Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

HRE Wheels
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Camaro 1LE Forum Camaro 1LE Package releated discussions

Old 02-09-2014, 08:20 PM   #1
Ir0nM4n

Drives: 14 1LE
2014 1LE Hood Insert

When tracking the car would you remove the underside of the insert for better air flow??? Since I think the only reason it is there is to redirect rain water.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:28 PM   #2
Green Machine
Always Workin

Drives: 2014 1SS 1LE
I could probably take mine off permanently since it probably won't see rain to much lol. Unless I'm caught in rain traveling to some Camaro shows over the summer.

I'd like to know what others think about the better air flow too.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:38 PM   #3
karnov

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I took mine off a couple weeks after I got it and haven't put it back on. The only reason it's there is for water diversion.

The only reason I see for leaving it on is if you don't garage it or have to park it somewhere where it might get rained on.
karnov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:40 PM   #4
JMWNERW

Drives: '14 RRM 2SS/RS/1LE
Electrical connections in the engine bay are waterproof, right? What is the real risk of leaving it off, even if it does rain?
JMWNERW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:41 PM   #5
Green Machine
Always Workin

Drives: 2014 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by karnov View Post
I took mine off a couple weeks after I got it and haven't put it back on. The only reason it's there is for water diversion
Looks like that may be the first thing I do when I uncover the car lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMWNERW View Post
Electrical connections in the engine bay are waterproof, right? What is the real risk of leaving it off, even if it does rain?
Get the engine dirty? Cold/cooler water on a hot engine?
Old 02-09-2014, 10:33 PM   #6
Nutro

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Machine View Post
Looks like that may be the first thing I do when I uncover the car lol.

Get the engine dirty? Cold/cooler water on a hot engine?
Maybe if it's parked. I don't run the drain and have driven in some pretty hefty rainfall and it barely got a few drops on the motor or blower.
2011 L99 W/ Kooks Long Tubes, Ported TB, Roto-Fab CAI, Apex Catch can, Stainless Works 3" ZL-1 Catback, Overdriven Maggie @10 Pounds boost putting down 501/535 on a conservative tune. Oh and Forgestar 20's
Nutro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:09 AM   #7
Ir0nM4n

Where I live it rains or drizzles this time of year. I notice at speed that the vent on the hood helps engine temps with the cover on. I am thinking with it off that must be a rather large boost of air through the engine bay.
I guess one way to find out is to just do it. This will happen once the sun is out. I guess this is not just for 1LE's as the 2014 SS has the same set up... Curious if the Z/28 will even have the deflector installed.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:59 PM   #8
karnov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ir0nM4n View Post
Where I live it rains or drizzles this time of year. I notice at speed that the vent on the hood helps engine temps with the cover on. I am thinking with it off that must be a rather large boost of air through the engine bay.
I guess one way to find out is to just do it. This will happen once the sun is out. I guess this is not just for 1LE's as the 2014 SS has the same set up... Curious if the Z/28 will even have the deflector installed.
The Z/28 does not have it, in fact I believe the Z/28 only has a partial part of the hood liner. The purpose of the vent on the 2014 hood is additional downforce. With the cover off the air moved more freely so I am assuming you get more downforce with it off as opposed to having it on?

I am guessing this is why the Z/28 doesn't have it, so it can have the added downforce.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:52 PM   #9
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by karnov View Post
The Z/28 does not have it, in fact I believe the Z/28 only has a partial part of the hood liner. The purpose of the vent on the 2014 hood is additional downforce. With the cover off the air moved more freely so I am assuming you get more downforce with it off as opposed to having it on?

I am guessing this is why the Z/28 doesn't have it, so it can have the added downforce.
The Z/28 absolutely has the hood vent:

And it's more about lift than downforce. Without the vent, underhood air pressure lifts the front end. By providing a way for that pressure to exit, the front of the car lifts less. By adding the giant front splitter, it then produces (some) downforce.
Billy10mm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:59 PM   #10
JMWNERW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ir0nM4n View Post
I guess this is not just for 1LE's as the 2014 SS has the same set up...
The 1LE is an SS

I agree with a previous post, its more about reducing up force than providing down force.

Anyone know why it would be "bad" to leave the tray off always (other than engine bay getting dirty?)?
Old 02-10-2014, 09:31 PM   #11
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMWNERW View Post
The 1LE is an SS

I agree with a previous post, its more about reducing up force than providing down force.

Anyone know why it would be "bad" to leave the tray off always (other than engine bay getting dirty?)?
No real reason it would be bad except for the mess, but why? The opening provided is enough to relieve the underhood pressure. Remember, this isn't about large volumes of air, we aren't talking about feeding the radiator here. This is just a small opening that allows air pressure a place to escape to.
Billy10mm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:36 PM   #12
JMWNERW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy10mm View Post
No real reason it would be bad except for the mess, but why? The opening provided is enough to relieve the underhood pressure. Remember, this isn't about large volumes of air, we aren't talking about feeding the radiator here. This is just a small opening that allows air pressure a place to escape to.
Maybe it is "enough" I don't know...but I can see how removing the tray would draw a lot more heat out of the engine bay, and reduce the up force even more.

All of this probably only matters on the track, and the tray is easy to remove for track day, and put back on after.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:30 AM   #13
AGM 1LE

Drives: '14 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy10mm View Post
The Z/28 absolutely has the hood vent:

And it's more about lift than downforce. Without the vent, underhood air pressure lifts the front end. By providing a way for that pressure to exit, the front of the car lifts less. By adding the giant front splitter, it then produces (some) downforce.
It has the vent but not the water drip tray like on an SS. thats what he was referring to, not that it dosent have the vent.
AGM 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:44 AM   #14
karnov

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGM 1LE View Post
It has the vent but not the water drip tray like on an SS. thats what he was referring to, not that it dosent have the vent.
Yes, exactly what I was referring to, thanks.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:26 AM   #15
Schluney

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE
I think the only danger would be getting caught in traffic or leaving it parked durning a downpour once you get up to speed not much water will get in.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:15 AM   #16
JMWNERW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schluney View Post
I think the only danger would be getting caught in traffic or leaving it parked durning a downpour once you get up to speed not much water will get in.
Why is it a danger?
Old 02-11-2014, 12:22 PM   #17
Schluney

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE
I shouldn't have used that word I should have said problem that's my bad.... But it could cause problems None that would be major but enough water could easily kill a coil pack or premature rust on your factory exhaust manifolds...I don't plan on driving my car in the rain but if I get caught at the mall or something I don't want a big hole in my hood right on top of my Intake
Old 02-11-2014, 07:09 PM   #18
Ir0nM4n

For me, it will come off during lap days at the track. The put back for daily driving, though I wonder about purchasing additional rivet things... As far as daily driving and the like I will leave it as is.