Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

River City Camaro Customs
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions External and Internal cosmetics modifications.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:07 AM   #1
Joe@NightOwlLEDs
"Night it Up!"

Drives: 2011 SS Convertible
NightOwl RGB Scanner Controller

We have been asked a hundred times if our system works with RGB scanner strips. There are several types of scanner strips out there,
so we pulled one apart and within a few minutes we hooked it up to one of our versatile SL Modules. The types of scanner strip that this works with has 11
wires running between the controller and the scanner strip. These are very common on ebay.

We prototyped this up using one of our versatile SL Modules and two of our Aux Drivers.

Even though this will work with an SL Module and two Aux Drivers, we're planning to create a module just for this purpose. We should be able to get the cost way down
and make the controller much smaller than an SL Module. We'll also make it so that you can unplug the strip from the controller that it came with, and
plug it right into our new controller.

Here are the questions everyone will want to know:
Will this work with my Oracle mailslot scanner? The answer is: only if it is one of the 11-wire type. Their latest one uses 2 wires I believe. We could probably
interface with this one in the future as well. I believe that their older one was different than either of these two.

Do you sell these scanner strips? We may make a large purchase of these in order to be a convenience to our customers. These strips are very inexpensive on ebay.

Will this work with my NightOwl RGB Halos and my other lighting? Absolutely. All of our products work together as one system. The remote control is probably already in
your pocket (your smartphone/tablet or touch device.)

Old 02-16-2014, 09:28 AM   #2
ALLTRBO

Drives: 2012 1SS M6
Awesome!

Last edited by ALLTRBO; 02-16-2014 at 12:23 PM.
ALLTRBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:42 AM   #3
jhiiidoc

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS SLP Supercharged
Joe has been emailing me on how this works using the SL module and the aux drivers...can't wait to see the scanner module we just have to plug in. I'm tempted to go ahead and try it and switch over once the new module surfaces.

Any plans on an early bird group buy to gauge interest? Or have all the inquiries given you what you need to go forward with production?
jhiiidoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:21 PM   #4
Joe@NightOwlLEDs
"Night it Up!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhiiidoc View Post
Joe has been emailing me on how this works using the SL module and the aux drivers...can't wait to see the scanner module we just have to plug in. I'm tempted to go ahead and try it and switch over once the new module surfaces.

Any plans on an early bird group buy to gauge interest? Or have all the inquiries given you what you need to go forward with production?
We are going ahead with a few pre-production units for final testing, as we feel the amount of work required is fairly low. The interest indicated in this thread will determine if we actually produce these. If there is enough interest indicated, then we'll open a pre-production "group buy". We could have production units ready by CFest if enough people jump in.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:02 PM   #5
954camaro

Drives: Camaro SS/RS inferno red interior
another great product from you Joe! I would love to see this matched with my hood vents and everything else! Also do you think that you maybe might do a pre-bent version for people who want to put it strip in the mail slot?
VMAX TB, Borla Catback Exhaust, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Racing scoop,ZL1 grille, Nightowl JDP upgrade halo kit, interior lights, abl dash light pipes, VIS ams hood,Pfadt ZL-Spec sway bars, TSW Nurburgring F:20x9 R:20x10, Nitto Invo F:275/45 R:315/35, Spohn trailing arms, Toe rods, pfadt rear subframe bushing, ridetech level 2 coilovers, 3.91 GM differential, BMR diff bushings....more to follow
954camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:54 PM   #6
Joe@NightOwlLEDs
"Night it Up!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954camaro View Post
another great product from you Joe! I would love to see this matched with my hood vents and everything else! Also do you think that you maybe might do a pre-bent version for people who want to put it strip in the mail slot?
We just starting looking at what it would take. The circuit board could be cut from the front almost all the way through, but making sure not to cut through the traces on the back side. Then the channel would have to be mitered, reassembled, epoxied to retain structural integrity, and new clear heat shrink tubing put over the top. But even then, to use these in the mail slot, both ends would have to be cut in the bumper because they would be slightly too long. I'm not a fan of cutting the bumper. Maybe start with one of the other mailslot scanners that fit well, and see if we can gain control of it.

We have some visions for a very nice mailslot scanner. We just haven't had time to work on it. Getting these to work took almost no time.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:08 PM   #7
layzurguy
Ride On!!!!

Drives: 2012 SS Ragtop
Old 02-16-2014, 05:28 PM   #8
KalCorp
Space Coast Camaros

Drives: 2012 Camaro Vert
Nice :-).
KalCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:41 PM   #9
bee sting

Drives: 1997 30th Ann. Z28 & 2010 2LT RS
Very nice . Subscribed
bee sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:25 PM   #10
LnLSS
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2012 45th 2SS/RS
Subscribed.
Forgestar F14s, Vredestein Ultrac Vorti, DBA Series Gold Hat XS Drilled and Slotted Rotors , Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Springs, Hawk Performance Ceramic Pads, Magna Flow cat back exhaust, CAI Cold Air, Painted Heritage Grill, Ducted Street scene lower grill, Technostalgia LED Tail Lights, Lite-Right LED All in One Harness and 5k DRLs, Diode Dynamics cup holder and foot well lights, Oracle mail slot scanner, Wheel well lights, Emblem Pros lighted under hood bowtie, Billet interior and engine bay upgrades, Ghost Armor, Lloyd's interior and trunk carpet
LnLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:04 PM   #11
layzurguy
Ride On!!!!

OK, someone please come up with the underbody scanner kit!!!!
Old 02-17-2014, 09:58 PM   #12
NC-V

Drives: cts-v
This is good news. Please let me know when they are available. I have a car in the shop right now that needs one!
NC-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:05 PM   #13
jgray1978

Drives: '12 2SS/RS 45th vert, '14 2SS/RS
Ok...You've got my attention. How can I incorporate one of these scanners into a ZL1 front end?
jgray1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:45 PM   #14
layzurguy
Ride On!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC-V View Post
This is good news. Please let me know when they are available. I have a car in the shop right now that needs one!
Common, you couldn't figure it out on your own!!??
Old 02-18-2014, 08:33 AM   #15
jhiiidoc

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS SLP Supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by layzurguy View Post
If the new module works out, you'll be able to connect a couple of the existing 22" bars to the module. I imagine a module allowing four connections is possible, but would definitely drive the cost up...
jhiiidoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:34 PM   #16
NC-V

Drives: cts-v
Quote:
Originally Posted by layzurguy View Post
Setup a chase sequence all the way around the car? You could really fool some cats (and probably some people too! lol) with that!
NC-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:44 PM   #17
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray ZL1
Joe- you know I've been waiting for this! If you need a beta tester, count me in! I have a dual scanner from AAC and would love to pair it with my NightOwl system! It still uses a single connection point to the control box, so I imagine it should work? I even have a couple extra scanner bars in my drawer since I broke the connector off the end. Would there be a way to wire those in?

And if you had a batch of these done before C5Fest, I promise you won't need to solder anything under my car this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray1978 View Post
Ok...You've got my attention. How can I incorporate one of these scanners into a ZL1 front end?
Here is my ZL1 with dual scanners. PM me if you want some info on it!

Old 02-18-2014, 03:32 PM   #18
Joe@NightOwlLEDs
"Night it Up!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deke736 View Post
Joe- you know I've been waiting for this! If you need a beta tester, count me in! I have a dual scanner from AAC and would love to pair it with my NightOwl system! It still uses a single connection point to the control box, so I imagine it should work? I even have a couple extra scanner bars in my drawer since I broke the connector off the end. Would there be a way to wire those in?

And if you had a batch of these done before C5Fest, I promise you won't need to solder anything under my car this year!
Hey Matt! There are a lot of different scanner strips out there, and I imagine that they are all controlled differently. So I'm not sure if we're going to be able to tackle any of the other ones. I had a couple of the ebay ones (11-wire), and literally within 10 minutes had them working (limited) with our system. The other ones would take some time to reverse-engineer and figure out if there is anything we can do with them. But I don't have any of the others to take apart. Just look at AAC's scanner product page...there are 8 different ones (probably only a couple are controlled identically.)
Old 02-18-2014, 04:07 PM   #19
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe@NightOwlLEDs View Post
Hey Matt! There are a lot of different scanner strips out there, and I imagine that they are all controlled differently. So I'm not sure if we're going to be able to tackle any of the other ones. I had a couple of the ebay ones (11-wire), and literally within 10 minutes had them working (limited) with our system. The other ones would take some time to reverse-engineer and figure out if there is anything we can do with them. But I don't have any of the others to take apart. Just look at AAC's scanner product page...there are 8 different ones (probably only a couple are controlled identically.)
The good news is that I can tell you that the dual scanner setup I have uses a single 11-wire connection to the controller just like you show in the video. The dual bars connect to each other using a "Y" type harness that brings the 2 bars together. From what I can tell, the 2 single bars in the dual kit act just like each half of the longer singe bar in their mailslot kit. I have a spare dual scanner setup that I could send you to play with if you want. I broke the connector off the end so I can't use it with AAC's control box anyway. Let me know if you want it to test and I'll drop it in the mail to you.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:41 AM   #20
ka1

Drives: 2011 2SS
Holy crap. I just ordered a new scanner a few minutes ago. Not sure of the connection though.

I would much rather buy from you Joe.
ka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 04:01 PM   #21
chetkan
Haters gonna hate!!!

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Synergy Green
Any updates on this?????
chetkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 04:50 PM   #22
Joe@NightOwlLEDs
"Night it Up!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetkan View Post
Any updates on this?????
Hey Chet,

We'll be building a pre-production prototype this week. Maybe later in the week we'll be able to get a better sense of when we should have these available.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:57 PM   #23
Joe@NightOwlLEDs
"Night it Up!"

Actually, I read back through the past several posts and realized that I haven't posted our latest findings. With the kindness of Deke736 of him sending us some AAC scanner strips, we found that the ones that they sell have a slightly smaller connector. Even though they are 11-wire, the connector is a lot smaller than the ones easily found on ebay. The original controllers looked very similar between the two types. So what we did was modified our controller board to work with either size connector, and then we'll just sell both types. We'll provide guidelines on how to measure the ones you have.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:59 PM   #24
chetkan
Haters gonna hate!!!

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Synergy Green
Thanks for the update. Great customer service!!!
chetkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:28 PM   #25
Joe@NightOwlLEDs
"Night it Up!"

An update is long overdue. We have found that there are a lot of variations with these strips. Some use different connectors, and even those that use the same connectors, sometimes they are wired in the opposite order. We've been trying to figure out how/if we can work with all of these variations. Until we have a good solution, we've put full focus back on our android app.