Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

autoguy
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 07-30-2009, 01:48 PM   #26
jpsuperman81
That's Right 478whp450tq!

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Rally Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcjlp View Post
The 30,000 mile valve spring change was mentioned to me. I have no experience with cams so please don't take it as fact necessarily.
I was hoping to get recommendations from the more knowledgeable members here. If this isn't the appropriate thread for this, then I apologize.
I knew what you were saying and I also was juust trying to get the most info and best directions to proceed.
jpsuperman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 03:43 PM   #27
RonC

Drives: 2010 2SS - RS
How about posting up all the specs of the stock LS3 and L99 cams. Hopefully someone out there knows this. It would be good to see what lift, duration, LSA, overlap and installed ICL the factory cams we have are to start with.

Knowing how and why the cam specs effect performance really helps to select the right cam for your car. A smaller cam that makes "more average power" will be more enjoyable to drive for most people.
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 05:17 PM   #28
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
what the?!?!
how the heck did you...

...wait!! when did you become a mod?!

what....? I'm a mod? NO WAY!!!!

you had to stretch pretty far for that one, didn't you?

lol

trust me... it wasn't like that when i hit submit!
sure it wasn't....

Quote:
What will the effect of changing a cam be on engine life?

I spoke with Mast Motorsports about their stage 1 (least Aggressive) cam which is designed to be used in conjunction with a supercharger. They told me any cam switch requires replacing the valve springs for proper engine wear. I also spoke with Ron at vengeance racing and he recommends changing the springs at 30,000 mile intervals.

I intend to supercharge this engine. I am tempted for the price/performance gain to start by first replacing the cam. I don't want to lose the bottom or mid-range acceleration. I also don't want to damage the engine. I've read everything I can find, but don't understand it well enough yet. I have been following pharmMD's build, which is along the lines of what I intend to do.

Any recommendations?

I will say that Mast Motorsports knows their isht with AFM motors.

they are dead on that ANY cam swap requires upgrading the springs to match. now, that being said, some "hot cams" can be run with stock springs, but most times you are running right at the max lift the spring can take. which is why its always a good idea to upgrade the rest of the valvetrain when doing a cam swap.

but start a new thread and copy your post in it and I'll be over there to comment. I would answer here, but things will get muddied up if I answered everyone's questions in here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikarus View Post
So what is the gross lift on the LS3 cam?

I know it lists lift .552/.525 but the LS3 uses 1.7 rockers, so the gross lift on the cam is .325/.308?

Just curious becasue I am speculating on what cams are being run to in aftermarket apps.
I've got the lift #'s for the LS3 somewhere, give me a sec and I'll throw them in.

ive got them for the L99

Camshaft Lobe Lift - Exhaust - Non Active Fuel Management Cylinders
7.48 mm
0.294 in

Camshaft Lobe Lift - Exhaust - Active Fuel Management Cylinders
7.61 mm
0.300 in

Camshaft Lobe Lift - Intake - Non Active Fuel Management Cylinders
7.48 mm
0.294 in

Camshaft Lobe Lift - Intake - Active Fuel Management Cylinders
7.61 mm
0.300 in

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsuperman81 View Post
Ok guys I was thinking about a cam, I have almost decided to do nearly everything besides forced induction. I don't know anything about cams but I saw ADM offers stage one and stage two and I was leaning towards stage 2 type of cam. I don't want the very first step and I don't want an extreme. I also want to keep the engine as safe as possible, I was told I needed to upgrade springs and the pushrods. Do the springs need to be changed every 30,000 like an above person mentioned? Is there any other info you can give me or any suggestions? Car will be a daily driver but that doesn't mean a lot of mileage, it will never see track or strip but I still want to make it a beast.

start a new thread and we'll talk.

Quote:
The 30,000 mile valve spring change was mentioned to me. I have no experience with cams so please don't take it as fact necessarily.
I was hoping to get recommendations from the more knowledgeable members here. If this isn't the appropriate thread for this, then I apologize.

I've heard of the 30,000 mile spring change but ive never seen anyone do it. (with the exception of swapping to a better spring/cam setup in general) As long as you get the proper springs to begin with, you shouldnt need to swap them every 30,000 miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonC View Post
How about posting up all the specs of the stock LS3 and L99 cams. Hopefully someone out there knows this. It would be good to see what lift, duration, LSA, overlap and installed ICL the factory cams we have are to start with.

Knowing how and why the cam specs effect performance really helps to select the right cam for your car. A smaller cam that makes "more average power" will be more enjoyable to drive for most people.

I'll be adding the specs for the L99 and the LS3 stock cams in a little bit.

and the last part that I highlighted is

a broad power curve with less peak power is more pleasant for a street/strip/dd setup. for a pure race car, you want more power in the top end, since that is where you will be spending most of the time at.
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:12 PM   #29
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky

ls3 stock cam specs posted on OP

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-30-2009, 07:01 PM   #30
usmcjlp

Drives: 2SS/RS LS3 RJT
Thank you, I will post new thread.
usmcjlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 06:53 PM   #31
tandtperformance

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2011 PACE CAR 2012 ZL1
Send a message via Yahoo to tandtperformance
iam putting my new cam and spring kit in this weds ans then will have dyno sheet
i will also be seling my kit if any int
tandtperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:02 AM   #32
GEN-IV
HEMI Hunter

Drives: 06 GTO / 79 Z28
Excellent post CamaroSpike23.

Here is a little more detail on the differences between flat tappets and roller lifters. Everyone knows that roller camshafts give a more "aggressive" valve event. The aggressiveness is a function of lift, the rate of change of lift which is velocity, and the rate of change of velocity, which is acceleration. A roller cam can be ground with a more aggessive profile because it can tolerate higher stress levels and does not have the velocity limitation that a flat tappet cam has. Flat tappet cams can be ground with high accelerations, but are velocity limited due to the diameter of the lifter. Roller camshafts are not velocity limited, but the cam profile becomes concave as accelerations increase, making them expensive to grind.

Most roller camshafts are made from hardened steel, although some are made from a specific grade of cast iron, or even powdered metal. The combination of a steel cam and a quality steel roller bearing follower allow roller cams to operate at higher stress level, typically 250,000 PSI (or 250 KSI) in production engines. Flat tappet camshafts are made from cast iron, and are limited to contact stress levels of about 140 KSI.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:08 AM   #33
GEN-IV
HEMI Hunter

Here is a little more detail on the differences between flat tappets and roller lifters. Everyone knows that roller camshafts give a more "aggressive" valve event. The aggressiveness is a function of lift, the rate of change of lift which is velocity, and the rate of change of velocity, which is acceleration. A roller cam can be ground with a more aggessive profile because it can tolerate higher stress levels and does not have the velocity limitation that a flat tappet cam has. Flat tappet cams can be ground with high accelerations, but are velocity limited due to the diameter of the lifter. Roller camshafts are not velocity limited, but the cam profile becomes concave as accelerations increase, making them expensive to grind.

Most roller camshafts are made from hardened steel, although some are made from a specific grade of cast iron, or even powdered metal. The combination of a steel cam and a quality steel roller bearing follower allow roller cams to operate at higher stress level, typically 250,000 PSI (or 250 KSI) in production engines. Flat tappet camshafts are made from cast iron, and are limited to contact stress levels of about 140 KSI.
GEN-IV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:27 PM   #34
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEN-IV View Post

thanks. your deleted post has better pics if you dont mind, im going to add them to the first post.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-10-2009, 07:58 AM   #35
GEN-IV
HEMI Hunter

No problem, glad you liked it! You can see my deleted posts? Yikes, now you can see all of my spelling errors
Old 08-10-2009, 10:39 AM   #36
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky

Quote:
No problem, glad you liked it! You can see my deleted posts? Yikes, now you can see all of my spelling errors

being a moderator has its perks.... would you mind if I un-deleted it? the info goes well with the pics.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-10-2009, 11:18 AM   #37
GEN-IV
HEMI Hunter

You can undelete it, I was just trying to point out the roller cam flank concavity issue, but that graphic works too.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:42 PM   #38
Superman09
Account SNAFU

Drives: 2013 Tahoe 79 Scout II
just an FYI on the 30K spring change, my boss (who was a former drag racer) says that changing springs every 30K was designed by companies to make money. But if you have to money to do it every 30K it wouldn't hurt but he let his run 45-50K and only replaced them because he was selling the car to a friend. Hope this helps a little bit
Old 08-19-2009, 06:27 PM   #39
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 BAD RS 2 SS View Post
NEW 2 THE FORUM ALOT OF GOOD Q AND A s .... Ive got alot of catchimg up 2 do my car is 20 days new 2 me

welcome to the site. feel free to ask questions. use the search button up top to see if it has already been discussed before. enjoy your stay here!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-20-2009, 04:26 AM   #40
PQ
1st State Chevy supporter

Drives: Hybrid SS Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
And all of MY naked stuff.

ok, checked out the thread. This looks like a lot of fun. Still would be scared to crack it open though.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:36 PM   #41
coronado89

Drives: 2010 SS F1-D procharger,
Is the LS3 cam a 3 bolt cam or a single bolt cam??
coronado89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 12:12 AM   #42
mberry023

Drives: black 2010 camaro ss
Will a larger cam like th LG Motorsports G6x3 cam effect the knock sensors?
mberry023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:48 PM   #43
LAWMAN

Drives: 2010 cam.2ss/rs.iom,07'escalade esv
just a "fyi"...first off,i am a parts manager for a chevy/cad. dealer in pascagoula ms., i have been debateing for awhile now about changeing my cam,i do not race my ls3 at the strip,and i have not raced it yet,but.....when i do,i want the ponies there,i have cai,gmpp exaust,(about to change to kooks l/t)and a tune,but gm has a performance hot cam available that will give you alot of bang for your buck($)..the ls hot cam produces 50more hp and the trq.jumps from 424 to 475,which is a 12% gain by way of 0.525 inch lift on both intake and exaust along with 219-degree/228 degree duration,not a bad investment at under $500 for the cam that adds 50 horses,
1100:12/19/08
3800:06/19/09
6000:07/02/09
LAWMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 05:31 AM   #44
se7en

Drives: 87 Pinto on 32's
Finally i have a better understanding of how a Cam works exactly!
Thanks guys
se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 07:17 AM   #45
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky

Quote:
Originally Posted by bws_82 View Post
Finally i have a better understanding of how a Cam works exactly!
Thanks guys

thats what we're here for

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-24-2010, 12:31 AM   #46
tiresmokindad

Drives: Gray
Nice information. I learned for your post. I would like to know how to about the single pattern? What is the difference with dual pattern?
tiresmokindad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:18 PM   #47
American Muscle

Drives: #26 Tom Henry Racing 2010 1SS/LS3
don't know if this has been posted on here or not but I found this on lsxtv.com. pretty good write up. http://www.lsxtv.com/forum/camshaft-101-a-2656.html
Old 08-09-2010, 04:27 PM   #48
Becca
Frog

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAWMAN View Post
just a "fyi"...first off,i am a parts manager for a chevy/cad. dealer in pascagoula ms., i have been debateing for awhile now about changeing my cam,i do not race my ls3 at the strip,and i have not raced it yet,but.....when i do,i want the ponies there,i have cai,gmpp exaust,(about to change to kooks l/t)and a tune,but gm has a performance hot cam available that will give you alot of bang for your buck($)..the ls hot cam produces 50more hp and the trq.jumps from 424 to 475,which is a 12% gain by way of 0.525 inch lift on both intake and exaust along with 219-degree/228 degree duration,not a bad investment at under $500 for the cam that adds 50 horses,

OMG...please tell me I can call my dealer and get one!!! I am so doing this when I get back from my deployment if they do!!!
...oh and awesome job on this thread...great info!!!

IYAAYAS
Becca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:07 PM   #49
spike347

Drives: 10 Camaro 2SS,RS,SIM, 6.2L , LS3
I was good with this until someone said he was going to drill a hole in the end of the cam with a hand drill???
spike347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:59 AM   #50
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiresmokindad View Post
Nice information. I learned for your post. I would like to know how to about the single pattern? What is the difference with dual pattern?

Single and Dual pattern cams

Single Pattern
In this type of cam, the intake and exhaust lobe profiles are identical, using equal amounts of duration and lift.

Dual Pattern
This type of cam has different intake and exhaust profiles. In general, the exhaust lobe will employ more lift and duration to help evacuate exhaust gas from the cylinders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike347 View Post
I was good with this until someone said he was going to drill a hole in the end of the cam with a hand drill???
where did you read that?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Quote:

Tags
cam