Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Cam Motion
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Road Course/Track and Autocross For road course/track and autocross discussions.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:37 PM   #101
rockrau

Drives: 2010 2ss red LS3
They are used by various organizations to be filled out by an instructor to track the drivers progress and skill level. An instructor will often read your log to get a feel on how to further coach a driver. Also used for assessing advancement. Just my $0.02.
rockrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:43 PM   #102
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 10 Legacy 2.5GT, ...
Nothing is stopping anyone from designing their own logbook for setup notes and observed car behavior. Make it as simple or as extensive/inclusive as you please.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:58 PM   #103
White_SS/RS

Drives: 14 1LE
I made my own log on an excell spreadsheet. I included tire temps, tire pressure, alignment settings, weather, fluid temps and brake temps as well. I just Print out a bunch and take them to the track. I fill one out every time the car comes off track.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:28 PM   #104
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2013 ZL1
What tire pressures (cold and hot) is everyone running?

When I was at MSR Housing last month (first track event), I was told to get the tire pressure up to prevent the sidewall flexing on the wheel. I was running at about 35 psi cold and getting up to 40. When the tires really heated up and got over 40 I dropped them back down to around 40. Honestly that sounds high to me. I didn't have any issues on the track but thought I'd see what others are doing?

I'm running the stock ZL1 wheels with the Pilot Super Sports.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:51 PM   #105
wakespeak

Drives: 2013 2SS LS3/NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro View Post
What tire pressures (cold and hot) is everyone running?

When I was at MSR Housing last month (first track event), I was told to get the tire pressure up to prevent the sidewall flexing on the wheel. I was running at about 35 psi cold and getting up to 40. When the tires really heated up and got over 40 I dropped them back down to around 40. Honestly that sounds high to me. I didn't have any issues on the track but thought I'd see what others are doing?

I'm running the stock ZL1 wheels with the Pilot Super Sports.
You can test the sidewall flex theory yourself by looking at the little Goodyear foot indicators (others have triangles, etc) on the sidewall near where the tread ends. If you are starting to wear the indicator, then more pressure needed. If not close then decrease. Your 35 series tires don't have much sidewall, so if the track made a blanket statement, this may not apply to you.

I was told to run slightly less by the track instructors because the center of wider tires would bulge as psi went up.

I have been asking the same questions and most have responded that they target hot pressures around 36 psi. 40 psi hot is going to be my max I think. It depends on the tire and aspect ratio of course, along with alignment.

Edit Michelins have the Michelin man for the side treadwear see: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=356787&page=2

Last edited by wakespeak; 06-30-2014 at 09:17 PM.
wakespeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:14 PM   #106
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
36~37 hot is where you want to be. 40 is getting to high & will cause the tread patch to get too greasy & you will start sliding around

I am running the f1 supercars
Old 07-18-2014, 09:17 PM   #107
Jbrick11

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Convertible
This may be a dumb question. If you wreck on the track or someone else runs into you does insurance cover the damages? I really want to go to a track day but a little nervous about damage outside of my control.
Jbrick11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 10:30 PM   #108
White_SS/RS

Drives: 14 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbrick11 View Post
This may be a dumb question. If you wreck on the track or someone else runs into you does insurance cover the damages? I really want to go to a track day but a little nervous about damage outside of my control.
Good question! I've run with some groups that their policy is if you damage someone else's car you are responsible to get with that individual and come to an agreement on repairing/paying for damages. Your not allowed to continue tracking with that group until it's resolved.

Some insurance companies will pay if the event is considered a school. Their thinking is you become a better, safer driver; however most insurance companies will not cover your car at all if it's on a surface intended for racing. Check your policy it will usually say if it doesn't.

There is track day insurance available at a cost from a few companies. Do a search for track day insurance or I'm sure someone will post a link or name a company shortly.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:42 PM   #109
tw78911sc

Drives: 14 1SS Camaro 1LE, NPP, Recaros
you also pay for repairs to any damages of the track, unloading motor oil on the track, bending armco, tire wall repairs, painting walls.... I was a event leader with a club and had to hand a guy a $300 kitty litter bill as he was loading up his race car that just vented his motor on the straight. Felt pretty bad having to do it, but it wan't coming out of my pocket. HPDE insurance is the way to go. I've never heard about damages to another car, I always assumed you took the risk when your drove it on the track.
tw78911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 03:51 PM   #110
owhite3003
Z-BEAST

Drives: 2013 JDP ZL-850 Track Spec ZL1
A lot of killer info on this page. Love the videos and the advice.
owhite3003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 02:28 PM   #111
STONE SS

Drives: 2010 SS IOM
Thanks for starting this thread guys! It has some really good info. As far as the conversation on brakes that is by far the #1 thing to do before a track day. I had my first HPDE Feb 7-8th at TWS and had a blast, but my brakes faded and I had to drive to the brakes capabilities and not my own. I was running HP+ in the front and HPS in the rear, RBF600 fluid, and 2 piece rotors front one piece slotted rear. My issue was the pads just couldn't handle the heat at all. I had these pads on the car for less than 2 months and they were completely gone by the end of the weekend. I have since gotten XP10/XP8s to run at the track and factory brembo pads for street. Brake ducts and stainless lines will be installed before next event as well. All the suspension or HP changes you can make wont do a thing if you don't feel comfortable pushing the car cause of brake fade.

Another good tip that I found somewhere else in the forums that I used to adjust camber at track was to get the bolts for the front knuckle that go against the strut and used two nuts to lock together so I could mark the street camber before maxing out the strut adjustment. Put the bolt back in and adjusted the strut back against the bolt before heading home. Simple method when you can't afford the camber plates yet.
STONE SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 02:40 PM   #112
Merc
COTW 12/5/11

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
Change out your brake fluid for a high tempature race type break fluid and run your LS3 slightly over filled. I run and extra 1/3 quart.

Old 02-19-2015, 02:12 PM   #113
RubyCamaro
SSlayer

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
This is a Good news, bad news thread. Great information & very helpful, BUT..............Every time I read stuff like this I get scared off. My club guys keep saying, come on, you'll love it, you can do it. I get excited again & start planning to go to an event. Then I read stuff like this again & think about what all I need to do to get me & my car ready, all the stuff that can go wrong and.........................scared off again. My husband is terified for me to do stuff like this. As soon as I start telling him the things in this thread I need to do to get ready, he will start his fussing again too. I just don't know guys.
Old 02-19-2015, 02:20 PM   #114
STONE SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post
This is a Good news, bad news thread. Great information & very helpful, BUT..............Every time I read stuff like this I get scared off. My club guys keep saying, come on, you'll love it, you can do it. I get excited again & start planning to go to an event. Then I read stuff like this again & think about what all I need to do to get me & my car ready, all the stuff that can go wrong and.........................scared off again. My husband is terified for me to do stuff like this. As soon as I start telling him the things in this thread I need to do to get ready, he will start his fussing again too. I just don't know guys.
You shouldn't let anything in this thread scare you from going to an HPDE event! To be perfectly honest more things can go wrong driving your car in normal everyday situations than it will on a track. People on a track are paying attention to what they are doing unlike people on public roads. I felt much safer on the track then I did on the drive home and since!

As far as things you need to do to prepare you can get by with changing the brake fluid to a higher temp fluid and better pads. These things are normal maintenance items anyway. I changed my fluid to Motul RBF600 within a couple months of owning my car and didn't track it until 2 years later. (Wish I had sooner!)

If it is really something you want to do then don't let anything hold you back. Most men give in to their wives wants anyway. HAHA
Old 02-19-2015, 02:37 PM   #115
SPCBA
Blake

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Quote:
Honestly, brake fluid and go. It's great drivers Ed, it's fun as hell, the track community is phenominal like how car shows used to be.

Get a good helmet, change the brake fluid, check tires are rated for speed and load. I would recommend brake pads that can handle heat, but most folks arent pushing car that hard in a lead follow first day situation. Take some tools like air guage and basic tool set, take a large ice chest with WATER, top off coolants and change oil before bring extra of said fluids and water. Drink water drink water drink water. Ohh and don't take naps in the bed of your truck with out some gnarly sun screen. Done that more times than I should have.

Goodluck and enjoy
Old 02-19-2015, 03:50 PM   #116
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by STONE SS View Post
You shouldn't let anything in this thread scare you from going to an HPDE event! To be perfectly honest more things can go wrong driving your car in normal everyday situations than it will on a track. People on a track are paying attention to what they are doing unlike people on public roads. I felt much safer on the track then I did on the drive home and since!

As far as things you need to do to prepare you can get by with changing the brake fluid to a higher temp fluid and better pads. These things are normal maintenance items anyway. I changed my fluid to Motul RBF600 within a couple months of owning my car and didn't track it until 2 years later. (Wish I had sooner!)

If it is really something you want to do then don't let anything hold you back. Most men give in to their wives wants anyway. HAHA
Absolutely agree, especially about the people paying more attention. Def change your brake fluid out, better pads would be good but NOT a must unless you're really going to push it hard.

One of our club members owns a Z/28 and she came out to our last track day, it was her first time and she did fine. Granted she wasn't blazing the corners and flying into braking zones but as someone that has never tracked a car that isn't surprising. Just do what you're comfortable with and you will get hooked. Trust me. Biggest money pit I have ever been involved with though!
Old 02-19-2015, 04:17 PM   #117
STONE SS

Quote:
Absolutely agree, especially about the people paying more attention. Def change your brake fluid out, better pads would be good but NOT a must unless you're really going to push it hard.

One of our club members owns a Z/28 and she came out to our last track day, it was her first time and she did fine. Granted she wasn't blazing the corners and flying into braking zones but as someone that has never tracked a car that isn't surprising. Just do what you're comfortable with and you will get hooked. Trust me. Biggest money pit I have ever been involved with though!
BaylorCamaro,

You gonna head out to TWS for the last event in May?
Old 02-19-2015, 04:20 PM   #118
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Quote:
BaylorCamaro,

You gonna head out to TWS for the last event in May?
With The Drivers Edge? I fully intend to, I have a track day May 15, the day before registration opens for TWS. So as long I keep the Z out of a wall I should be there.
Old 02-19-2015, 04:23 PM   #119
STONE SS

Quote:
With The Drivers Edge? I fully intend to, I have a track day May 15, the day before registration opens for TWS. So as long I keep the Z out of a wall I should be there.
Oh, no I am going to do the one directly through TWS PDS. It's May 2nd & 3rd. Was hoping I would get to check out the Z. If not were you on that thread for the driveway Austin one?
Old 02-19-2015, 04:34 PM   #120
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Quote:
Oh, no I am going to do the one directly through TWS PDS. It's May 2nd & 3rd. Was hoping I would get to check out the Z. If not were you on that thread for the driveway Austin one?
ahhh gotcha. I was considering doing it through the PDS but The Drivers Edge tracks at multiple tracks throughout Texas, including my home track MSR Houston. So it is more advantageous for me to track through them as it will allow me more exposure to their classes and eventually I'll be in the Solo group.

I was thinking about doing Driveway Austin, however the Texas World event through The Drivers Edge is the same date (May 16-17), so that's where I'll be.

If you're interested in track days my club rents out Grandsport (1 mile rack track) every quarter. The track is rented out to only our club for the entire day and we cap the cars at 15-20. This is open to all cars not just Camaro's. Our next event is March 15, $200 per driver and it's basically an open track, run as much as you want.

It's a small track but definitely worth the price, especially since you can run as much as you want.

Old 02-19-2015, 04:34 PM   #121
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Seems every time I go to a HPDE I end up loaning somebody some blue painters tape or a mallet....Then I get home and realize they never returned the tools back....Maybe I'll just start hiding my stuff. lol
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Reservoir kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 5% Under drive Pulley, Dash-Logic controller, 3m Clear Bra, ZL1 Mirror inserts, GM Interior Ambient lighting, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, Carbon Fiber Bow ties front & rear, ZL1 DRL lighting harness.

KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 10:10 PM   #122
wakespeak

Drives: 2013 2SS LS3/NPP
Hi guys I will be at TWS with Drivers Edge the last weekend (2/28) this month. Anyone else?
Old 02-20-2015, 06:03 AM   #123
TLSTWIN

Quote:
You should have a respectful fear, but not a terrifying fear. 99% of the time you'll be fine.

Brake fluid & go is NOT all you need to do ( i know SPCBA touched on more). Depending on your miles of your car, yous should check your brake pads to ensure you have enough pad life left, you have to drive home after the event as well.

Tire tread should be checked as well, each event is a little different has to how thorough they are on inspection. if you get to an event & your tires are almost gone, they won't let you on, AND THEY SHOULDN'T.

If you have a "weird sound" or a "noise" that you haven't had before, get it looked at if you can't do it yourself.

YOU DONT NEED TO FEAR THESE EVENTS, BUT YOU DO NEED TO RESPECT THEM. You a
er potentially pushing the car to the braking & traction limits based on your ability.

JUST HAVE FUN
Old 02-20-2015, 08:40 AM   #124
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSTWIN View Post
Brake fluid & go is NOT all you need to do ( i know SPCBA touched on more). Depending on your miles of your car, yous should check your brake pads to ensure you have enough pad life left, you have to drive home after the event as well.

Tire tread should be checked as well, each event is a little different has to how thorough they are on inspection. if you get to an event & your tires are almost gone, they won't let you on, AND THEY SHOULDN'T.
Fair things to point out and reinforce. But I feel like any car enthusiast would know to check the life on their consumables. In OEM format the car would be OK to track, with the exception of brake fluid which I think is what most people were meaning.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:02 AM   #125
TLSTWIN

Quote:
Fair things to point out and reinforce. But I feel like any car enthusiast would know to check the life on their consumables. In OEM format the car would be OK to track, with the exception of brake fluid which I think is what most people were meaning.
Yep. completely agree, but some still run ZL1s & 1LEs with oem brake fluid. so I try not to assume people "know" what to check.

Tags
brakes, hpde, road course