Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 07-08-2016, 11:51 AM   #1
thegreatwhite

Drives: 2014 SS
what do you do for brake squeaking

my brakes have been squeaking for awhile now. only audible when im slowing down from like 30mph an below. took it to the dealership an he said i have enough brake pad left but said if they start squeaking they will do that until you replace them. he was trying to get me to replace all of them. i didnt. what are your guys solutions to this....thanks. my car 39,000 miles on it
thegreatwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 12:00 PM   #2
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Nature of the beast. Just wait till its time to replace.
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 12:10 PM   #3
thegreatwhite

damnit. i dont want to just deal with loud embarassing squeaking any longer. but i also dont wanna spend money on new brakes already. looks like i have a decision to make.

on another note i did some donuts in my car the other night and after that none of the brakes were making any noise at all...
Old 07-12-2016, 12:26 PM   #4
jrhagen

Drives: Camaro
Ignore it.
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 12:56 PM   #5
JWoj3540

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS M6
are these stock brake pads?
JWoj3540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 01:40 PM   #6
Black_SS10

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS
Disassemble, clean, and grease the hell out of the pads. Take some sandpaper and scuff the pads and rotors. Assemble and attempt to rebed the pads and rotors. This may help, otherwise the noise is inherent to brakes.
'10 2SS 6M, Blacked out lights, MGW short shifter, K&N intake, JDP Clutch Reservoir, Elite catch can, Kooks 1 7/8 LT, Kooks HFC, Flowmaster Outlaw catback, VMAX Thottle body, SCTX4/Tuned by DynoSteve, DSS aluminum driveshaft, Pegasus subframe bushings, BMR trailing and toe arms, Z28 upper control arm bushings, FE4/Zl1 rear sway bar, Prothane radius arm inserts, BMR steering rack bushing, Goodridge stainless steel brake lines, Ridetech HQ level 2 coilovers, 1LE diffuser, SSclones, 20in CCW 505A, Pilot super sports...more in the future.
Black_SS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 01:44 PM   #7
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
brakes squeal because racecar
Old 07-12-2016, 02:35 PM   #8
JusticePete
5th Gen Master Builder

Drives: Camaro Justice
How many miles on your Camaro, this set of pads?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 11:34 AM   #9
thegreatwhite

yes i have been ignoring it for awhile now and its just to the point where its getting old haha. what is weird is that it has phases of getting worse an better and its never based on temperature or speed or driving style. these are the stock pads. its the rear 2 pads..maybe just one of them even. my car has 39,400 miles on it. i have seen the suggestion on here of taking the wheels off an cleaning the brake pads, this is one of the options iv considered.

how tough is it for a regular guy to disassemble and re assemble the brakes just enough to clean the pads. im not a mechanic but iv done some basic work to the car myself(install CAI intake, catch can, cut mufflers off) cause i have access to a full shop. i work with mechanics too that can help me but i just dont wanna get stuck with the wheels an brakes off an not be able to put it all back together....
Old 07-13-2016, 11:36 AM   #10
JusticePete
5th Gen Master Builder

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatwhite View Post
yes i have been ignoring it for awhile now and its just to the point where its getting old haha. what is weird is that it has phases of getting worse an better and its never based on temperature or speed or driving style. these are the stock pads. its the rear 2 pads..maybe just one of them even. my car has 39,400 miles on it. i have seen the suggestion on here of taking the wheels off an cleaning the brake pads, this is one of the options iv considered.

how tough is it for a regular guy to disassemble and re assemble the brakes just enough to clean the pads. im not a mechanic but iv done some basic work to the car myself(install CAI intake, catch can, cut mufflers off) cause i have access to a full shop. i work with mechanics too that can help me but i just dont wanna get stuck with the wheels an brakes off an not be able to put it all back together....
At 39K what you are hearing could be the squealers on the pads telling you it is time to replace them. Have you checked to see how much pad is left? At 39K can't be much.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 01:08 PM   #11
thegreatwhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
At 39K what you are hearing could be the squealers on the pads telling you it is time to replace them. Have you checked to see how much pad is left? At 39K can't be much.
i recently had my car at the dealership cause i had a coupon for a discounted oil change. they also checked the brakes and i got a call from the service guy while the car was in. he said " the front pads needs to be replaced and the rears have a little longer they could go" i was hesitant since from this dealership to replace the front 2 is like 329$ but then he told me i was getting really low on the fronts and the fronts had 2 centimeters of pad left and the rear had 4 centimeters left. maybe he said millimeters? dont remember exactly which unit of measurement he said. anyways he replaced the front 2 and the squeaking was still there which is why im sayin im pretty sure its the rears making noise. i know im gonna have to replace the rears soon im just looking for something to cure the noise until i do. if it cant be fixed without a pad change then il make the change it is what it is
Old 07-13-2016, 01:09 PM   #12
cabbe

Drives: 2014 2ss 1le
I took my pads out and greased them. Then I took a sand paper and rounded off all the 90 degree angles on the pads. Now car does not squeal any more.
cabbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 04:59 PM   #13
thegreatwhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabbe View Post
I took my pads out and greased them. Then I took a sand paper and rounded off all the 90 degree angles on the pads. Now car does not squeal any more.
How many miles do you have on those pads
Old 07-13-2016, 06:21 PM   #14
Vengeance Graphix

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
I just replaced my stock rotors and pads with r1 concepts and they squeak and squeal sooo bad now it makes me want to not drive the car
Vengeance Graphix is offline   Reply With Quote