Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2009, 09:11 PM   #1
tcslc
 
Drives: '10 SS 6MT, '07 GT500, '08 ACR
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 42
Ain't complaining - well, maybe just a little about the slow SS

Ok - no complaints as I'm lucky enough to own a '07 GT500, an '08 Viper ACR (1 of 4 in color, 1 of 1 in options), and the '10 Camaro SS 6MT. By far, the SS is the slowest of the bunch, the GT500 is the most streetable (dual clutch is sweet!), and the Viper is the hairy-chested, kick-ass beast by a mile.

My last 400-hp range car I owned was an '07 SRT8 Superbee, which felt slow off the line with the automatic but would catch up quick. Prior to that I owned an '04 Cobra 'Vert, and I beat the the heck out of it from day 1 and it was always super fast from stock. Anyway, the point - or complaint - is where are we losing these 426 ponies in the Camaro that is just doesn't feel that fast? I hoping it's rear gears, which is an easy swap, but am interested in what the community says about how to get 'em back on par without dropping an extra $10k to do it.
tcslc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:23 AM   #2
Zeus
BOOOOOM MF'R!!
 
Zeus's Avatar
 
Drives: to Chipotle daily
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Flo-Rida
Posts: 3,614
Good question. Most likely the weight and poor gears.


I got one for you: How does your GT500 have a Dual Clutch?
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:03 AM   #3
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM
 
Xmicro_SS's Avatar
 
Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 2,877
How many miles do you have?

I have read many posts on here about the car "coming alive" after 1500 - 3000 mile break in. I have also read similar on a Corvette forum in the past.
__________________
ITS HERE! : 2010 Camaro 2SS / 6 Speed Manual (No other way) / Silver Ice Metallic / Inferno Orange Interior Accent / RS Package / Polished Wheels / SOLO MACH X CAT BACK
Xmicro_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:50 AM   #4
Red Hot SS
 
Red Hot SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Victory Red 2SS/RS M6
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Prince George, VA/Lexington, KY
Posts: 586
Viper ACR= 600HP beast of a supercar
GT 500= Supercharged $50,000 car
Camaro SS= $34,000 machine

Why are you comparing these?
__________________
Virginians Join Group: Virginia is for (Camaro) Lovers!

VIN: 2G1FT1EW8A9118043
Finally Home! (6/16)
Red Hot SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:56 AM   #5
tcslc
 
Drives: '10 SS 6MT, '07 GT500, '08 ACR
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 42
The GT500 has a dual-plate ceramic-coated clutch system. It offers more surface area than a single disc system, and less intertia to get it all spinning, which results in the engine coming up faster, and easier engagement. It takes some getting used to going between the two cars (GT500 and Camaro, which uses a single-disc system).

I'm just breaking in the Camaro, with only about 260 miles on the clock. You're right that it just might wake up past break-in. Guess I'll have to do some driving
tcslc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:16 AM   #6
chicagojoe16
 
chicagojoe16's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kalamazoo
Posts: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hot SS View Post
Viper ACR= 600HP beast of a supercar
GT 500= Supercharged $50,000 car
Camaro SS= $34,000 machine

Why are you comparing these?
Agreed, why don't you just compare it to the Veyron while you're at it.
__________________
Imperial Blue SS
chicagojoe16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:28 AM   #7
CAM75
 
Drives: 2SS/RS
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcslc View Post
The GT500 has a dual-plate ceramic-coated clutch system. It offers more surface area than a single disc system, and less intertia to get it all spinning, which results in the engine coming up faster, and easier engagement. It takes some getting used to going between the two cars (GT500 and Camaro, which uses a single-disc system).

I always understood that the double clutch (dual plate) just provided better engagement and less clutch slippage when you were pushing more power. I don't see how it would have anything to do with inertia or the engine coming up faster.
CAM75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:54 AM   #8
tcslc
 
Drives: '10 SS 6MT, '07 GT500, '08 ACR
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojoe16 View Post
Agreed, why don't you just compare it to the Veyron while you're at it.
I'm only comparing the cars that I own, or have owned - just happens to be what I have. Ok - the Viper ACR may not be a fair comparison, as it is a barely street legal race car that you have to pay attention to all the time when driving. However, the GT500 and Camaro are a little closer - in price anyway - as my Camaro listed for a touch over $40k.

Anyway, the closest comparison may that of my '07 SRT8 Superbee and '04 Mustang Cobra (both of which I no longer own). The Camaro definitely feels faster than the Superbee did off the line - I don't know how they'd match up on a slow roll as the Superbee would launch poorly and then go like a bat out of hell from 20+MPH on. I think I'll give this one to the Camaro. The '04 Mustang - supercharged 4.6 with 400 factory rated horsepower - just plain seemed to haul ass. Looking back on specs, it's listed as a 12.9 1/4 mile car vs the Camaro which seems to be somewhere around mid-13s (understanding that Camaro data is still coming in).

I'll wait until break-in is complete, but am starting to wonder what - short of adding a supercharger - can be done with a few bucks (say a ceiling of $2k) to bring up performance of the SS and shave 5 or 6 tenths off the car.
tcslc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:59 AM   #9
GTengineer
 
GTengineer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2004 Z06
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Yorktown, VA
Posts: 192
shhhh don't mention the "W" word around here.
__________________
2004 Corvette Z06
1996 Camaro 3.8L (M5)
GTengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:05 AM   #10
DarrenJ
 
DarrenJ's Avatar
 
Drives: '67 Camaro ZZ4 & 2010 IOM 2SS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Real World USA
Posts: 582
Exhaust, CAI and a tune will get you what you're looking for in the money range you are expecting.






Quote:
Originally Posted by tcslc View Post
I'm only comparing the cars that I own, or have owned - just happens to be what I have. Ok - the Viper ACR may not be a fair comparison, as it is a barely street legal race car that you have to pay attention to all the time when driving. However, the GT500 and Camaro are a little closer - in price anyway - as my Camaro listed for a touch over $40k.

Anyway, the closest comparison may that of my '07 SRT8 Superbee and '04 Mustang Cobra (both of which I no longer own). The Camaro definitely feels faster than the Superbee did off the line - I don't know how they'd match up on a slow roll as the Superbee would launch poorly and then go like a bat out of hell from 20+MPH on. I think I'll give this one to the Camaro. The '04 Mustang - supercharged 4.6 with 400 factory rated horsepower - just plain seemed to haul ass. Looking back on specs, it's listed as a 12.9 1/4 mile car vs the Camaro which seems to be somewhere around mid-13s (understanding that Camaro data is still coming in).

I'll wait until break-in is complete, but am starting to wonder what - short of adding a supercharger - can be done with a few bucks (say a ceiling of $2k) to bring up performance of the SS and shave 5 or 6 tenths off the car.
DarrenJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:06 AM   #11
Super Sport
 
Drives: Mazda 3 GS 2008.5
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 55
Less than 5.0 seconds from 0-60 is hardly what I call slow... someone needs a reality check. You're definitely not going to get track-bred Viper performance for $34k, only God knows what you expected.
Super Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:42 AM   #12
Zeus
BOOOOOM MF'R!!
 
Zeus's Avatar
 
Drives: to Chipotle daily
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Flo-Rida
Posts: 3,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcslc View Post
The GT500 has a dual-plate ceramic-coated clutch system. It offers more surface area than a single disc system, and less intertia to get it all spinning, which results in the engine coming up faster, and easier engagement. It takes some getting used to going between the two cars (GT500 and Camaro, which uses a single-disc system).

I'm just breaking in the Camaro, with only about 260 miles on the clock. You're right that it just might wake up past break-in. Guess I'll have to do some driving
The 2007 GT500 does not have a dual clutch.



And your post still fails to make much sense to me. The car has 75hp less than the one you are directly comparing it too and 175hp less than the one your indirectly comparing it to. Did you expect it to pull as hard?



this should be posted in the Camaro vs. R8 section. lol.
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:48 AM   #13
Super Sport
 
Drives: Mazda 3 GS 2008.5
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
The 2007 GT500 does not have a dual clutch.



And your post still fails to make much sense to me. The car has 75hp less than the one you are directly comparing it too and 175hp less than the one your indirectly comparing it to. Did you expect it to pull as hard?



Should this be posted in the Camaro vs. R8 section?
As far as I know twin-plate/dual-plate and dual-clutch aren't the same thing.
Super Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:53 AM   #14
Zeus
BOOOOOM MF'R!!
 
Zeus's Avatar
 
Drives: to Chipotle daily
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Flo-Rida
Posts: 3,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sport View Post
As far as I know twin-plate/dual-plate and dual-clutch aren't the same thing.
"the GT500 is the most streetable (dual clutch is sweet!)"

Direct quote from the OP
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SS badging on/near Gauge Cluster UCF w00t 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 56 08-15-2011 08:46 PM
Magnaflow 2010 Camaro SS Systems JDP Motorsports V8 Bolt-Ons & Tunes 61 12-12-2009 01:13 PM
Why do you think the Z28 is the higher tier? The_Blur Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics 181 10-14-2009 09:08 PM
My review of the SS (vs Vette, Challenger, Mustang) vetteman Chevy Camaro vs... 45 08-03-2009 01:53 PM
camaro ss or 06 vette? Robin 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 45 08-23-2008 06:10 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.