Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Gen5DIY
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Camaro 1LE Forum Camaro 1LE Package releated discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2014, 12:42 AM   #1
Nathan Moreno


 
Nathan Moreno's Avatar
 
Drives: G5.R
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,968
2014 Carbon Fiber hood with raised cowl?

Hey guys, we are replicating the following parts in carbon.

Here's a partial list. All these pieces will be available in 4 months.
  1. rear view mirrors
  2. ZL1 front splitter
  3. ZL1 Fog light pods
  4. ZL1 Engine cover
  5. Replacement roof panel
  6. 2014 hood
  7. 2014 hood vent
  8. 2014 trunk
  9. We are also looking to replicate the Z/28 aero package.
We are not planning on doing the SS/ILE rear spoiler as we imaging most guys will want the Z/28 rear spoiler instead.



It's been brought to our attention that 2014 owners with blowers are running into hood clearance issues. Wanted to see how many of you guys would be interested in a carbon fiber 2014 hood with a raised cowl. Also, how many additional inches would solve the problem.

Thanks for the feed back.
Nathan Moreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:12 PM   #2
Egon
 
Egon's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Join Date: May 2013
Location: San Diego
Posts: 396
I have been planning on a supercharger install within the next year or so and was very disappointed to hear that the stock hood would not clear the Whipple or Magnuson as I wanted to keep the exterior of the car as stock looking as humanly possible. Most aftermarket hoods with extra scoops and vents are not my style so I would love to have something on the market that is very close to stock looking but gives a bit more clearance for a blower. It is my understanding that the stock heat extractor is what is causing clearance issues and that it may be possible to redesign it to provide enough clearance for the hood to close, but I can-not say since my future plans are on hold until satisfactory alternatives to the stock hood/heat extractor become available. I would be very interested in what you have to offer since this could kill 2 birds with one stone so to speak, a hood that clears a blower install and something that is easier to keep clean than the matte black hood wrap. In addition I would love the way the carbon fiber would look. I will definitely be following your progress on this, thanks for letting us know.
Egon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:10 PM   #3
tw78911sc
 
tw78911sc's Avatar
 
Drives: 14 1SS Camaro 1LE, NPP, Recaros
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NC
Posts: 633
Please consider adding an adjustable wicker bill kit for the Z28 spoiler. Either different size blades or adjustable hgt blade. Thx
tw78911sc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:13 PM   #4
AG1LE

 
AG1LE's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 RRM 2SS/RS/1LE
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,523


Time to start saving up...
AG1LE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:13 AM   #5
Nathan Moreno


 
Nathan Moreno's Avatar
 
Drives: G5.R
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egon View Post
I have been planning on a supercharger install within the next year or so and was very disappointed to hear that the stock hood would not clear the Whipple or Magnuson as I wanted to keep the exterior of the car as stock looking as humanly possible. Most aftermarket hoods with extra scoops and vents are not my style so I would love to have something on the market that is very close to stock looking but gives a bit more clearance for a blower. It is my understanding that the stock heat extractor is what is causing clearance issues and that it may be possible to redesign it to provide enough clearance for the hood to close, but I can-not say since my future plans are on hold until satisfactory alternatives to the stock hood/heat extractor become available. I would be very interested in what you have to offer since this could kill 2 birds with one stone so to speak, a hood that clears a blower install and something that is easier to keep clean than the matte black hood wrap. In addition I would love the way the carbon fiber would look. I will definitely be following your progress on this, thanks for letting us know.
Great....... we will keep you posted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw78911sc View Post
Please consider adding an adjustable wicker bill kit for the Z28 spoiler. Either different size blades or adjustable hgt blade. Thx
As soon as we get the GM version, we will definitely do it with the wicker blade as we want the same-thing for our project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMWNERW View Post


Time to start saving up...
Start fast, LOL

Here is the updated list of the parts we are making molds for:

  1. Side rear view mirrors
  2. ZL1 front splitter
  3. ZL1 Fog light pods
  4. ZL1 Engine cover
  5. 2014 ZL1 rear spoiler
  6. 2014 1LE splitter
  7. Replacement roof panel
  8. 2010-13 Cowl hood
  9. 2014 hood
  10. 2014 hood vent
  11. 2014 trunk
  12. 2014 ZL1 splitter
  13. 2014 ZL1 rear spoiler (this part is not available yet from GM, so we need to wait)
  14. 2014 1LE front splitter
  15. We are also looking to replicate the Z/28 aero package. ie; splitter, flares, rockers, diffuser, rear spoiler
Let me know if you guys would like us to add anything else.
Nathan Moreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:41 AM   #6
Wilsonation
 
Wilsonation's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 1SS 1LE
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Jeannette, PA
Posts: 485
Maybe a cf grill for the 2014 camaros? Upper and lower of course.
__________________
2014 1SS 1LE:
10/9/13 Ordered
10/16/13 Queued
10/28/13 TPW
11/2/13 Built and Bayed
11/7/13 Shipped
11/14/13 Brought home!
Wilsonation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:34 PM   #7
Broke Pilot
 
Drives: '14 1SS 1LE,'68 Chevelle,'70 Vette
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Conroe/Sugarland, TX
Posts: 217
Yes, please make something to replace the horrible looking upper and lower grilles in the 1LE. It's the only spot I'm disappointed in my car. It looks like the lower grille was an after-thought on GM's part lol
__________________
Overkill is underrated....
Broke Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:38 PM   #8
Wilsonation
 
Wilsonation's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 1SS 1LE
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Jeannette, PA
Posts: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broke Pilot View Post
Yes, please make something to replace the horrible looking upper and lower grilles in the 1LE. It's the only spot I'm disappointed in my car. It looks like the lower grille was an after-thought on GM's part lol

Couldn't agree more.
__________________
2014 1SS 1LE:
10/9/13 Ordered
10/16/13 Queued
10/28/13 TPW
11/2/13 Built and Bayed
11/7/13 Shipped
11/14/13 Brought home!
Wilsonation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:49 PM   #9
Wilsonation
 
Wilsonation's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 1SS 1LE
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Jeannette, PA
Posts: 485
I think it would be really cool to have a carbon fiber grill for the camaro. Especially with a c.f. Spoiler and splitter.
__________________
2014 1SS 1LE:
10/9/13 Ordered
10/16/13 Queued
10/28/13 TPW
11/2/13 Built and Bayed
11/7/13 Shipped
11/14/13 Brought home!
Wilsonation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:14 PM   #10
SSTG

 
SSTG's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Z51 Corvette
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ofallon, Mo.
Posts: 5,554
I would love to have the Z/28 upper Grill and some sort of Mesh grill for the lower.
__________________
SSTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:31 PM   #11
Wilsonation
 
Wilsonation's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 1SS 1LE
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Jeannette, PA
Posts: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTG View Post
I would love to have the Z/28 upper Grill and some sort of Mesh grill for the lower.

x2! Especially include the Chevy emblem that doesn't have anything in the center like on the Z/28. Just the chrome surround. That'd be badass.
__________________
2014 1SS 1LE:
10/9/13 Ordered
10/16/13 Queued
10/28/13 TPW
11/2/13 Built and Bayed
11/7/13 Shipped
11/14/13 Brought home!
Wilsonation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:07 AM   #12
Broke Pilot
 
Drives: '14 1SS 1LE,'68 Chevelle,'70 Vette
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Conroe/Sugarland, TX
Posts: 217
^^^ agreed...
__________________
Overkill is underrated....
Broke Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:29 AM   #13
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28
 
Dropspeed's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Suburbs of Detroit, MI
Posts: 1,604
Are you making the CF parts or having them made by someone?

Thanks
Matt

EDIT: just saw the link at the bottom and see it is Seibon.
__________________
Dropspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:01 AM   #14
Nathan Moreno


 
Nathan Moreno's Avatar
 
Drives: G5.R
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilsonation View Post
Maybe a cf grill for the 2014 camaros? Upper and lower of course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilsonation View Post
Couldn't agree more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilsonation View Post
I think it would be really cool to have a carbon fiber grill for the camaro. Especially with a c.f. Spoiler and splitter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilsonation View Post
x2! Especially include the Chevy emblem that doesn't have anything in the center like on the Z/28. Just the chrome surround. That'd be badass.

WOW , your more carbon crazzzzzzy than we are, LOL
Nathan Moreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:03 AM   #15
Nathan Moreno


 
Nathan Moreno's Avatar
 
Drives: G5.R
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilsonation View Post
Maybe a cf grill for the 2014 camaros? Upper and lower of course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilsonation View Post
Couldn't agree more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilsonation View Post
I think it would be really cool to have a carbon fiber grill for the camaro. Especially with a c.f. Spoiler and splitter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilsonation View Post
x2! Especially include the Chevy emblem that doesn't have anything in the center like on the Z/28. Just the chrome surround. That'd be badass.

WOW , your more carbon crazzzzzzy than we are, LOL

Here is a little teaser of our project to hold you over, LOL

Name:  a.jpg
Views: 1487
Size:  134.1 KB
Nathan Moreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:33 AM   #16
Wilsonation
 
Wilsonation's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 1SS 1LE
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Jeannette, PA
Posts: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Moreno View Post
WOW , your more carbon crazzzzzzy than we are, LOL

Here is a little teaser of our project to hold you over, LOL

Attachment 595983

Hahahaha. Hey man, what can I say? It looks good.

I'm definitely sticking to my guns on a carbon grill... Or a mesh Z/28 replica.
__________________
2014 1SS 1LE:
10/9/13 Ordered
10/16/13 Queued
10/28/13 TPW
11/2/13 Built and Bayed
11/7/13 Shipped
11/14/13 Brought home!
Wilsonation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:04 AM   #17
Nathan Moreno


 
Nathan Moreno's Avatar
 
Drives: G5.R
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilsonation View Post
Hahahaha. Hey man, what can I say? It looks good.

I'm definitely sticking to my guns on a carbon grill... Or a mesh Z/28 replica.
I agree with you! I looked at the grill today and it definitely needs to get replaced. I think the Z/28 grill would be a great option.

We went to the dealer to pick up the hood in order to make the mold and unfortunately it was damaged. We are going to get another one.

Name:  009.jpg
Views: 1400
Size:  102.8 KB

I really like the underside structure. Should make for a really cool hood.

Name:  011.jpg
Views: 1417
Size:  181.4 KB

Last edited by Nathan Moreno; 02-02-2014 at 01:29 AM.
Nathan Moreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:06 AM   #18
Bad@ssCamaro
Rogers' Rocks :-)
 
Bad@ssCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Western MA
Posts: 5,153
This will sound stupid but, what is the or how will the carbon roof replacement work on the coupe? Does this require special modification to the roof? Is this a replacement for the headliner?
__________________
Former Camaros: (gone but not forgotten)
1976 LT Black/Black 305 V8 (Bone Stock)
1976 LT Black/White 305 V8 (Bone Stock) except for Cragar chrome rims (yep - #2)
1985 Z-28 Black/Black 305 L69 M5(Bone Stock) I know: slow

Current Camaro:
CRT 1SS/1LE/RS/Recaro's/NPP/Nav/Rear vision pkg./BA speaker upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
CAFE STANDARDS! Get used to them or vote our electeds in Washington out of office...........
Bad@ssCamaro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:08 PM   #19
Wilsonation
 
Wilsonation's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 1SS 1LE
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Jeannette, PA
Posts: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad@ssCamaro View Post
This will sound stupid but, what is the or how will the carbon roof replacement work on the coupe? Does this require special modification to the roof? Is this a replacement for the headliner?

x2. I had the same questions but didn't wanna be the one to ask... lol!
__________________
2014 1SS 1LE:
10/9/13 Ordered
10/16/13 Queued
10/28/13 TPW
11/2/13 Built and Bayed
11/7/13 Shipped
11/14/13 Brought home!
Wilsonation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:07 PM   #20
Bad@ssCamaro
Rogers' Rocks :-)
 
Bad@ssCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Western MA
Posts: 5,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilsonation View Post
x2. I had the same questions but didn't wanna be the one to ask... lol!
__________________
Former Camaros: (gone but not forgotten)
1976 LT Black/Black 305 V8 (Bone Stock)
1976 LT Black/White 305 V8 (Bone Stock) except for Cragar chrome rims (yep - #2)
1985 Z-28 Black/Black 305 L69 M5(Bone Stock) I know: slow

Current Camaro:
CRT 1SS/1LE/RS/Recaro's/NPP/Nav/Rear vision pkg./BA speaker upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
CAFE STANDARDS! Get used to them or vote our electeds in Washington out of office...........
Bad@ssCamaro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 06:05 PM   #21
Nathan Moreno


 
Nathan Moreno's Avatar
 
Drives: G5.R
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad@ssCamaro View Post
This will sound stupid but, what is the or how will the carbon roof replacement work on the coupe? Does this require special modification to the roof? Is this a replacement for the headliner?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilsonation View Post
x2. I had the same questions but didn't wanna be the one to ask... lol!
Hey guys theres no stupid questions, we all start some where. Go look at some of my first post two years ago if you want a laugh!

This is an M# having the roof replace with a carbon piece. Your basically doing the same thing the OEM do when they offer a carbon roof as an option.

You would drill out the spot weld and use adhesive like the OEM.

Name:  img_5757.jpg
Views: 1407
Size:  243.3 KB

Use an epoxy to bond the new roof

Name:  img_5777.jpg
Views: 1322
Size:  211.5 KB

Secure with bolts.

Name:  img_5784.jpg
Views: 1283
Size:  254.8 KB

Done.

Name:  img_5789.jpg
Views: 1283
Size:  232.7 KB

We are doing it for weight saving as were looking to drop every ounce we can. Take a look at our build thread if your not familiar with it.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285800

And

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188393

As an example, the M3 aluminum roof weighs 24lbs, while the carbon roof panel for the same car weighs 9.8lbs.

Our roofs are steel which are 40% heavier than aluminum. For the sunroof cars, the mechanism itself should account for an additional ~40lbs weight savings.

We are planning on also doing an inlay which would bond to the existing roof for the guys that are going for the cool factor. It will be a more economical option.

Just to give an idea, on FR-S' inlay goes for about $800. A carbon replacement goes for $1,200 and a "dry carbon" replacement is $2,000.
Nathan Moreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 06:48 PM   #22
SSTG

 
SSTG's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Z51 Corvette
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ofallon, Mo.
Posts: 5,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Moreno View Post
Hey guys theres no stupid questions, we all start some where. Go look at some of my first post two years ago if you want a laugh!

This is an M# having the roof replace with a carbon piece. Your basically doing the same thing the OEM do when they offer a carbon roof as an option.

You would drill out the spot weld and use adhesive like the OEM.



Use an epoxy to bond the new roof



Secure with bolts.



Done.



We are doing it for weight saving as were looking to drop every ounce we can. Take a look at our build thread if your not familiar with it.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285800

And

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188393

As an example, the M3 aluminum roof weighs 24lbs, while the carbon roof panel for the same car weighs 9.8lbs.

Our roofs are steel which are 40% heavier than aluminum. For the sunroof cars, the mechanism itself should account for an additional ~40lbs weight savings.

We are planning on also doing an inlay which would bond to the existing roof for the guys that are going for the cool factor. It will be a more economical option.

Just to give an idea, on FR-S' inlay goes for about $800. A carbon replacement goes for $1,200 and a "dry carbon" replacement is $2,000.
What is the difference between Carbon Replacement and Dry Carbon Replacement?
__________________
SSTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:34 PM   #23
AG1LE

 
AG1LE's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 RRM 2SS/RS/1LE
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,523
That CF roof may be a good chance for me to get rid of my sunroof, shed some pounds, and add some headspace....
AG1LE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:49 AM   #24
Nathan Moreno


 
Nathan Moreno's Avatar
 
Drives: G5.R
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTG View Post
What is the difference between Carbon Replacement and Dry Carbon Replacement?
Here's a good answer: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...6000543AAwk6pW


Quote:
Originally Posted by JMWNERW View Post
That CF roof may be a good chance for me to get rid of my sunroof, shed some pounds, and add some headspace....

Not kidding, I guesstimating about 64 plus lbs! Plus you have the killer look.
Nathan Moreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:23 PM   #25
Ir0nM4n


 
Ir0nM4n's Avatar
 
Drives: 14 1LE
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Washington
Posts: 2,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Moreno View Post
Here's a good answer: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...6000543AAwk6pW





Not kidding, I guesstimating about 64 plus lbs! Plus you have the killer look.
Wait WHAT, I could replace my SUN ROOF with this Carbon Fiber ROOF???? That and a Carbon Fiber hood would be outstanding... OH GOD.... Time to save!!!
__________________
Ir0nM4n is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.