Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Dyno Max
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2014, 04:07 PM   #1
Kelly@PCMofNC

 
Drives: 2010 RS/SS
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 799
L99 Stealthy PCM of NC Cam & Heads picks up 88rwhp

Lots of talk about lopey cams here in this section - but they're not for everyone! This customer wanted something on the stealthy side, and also to keep his stock torque converter. His final request was to make sure it would work well with his future plans - which include a Whipple.

Our "Crazy Joe" cam turned out to fit the bill perfectly. That's a 215/247, .60x/.62x, @ .050", with a 119+2 LSA. Barely any lope -



Since we pulled the heads to delete DOD, we sent them off to Advanced Induction for his 280cc porting & polishing job. We were very happy with the results and so was the customer!





I've got to get some more updated pics of this car - we also lowered it with some Hotchkis springs and are installing pillar pod gauges, it looks awesome!
__________________

See what's in our shop on Facebook! Customer Build Blogs!
www.pcmofnc.com
Performance Parts & Installs - Dyno Tuning - Mail Order Tuning
704-307-4227
Kelly@PCMofNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 04:20 PM   #2
grocerygetter
instigator
 
grocerygetter's Avatar
 
Drives: Black on black 2009 C6
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: 72034
Posts: 3,973
I just have to comment...it's nice to see another shop that can show before/after dyno comparisons these days. keeps folks from getting hung up on a number. they SHOULD be getting hung up on a gain. Question though...why is the torque HP cross in the wrong spot?
__________________
-John S.

2014 GMC CC Z71, 2009 C6 vette (57x/53x at the wheel and less than 3300lbs)
2010 Camaro 2ss/rs---SOLD 4/15/14
-654whp with a few cosmetic things, Pfadt suspension, Vortech, CircleD, GPI ss3 vvt bump stick, gears, stuff in between,18" TSW N'rings for drag duty, 20" Forgestar F14s for street.

Thanks to:
Tony@ dv8motoring
rhino@ Gwatney Chevrolet/GPI Jacksonville AR
TCAudio in Benton AR
grocerygetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 04:39 PM   #3
Kelly@PCMofNC

 
Drives: 2010 RS/SS
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by grocerygetter View Post
I just have to comment...it's nice to see another shop that can show before/after dyno comparisons these days. keeps folks from getting hung up on a number. they SHOULD be getting hung up on a gain. Question though...why is the torque HP cross in the wrong spot?
The scaling is different on one side vs the other, they do actually cross at 5250.
__________________

See what's in our shop on Facebook! Customer Build Blogs!
www.pcmofnc.com
Performance Parts & Installs - Dyno Tuning - Mail Order Tuning
704-307-4227
Kelly@PCMofNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:09 PM   #4
snizzle
Recalled user
 
snizzle's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 2SS MT 45th AE
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly@PCMofNC View Post

I've got to get some more updated pics of this car - we also lowered it with some Hotchkis springs and are installing pillar pod gauges, it looks awesome!
I'd like to see the gauges. What hardware are you using?
__________________

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:31 PM   #5
Nutro


 
Nutro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 3,273
How about something like this with a Maggie and a little less LSA for a little more lope?
__________________
2011 L99 W/ Kooks Long Tubes, Ported TB, Roto-Fab CAI, Apex Catch can, Stainless Works 3" ZL-1 Catback, Overdriven Maggie @10 Pounds boost putting down 501/535 on a conservative tune. Oh and Forgestar 20's
Nutro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:39 PM   #6
grocerygetter
instigator
 
grocerygetter's Avatar
 
Drives: Black on black 2009 C6
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: 72034
Posts: 3,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly@PCMofNC View Post
The scaling is different on one side vs the other, they do actually cross at 5250.
so you ran out of power and stopped the pull just after 6k?
__________________
-John S.

2014 GMC CC Z71, 2009 C6 vette (57x/53x at the wheel and less than 3300lbs)
2010 Camaro 2ss/rs---SOLD 4/15/14
-654whp with a few cosmetic things, Pfadt suspension, Vortech, CircleD, GPI ss3 vvt bump stick, gears, stuff in between,18" TSW N'rings for drag duty, 20" Forgestar F14s for street.

Thanks to:
Tony@ dv8motoring
rhino@ Gwatney Chevrolet/GPI Jacksonville AR
TCAudio in Benton AR
grocerygetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:32 PM   #7
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper
 
Kyle2k's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Grand Forks, ND
Posts: 3,250
What intake is that? Don't think I have seen it before.
__________________
Kyle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:47 PM   #8
B-_-RAD
Banned
 
Drives: ...
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: ...
Posts: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle2k View Post
What intake is that? Don't think I have seen it before.
Looks like k&n blackhawk
B-_-RAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:53 AM   #9
shiznight
 
Drives: 2010 camaro ss l99
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: oklahoma city
Posts: 191
wow got my car beat by 17hp and actually got what i wanted from the start...stock stall, more hp, and people assuming the car was stockish. good on ya
__________________
vvt1 cam, pacesetter headers, xpipe, knn intake 417/422. 100 shot 513/574. v6 brake swap, v6 wheels (trolling dumbdumbs), gto wheels nt05rs, gto spares as skinnies up front. 12.02@120.6 (2.08 60ft) o2 working it's way out of the bung half track.
shiznight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:55 AM   #10
Alvin@PCMofNC

 
Drives: 2010 IOM RSS
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mooresville
Posts: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by grocerygetter View Post
so you ran out of power and stopped the pull just after 6k?
The pull with the camshaft goes to 6500 + I'm not sure I'm understanding your question.
__________________

See what's in our shop on Facebook! Customer Build Blogs!
www.pcmofnc.com
Performance Installs - Dyno Tuning - Mail Order Tuning & Sales
704-307-4227
Alvin@PCMofNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:08 AM   #11
Kelly@PCMofNC

 
Drives: 2010 RS/SS
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
I'd like to see the gauges. What hardware are you using?
We used Autometer GT Series gauges. It's our first set like that (the face type) - the customer picked them out. I was a little skeptical at first but once I got the gauges in, they look awesome!! I'll have pics of them installed shortly, but here's what they look like,

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/atm-8063

We are doing an Autometer dual pillar pod, and the SLP one also that mounts over the steering column.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutro View Post
How about something like this with a Maggie and a little less LSA for a little more lope?
Yep, got that too! That would be our "LS3/L99 The Force" cam. Build blog/dyno sheet here - 2010 Camaro TVS 2300 "The Force" Cam. This vid is in an LS3 car,




Quote:
Originally Posted by shiznight View Post
wow got my car beat by 17hp and actually got what i wanted from the start...stock stall, more hp, and people assuming the car was stockish. good on ya
Thanks for your comments! We try to meet every customer's goals. This customer only wanted 437 rwhp (yes, that exact number haha) so we beat his goal by a bit, still perfect driveability and quiet sound.
__________________

See what's in our shop on Facebook! Customer Build Blogs!
www.pcmofnc.com
Performance Parts & Installs - Dyno Tuning - Mail Order Tuning
704-307-4227
Kelly@PCMofNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:20 AM   #12
grocerygetter
instigator
 
grocerygetter's Avatar
 
Drives: Black on black 2009 C6
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: 72034
Posts: 3,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin@PCMofNC View Post
The pull with the camshaft goes to 6500 + I'm not sure I'm understanding your question.
the cross is supposed to be at 5250...the dyno chart is bogus if the pull went to 6500...if you slide the graph to the left it shows you got out of it a hair over 6k. Maybe its tuned that way per cam spec...and thats fine. Just trying to debunk the dyno chart since there is an error.
I don't think you would bogus the graph...I just think, like you said, it needs to be slid to the left.
__________________
-John S.

2014 GMC CC Z71, 2009 C6 vette (57x/53x at the wheel and less than 3300lbs)
2010 Camaro 2ss/rs---SOLD 4/15/14
-654whp with a few cosmetic things, Pfadt suspension, Vortech, CircleD, GPI ss3 vvt bump stick, gears, stuff in between,18" TSW N'rings for drag duty, 20" Forgestar F14s for street.

Thanks to:
Tony@ dv8motoring
rhino@ Gwatney Chevrolet/GPI Jacksonville AR
TCAudio in Benton AR
grocerygetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:15 PM   #13
Kelly@PCMofNC

 
Drives: 2010 RS/SS
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by grocerygetter View Post
the cross is supposed to be at 5250...the dyno chart is bogus if the pull went to 6500...if you slide the graph to the left it shows you got out of it a hair over 6k. Maybe its tuned that way per cam spec...and thats fine. Just trying to debunk the dyno chart since there is an error.
I don't think you would bogus the graph...I just think, like you said, it needs to be slid to the left.
I made the scaling the same on both sides for you.

__________________

See what's in our shop on Facebook! Customer Build Blogs!
www.pcmofnc.com
Performance Parts & Installs - Dyno Tuning - Mail Order Tuning
704-307-4227
Kelly@PCMofNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:46 PM   #14
BFASTNOTLAST
 
BFASTNOTLAST's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 SS
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Huntersville NC
Posts: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly@PCMofNC View Post
I made the scaling the same on both sides for you.


Seems like there are more skeptics than enthusiasts on this forum lately, one of the main draw backs to this site... I will say there are some crazy claims that are made from time to time, but everything that PCM has put out performance wise has been more than reasonable and yet it's not good enough. There are more than a handful of cam only dyno graphs over 500RWHP and there is no bashing there. This thread is about a very mellow, mild stealth set up minus setting the world on fire and we have an automatic flag flying..... In the end, I guess if your shop's name is'nt Lethal or LG you are open game for the typical skeptic. I give credit to PCM for their dedication to both drivability and power. At the end of the day I want to get in my car and have the best of both worlds, PCM does a great job of giving the customer exactly that. Kudos to Alvin and Kelly for a great product. This is my $.02 / opinion take it for what it's worth.

A little less bashing and more positive data will make this site a better forum.

BFASTNOTLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:27 PM   #15
grocerygetter
instigator
 
grocerygetter's Avatar
 
Drives: Black on black 2009 C6
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: 72034
Posts: 3,973
I never once bashed...actually I was quite positive. I just found an error, Alvin proofread it. Looking out for folks that may not know what to look for.
__________________
-John S.

2014 GMC CC Z71, 2009 C6 vette (57x/53x at the wheel and less than 3300lbs)
2010 Camaro 2ss/rs---SOLD 4/15/14
-654whp with a few cosmetic things, Pfadt suspension, Vortech, CircleD, GPI ss3 vvt bump stick, gears, stuff in between,18" TSW N'rings for drag duty, 20" Forgestar F14s for street.

Thanks to:
Tony@ dv8motoring
rhino@ Gwatney Chevrolet/GPI Jacksonville AR
TCAudio in Benton AR
grocerygetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:18 PM   #16
BFASTNOTLAST
 
BFASTNOTLAST's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 SS
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Huntersville NC
Posts: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by grocerygetter View Post
I never once bashed...actually I was quite positive. I just found an error, Alvin proofread it. Looking out for folks that may not know what to look for.
It's all in the presentation of a statement...... The word bogus didn't sound positive in any way. let's move on and appreciate what PCM has accomplished.
BFASTNOTLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:19 PM   #17
ADM PERFORMANCE

 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 #138
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: DfW - Texas
Posts: 3,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFASTNOTLAST View Post
Seems like there are more skeptics than enthusiasts on this forum lately, one of the main draw backs to this site... I will say there are some crazy claims that are made from time to time, but everything that PCM has put out performance wise has been more than reasonable and yet it's not good enough. There are more than a handful of cam only dyno graphs over 500RWHP and there is no bashing there. This thread is about a very mellow, mild stealth set up minus setting the world on fire and we have an automatic flag flying..... In the end, I guess if your shop's name is'nt Lethal or LG you are open game for the typical skeptic. I give credit to PCM for their dedication to both drivability and power. At the end of the day I want to get in my car and have the best of both worlds, PCM does a great job of giving the customer exactly that. Kudos to Alvin and Kelly for a great product. This is my $.02 / opinion take it for what it's worth.

A little less bashing and more positive data will make this site a better forum.

Amen brother

“The unhappiest people in this world, are those who care the most about what other people think.”
ADM PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:04 PM   #18
Kelly@PCMofNC

 
Drives: 2010 RS/SS
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 799
Finally got a couple updated pics of this car! We added a set of Hotchkis lowering springs & strut tower brace.





We also added some gauges. Yes, that is a boost gauge on an N/A car...it will be Whipple charged shortly!

__________________

See what's in our shop on Facebook! Customer Build Blogs!
www.pcmofnc.com
Performance Parts & Installs - Dyno Tuning - Mail Order Tuning
704-307-4227
Kelly@PCMofNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 03:29 PM   #19
SPCBA
Blake
 
SPCBA's Avatar
 
Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: a VA line somwhere
Posts: 3,707
Nice gain for a baby cam AND heads. Cool car overall
__________________
SPCBA is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.