Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Cold Air Inductions
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons For all LFX related parts

Old 02-02-2014, 03:50 PM   #1
blackswan

Drives: Yes
Loud metallic rattle, worse when cold and in reverse - take a listen

Always tough to convey a sound, but wondering if anyone else has this noise.

From inside it sounds like a muffled rattle around and under the shifter. However, with a recorder outside the car is sounds like a very loud metallic rattle.

It's worse when ice cold (first start of day) but on occasion you can hear it when in reverse backing up a hill or on moderate acceleration in drive from a dead stop. So load seems to matter, does not do it at all in N.

Take a listen and share your thoughts, it's very loud (though apparently not loud enough for a dealer mechanic to hear of course - ).
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: zip RattleFromOutside.zip (571.5 KB, 144 views)
blackswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 04:26 PM   #2
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 2013 2LT RS Camaro
Well I can tell you that's not normal.....

Sure sounds like something is lose...

Almost like a heat shield or exhaust part.
Performance Upgrades: CAI Intake, VMAX Ported Throttle Body, RX Catch Can, MRT 2.0 Exhaust w/ Magnaflow X Pipe & custom J-Pipes, 1LE Strut Brace, SS Brembo Brakes w/ Hawk HPS Pads & Goodridge brake lines, 1LE Suspension Upgrade, 1" Eibach lowering springs.
Exterior Upgrades: Ceramic Tint 30%, Axis Allies rims 20x9(front) 20x10(rear), Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperCar G:2 Tries 285 (front) x 305 (rear), ACS T-5 Front Splitter, Oracle Lighted Rear Bowtie, rk sport spoiler.
Audio Upgrades: Image Dynamics 10" Subwoofer w/custom leather box, ID 5 Channel Amp, Audio Control LC 6, Morel 6.5" Coax Speakers
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:56 AM   #3
wutshotDJroomba

Drives: 2012 Camaro LS/SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
Well I can tell you that's not normal.....

Sure sounds like something is lose...

Almost like a heat shield or exhaust part.
Agreed. I once had a similar wicked rattle under my car only when in Drive stopped, or when slowly accelerating. I slid under the car with a rubber mallet and lightly tapped on the pipes until I finally found out that one of my axle-back exhaust bolts had come loose. Crazy to think something near the back could resinate all the way towards the front, but that's the exhaust system for you. Even if you don't have an aftermarket exhaust like mine there's still a chance it could be a heat shield or just a loose clamp/bolt/etc. as Kaboom1701 stated... It's worth it to get under there and take a look before you bite the bullet and finally decide to take it in.
"....Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.”
-Bruce Lee
wutshotDJroomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:12 AM   #4
blackswan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutshotDJroomba View Post
Agreed. I once had a similar wicked rattle under my car only when in Drive stopped, or when slowly accelerating. I slid under the car with a rubber mallet and lightly tapped on the pipes until I finally found out that one of my axle-back exhaust bolts had come loose. Crazy to think something near the back could resinate all the way towards the front, but that's the exhaust system for you. Even if you don't have an aftermarket exhaust like mine there's still a chance it could be a heat shield or just a loose clamp/bolt/etc. as Kaboom1701 stated... It's worth it to get under there and take a look before you bite the bullet and finally decide to take it in.
Great ideas, thanks guys. Yeah, I know it's not normal - pretty loud! It's actually been into the dealer, they replaced the catalytic on one side - twice. No idea why they don't think it might be the other one now.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:33 PM   #5
skibik

Drives: bbbbbb
Either the cats are bad again and they should replace both not just one side as it maybe the other side. Not sure exactly what is inside the resonators but could be a baffle come loose if there is one in there. Sound transmits through the car and it may also be a loose baffle from inside the muffler. Sounds like a trip back to the dealer to me.

Dean.
skibik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:53 PM   #6
wutshotDJroomba

Drives: 2012 Camaro LS/SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibik View Post
Either the cats are bad again and they should replace both not just one side as it maybe the other side. Not sure exactly what is inside the resonators but could be a baffle come loose if there is one in there. Sound transmits through the car and it may also be a loose baffle from inside the muffler. Sounds like a trip back to the dealer to me.

Dean.
I've had a cat converter replaced twice, first the driver's side, then the passenger a few months later rattled. It's quite a problematic part on this car, well at least on mine it appears to be. I don't believe they're exactly built to last what with the constant amount of heat applied, so it eventually weakens, but mine hasn't given me an issue since replacement. There is also the long shot that something wasn't tightened enough after it was removed and replaced and now it's rattling. Seems like detective work is order, as Skibik said the sound will transmit throughout so check the entire system, heat shields included if you're able to and keep us posted if you can.
"....Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.”
-Bruce Lee
wutshotDJroomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:28 AM   #7
blackswan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutshotDJroomba View Post
I've had a cat converter replaced twice, first the driver's side, then the passenger a few months later rattled. It's quite a problematic part on this car, well at least on mine it appears to be. I don't believe they're exactly built to last what with the constant amount of heat applied, so it eventually weakens, but mine hasn't given me an issue since replacement. There is also the long shot that something wasn't tightened enough after it was removed and replaced and now it's rattling. Seems like detective work is order, as Skibik said the sound will transmit throughout so check the entire system, heat shields included if you're able to and keep us posted if you can.
Yes going to a different dealer who may have sufficient diagnostic skills to actually fix it.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:19 PM   #8
Vai

Drives: In the process of buying a Cam
I have this same issue in my car. Going to take it in Saturday and hopefully they will be able to pin point the issue and fix it...very annoying
Vai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:52 AM   #9
blackswan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vai View Post
I have this same issue in my car. Going to take it in Saturday and hopefully they will be able to pin point the issue and fix it...very annoying
What did they say?
Old 03-16-2014, 09:02 PM   #10
blackswan

Unbelievably, or maybe it is believable, the dealer left my tranny a quart low and that's what the noise was, NOT a catalytic converter. Frustrating as I brought it in right after the tranny flush saying it sounds like he transmission. Nope, they knew better and became pretty rude when I kept coming back with the same noise. Told me if there was no "light on the dash" there is no tranny problem. Really.

Took an awesome dealer to figure it out in about 5 minutes upon hearing this noise, that the other dealer said is nothing or couldn't hear it.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:09 PM   #11
RobertRS

Drives: 2014 2SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackswan View Post
Unbelievably, or maybe it is believable, the dealer left my tranny a quart low and that's what the noise was, NOT a catalytic converter. Frustrating as I brought it in right after the tranny flush saying it sounds like he transmission. Nope, they knew better and became pretty rude when I kept coming back with the same noise. Told me if there was no "light on the dash" there is no tranny problem. Really.

Took an awesome dealer to figure it out in about 5 minutes upon hearing this noise, that the other dealer said is nothing or couldn't hear it.

Wow! Glad to hear you got that ironed out. At least you know who you won't be taking it back to in the future.
RobertRS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:19 PM   #12
blackswan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertRS View Post
Wow! Glad to hear you got that ironed out. At least you know who you won't be taking it back to in the future.
Totally, real sad treatment and waste of GMs dollars. They even claimed they did pressure tests in the tranny and checked fluid levels, etc. when I brought it back insisting it was the tranny. At least I didn't have out of pockets expenses for that "work", but did pay a couple hundred for the flush. Nice eh?
Old 03-16-2014, 09:51 PM   #13
6bangerBOOM

Drives: it like he stole it
I believe I've seen a few people report that they found rocks caught up in their crossmember that were the cause.
6bangerBOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:39 AM   #14
blackswan

Well, that wasn't this noise though, see above. Dealer botched tranny flush.