Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Hurst Shifters
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2014, 09:15 AM   #1
cliffdog89
 
cliffdog89's Avatar
 
Drives: 2LT/RS M6 '12 Camaro
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 304
SOLO HFC install questions

I just installed the SOLO HFCs (a shop installed the SOLO exhaust system previously) and I have one problem that I may just live with and could use a second opinion on. The driver side cat butted up nicely to the exhaust system; however, is a 1/2" gap between the passenger side cat and exhaust. I also had to push the exhaust upwards with a fair amount of force to marriage the two pipes together. For now I just bridged the 1/2" gap with the exhaust clamp. The x-pipe is already too close to the passenger side tunnel wall to move the exhaust over. Do you think the clamp is sufficient or should I have a piece welded onto the exhaust pipe? I have also considered unmounting the exhaust system and trying to move up the whole system but I am not sure if this will work as the driver side is flush.

Any suggestions would be helpful! thanks.
__________________
cliffdog89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:38 AM   #2
Nutbutt


 
Nutbutt's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Western Massachusetts
Posts: 3,141
When I had the HFC installed, it was done by solo. They did undo my whole system to align correctly. There were no gaps that I saw. It was about 1hour of shifting and moving. Plus I'm a vert which was even tighter because of the undercarriage braces.
When I went SC I removed the HFCs and reinstalled the oem cats due to temp issues and at this time I wrestled with alignment for at least a couple hours.
__________________
1st IPF Supercharged 2011 2LT/RS RJT Convertible
Nutbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:59 AM   #3
cliffdog89
 
cliffdog89's Avatar
 
Drives: 2LT/RS M6 '12 Camaro
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutbutt View Post
When I had the HFC installed, it was done by solo. They did undo my whole system to align correctly. There were no gaps that I saw. It was about 1hour of shifting and moving. Plus I'm a vert which was even tighter because of the undercarriage braces.
When I went SC I removed the HFCs and reinstalled the oem cats due to temp issues and at this time I wrestled with alignment for at least a couple hours.
Ok - I will probably unbolt the exhaust and play with things - also, what kind of heat issues did you have? would installing heat shielding help?
__________________
cliffdog89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:05 AM   #4
KMPrenger


 
KMPrenger's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 ABM LT/RS, 06 Chevy Colorado
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jefferson City, Missouri
Posts: 9,083
The heat issues are due to his supercharger. Aftermarket cats don't seem to play well with the extra exhaust heat generated by the supercharger and they have been shown to collapse over time. The stock cats, while a bit more restrictive, seem to hold up better to the heat from a supercharger.
__________________
IPF Tune, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Vararam intake, MACE Ported Manifold, RX Ported TB, "Black Ice" manifold insulator, Elite Catch Can, ZL1 repro wheels, ZL1 Springs, DRL Harness, Front GM GFX, Heritage grill, Street Scene lower grill, NLP Spoiler, ZL1 rockers and much more!
KMPrenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:12 AM   #5
cliffdog89
 
cliffdog89's Avatar
 
Drives: 2LT/RS M6 '12 Camaro
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
The heat issues are due to his supercharger. Aftermarket cats don't seem to play well with the extra exhaust heat generated by the supercharger and they have been shown to collapse over time. The stock cats, while a bit more restrictive, seem to hold up better to the heat from a supercharger.
Thanks - I should have figured that out I don't plan on supercharging so I shouldn't have any problems
__________________
cliffdog89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:28 PM   #6
Nutbutt


 
Nutbutt's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Western Massachusetts
Posts: 3,141
No, you shouldn't. I loved the HFCs and the whole solo exhaust. Good luck, just take your time and things will line up.
__________________
1st IPF Supercharged 2011 2LT/RS RJT Convertible
Nutbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:08 PM   #7
Eddiefuzz
 
Eddiefuzz's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 RS
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Florence New Jersey
Posts: 480
Hey Cliffdog, How hard/ easy was the install. Did you do it yourself, ramps, jack stands, or full stocked garage? This is my next mod, I'm just wondering if I'll need a day or a weekend. I've already installed a few exhaust with ramps and jacks in my parking lot. Thanks in advance...
Eddiefuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:33 PM   #8
cliffdog89
 
cliffdog89's Avatar
 
Drives: 2LT/RS M6 '12 Camaro
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddiefuzz View Post
Hey Cliffdog, How hard/ easy was the install. Did you do it yourself, ramps, jack stands, or full stocked garage? This is my next mod, I'm just wondering if I'll need a day or a weekend. I've already installed a few exhaust with ramps and jacks in my parking lot. Thanks in advance...
I created a DIY post: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=344024 I also link to a couple other threads that have pictures etc.

If you have any additional questions or anything is not clear I would be happy to explain. You should be able to do it on a set of ramps - it will be a little more challenging but doable.
__________________
cliffdog89 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.