Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

SDPC
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 08-03-2015, 09:38 PM   #1
RichCamaro10

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Tremec TR-6060 Grind When Put Into Reverse

When I got to 40K miles on my 2010 Camaro SS with a Tremec TR-6060 Six Speed, I noticed that when the transmission is hot and I try to back into a parking space, I grind when engaging reverse. I have no issues taking it back out of gear and putting it back in or when the transmission is cold. This only happens the first time I stop and try to put the car in reverse after I have been driving for a bit.

When I search online, I only see references to a 1 - 2 grind but all 6 of my drive gears are smooth. Reverse is my only issue and it only started happening recently.

My guess is that since I have 40K miles on the stock fluid that its time to change. I plan on putting Red Line fluid in both my transmission and rear end since I have used it in the past on my other cars with great results.

Has anyone else experienced this Reverse grind with their six speed?

Last edited by RichCamaro10; 08-03-2015 at 10:08 PM.
RichCamaro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:44 PM   #2
MightymouseSS

Drives: 2011 LS3
Not reverse but 1st to 2nd gear yes.
SLP loudmouth 2
Nightfury Cam
Mike Norris CC
Tuned by Southwest Speed
MightymouseSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 10:35 AM   #3
USMUCL

Drives: 2014 Red Camaro 1SS 1LE
If it only happens when hot, I think you are on the right track with trying the fluid first. Logically, it would seem possible that your current fluid is breaking down when it gets hot.You might even want to try MTL or a MTL/D4 mix. This will make the fluid just a hair thicker while keeping all the normal protections, and some on this site have reported great results.
USMUCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 08:39 PM   #4
RichCamaro10

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Ok, I was able to reproduce the reverse grind and i'm pretty sure that everything is working as expected unless the TR-6060 is supposed to have a reverse syncro.

I can reproduce the reverse grind with the car stopped and the engine on with the car in neutral and my foot off of the clutch. If I press the clutch and go strait into reverse from that point I get the grind. If start over and go into any other forward gear prior to going into reverse then everything is fine.

I think that this makes sense because with the car in neutral and the clutch being engaged (foot off the pedal), the input/counter shafts on the transmission are still spinning at the same RPM as the engine. Before you can put the transmission into reverse, you need to stop the input/counter shafts and you can do that in one of two ways. Wait for the input/counter shafts to spool down or stop them with a syncro from a forward gear.

Does this make sense?