Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Rick@Livernois
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 01-23-2014, 03:13 PM   #43
Sikoriko

Drives: 2011 V6 IOM
magnum, I agree about the location of the IPF can being down by the front tire. too low and moisture can settle/collect easy. Maybe mounting them about valve cover height can do some help?
Sikoriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:21 PM   #44
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
Has anyone taken the oil fill extension from the valve cover off ? Is there an o-ring on the valve cover side to prevent any air or oil leaks ? Just looked at another and it rotated some and looked like it was weeping oil from the connection to the valve cover ?
Old 01-23-2014, 03:27 PM   #45
MagnumForceGB

Drives: Fastest 2010 Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutbutt View Post
If you are going to supply vacuum to both valve cover sides and have a can on each side the PCV flow direction will oscillate from passenger side to drivers side depending on which side has a higher vacuum level and one of the cans will be in reverse flow all the time. If both vacuums are about the same level wouldn't there be no evacuation taking place ?
Got to say this is a great conversation !
It will actually work just like the stock IPF setup, both sides going to one can and being under vacuum. The stock setup actually worked well during boost, but just allowed too much oil/water through.

The setup I'm going with will do the same with 2 cans. Both cans have check valves on the exit ports so the can will never flow in the reverse direction. Right now I plan on having both sides combine into 1 line before the intake tube. I have no clue what would be involved in getting a 1/4" NPT installed on the intake tube. I think in theory this will provide equal vacuum. If not at least it will allow the crankcase to vent.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:46 PM   #46
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
Is the can you have vented out to relieve pressure or is the breather used to draw in fresh air ? I like the PCV valve better than any check valves !
Old 01-23-2014, 05:28 PM   #47
MagnumForceGB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIGHTYM0USE View Post
It's easy to get caught up in the pcv madness, and over-complicate the system.

I make some stuff i'm pretty proud of after learning how all this plays out on my own cars for the last 10 years or so. I use a real metal pcv valve *gasp* and no in-line checks.

am i correct that the primary concern in this thread is oil consumption or is it keeping boost out of the crank case?

Here is a link to my current instructions, everyone does it differently so in general a bad idea to use one guys can with another guys instructions, but food for thought.

http://media.wix.com/ugd/dddf24_f788...569c78447d.pdf
My original goal was to stop the stalling the car was having when coming to a stop. The IPF system deleted the PCV hose going to the intake manifold. For some reason my engine did not like that and would stall out from a lack of air. I installed an Elite Engineering can with a single check valve to prevent boost from going into the crankcase, but my fresh air line is pushing oil out at high RPM's. I also believe my passenger side valve cover is building up pressure and causing a false knock to happen, lowering my power which I need at the drag strip. My goal is now to install a second catch can, one that will constantly vacuum the passenger side valve cover, the 2nd will only vent the drivers side under boost. When not in boost the driver side will bypass the catch can and supply fresh air from the intake tube to the crank case.

I know I could just vent to atmosphere, but I want to put a vacuum on the crankcase during boost on both sides.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:09 PM   #48
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
Quote:
It's easy to get caught up in the pcv madness, and over-complicate the system.

I make some stuff i'm pretty proud of after learning how all this plays out on my own cars for the last 10 years or so. I use a real metal pcv valve *gasp* and no in-line checks.

am i correct that the primary concern in this thread is oil consumption or is it keeping boost out of the crank case?

Here is a link to my current instructions, everyone does it differently so in general a bad idea to use one guys can with another guys instructions, but food for thought.

http://media.wix.com/ugd/dddf24_f788...569c78447d.pdf
I think it might be different things for different ppl. For me it would be oil consumption mainly because of the propensity of these LLT motors to eat up oil.

I personally found the RX CC to not only be ineffective but exasperate the problem. My IM had oil pooled up inside. And in talking to other RX'd™ FI customers they were having the same issues as me.

With my current system that is what was supplied by IPF, I find that I have to empty my CC ever two-three weeks depending how much the car is driven. What is drained is a watery mocha looking fluid. That said I've been running this system for 14 mos and over 14k miles.

We've been bombarded with a lot of copy and paste info by a self appointed guru who's no longer allowed to post here. But to me it seems he was simply trying to create a need, so he could sell his catchcans.

I'm open to improving my setup with a product that is simple and is backed by science.
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:49 PM   #49
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
Well shoot. MO is a ways away.
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.

Last edited by SIXJAK; 01-23-2014 at 07:04 PM.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:51 PM   #50
hunterv6
Always bet on Black

Drives: 2011 turbo LS, 2012 f 150,
Quote:
If anyone or anyone you know from this forum is near Richmond VA I would like to do an install of one of my new black series cans so that I can my head around any nuances with this layout vs. the other lsx stuff. They look like this.

Wish I was close. By the way thanks for the help on the can and Facebook plug (TW)

Sent from my iPad2 on space mountain
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283263</font>
hunterv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:03 PM   #51
HeritageLS

Drives: 2012 1LS Camaro (Victory Red)
Quote:
If anyone or anyone you know from this forum is near Richmond VA I would like to do an install of one of my new black series cans so that I can my head around any nuances with this layout vs. the other lsx stuff. They look like this.

If you don't get anyone by the time I install mine(warmer weather) I'll take a trip down there to try it out
HeritageLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:07 PM   #52
HeritageLS

Drives: 2012 1LS Camaro (Victory Red)
This thread has me a bit worried about the install of the ipf s/c. I don't want to harm the engine by doing the wrong setup and don't have a lot of expendable cash to throw at it if I get the wrong catch can and need a different one. Gotta dust off that piggy bank and start saving.

I appreciate you all working this out bc it helps us(me) who may not understand as much to do the right thing. I am mechanically inclined but FI is a whole new game to me

Long winded thank you
HeritageLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:04 PM   #53
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 SS Camaro, 06 Colorado
HeritageLS,

As mentioned before, the IPF system is a quality system, but the PCV design may leave a bit to be desired for some out there. That said, I don't think this is going to kill your car, and hopefully by the time you get your kit installed we will have come up with an even better PCV system, or maybe IPF will improve their existing setup.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:07 AM   #54
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

Drives: 2015 Corvette Stingray Z51-Ho-Vette
Its all about personal preference and improving on an already great initial design. I have the Mightymouse can on my car now, and run evac in reverse through the motor, I do not think that is a problem as long as there is fresh airflow. Anyone know anything different please post up. The reason I do not vent back into the inlet is due to the possibility of pressure exceeding the evac lines capacity, thereby causing seal blowby. I have 2 breathers that will not allow any fresh air into the metered air system but will allow Any and ALL positive pressure to escape, protecting my seals. A wise man stated this to me:" I know lots of people are used to the way the X brand can works, and in short, mine works different. if you close the system you effectively limit how much blow by the system can handle. and the X brand can with its single (Dual) line still leaves people having trouble with blow-by." he also states this "by the way, don't ever let anyone convince you to put scotchbrite in the air path of your engine. take some , rub it together, and you will find abrasive dust pile below it." So take it for its worth, we all are on the forefront of making these engines last and perform way beyond their intended capabilities. mine is over a year old and has more than 20k miles on the system of hard use/abuse... Thanks to IPF, Redline Motorsports, Matt Sorian of FSP for the tune, South Florida pulleys, and Mightymouse for the additional parts to make my SC last and be reliable...

2015 Corvette Stingray Z51, 7 Speed, Competition Seats, Red Calipers, Carbon Flash Badges and Trim, Adrenaline Red Interior, Custom Stripes, Tint, Lowered on stock bolts, Z06 Grill, Z06 Splitter, Borla Exhaust (soon)
sycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:36 PM   #55
MagnumForceGB

Ordered the dual check valve elite can from JDP today. I'm going to set it up to vacuum the passenger side under boost to test the theory that my knock retard is from that. After that I will set it up like my 3 year olds drawing.

By the time I'm done I'm hoping to get a full quarter mile run with no knock retard.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:37 PM   #56
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

Drives: 2015 Corvette Stingray Z51-Ho-Vette
Quote:
magnumforce good luck and cool sig!

i will throw out that normal crank pressure is not bank specific. any blowby comes down the cylinders and down straight to the pan, which is in the middle.

if you have trouble still, i have a pressure relief which simply mounts to the oil fill to immediately relieve any pressure and close under vac for stock pcv operation.
Thats what I am using currently too...
Attached Images

2015 Corvette Stingray Z51, 7 Speed, Competition Seats, Red Calipers, Carbon Flash Badges and Trim, Adrenaline Red Interior, Custom Stripes, Tint, Lowered on stock bolts, Z06 Grill, Z06 Splitter, Borla Exhaust (soon)
sycraft is offline   Reply With Quote