Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vector Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion Come chat about other cars.

View Poll Results: whir or grrr???
batteries please... 6 20.69%
I like the smell of exhaust fumes... 23 79.31%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-30-2008, 10:33 PM   #1
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
Battery powered wheels poll

So, who's up for trading in pumping for plugging?
Old 03-30-2008, 10:38 PM   #2
AirGoya

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
I rev the engine just so i can make a larger whole in the ozone

AirGoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 10:44 PM   #3
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

I watched 60 mins and Gore was on....I would have shut if off if it weren't my TV. I for one can't prove global warming and I think even the smartest scientist with the longest list of credentials couldn't prove it. Too many factors seem way far beyond our control for me to believe that we indeed know it for sure exists, but if you get a bunch of influential and relatively smart people together to create and stir a pot of pandemonium enough people will buy it, for nothing, only one day for someone to see that we have more ice than we do ocean. On topic: I can't imagine driving an electric car, listening for the faintest of sounds only to end up rear-ending the car in front of me because I was too busy listening for something that wasn't there. Saving our enviorment? SAVE MY CAR!
Old 03-30-2008, 11:00 PM   #4
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Is there no "Both" Option?? I'd take either or. The instant, diesel-trumping torque that comes from zappy-cars appeals to a small part of me. The ROAR of the bada$$ V8 appeals to the bigger part of me, though
Old 03-31-2008, 01:39 AM   #5
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
When I saw the title, I thought of an approach for hybrid cars that I thought of over the summer. take a car like the Camaro, then have the front wheels powered by electric motors, thus creating optional all wheel drive. I would see it as a way to improve 0-60 times as well as city mileage. but since that isn't what i thought . . .

I'm gonna have to go with liquid fuel. be it gas, diesel, ethanol, you simply can't match its energy density. plugins are nice, but the electric hum doesn't do anything for me.

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 08:23 AM   #6
CatiaJockey

Drives: 2010 2LT RS
Lemme see 0-60 in 3.9, 13000 red line, 135mpg, with no noise. I'd surely consider if the price was right.
http://www.teslamotors.com/
Old 03-31-2008, 08:47 AM   #7
MattG
Z/28 or Bust!

Drives: First Camaro: '69 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatiaJockey View Post
Lemme see 0-60 in 3.9, 13000 red line, 135mpg, with no noise. I'd surely consider if the price was right.
http://www.teslamotors.com/
+1
MattG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:23 AM   #8
OverAnxious

Drives: 1967 RS/SS L78 Coupe
Send a message via AIM to OverAnxious Send a message via Yahoo to OverAnxious
For my DD I'd do it.
For my toy, petrol all the way!
OverAnxious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 01:25 PM   #9
CaptianSam
Car Garage

Drives: 350z,A4,SRT8...see sig
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGoya View Post
I rev the engine just so i can make a larger whole in the ozone
Mf'n

On My Ipad
Xbox McLovin1515
Ps3 McLovin1555
Current Autos:68z28,03viperSRT10,04escalade,05RangeRoverSport SC
Project Autos:80corvette350-500hp 6speed,06charger S'C 6-speed posi,74Firebird400blue,69chevelle572 707
New Autos:2012CamaroSSRS,09ChallengerSRT8
Past Autos:....too many to list

"i told you it was gettin' an LS3"
Go down deep enough into anything and you will find mathematics. Dean Schlicter
B.Sc. Hons. Mathematics
CaptianSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 01:28 PM   #10
CaptianSam
Car Garage

Drives: 350z,A4,SRT8...see sig
JUST TO LET YOU ALLLLL KNOW a fact
GLOBAL TEMPERATURE HAS ONLY RISEN 1.3 DEGREEs... thats nothing....??? al gore is a moron and a make believer to ignorant vegetarians and pot smokers

On My Ipad
Xbox McLovin1515
Ps3 McLovin1555
Current Autos:68z28,03viperSRT10,04escalade,05RangeRoverSport SC
Project Autos:80corvette350-500hp 6speed,06charger S'C 6-speed posi,74Firebird400blue,69chevelle572 707
New Autos:2012CamaroSSRS,09ChallengerSRT8
Past Autos:....too many to list

"i told you it was gettin' an LS3"
Go down deep enough into anything and you will find mathematics. Dean Schlicter
B.Sc. Hons. Mathematics
CaptianSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 02:00 PM   #11
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
When I saw the title, I thought of an approach for hybrid cars that I thought of over the summer. take a car like the Camaro, then have the front wheels powered by electric motors, thus creating optional all wheel drive. I would see it as a way to improve 0-60 times as well as city mileage. but since that isn't what i thought . . .

I'm gonna have to go with liquid fuel. be it gas, diesel, ethanol, you simply can't match its energy density. plugins are nice, but the electric hum doesn't do anything for me.
not to mention, it doesnt really matter if we convert to electric cars. people dont realize the amount of fossil fuels that are used to MAKE the electricity in the first place.

consider it this way, suppose we all convert to electric cars, now everyone will be paying more for electricity instead, and on top of that, the power companies will have to burn more fossil fuels to meet the new, higher quota

i wish we could convert our main fuel supply to something else, like brazil did back in the 70's during the gas crisis. they took sugar cane (an abundant crop for them) and started making ethanol from it. instead of reinventing the car, they reinvented the fuel source.
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 02:31 PM   #12
GTAHVIT
One Lucky Guy.

Drives: #22 Tom Henry Racing 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAnxious View Post
For my DD I'd do it.
+1
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 02:44 PM   #13
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Quote:
For my DD I'd do it.
+2
Old 03-31-2008, 03:22 PM   #14
bouncertime
Miller High Life

Drives: 2009 Silverado and 2007 Cobalt SS
Quote:
For my DD I'd do it.
+3

Would like a Volt for daily driving and the Camaro for the Weekend.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:25 PM   #15
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Looks like Chevy's got a ton of Volt customers waiting in the wings. Let's hope the price is reasonable....
Old 03-31-2008, 03:47 PM   #16
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
not to mention, it doesnt really matter if we convert to electric cars. people dont realize the amount of fossil fuels that are used to MAKE the electricity in the first place.

consider it this way, suppose we all convert to electric cars, now everyone will be paying more for electricity instead, and on top of that, the power companies will have to burn more fossil fuels to meet the new, higher quota
yes and no. I know exactly where you are comming from. But the electric grid is extremely modular. Replace a coal plant with a nuclear one and nobody really notices. Slightly different if you replace gasoline with ethanol or hydrogen. But thats not really your point.

The electricity issue is less important than you make it sound. First off, the bulk of car electricity use will be over night not durring the day time. So demand won't go up dramatically. Also, power plants have alot of excess capacity at night, juice is drasically turned down then compared to daytime. So you wouldn't need to build more plants, just get more fuel. Which brings me to my last point. ~50% of the electricity in the US is made from coal, and I think other fossil fuels account for 10% or less. The rest is nuclear, hydroelectic, and wind. So we can assume that about 60% of the electricity produced at night is derived from fossil fuels. So even then, electric cars will still produce less CO2 than gasoline cars will. Plus, more can be done to reduce pollution at a power plant than in an exhaust pipe. And it is also possible to increase the use of other sources besides fossil fuels to generate electricity, such as wind and nuclear

I still want internal combustion engines though, despite the fact that electric cars are better for the environment.

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
Old 03-31-2008, 03:49 PM   #17
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

I'm willing to bet there will be a better long term solution than electricity. It's just a matter of "when".
Old 03-31-2008, 09:14 PM   #18
Mike88

Drives: 94 Camaro, 05 Magnum
those Tesla cars are amazing, but the fact that they can't supply the market with a more affordable, 4 passenger vehicle that doesn't necessarily have to go 0-60 in 3.5 seconds is frustrating. They offer so much potential, but few will be produced and you need to own a mint to afford one (it retails for almost $100k).
Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:00 PM   #19
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Electric propulsion sounds good til you get to....

-durability
-reliability
-safety
-cost of replacement

Most, if not all of the above tend to get shoved under the rug when it comes to discussing the pros/cons of battery powered automobiles. Funny.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:46 AM   #20
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
For my DD I'd do it.
+4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncertime View Post
+3

Would like a Volt for daily driving and the Camaro for the Weekend.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 01:55 PM   #21
Camaro_Corvette
36.833283,-76.021958

Drives: Team 1LE
id rather have both, one that is cheap to drive and one that still gets a good roar from the tailpipes...
Camaro_Corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 02:02 PM   #22
GSX
Falcon Punch

Drives: Scion tC (way too slow)
um..... I don't like power wheels. They are kid toys.
GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 02:44 PM   #23
Grape Ape

Drives: 96 Bronco w/ a 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
yes and no. I know exactly where you are comming from. But the electric grid is extremely modular. Replace a coal plant with a nuclear one and nobody really notices. Slightly different if you replace gasoline with ethanol or hydrogen. But thats not really your point.

The electricity issue is less important than you make it sound. First off, the bulk of car electricity use will be over night not durring the day time. So demand won't go up dramatically. Also, power plants have alot of excess capacity at night, juice is drasically turned down then compared to daytime. So you wouldn't need to build more plants, just get more fuel. Which brings me to my last point. ~50% of the electricity in the US is made from coal, and I think other fossil fuels account for 10% or less. The rest is nuclear, hydroelectic, and wind. So we can assume that about 60% of the electricity produced at night is derived from fossil fuels. So even then, electric cars will still produce less CO2 than gasoline cars will. Plus, more can be done to reduce pollution at a power plant than in an exhaust pipe. And it is also possible to increase the use of other sources besides fossil fuels to generate electricity, such as wind and nuclear

I still want internal combustion engines though, despite the fact that electric cars are better for the environment.
A rebuttal:

Charging will have to be pretty fast to offset the range limitation of an electric car (in case you want to go out on a weekday evening). For the same reason (plus convenience), most people will plug the car in and start charging as soon as they get home. So most of the charging will probably happen in the evening, which is already when residential use spikes.

It is my understanding that because of natural costs and EPA fees the cleanest plants run at or near capacity while the dirtiest plants are largely idle. So unless someone builds more new power plants, any increase in peak power demand is going to be met largely with coal.
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 02:10 AM   #24
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

I never thought of the people that would charge their cars right after they got home. That would be a killer on the grid. Most would avoid it, simply because its cheaper overnight. But if you have to go out, then yeah you don't have much choice. The recharge times for the Tesla roadster are under 4 hours. Not great, not awful either.

Good points. However, if electric cars become popular I'm sure that you will see SUV's with solar pannels and parking garages with recharge stations. But the second half doesn't help to shift demand. Gah. Build more nuclear plants I guess. The ultimate green energy!

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum