Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
BORLA
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2014, 12:12 AM   #15
1LE801
 
1LE801's Avatar
 
Drives: 14 White 2SS 1LE RS
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerspeed92 View Post
I have a personal working relationship with me service manager as well,in fact he is supposed to come ride with my at my Fontana track day in May,but if GM wants a snapshot of he cars computer i thought there was no way to hide it"
This is true but they can NOT legally just revoke the entire warranty for a tune having been done. If they can tie it to the problem, I'm probably going to pay the bill. Don't get me wrong, there's definitely some risk involved. But the risk is much smaller than the reward IMO.
1LE801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:17 AM   #16
Msmall143

 
Msmall143's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: NOVA
Posts: 1,721
You guys are right. Many dealerships overlook mods including a tune. It's not until a major failure takes place which requires an expensive repair such as new tranny or engine replacement. Basically the issue comes up when the dealership needs to provide a snapshot of the ecu for gm to approve the repairs, when that happens it won't matter what your relationship is with your dealership.

You don't hear about it often because
1) people don't want to post publically "I was an idiot and voided my warranty and now it's costing me 1ok out of pocket"
2) good tuners = good tune = well running car = no major failures
3) these cars are proven, you don't hear of many major failures.

If you tune your warranty is "technically" gone. Just like doing 65 mph in a 60 mph zone is "technically" breaking the law. Just like cops overlook 65 in a 60, many dealerships overlook a tune when minor issues need fixed. But go 120 mph in that 60 mph zone....that's like a blown engine and your gonna get some more attention! No what I mean?
Msmall143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:21 AM   #17
1LE801
 
1LE801's Avatar
 
Drives: 14 White 2SS 1LE RS
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmall143 View Post
You guys are right. Many dealerships overlook mods including a tune. It's not until a major failure takes place which requires an expensive repair such as new tranny or engine replacement. Basically the issue comes up when the dealership needs to provide a snapshot of the ecu for gm to approve the repairs, when that happens it won't matter what your relationship is with your dealership.

You don't hear about it often because
1) people don't want to post publically "I was an idiot and voided my warranty and now it's costing me 1ok out of pocket"
2) good tuners = good tune = well running car = no major failures
3) these cars are proven, you don't hear of many major failures.

If you tune your warranty is "technically" gone. Just like doing 65 mph in a 60 mph zone is "technically" breaking the law. Just like cops overlook 65 in a 60, many dealerships overlook a tune when minor issues need fixed. But go 120 mph in that 60 mph zone....that's like a blown engine and your gonna get some more attention! No what I mean?
could one just re flash the ecu when a problem arises ?
1LE801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:24 AM   #18
Msmall143

 
Msmall143's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: NOVA
Posts: 1,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LE801 View Post
This is true but they can NOT legally just revoke the entire warranty for a tune having been done. If they can tie it to the problem, I'm probably going to pay the bill. Don't get me wrong, there's definitely some risk involved. But the risk is much smaller than the reward IMO.
Wrong, they absolutely can. The tune is the brain and controls everything. All they have to say is "you made more power, so shit broke".
Attached Images
 
Msmall143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:25 AM   #19
Msmall143

 
Msmall143's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: NOVA
Posts: 1,721
Page 2
Attached Images
 
Msmall143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:26 AM   #20
Msmall143

 
Msmall143's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: NOVA
Posts: 1,721
Page 3
Attached Images
 
Msmall143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:26 AM   #21
Msmall143

 
Msmall143's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: NOVA
Posts: 1,721
4
Attached Images
 
Msmall143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:30 AM   #22
1LE801
 
1LE801's Avatar
 
Drives: 14 White 2SS 1LE RS
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 275
Could one just re flash to stock programming if a problem arises?
1LE801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:31 AM   #23
Msmall143

 
Msmall143's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: NOVA
Posts: 1,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LE801 View Post
could one just re flash the ecu when a problem arises ?
You can flash back to stock but the history of it being alters is still there. there is a counter. There just isn't a way around it or we'd all be doing it.

When they look to see if you've tuned they aren't looking at the actual tune. They are comparing a few numbers that should match. Once they don't match it's evident you've done something
Msmall143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:34 AM   #24
1LE801
 
1LE801's Avatar
 
Drives: 14 White 2SS 1LE RS
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmall143 View Post
You can flash back to stock but the history of it being alters is still there. there is a counter. There just isn't a way around it or we'd all be doing it.

When they look to see if you've tuned they aren't looking at the actual tune. They are comparing a few numbers that should match. Once they don't match it's evident you've done something
Good to know. I ain't scared
1LE801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:35 AM   #25
toehead93


 
Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: wpb fl
Posts: 3,101
I thought the diablo and SCT tuners were able to overcome the counter.
__________________
Used Racing Brake 2 Peice Rotors for sale:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=344754

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:44 AM   #26
honor first
MURICA!
 
honor first's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: RGV, Texas
Posts: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
I thought the diablo and SCT tuners were able to overcome the counter.
more info?
__________________
Pro Amore Patriae
God gave three gifts to man; dogs, women, and the LS motor.
2014 Camaro 2SS 6MT RS 1LE Black on Black
AFE Intake, Stainless Power Headers + HFC, BadlanzHPE Electric Cutouts. 315/275 Nittos, Wheels. Debadged, Cosmetic Mods, Sound System, More
honor first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:17 AM   #27
toehead93


 
Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: wpb fl
Posts: 3,101
I went back and looked again, itlooks like they have backed off that claim now.
__________________
Used Racing Brake 2 Peice Rotors for sale:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=344754

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:38 AM   #28
Southern Comfort
No Tags/Habitual Violator
 
Southern Comfort's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 ABM/LT/RS & z71
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 2,341
Nice numbers.
Dont sweat the Warranty Worriers raining on your parade. Your tune came from a quality shop. It's done. And now you are free to worry about your next round of mods
Southern Comfort is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.