Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
JUICEDMOTORSPORTS
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2014, 04:38 PM   #15
29er

 
29er's Avatar
 
Drives: 14 1LE Garage King
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MTL
Posts: 1,482
never!
29er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:46 PM   #16
BigBoyBlue
Go NY Giants & NY Rangers
 
BigBoyBlue's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
I not going to agree with the SS being a niche car at all.
So, you think that as a percentage of total car sales the people looking for 2 door high powered V-8s with crappy gas mileage is large? Maybe in the 1960's, but nowadays most people go for soulless people movers.
__________________
Molon Labe!
BigBoyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:29 PM   #17
URBAN LEGEND

 
URBAN LEGEND's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 BMW M5/13 ZL1
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoyBlue View Post
So, you think that as a percentage of total car sales the people looking for 2 door high powered V-8s with crappy gas mileage is large? Maybe in the 1960's, but nowadays most people go for soulless people movers.
Prove this theory with facts and numbers. And I'll change my mind. I'll say to you that you were right. Do bring numbers and facts though.
__________________
2013 ZL1
2013 BMW M5
2015 Z/28
URBAN LEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:31 PM   #18
ZL1-V

 
ZL1-V's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyKramer99 View Post
I think that the Stingray affected the ZL1 market, multiple dealers I spoke with said they got their ZL1 on a trade in for a Stingray.
Those same people will most likely trade the Corvette in when the new car buzz wears off! Two different approaches with different goals. To answer the OP's question, nope, not going to happen.
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:34 PM   #19
AZCamaroFan
Camaro Vanguard
 
AZCamaroFan's Avatar
 
Drives: sometimes
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 17,285



nothing ever goes down.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:19 PM   #20
el ess A
formerly "el ess X"
 
el ess A's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Aiken, SC
Posts: 4,323
Urban Legend wants some numbers, so here is some. 147,503 Prius Liftback hybrid sales in the US alone in 2012. This doesn't count the 60K plus other Prius family sales in the US for 2012. That would push Prius US sales in 2012 to over 207,000.

84,391 total Camaro sales in 2012. Add the 82,995 Mustang sales 43,119 Challys and you're up there at 210,505 TOTAL pony cars for 2012. And not all of those are V8s.

So that's ALL pony cars vs. 1 model from 1 brand of jelly bean cars. Throw in Toyota Camry's 2012 US sales figures of 404,886 and Camry/Prius 1-2 punch is nearing 610,000 units. So even if 1/2 of all the pony cars are V8s, lets even bump that to 75% for ease- that's 610K vs 157K in 2012. That's 4 times the rate. Extrapolate all the other jelly beans, like Ford Focus' 245,992 in 2012 US sales, and it gets evident pretty fast that only about 4 models or so of the jelly bean cars production dominance gap gets even further out.

There's facts/figures. People don't flock in droves to pony cars in general, period. But with that said, sales figures alone does not a niche car make. The ZL1 is more of a niche vehicle aimed at a certain market. So is the SRT8, GT500, Z/28 and other purpose oriented cars. SS's start at $33K and depending on options, are in the mid 40s or so when you're done. Consider that an inflation-adjusted 1985 loaded out Olds Cutlass cost around $35,000 in today's dollars, I wouldn't say that they're priced in the "niche" market. I concede there are niche versions of the SS, such as the 1LE, HotWheels, etc., but the SS in general would not really be considered a niche vehicle on its own. Sorry. Just doesn't compute and I don't think the numbers could hold it up.
__________________
2010/2013 Camaro

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:25 PM   #21
lbls1


 
lbls1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2009 Malibu LT
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 2,512
Prices go up, not down lol!!!!
__________________
'02 CAMARO SS SOM; 5.7L LS1/FLS6B
'08 TBSS AWD Black Granite Metallic
'09 Malibu LT Dark Gray Metallic

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:43 PM   #22
JAX CAMARO

 
Drives: orange 2011 2SS/RS
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: royersford Pa
Posts: 1,075
So how long have you been smokin the crack pipe Cuz ??
__________________
ARH 1 7/8" Headers W/HFC, GM Performance Exhaust / K&N Typhoon CAI, Comp Custom Grind Dominator 3 Cam, Pioneer Dual Valve Springs, Trickflow Push rods, IWIS Timing Chain, Rapid Motorsports Tune, 496 RWHP
JAX CAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:28 PM   #23
BigBoyBlue
Go NY Giants & NY Rangers
 
BigBoyBlue's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess A View Post
Urban Legend wants some numbers, so here is some. 147,503 Prius Liftback hybrid sales in the US alone in 2012. This doesn't count the 60K plus other Prius family sales in the US for 2012. That would push Prius US sales in 2012 to over 207,000.

84,391 total Camaro sales in 2012. Add the 82,995 Mustang sales 43,119 Challys and you're up there at 210,505 TOTAL pony cars for 2012. And not all of those are V8s.

So that's ALL pony cars vs. 1 model from 1 brand of jelly bean cars. Throw in Toyota Camry's 2012 US sales figures of 404,886 and Camry/Prius 1-2 punch is nearing 610,000 units. So even if 1/2 of all the pony cars are V8s, lets even bump that to 75% for ease- that's 610K vs 157K in 2012. That's 4 times the rate. Extrapolate all the other jelly beans, like Ford Focus' 245,992 in 2012 US sales, and it gets evident pretty fast that only about 4 models or so of the jelly bean cars production dominance gap gets even further out.

There's facts/figures. People don't flock in droves to pony cars in general, period. But with that said, sales figures alone does not a niche car make. The ZL1 is more of a niche vehicle aimed at a certain market. So is the SRT8, GT500, Z/28 and other purpose oriented cars. SS's start at $33K and depending on options, are in the mid 40s or so when you're done. Consider that an inflation-adjusted 1985 loaded out Olds Cutlass cost around $35,000 in today's dollars, I wouldn't say that they're priced in the "niche" market. I concede there are niche versions of the SS, such as the 1LE, HotWheels, etc., but the SS in general would not really be considered a niche vehicle on its own. Sorry. Just doesn't compute and I don't think the numbers could hold it up.
Thanks for the help.

Btw, when I call a V8 Camaro or Mustang a "niche" car, I did not mean to imply they were expensive/exclusive. I mean there is a limited market that they appeal to and they will never be high volume cars.

Both Chevy and Ford sales managers (where I bought my cars) told me the "typical" buyer is a guy over 35yrs. old with a good income. I guess we still remember when the original musclecars still roamed the streets in numbers.
__________________
Molon Labe!
BigBoyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:55 PM   #24
holanxiaoq
 
Drives: audi
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: gho
Posts: 4
There's an excellent chance the car has been well taken care of and you still don't have to pay new car price.
holanxiaoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:49 PM   #25
RyKramer99
 
Drives: 2010 Black Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1Dan View Post
Come on in. The water's fine.
Well I jumped in, signing the papers Monday for my ZL1!
RyKramer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:57 PM   #26
OldScoolCamaro


 
Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Home of the brave
Posts: 4,851
...IMHO there is no connection in value between the two as you posed your question.
__________________
In Scott We Trust...all others must show proof.
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 12:43 AM   #27
Todd in Vancouver

 
Todd in Vancouver's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ZL1
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyKramer99 View Post
Well I jumped in, signing the papers Monday for my ZL1!
Congrats, they are an awesome car. 4 months ago I got mine and I enjoy it every time I get in and hit the ignition. Best car I've ever purchased new.
__________________
Todd in Vancouver
'14 ZL1 Camaro
'67 Camaro SS Pro-tour in process

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession


Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 02:10 PM   #28
Msmall143

 
Msmall143's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: NOVA
Posts: 1,720
Z/28 won't affect zl1
C7 did affect zl1 value
Msmall143 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
z28, zl1

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.