excess pressure buildup to avoid the problem you just mentioned. The MM solutions can with pressure relief valve(if it works) seems like the easiest solution. If not, then placing a pressure relief valve after the catch can on the dirty side so its free of oil. But I'm wondering if the catch can would get backed up with the high pressure going into it or if it would allow enough flow to effectively release the pressure

Last edited by HeritageLS; 03-06-2014 at 04:56 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:04 PM   #91
MagnumForceGB

There is a lot of pressure at WOT when you add a supercharger or turbo. If you use a dual exit port catch can you can have the supercharger inlet provide a vacuum source when you are in boost, relieving the pressure from the crankcase.

I have the dual exit port, so I don't know how the MM cans are in person.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:20 PM   #92
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

Go with the Mighty Mouse, the boost proof can has a great vent. any positive pressure and it vents freely, allowing no fresh air in. Several other members have now tried it, all love the can so far.... maybe they will chime in.

2012 LS M6,ZL1Brakes, OEM Foglights (BCM Flashed for Fogs),4 Pack Guages, Factory Reproduction Wheels,Nitto NT05 tires 275/315 stagger, Leather OEM Steering Wheel,Hurst Shifter, GM Hurst Leather Shifter knob,OEM Leather Console top,Carbon Fiber Stripe Package,Emblems with Carbon overlays, ZL1 Grill,LSR Stage 4 susp,1LE Strut Brace, SOLO Cats and Exhaust, 1LE Struts/shocks, IPF Supercharger-Redline Motorsports, FSP Tuning
Old 03-06-2014, 08:01 PM   #93
Nutbutt

I have the Mighty Mouse also connected up similar to the oem system which was recommended by MM. So far it's been catching really well and has cut down on the water.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:06 PM   #94
HeritageLS

IPF S/C PCV Fix

That's awesome to hear. Has anyone tested to see if it vents enough of the pressure out of the system to render it safe for the engine?

Now the next question is what to use for a plug on stock clean side inlet if I use a separator? I found a site that sells different plugs deigned for it. Offhand does anyone know the size of the clean side hole? Unless one of our vendors has these, I'm looking at something like this: http://www.tdperformance.com/Valve-Cover-Caps-and-Plugs

Or

http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS-Performance-Products/JEGS-Valve-Cover-Grommets/1244456/10002/-1

Last edited by HeritageLS; 03-06-2014 at 09:30 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:29 PM   #95
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

if it vents enough for a full blown V8 producing over 1000 hp, it will surely be enough for our V6...

Old 03-06-2014, 09:36 PM   #96
HeritageLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycraft View Post
if it vents enough for a full blown V8 producing over 1000 hp, it will surely be enough for our V6...

Point well taken. But anyone can claim anything (not saying he's full of...excrement). My curiosity was if there were any specific measurements taken to prove its effectiveness. I'm sure it works, but how well does it work
Old 03-06-2014, 09:51 PM   #97
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

Call him, he will be happy to discuss, very knowledgeable..

http://www.mightymousesolutions.com/