Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JUICEDMOTORSPORTS
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 12-29-2017, 11:18 PM   #1
error3rror

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro LS
Help ! my car won't start fast

i had to jump start my vehicle in order for it to turn on. i'm not sure if i need a new battery already or it just needs more charge.

when i turn the engine , it slowly starts,then on the dashboard it keeps saying to open and lower my driver window.

i was out on an army duty for 3 months,not sure if my relatives drove my vehicle.

any suggestions on what to do?
error3rror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 11:23 PM   #2
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Sounds like you need a battery especially if that is the original. You car is seven years old, and if it was allowed to go dead it most likely is done.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 11:42 PM   #3
StreetRage320
Those who need me got me

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Blue Ray A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by error3rror View Post
i had to jump start my vehicle in order for it to turn on. i'm not sure if i need a new battery already or it just needs more charge.

when i turn the engine , it slowly starts,then on the dashboard it keeps saying to open and lower my driver window.

i was out on an army duty for 3 months,not sure if my relatives drove my vehicle.

any suggestions on what to do?
Check your battery voltage must be above 12.5 volts, clean terminals.
StreetRage320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 04:38 AM   #4
Missile Man

Drives: 2010 2SS/Black
I've had to replace my battery 3 times so far. I live in Tucson, AZ and that plays a role in the battery failure, hot temps are not good on batteries. I was also getting the reset the driver side window issue. The new battery stop this until the battery started going south again.

I have 56k miles and just replaced the wires and spark plugs. The electrodes on the plugs were very worn. Starts and runs much better now.

I'm also going to but a Dyna Force MSD starter, turns the car over much quicker and doesn't cause a huge drain on the battery like the stock starter.

Mods:
CAI Intake
Vector Motorsports Tune
Stainless Power LT/Hi Flow Cats/Tru X-Pipe/36" J-Pipes/40 Series
Magnuson MP2300 TVS Supercharger/RDS Spacer
Missile Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 11:54 PM   #5
TWOFORTYZ

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missile Man View Post
I'm also going to but a Dyna Force MSD starter, turns the car over much quicker and doesn't cause a huge drain on the battery like the stock starter.

Unless they have reinvented the wheel, most electric motors are similar in efficiency. This would not be a cost effective modification. Around 746 watts is required for 1 horsepower. There is no magic starter motor that strays from this concept, unless perhaps it has a large capacitor to store the energy and therefore has a lower perceived inrush current.

3 months is not unreasonable for a battery to discharge. Charge it and see what happens, running the car for normal period of time will NOT fully charge a battery, even with a 160 amp alternator. On average it takes me around 100 miles of freeway driving to fully recharge a flat battery. Just because the car starts does not mean it is charged... Check voltage, or plug into a battery charger to confirm my statement.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:06 PM   #6
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS A6
If you have a 2011 with original battery, you need a new one, no matter what. And next time, use a Battery Tender, not relatives, to preserve the battery when you are away.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote