Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Vitesse Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2014, 09:38 PM   #1
B-_-RAD
Banned
 
Drives: ...
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: ...
Posts: 403
The worthless 2yr/24k mile service plan

Just fyi for people who like to actually change their oil regularly, don't expect to get it changed by the dealer under the free scheduled maintenance plan. Tried to get an oil change today and was told by the dealer AND chevy customer service that they will not change the oil unless the indicator says 15% or less. Makes no sense to me since you're limited to 4 oil changes, and changing oil sooner could potentially save them from having to pay out on a warranty claim. Oh well, at least I have a case number and I will get it escalated later. Pretty piss poor customer service when someone buys $90k of chevy vehicles in 2 months.
B-_-RAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:11 PM   #2
JimE


 
JimE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 2,278
Unless you are tracking the car, it doesn't need to be changed that often. Many people, myself included, grew up having (change the oil every 3,000 miles) beat into our heads. Technology and oil have changed drastically since that mantra began (in the era of conventional oil) and these cars use full synthetic. Regardless of whether the oil is changed every 10,000 miles based on the computer or every 3,000 miles, the motor is still covered under warranty. The computer has a safety margin factored in anyway, so why not rely on the tested and proven computer monitoring?

In any case, it's all Chevrolet dealers, not just the one you are using.
__________________
Perm-a-grin in place.....
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:17 PM   #3
B-_-RAD
Banned
 
Drives: ...
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: ...
Posts: 403
My point is, the vehicle in question is my Silverado, which I bought in nov '13, it was manufactured around march of 2013, so the oil had been sitting in the truck for about 8 months, and now is atleast a year old and has 4xxx miles on it. I dont care what that oil life reading says, the oil needs to be changed
B-_-RAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:18 PM   #4
MrFrost
 
MrFrost's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 - "Mabel"
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: East Texas - Hawkins
Posts: 339
Yeah I got that plan given to me when I bought my car and the sales guy told me they wouldn't change it unless the indicator was way down. So I am thinking what is the point ? I don't want to risk problems waiting so long between oil changes but if I stick by their rules I wont get but 1 or 2 oil changes for free.
Let me know what you find out please
MrFrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:22 PM   #5
2ssrsvert
 
2ssrsvert's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS RS VERT
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Lawrenceville GA
Posts: 89
I just took my 14 Silverado in today with 43XX miles on it bought it in oct 29 2013. and had no issues with them changing the oil and doing rotation at all. I think it comes down to the dealers discretion. my oil life meter was like 21% or something. I would argue that one for sure, Best of luck
or just check with another dealer
2ssrsvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:25 PM   #6
Mr. iNCREDIBLE


 
Mr. iNCREDIBLE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: SoCal Baby...
Posts: 2,337
same as any other manufacturer. BMW won't change the oil until 15,000 miles..

my general rule of thumb is 20% on the oil meter or 1 year whichever comes first..

I will agree with the OP that the plan is pretty worthless for people that don't put a lot of miles on their vehicles.. For those that manage 250-350 or more a week it is probably a good deal.
__________________
"A world 100% full of Prius drivers is still 100% addicted to oil. " ~ E. Musk
Mr. iNCREDIBLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:28 PM   #7
B-_-RAD
Banned
 
Drives: ...
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: ...
Posts: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ssrsvert View Post
I just took my 14 Silverado in today with 43XX miles on it bought it in oct 29 2013. and had no issues with them changing the oil and doing rotation at all. I think it comes down to the dealers discretion. my oil life meter was like 21% or something. I would argue that one for sure, Best of luck
or just check with another dealer
It's not just the dealer, I even called gm customer service and they refused to waive the 15% oil life requirement. Not sure how yours is so low and we have about the same mileage. You do a lot of stop and go?

Hopefully a customer service rep will chime in at some point.
B-_-RAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:30 PM   #8
B-_-RAD
Banned
 
Drives: ...
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: ...
Posts: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE View Post
same as any other manufacturer. BMW won't change the oil until 15,000 miles..

my general rule of thumb is 20% on the oil meter or 1 year whichever comes first..

I will agree with the OP that the plan is pretty worthless for people that don't put a lot of miles on their vehicles.. For those that manage 250-350 or more a week it is probably a good deal.
I drive 240 miles every 3 days and it sure isnt helping me one bit. There should be a time limit that supercedes the percentage
B-_-RAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:37 PM   #9
Mr. iNCREDIBLE


 
Mr. iNCREDIBLE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: SoCal Baby...
Posts: 2,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-_-RAD View Post
I drive 240 miles every 3 days and it sure isnt helping me one bit. There should be a time limit that supercedes the percentage
4,000 miles in 4 months is ~250 a week not 500 a week.

but I agree with you, the vehicle is a year old and the oil should be changed..
__________________
"A world 100% full of Prius drivers is still 100% addicted to oil. " ~ E. Musk
Mr. iNCREDIBLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:40 PM   #10
B-_-RAD
Banned
 
Drives: ...
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: ...
Posts: 403
I wasn't saying I drive 500 a week, just I use the truck at least 240 miles and at least 3 days a week, other driving is done with other vehicles mostly.
B-_-RAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:12 AM   #11
honor first
MURICA!
 
honor first's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: RGV, Texas
Posts: 464
i really don't understand the complaint here. I'm in the same boat, 100k in chevy vehicles bought in my household in a one month period. i just had my first oil change in the camaro done at 7k which is more than i like, but with today's vehicle and oil tech, it isn't a big deal. ill probably go to 5k changes when i get out of the free oil changes, but what is your complaint? that chevy is sticking to the guidelines that they set forth when you bought the vehicle? you're mad that chevy won't change their nationwide policy just for you specially? it is what it is, deal with it; if you want it done sooner than the oil change monitor says, how could you expect them to do it for free. at the end of the day, the truck/car production date doesn't really matter. if the vehicle sat for a while, that is in no way shape or form a justifiable reason to require the oil change early. the only way that would be justified would be if the vehicle had an insane amount of idling hours, or something like that.

edit: so that being said, i find the 2yr.24k plan to not only not be worthless, but to be great, just got a 100 dollar oil change for free, because i don't expect chevy to cater to me specifically.
__________________
Pro Amore Patriae
God gave three gifts to man; dogs, women, and the LS motor.
2014 Camaro 2SS 6MT RS 1LE Black on Black
AFE Intake, Stainless Power Headers + HFC, BadlanzHPE Electric Cutouts. 315/275 Nittos, Wheels. Debadged, Cosmetic Mods, Sound System, More
honor first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:03 PM   #12
B-_-RAD
Banned
 
Drives: ...
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: ...
Posts: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFrost View Post
Yeah I got that plan given to me when I bought my car and the sales guy told me they wouldn't change it unless the indicator was way down. So I am thinking what is the point ? I don't want to risk problems waiting so long between oil changes but if I stick by their rules I wont get but 1 or 2 oil changes for free.
Let me know what you find out please
Just got off the phone with customer service and the local dealer. They said bring it in to be changed. Owners manual clearly states oil must be changed at least once a year.
B-_-RAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:23 PM   #13
ZuluKilla8

 
ZuluKilla8's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS RJT
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Saddle Brook ,NJ
Posts: 806
Does the indicator only go by milage? I have put 2500 miles on my Equinox in 4 months and it is at 30% life left.
__________________
2010 Camaro SS LS3 Vortech V-3,10Rib 3.47 Pully Airfilter Pipe Delete, 10 PSI, TSP LT Headers
Flowmaster Outlaws, Alky Control Meth Kit, PFADT 1.25, ZL1 Fuel Pump, DSS 1000HP axles, Mantic ER2 Clutch, Hex Vents
ZuluKilla8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:32 PM   #14
Mr. iNCREDIBLE


 
Mr. iNCREDIBLE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: SoCal Baby...
Posts: 2,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-_-RAD View Post
I wasn't saying I drive 500 a week, just I use the truck at least 240 miles and at least 3 days a week, other driving is done with other vehicles mostly.
I see, I misunderstood what you were saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-_-RAD View Post
Just got off the phone with customer service and the local dealer. They said bring it in to be changed. Owners manual clearly states oil must be changed at least once a year.
__________________
"A world 100% full of Prius drivers is still 100% addicted to oil. " ~ E. Musk
Mr. iNCREDIBLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:38 PM   #15
45thCamaro

 
45thCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 1,801
The worthless 2yr/24k mile service plan

Yeah I think it's BS as well. Just leased a Chevy Cruze, and asked a friend who works for Chevy when I can come in, he said the same thing. For me, doesn't matter bc I'm giving the car back at the end of the lease. Any idea how The car knows how much oil life is left? Does it test it?
45thCamaro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:08 PM   #16
B-_-RAD
Banned
 
Drives: ...
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: ...
Posts: 403
It is claimed to be able to calculate it by temperature, driving habits etc. I don't buy it.
B-_-RAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:11 PM   #17
B-_-RAD
Banned
 
Drives: ...
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: ...
Posts: 403
At least they did finally agree that it needs to be changed after a year. Then later the dealer tried to tell me it's a at least once a year after the "in service" date of the vehicle, which is a load of crap. At least I got it changed. Someone at the dealer also mentioned that it was just recently changed from 20% life to 15.
B-_-RAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:13 PM   #18
B-_-RAD
Banned
 
Drives: ...
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: ...
Posts: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by honor first View Post
i really don't understand the complaint here. I'm in the same boat, 100k in chevy vehicles bought in my household in a one month period. i just had my first oil change in the camaro done at 7k which is more than i like, but with today's vehicle and oil tech, it isn't a big deal. ill probably go to 5k changes when i get out of the free oil changes, but what is your complaint? that chevy is sticking to the guidelines that they set forth when you bought the vehicle? you're mad that chevy won't change their nationwide policy just for you specially? it is what it is, deal with it; if you want it done sooner than the oil change monitor says, how could you expect them to do it for free. at the end of the day, the truck/car production date doesn't really matter. if the vehicle sat for a while, that is in no way shape or form a justifiable reason to require the oil change early. the only way that would be justified would be if the vehicle had an insane amount of idling hours, or something like that.

edit: so that being said, i find the 2yr.24k plan to not only not be worthless, but to be great, just got a 100 dollar oil change for free, because i don't expect chevy to cater to me specifically.
I hope you feel as stupid as you sound since gm agreed with me and it's printed in the manual it must be changed at least once a year.
B-_-RAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:57 PM   #19
Mr. iNCREDIBLE


 
Mr. iNCREDIBLE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: SoCal Baby...
Posts: 2,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-_-RAD View Post
It is claimed to be able to calculate it by temperature, driving habits etc. I don't buy it.
I think it is pretty accurate, when I was driving 5.5 miles to work all city streets it would be @ 20% at about 3500 - 4,000 miles. (both my Camaro and my Avalanche were similar)

since last July I changed jobs and now have a 25 mile commute all freeway against the heavy flow (so I move 70-75mph to and from work, no stop and go) it is holding out closer to 8,000 miles..

I had the oil in my Camaro changed @ 1500 miles because like you the car had been on the lot for 6+ months before I bought it.

then at 5,000 miles it was @ 20%, and then @ 13,400 it was @ 20%

I'm at 15,000 now and it is @ 85% (1,500ish since last change) so it is calculating roughly 500 miles for every 5%
__________________
"A world 100% full of Prius drivers is still 100% addicted to oil. " ~ E. Musk
Mr. iNCREDIBLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:17 PM   #20
B-_-RAD
Banned
 
Drives: ...
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: ...
Posts: 403
What is interesting is that when they changed my oil they put on a sticker for next service due 3k miles from when they changed it, yet they'll probably say it isn't due.
B-_-RAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:19 PM   #21
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor
 
Angrybird 12's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 14 Spark
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: J. C. Tennessee
Posts: 17,949
http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/oil-...g-systems.html
__________________
Cancer's a bitch! Enjoy life while you can! LIVE, LOVE, DRIVE...CAMARO!

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:23 PM   #22
K1SSRSS
Chief Many Camaros
 
K1SSRSS's Avatar
 
Drives: A paid off Camaro!!!
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Posts: 1,493
If they want to lie about the yearly oil change as recommended by GM, I would also ask them why when a vehicle with out an oil meter is brought in, most dealers recommend 3,000 or 3 months till the next oil change.
__________________
K1SSRSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:51 PM   #23
JimE


 
JimE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 2,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-_-RAD View Post
Just got off the phone with customer service and the local dealer. They said bring it in to be changed. Owners manual clearly states oil must be changed at least once a year.
Glad they took care of it for you. And yes, I agree with a minimum yearly change. I'm surprised there isn't a timer as well as a mileage monitor. This is the computer age after all.
__________________
Perm-a-grin in place.....
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:54 PM   #24
B-_-RAD
Banned
 
Drives: ...
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: ...
Posts: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimE View Post
Glad they took care of it for you. And yes, I agree with a minimum yearly change. I'm surprised there isn't a timer as well as a mileage monitor. This is the computer age after all.
If there was they would probably just unhook the battery to bypass it. I'm glad it got taken care of as well but its just sad to have to jumo through these hoops. Especially when the owners manual says it in black and white.
B-_-RAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:57 PM   #25
B-_-RAD
Banned
 
Drives: ...
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: ...
Posts: 403
I would also have more faith in the olm if when you changed the oil it could tell, but it cant, because it doesn't monitor anything about the oil it's self.
B-_-RAD is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.