Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 03-17-2014, 08:29 AM   #1
RED_SS

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
1LE Sway Bars - Installed-Ish

After asking a question about putting these in my SS, I went ahead and got them from Gen5DIY. Arrived well packaged and mildy used (as advertised). I decided to start with the rear since it appeared to be easier. I was able to install on jack stands in less than an hour, had the bolts torqued and went for a drive. It was an immediate difference. I had my brother drive it as well, and he has only driven it a hand full of times and he noticed as well. Aggressive cornering has become far more stable and less roll over. I have hesitation with the front since it seems like I have to lift the engine of the mount a few inches. Is this correct. I only have 2500 miles on her and am nervous about messing with that so early. Let me know your thoughts.

I would highly recommend a sway bar swap as first suspension mod for standard SS, very happy. Here is the difference between stock SS and 1LE

Old 03-17-2014, 08:39 AM   #2
Synner

Drives: cars
Its just 2 nuts that you loosen and then raise the engine slightly which will save you a ton of cursing. If you can turn a wrench you can do it.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:03 AM   #3
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
Its just 2 nuts that you loosen and then raise the engine slightly which will save you a ton of cursing. If you can turn a wrench you can do it.
+1

My son and I spent 2hrs trying to install the front bar and just couldn't make it happen without prying on things I wasn't comfortable prying on. Lifted the engine a couple inches and they were installed 30min later. This method was recommended by Pfadt as well.

What I did was, on my jack, I put a section of 2X4 across the oil pan, making sure to hit both edges of the pan so the stress would be on vertical sides of the pan. loosen the bottom nuts of the engine mounts almost to the point of coming off. Then nuts are staring you in the face when you're under the car. Then jack the engine up till you have enough clearance. You only need a inch or two, then the bar goes in like butter.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:36 PM   #4
RED_SS

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Awesome, Ill try the front as soon as I can then. I appreciate the info.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:43 PM   #5
Dexman1349
2010 2SS/RS M6

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
+1 to the above. I made the mistake of attaching the end links before trying to snake the bar through which made things a bit more challenging, but they eventually made their way through.

Cosmetic: ZL1 front w/mailslot, painted stripes, powdercoated SS rims, tow hook, and full chrome delete

Suspension: Pfadt subframe bushings, Pfadt rear UCA bushings, Z28 Upper control arms, Spohn trailing arms with BMR trailing arm & differential bushings, ZL1 Toe Rods and springs, Prothane radius arm inserts & steering rack bushing, Pfadt Sport front sway, FE4 conversion w/ DS rear sway, Pfadt strut brace

Drivetrain: RMCR tune, CAI intake, Kooks headers, hi-flo cats & exhaust, VMAX TB, ZL1 fuel pump, LSR Tri-Ax shifter

Bumblebee Racecar Build
Dexman1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:14 PM   #6
Austin45
The Logistician

Drives: 2012 LFX 45th Anniversary
The fun part is installing the front, took two of us 6 hours