Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Apex Paul
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics Discussions related to the 5th gen Camaro Z/28 model

Old 03-28-2014, 08:49 PM   #51
Col. Brain

Drives: 2012 Ram 1980 Malibu
Quote:
Originally Posted by b4z View Post
if you put that kind of cam in it most of the drivability would disappear.

explain

because i know Katech has a cam or two that they use for road race cars that make about 520whp.

The Z/28 dynod at 426

Where would the problem be at? Katech had their hands in helping design the LS7. They had their hands in Corvette Racing.
It is well known that these LS motors have small cams in them for emissions reasons
Col. Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:08 PM   #52
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINALLYSATISFIED View Post
I wonder what the ratio of people who want a drag strip car or track car are?
I think your question is irrelevant. I think GM has a pretty fair idea of who's going to buy the car, and why, and when. And I'm sure a few will actually try the 1/4-mile experience.

BTW, they build 69 COPOs a year. They'll build quite a few MORE Z/28s...

Thanks for your interest.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:21 PM   #53
GMUSA#1

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
Here is the video by Motortrend for those interested in watching what was said.

Enjoy!

Brent
GMUSA#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:47 PM   #54
Zslash28

Drives: 72 F100/75 Duster/79 Z28/80 F-Bird
Why on earth would someone want to drag race this car? There are two very obvious Camaros to choose as drag strip cars. Bury the idea of all of the 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th gen Zs that have been put on the strip as a reason for this car to be there. Sure you had stand outs that were road raced, none reached the refinement and engineering in this 5th gen Z/28. You will always see more of the previous gens at the strip, your just will not see a dedicated 5Z/28 raced competitively on the strip.
Zslash28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:13 AM   #55
nbrigdan

Drives: '12 S550, '10 WRX, '13 SS
I'll say what I said in the other thread:

Loved the review. Great to see it doing so well. My only problem was that the Porsche (and GT-R, but not so much) were on such crap tires. I realize they are the stock ones, but the Turbo S, PZeros, really? Those are really bad in terms of ultra high performance tires nowadays. They were good when they were new, but the same design has been kicking around for what, the better half of a decade? I guess I am more mad at Porsche for using tires that really are limiting the performance of the car. Especially compared to the awesome tires on the Z/28, it's no surprise the Turbo S was slower. Porsche really has no excuse as their specially developed N0 Michelin Sport Cup 2s come in the exact same size as the OE tires on the Turbo (same size as the GT3). Also they could go less extreme and run a Michelin PSS, which also comes in the exact same size. The PSS has better grip, dry and wet, better tread wear rating, and less road noise than the PZero.

As for the GT-R, the Dunlops are very good tires, but Hankook Ventus R-S3s would deliver significantly better dry track performance. And again the PSS would be a better all around tire, better wet grip, more predictable and better road feel.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:06 AM   #56
newmoon

Drives: 2012 5.0 Mustang, Brembo Track Pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbrigdan View Post
I'll say what I said in the other thread:

Loved the review. Great to see it doing so well. My only problem was that the Porsche (and GT-R, but not so much) were on such crap tires. I realize they are the stock ones, but the Turbo S, PZeros, really? Those are really bad in terms of ultra high performance tires nowadays. They were good when they were new, but the same design has been kicking around for what, the better half of a decade? I guess I am more mad at Porsche for using tires that really are limiting the performance of the car. Especially compared to the awesome tires on the Z/28, it's no surprise the Turbo S was slower. Porsche really has no excuse as their specially developed N0 Michelin Sport Cup 2s come in the exact same size as the OE tires on the Turbo (same size as the GT3). Also they could go less extreme and run a Michelin PSS, which also comes in the exact same size. The PSS has better grip, dry and wet, better tread wear rating, and less road noise than the PZero.

As for the GT-R, the Dunlops are very good tires, but Hankook Ventus R-S3s would deliver significantly better dry track performance. And again the PSS would be a better all around tire, better wet grip, more predictable and better road feel.

Really? Please stop making excuses well if this happened, or that happened, if he/she had been driving. Bottom line is the Z/28 is wicked fast on the track and it surprised the self proclaimed kings at this particular track anyways. Get over it and enjoy watching the progression of the Camaro.
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2012 Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:49 AM   #57
khell86

Drives: 2012 Ford Focus
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
Really? Please stop making excuses well if this happened, or that happened, if he/she had been driving. Bottom line is the Z/28 is wicked fast on the track and it surprised the self proclaimed kings at this particular track anyways. Get over it and enjoy watching the progression of the Camaro.
I think the camaro did a great job, but the way MT went about this test was a little whack. The fact that the camaro was allowed to drop psi in its tires and then make more laps in order to lower its time, while its not mentioned if that was done for the other 2 cars, is just bad testing.

In the end though none of this matters once the new Z06 comes out lol.
khell86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:25 AM   #58
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
Quote:
Originally Posted by khell86 View Post
I think the camaro did a great job, but the way MT went about this test was a little whack. The fact that the camaro was allowed to drop psi in its tires and then make more laps in order to lower its time, while its not mentioned if that was done for the other 2 cars, is just bad testing.
It wasn't a "setting the car's up for the track test", it was a test. How do you know lowering pressure in the tires of the other two cars would not have made them slower? Some cars and tires respond better to higher pressures.

It wasn't the job of the testers, nor the intent of the story to tune the cars to the track.
The Camaro had representatives there who offered a suggestion on the pressures.

It is what it is.

Quote:
The Z06 that will use the Z/28's new brakes? Coming out in a year? Oh yeah, that one, right

Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:35 AM   #59
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
z28 is definately a fast track car. It runs on super sticky 305 series race tires front and rear.
Take nothing away from the Z28, but it definately comes from the factory with a tire advantage over the other cars.

As mentioned by many others, the new Z06 will almost for sure run faster track times than the Z28.

And the comment about the stock SS being terrible kind of brings the article down a bit in excitement for many Camaro owners.
Very few people in this forum or anywhere will own a Z28, where as most of us own a basic SS.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:14 AM   #60
Red Chief

Drives: 2012 v6 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post
z28 is definately a fast track car. It runs on super sticky 305 series race tires front and rear.
Take nothing away from the Z28, but it definately comes from the factory with a tire advantage over the other cars.
I'm still trying to understand this line of thinking. They were comparing stock vs. stock. Not "after I pay WAY more for this other car I'll go buy better tires for it too".

While you're doing that I'll just go ahead and put a supercharger in the z/28 and we'll see how it does.
Red Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:46 AM   #61
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Chief View Post
I'm still trying to understand this line of thinking. They were comparing stock vs. stock. Not "after I pay WAY more for this other car I'll go buy better tires for it too".

While you're doing that I'll just go ahead and put a supercharger in the z/28 and we'll see how it does.
And then tune the other car's suspension to those new tires as well...

Thank you for pointing out THE OBVIOUS to those who keep repeating the same tired f'ing thing over and over and over.

It was what it was...let it go for f*ck's sake! Chevy built and tuned the Z/28 around a specific tire for a specific purpose, what does it take for some posters to get their head around that? Is it that hard to comprehend? Apparently so

Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:35 AM   #62
khell86

Drives: 2012 Ford Focus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfatuated View Post
It wasn't a "setting the car's up for the track test", it was a test. How do you know lowering pressure in the tires of the other two cars would not have made them slower? Some cars and tires respond better to higher pressures.

It wasn't the job of the testers, nor the intent of the story to tune the cars to the track.
The Camaro had representatives there who offered a suggestion on the pressures.

It is what it is.

The Z06 that will use the Z/28's new brakes? Coming out in a year? Oh yeah, that one, right
C'mon man everyone knows that once the tires heat up its better to lower the pressure.
khell86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:43 AM   #63
Front Runner
Edge of Insanity

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfatuated View Post
Chevy built and tuned the Z/28 around a specific tire for a specific purpose,
This, I completely agree with. They did and did it well. The Z/28 is an awesome track (road course) car.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:50 AM   #64
Front Runner
Edge of Insanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post

As mentioned by many others, the new Z06 will almost for sure run faster track times than the Z28.
There is no "almost" to it. It will definitely run faster times around the track. The 2015 Z06 will truly be approaching supercar status if not take the claim openly.

The Z/28 is in a different class, so to compare the Z/28 to the Z06 is comparing apples to oranges IMO.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:34 AM   #65
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
it's simply a GREAT TIME to be a Camaro Enthusiast.

One year ago we unveiled the car at NY - and we had so very many nay-sayers......

.........and then we announced the price and people had fits.......and we told you that you'd be blown away by the performance.

Well -- that day is here..........and the results are in magazines on the news stands.

For those of you who "kept the faith" -- many many many thanks from "Team Camaro" --
Old 03-29-2014, 11:42 AM   #66
Mikebrinda

Drives: Ferrari F430 Spider F1 Azzurro Arge
Quote:

Remind me again, where does the 3rd and 4th passenger sit in the Z06?

Exactly. But the Camaro engineers said, "Bring any car you want to the test." They had no fear.

It is a complement that a legitimate four-passenger seating vehicle is in the same track performance conversation with the Z06. But it's a pretty dim bulb that celebrates any two-seater's relatively marginal edge over a four-seater. This is especially true when the price differential of some cars and the Z/28 (or Shelby) is added into the conversation.
Mikebrinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:35 PM   #67
nbrigdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
Haha I guess some people can't take criticism. I'm not making excuses, I'm pointing out the obvious... I mean the cars (specifically the Porsche and Z/28) don't even come close to competing in the same segment so the test is pretty irrelevant, but it is funny to see how defensive people get when you point out an obvious flaw in the test.. As I said in my first statement, I love the Z/28 so I'm not knocking it at all, just pointing out some things from the other side of the table.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:45 PM   #68
G-Oil Guy
Where am I?

Drives: Zoe the ZL1, 2012 Frontier
I love the video.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...sQn9fzxstRZzqj
Old 03-29-2014, 02:57 PM   #69
bionick

Drives: 2012 Camaro LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SLVRBULIT View Post
This...the Z06 will be the GM gold std track car(as it should be).
From what I have read the new ZR1 will even be better than the new Z06, since the ZR1 is the top corvette
Factory Reproductions 20x10 ZL1 Satin Replica wheels, Nitto Motivo 275/40r20, 6000K HID kit, Hurst Shift Knob, GM Shifter Boot, Diode Dynamics Stage 3 LED Fog Lights, Blacked out Tail Lights/Side Markers, Vinyl Side Gills, Rally Stripes, Black Bowties.
bionick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:37 PM   #70
Bhobbs

Drives: 1998 Camaro Z28, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by bionick View Post
From what I have read the new ZR1 will even be better than the new Z06, since the ZR1 is the top corvette
There is no new ZR1.
Bhobbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:14 PM   #71
doc7000

Drives: 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
People are sitting there and stating things like put these tires on that car and watch who is faster....

When cars are being setup they set them up using the tires that the car will be produced with, so changing tires can/will upset the factory stock balance of the car. So putting tires with more grip like lets say the 305s on the ZL1 Camaro wouldn't be the best move, sure it will go a bit faster however driving dynamics would deteriorate over what it currently is.

A great example of this would be the Scion FRS, I can't remember what publication did this but they took the car with its stock Toyota Prius tires and tried different performance tires. With the best tires the car was much faster around the track however had a good deal of body roll introduced to the car. At this point they would have to go to the after market for suspension components that were more in line with the better tires.

To summarize auto makers will either have a new tire developed along with their new vehicle or tune the car around an existing tire (as what they did with the Z/28).
doc7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:19 PM   #72
Front Runner
Edge of Insanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionick View Post
Um........ what new ZR1?

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/14/c...not-happening/
Old 03-29-2014, 06:31 PM   #73
Col. Brain

Drives: 2012 Ram 1980 Malibu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
There is no new ZR1.
So far

I could see GM giving the Corvette team the type of opening the Z/28 team had with the ZR1

build a world beater at the end of the C7's life no punches pulled etc

The Z06 will be one heck of a car. But it has a blower on it. The ZL1 guys have had issues with heat
Col. Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:52 PM   #74
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

Drives: A Z06 or a 2015 1LE?
You're a Camaro Owner getting on a Mustang Owner...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbrigdan View Post
Haha I guess some people can't take criticism. I'm not making excuses, I'm pointing out the obvious... I mean the cars (specifically the Porsche and Z/28) don't even come close to competing in the same segment so the test is pretty irrelevant, but it is funny to see how defensive people get when you point out an obvious flaw in the test.. As I said in my first statement, I love the Z/28 so I'm not knocking it at all, just pointing out some things from the other side of the table.
You're a Camaro Owner getting on a Mustang Owner for supporting a Camaro on a Camaro forum???
Old 03-29-2014, 11:39 PM   #75
nbrigdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc7000 View Post
People are sitting there and stating things like put these tires on that car and watch who is faster....

When cars are being setup they set them up using the tires that the car will be produced with, so changing tires can/will upset the factory stock balance of the car. So putting tires with more grip like lets say the 305s on the ZL1 Camaro wouldn't be the best move, sure it will go a bit faster however driving dynamics would deteriorate over what it currently is.

A great example of this would be the Scion FRS, I can't remember what publication did this but they took the car with its stock Toyota Prius tires and tried different performance tires. With the best tires the car was much faster around the track however had a good deal of body roll introduced to the car. At this point they would have to go to the after market for suspension components that were more in line with the better tires.

To summarize auto makers will either have a new tire developed along with their new vehicle or tune the car around an existing tire (as what they did with the Z/28).
I have heard this argument many times, but I have many strong disagreements with it. You don't see anyone complaining about a lack of balance in a ZL1 after they changed to PSS, or on the C6 Grand Sport. Also, with either of those cars when more power is introduced they both respond well, it doesn't upset the balance, so the theory that the car is set up so precisely that a positive change in tire grip would have negative effect, to me at least, is hard to fathom. I have also read many reviews of the BRZ and the effect of aftermarket wheels/tires, and from what I read, the only downside (when sticking to factory sizes) was that you noticed the huge lack of power in the car because it actually had grip now.

Most, if not all manufacturers, mainly pick wheel/tire combos out of price, convenience, and target performance, that's the reason why PZero's are on so many cars, they practically give them away to manufacturers and they provide OK grip, etc.

Right, slap a set of the Z/28 tires on a ZL1 and watch the performance gap close, slap a set of Sport Cup 2s on a Turbo S and again watch it eat into the GT3s territory. Manufacturers are very careful about protecting their own sales, and so that's why all cars pretty much are restrained from the factory.

Now back to the Turbo S, when it's clear as day that the PZero is a significantly worse tire than the PSS, and the car isn't purposefully lacking grip like the FR-S, a better tire is going to make a noticeable, positive difference in everything from road feel to lap times. I mean look at our cars, the first thing I did was switch to a Michelin PSS and it was a night and day difference in feel and performance!

So I guess I respectfully, strongly disagree :P