Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

SDTW Custom Wheels & Tires
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 10-25-2017, 08:56 PM   #1
SquawkVFR

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Request help diagnosing a front end vibration

2010 2ss M6 stock front end, stock Pirellis, not a daily driver.

Every now and then when I drive it, I get a noticible vibration in the steering wheel that lasts for about five miles. After that it completely disappears and it won’t happen again for quite some time.

It ONLY happens when I leave the house/garage and not every time.

The tires are balanced. There’s is no play in the wheels or steering. I can’t take it to a mechanic because I can’t duplicate the problem.

Any ideas?
#76,458 of 129,405. Fancy floor mats, AC, painted lug nuts, high thingy on the back, low thingy on the front, loud thingy in the middle, sucker uppers and castle back smoke stack super jet.

Last edited by SquawkVFR; 10-25-2017 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Incomplete
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:27 PM   #2
charles71

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Possibly flat spots on tires. How long between drives? is your garage very cold (concrete floor) or check pressure in tires. big difference between left and right tires until heated by being driven.
Livernois Stage II Heads & Cam, LS7 Lifters, Ported Intake & Throttle Body, Rotofab CAI, BBK High Flow Fuel Rail @ Guage, Eaton Tru Trac Posi with 3.91 gears, 1200 HP Axels, Kooks Long tubes & full Corsa Exhaust, GM Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Mcleod Twin Disc, Vitesse Throttle Controller, 1.25" Lowering Springs, Strut Tower Brace, SLP 25% Underdrive Pulley, Apex reservoir relocation kit and air scoop.
charles71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:55 PM   #3
SquawkVFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles71 View Post
Possibly flat spots on tires. How long between drives? is your garage very cold (concrete floor) or check pressure in tires. big difference between left and right tires until heated by being driven.
Iíll double check for flat spots, my air pressure is +/-3, I suppose the concrete is cold but itís done it two or three times over the summer and Iím betting it wasnít too cold when it was 100į. It has happened when Iíve driven between short times of sitting and longer times.

Also Iíve done performance driving to the tune of 140 and it was smooth as glass. Before, during and after. (It was on a track before all you goody two shoes chime in.)

One of my thoughts was it might be the bearings. But why would the bearings only be a problem intermittently?
#76,458 of 129,405. Fancy floor mats, AC, painted lug nuts, high thingy on the back, low thingy on the front, loud thingy in the middle, sucker uppers and castle back smoke stack super jet.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:01 AM   #4
69 SS 350 5 Speed

Drives: 15 2SS RS 13 GS Vette 69 SS Camaro
The stock Pirelli's are summer tires and when the temperature starts to drop they will flat side after sitting and cold. Once you put some heat in them they will drive normally.

I suggest you drain the air out of them and put in winter air.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:21 AM   #5
SquawkVFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 SS 350 5 Speed View Post
The stock Pirelli's are summer tires and when the temperature starts to drop they will flat side after sitting and cold. Once you put some heat in them they will drive normally.

I suggest you drain the air out of them and put in winter air.
I understand, but itís happening in the summer as well. Unless yíall are saying they just cool off so much from sitting from so long. Thatís a bit disheartening.

Besides, I already changed the air out. First thing I thought of duh.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:23 AM   #6
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2000 MCSS, 2013 1LS & 68 Camaro SS
Send a message via AIM to ChibiBlackSheep
Possibly just some rust on the rotors that needs to come off. How do the brakes look?

2013 Camaro 1LS - Daily Driver
1968 Camaro SS - Show Car
2000 Monte Carlo SS - Paxton Novi Supercharged Project
2008 Impala LT - Because we need at least ONE family car
ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 09:49 AM   #7
SquawkVFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep View Post
Possibly just some rust on the rotors that needs to come off. How do the brakes look?
Brakes and rotors look fine, admittedly there’s a very fine layer sometimes....it enough to cause a vibration?
Old 10-26-2017, 11:04 AM   #8
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2000 MCSS, 2013 1LS & 68 Camaro SS
Send a message via AIM to ChibiBlackSheep
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkVFR View Post
Brakes and rotors look fine, admittedly thereís a very fine layer sometimes....it enough to cause a vibration?
If you can't pinpoint it to the tires, I would really just assume the brake since it goes away right away and it only happens after sitting. Rotors and rust can make a feeling like a vibration or a tire out of balance.

2013 Camaro 1LS - Daily Driver
1968 Camaro SS - Show Car
2000 Monte Carlo SS - Paxton Novi Supercharged Project
2008 Impala LT - Because we need at least ONE family car
ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 11:45 AM   #9
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS A6
I kept my original p zero tires for 6 years, and in the winter the car sat for 6 months on a concrete floor. I did nothing to protect the tires.

There was never any significant flat spotting, at least nothing that would last more than a couple of hundred yards on the first drive in the Spring. So I think something else is going on. It could even be the road surface. Do you always go down the same road in the morning?
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 01:16 PM   #10
SquawkVFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
I kept my original p zero tires for 6 years, and in the winter the car sat for 6 months on a concrete floor. I did nothing to protect the tires.

There was never any significant flat spotting, at least nothing that would last more than a couple of hundred yards on the first drive in the Spring. So I think something else is going on. It could even be the road surface. Do you always go down the same road in the morning?
The time of time of day doesn’t seem relevant. I do go down the same road, I live in the country so the surface changes about six times over the course of the vibration. *light bulb*. As I’m typing this...

I take the same route home. The last intersection before home there’s ALWAYS a bit of gravel accumulation at the stop sign. Between there and my house is a short distance, very low speed which mean I might be picking up a piece of gravel in the tread and not throwing it off until I leave the next time I drive.

Ok that sounds stupid. No way a piece of gravel is doing that.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:09 AM   #11
SquawkVFR

Iím gonna guess by everyoneís sudden silence I rode this ride off the rails.
Old 10-27-2017, 03:00 PM   #12
LsxDoctor

Drives: 2010 ss
There have been quite a few threads on this same issue. My car does the same thing. I have been to 2 local dealerships and 2 shops and nobody can figure out what the sound is. In the other threads from what I've read, they were unable to determine the issue. On a G8 forum there was a similar issue with their cars and I think it ended up being the front strut/s.
LsxDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 05:22 PM   #13
SquawkVFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LsxDoctor View Post
There have been quite a few threads on this same issue. My car does the same thing. I have been to 2 local dealerships and 2 shops and nobody can figure out what the sound is. In the other threads from what I've read, they were unable to determine the issue. On a G8 forum there was a similar issue with their cars and I think it ended up being the front strut/s.

Iíll keep an eye out for that too.