Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

autoguy
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 05-17-2011, 12:43 AM   #375
Weezerj

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS -- 02 Escalade
ok, now the $37 question....

Will the ZL1 have separate reservoir or will this mod need to be done on this car as well?
Weezerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:02 PM   #376
flht99b

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RJT
If the ZL1 doesn't come with a separate clutch reservoir, 2SSRS, TC or I can tell GM how to do it and why
Ed M.
RJT 2SS/RS, AAM 3.70's, MTI Sway Bars, Shifter & SS brake lines, ZLI calipers & rotors, BMR Trailing & Toe Arms, full rear cradle & diff bushings, Pedders XA's, Camber/Toe eccentrics, Radius arm inserts, ZL1 Brembo Brake pads, GTO clutch reservoir, LS9 cam, Comp Cam valve springs, Melling 10296 oil pump, CR 5 timing chain, LS2 damper, CAI Cold Air Induction, ARH LT headers w/HF cats, GMPP touring axle back, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Forgeline 20x9.5 & 20x11 DS3 wheels w/Vredestein 275/40/20 & 315/35/20 tires, '11 Convertible spoiler, Lloyd "SS" Floor Mats, GM Camaro Trunk Mat

Last edited by flht99b; 05-18-2011 at 06:47 AM. Reason: spelling error, more info
flht99b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 04:12 PM   #377
SSZYLN

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS
Got my reservoir yesterday, thanks 2SS/RS! Will be installing shortly, pics will follow!
SSZYLN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:33 PM   #378
stikSS
9691 & 97586

Drives: '10 Camaro SS and 2LT
I just installed my reservoir.... very simple and I went the zip tie route as well.

I wish I would've read this thread again before I ordered.... I didn't know 2SSRS was selling them.... I went through GMpartsdirect and won't make that mistake again.

Anyway, I haven't noticed any difference as far as feel or driving??... maybe I will tomorrow.

Sent from my EVO 4G
stikSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:30 PM   #379
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by stikSS View Post
I just installed my reservoir.... very simple and I went the zip tie route as well.

I wish I would've read this thread again before I ordered.... I didn't know 2SSRS was selling them.... I went through GMpartsdirect and won't make that mistake again.

Anyway, I haven't noticed any difference as far as feel or driving??... maybe I will tomorrow.

Sent from my EVO 4G
There is no difference as far as feel or driving. This is just going to allow you to keep your fluid clean which will prevent it from things like the clutch sticking to the floor.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:22 AM   #380
flht99b

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
There is no difference as far as feel or driving. This is just going to allow you to keep your fluid clean which will prevent it from things like the clutch sticking to the floor.
Actually, the clutch feel is different in that the feel remains the same through all temperatures and over long usage.
Ed M.
RJT 2SS/RS, AAM 3.70's, MTI Sway Bars, Shifter & SS brake lines, ZLI calipers & rotors, BMR Trailing & Toe Arms, full rear cradle & diff bushings, Pedders XA's, Camber/Toe eccentrics, Radius arm inserts, ZL1 Brembo Brake pads, GTO clutch reservoir, LS9 cam, Comp Cam valve springs, Melling 10296 oil pump, CR 5 timing chain, LS2 damper, CAI Cold Air Induction, ARH LT headers w/HF cats, GMPP touring axle back, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Forgeline 20x9.5 & 20x11 DS3 wheels w/Vredestein 275/40/20 & 315/35/20 tires, '11 Convertible spoiler, Lloyd "SS" Floor Mats, GM Camaro Trunk Mat
Old 05-26-2011, 07:41 AM   #381
stikSS
9691 & 97586

Our temps have soared the last few days to almost 100 degrees and I have noticed a difference in the feel from the heat, so it does feel more prominent vs a sponge like feeling now. I drove it this morn and it felt a little different than in the past...

It is a great mod and very simple to say the least.... now we'll have to see if it makes a difference on the track. I've had my clutch stick one time and that was it. If it reduces the chances of that or stops it completely... then its well worth the time to install. Great job on this thread and mod guys!
Old 05-27-2011, 05:45 AM   #382
cybergrayls3

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ss/rs..m6..CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stikSS View Post
Our temps have soared the last few days to almost 100 degrees and I have noticed a difference in the feel from the heat, so it does feel more prominent vs a sponge like feeling now. I drove it this morn and it felt a little different than in the past...

It is a great mod and very simple to say the least.... now we'll have to see if it makes a difference on the track. I've had my clutch stick one time and that was it. If it reduces the chances of that or stops it completely... then its well worth the time to install. Great job on this thread and mod guys!
Hey man...I'm also in NC and have noticed that these past few days its been hot as Hell that my clutch feels a little spongy after its been sitting outside baking in the sun...the other day my clutch pedal only came up about 3/4 of the way...I had to pull it up with my foot...now this has only happened once but maybe I should do this mod anyways..
cybergrayls3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:29 AM   #383
flht99b

Separating the clutch and brake reservoir not only benefits the clutch hydraulic system but also the brake system. Clutch dust gets into the fluid from the clutch slave unit mounted inside the bell housing. The clutch dust eventually finds it's way into the entire brake and clutch hydraulic system due to the shared reservoir. Also, the heat from the clutch and bell housing area gets absorbed by the clutch slave unit and it's fluid, eventually raising the temperature of both hydraulic systems. Separating the 2 systems reservoirs stops this heat and clutch dust contamination. I don't want dirty clutch hydraulic fluid BUT I really don't want dirty brake fluid, I want all the brake efficiency I can get. I cannot understand why GM didn't do this from the start. Another big improvement is to flush all the DOT 3 fluid from both the clutch and brake systems and install a quality, higher temperature DOT4 product such as ATE, Motul, etc.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:06 PM   #384
stikSS
9691 & 97586

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybergrayls3 View Post
Hey man...I'm also in NC and have noticed that these past few days its been hot as Hell that my clutch feels a little spongy after its been sitting outside baking in the sun...the other day my clutch pedal only came up about 3/4 of the way...I had to pull it up with my foot...now this has only happened once but maybe I should do this mod anyways..
Now that I've driven it for a few days, I can tell a difference in the way the clutch feels and responds. I had to do alot of starting and stopping the other day while I was having my tune adjusted, and no problems at all.... I actually rode the clutch at 3k rpm once to see what would happen and nothing!! which is great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flht99b View Post
Separating the clutch and brake reservoir not only benefits the clutch hydraulic system but also the brake system. Clutch dust gets into the fluid from the clutch slave unit mounted inside the bell housing. The clutch dust eventually finds it's way into the entire brake and clutch hydraulic system due to the shared reservoir. Also, the heat from the clutch and bell housing area gets absorbed by the clutch slave unit and it's fluid, eventually raising the temperature of both hydraulic systems. Separating the 2 systems reservoirs stops this heat and clutch dust contamination. I don't want dirty clutch hydraulic fluid BUT I really don't want dirty brake fluid, I want all the brake efficiency I can get. I cannot understand why GM didn't do this from the start. Another big improvement is to flush all the DOT 3 fluid from both the clutch and brake systems and install a quality, higher temperature DOT4 product such as ATE, Motul, etc.
I'm in the process of doing just that... I'm gonna pull out whats dirty now and replace it with new DOT 4. I guess it'll take some time to do this but it should payoff soon.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:42 AM   #385
2010CAMAROJ

Drives: 2006 HHR LT, 2010 2SS/RS IOM
New Reservoir Installed

Here are some pics of a bracket with the reservoir installed that a friend made up for me last night. It was late when installed so here are some pics of just the bracket and I will post pics later after work of it installed. I got 15" of 3/8" hose from a local hydraulic supplier, the end cap from NAPA and had some small clamps laying around and filled with Prestone Dot4 synthetic. The install took very little time, about 1 hour total, but now looks like GM actually meant for it to be there. I've had my clutch stick to the floor too many times, so this was a must mod. Hopefully time will tell, but from the replies it looks like this is the correct way to fix the problem!
Attached Images

Old 06-08-2011, 11:46 AM   #386
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Nice looking bracket!

Someone needs to make a kit with bracket, resivoir, plugs, etc.

I'm still surprised that more people aren't doing this. I know there are a good handfull of people here that have done it but of all the M6 I've seen locally, I'm the only one that's done it. I show people all the time but the instrest just doesn't seem to be there. Oh well.....their loss not mine.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:59 AM   #387
2010CAMAROJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Nice looking bracket!

Someone needs to make a kit with bracket, resivoir, plugs, etc.

I'm still surprised that more people aren't doing this. I know there are a good handfull of people here that have done it but of all the M6 I've seen locally, I'm the only one that's done it. I show people all the time but the instrest just doesn't seem to be there. Oh well.....their loss not mine.
Thanks. I told my friend he should, he said if there was enough interest he would be willing to do the bracket separately or have a kit. Like you said if the interest isn't there than its their loss.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:24 AM   #388
2010CAMAROJ

Installed Pics

Here are a few pics of the separate reservoir installed with a separate bracket!! Let me know if anyone would be interested in the bracket or a kit as I have someone who is willing to help out the community!
Attached Images

Old 06-09-2011, 08:44 AM   #389
justa25thTA

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010CAMAROJ View Post
Here are a few pics of the separate reservoir installed with a separate bracket!! Let me know if anyone would be interested in the bracket or a kit as I have someone who is willing to help out the community!

Going to do something similar (in fact I made that bracket), but I don't want to change out the brake hose, so I am going to remake the bracket, make it long enough to put a 90 bend in it and re-use the stock hose.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:50 AM   #390
TC

Drives: 2010 VR 2SS-RS
That bracket looks very familiar!

I made a bracket that was longer with a bend in it (more like 55 degrees) but really didn't like the way it looked and decided one my second design. It looks much cleaner, the one with a bend really stood out as something you added.

Any royalties for my design? J/K Good luck with it, I didn't see where they could be made cost-effectively or at least for a price people would be willing to pay. My feed back said $20-$30 is about all you could get. I'd have more that that into it for the powder coated bracket and accessories.
TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 04:48 PM   #391
Orange Krate
Not just any car!

Drives: Orange Krate DOB - 11/22/2010
Has anyone tried making one of these brackets with a piece of stainless? May be overkill for strength but it could be a nice polished piece. Stainless hardware and bolts are a good thing around anything that has brake fluid.
Orange Krate is offline   Reply With Quote