Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Solo Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics Discussions related to the 5th gen Camaro Z/28 model

Old 03-29-2014, 11:46 PM   #76
nbrigdan

Drives: '12 S550, '10 WRX, '13 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
You're a Camaro Owner getting on a Mustang Owner for supporting a Camaro on a Camaro forum???
Ya I'm going to be critical of anyone if their argument is "wack" for lack of a better term. I don't care what side of the fence you are on, to me it's more important why you sit there. I mean ignoring a clear problem with the testing just to bump our own chests... The reason that the Z/28 is so fast is because they didn't faslely inflate their own abilities, actually knowing where your opponent stands and where they are going in the future is going to help you a lot more than downplaying their ability :P
Old 03-30-2014, 07:54 AM   #77
GRAHL
workaholic

Drives: 69 SS Lemans Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
it's simply a GREAT TIME to be a Camaro Enthusiast.

One year ago we unveiled the car at NY - and we had so very many nay-sayers......

.........and then we announced the price and people had fits.......and we told you that you'd be blown away by the performance.

Well -- that day is here..........and the results are in magazines on the news stands.

For those of you who "kept the faith" -- many many many thanks from "Team Camaro" --

Old 03-31-2014, 06:37 AM   #78
davidcroft
Sellin Chevy's since '06

Drives: 2014 SS sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr2014ss View Post
He called the Ss terrible car ....
As much as I hate to say it, I KNOW EXACTLY what he's talking about. FE3 suspended Camaros(10&11 SS cars) drive so much different than FE4 suspended Camaros(12+ SS cars). FE6 suspended cars (1LE) build off the FE4 cars and it's a NIGHT and DAY step for each level up. I had an FE4 (12 SS) and my neighbor had an FE3 car. The FE3 car felt sloppy and unpredictable in corners. Then I traded my 12 SS for a 13 1LE and I thought my 12 SS was junk.

The 5th Gen has undergone many changes in it's existence. The competition is fierce, but Chevy has beaten the American competition so bad....we're chasing foreign brands. The 5th Gen is truly a world class car
davidcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:41 AM   #79
Orange Crush 1LE

Drives: 2013 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcroft View Post
As much as I hate to say it, I KNOW EXACTLY what he's talking about. FE3 suspended Camaros(10&11 SS cars) drive so much different than FE4 suspended Camaros(12+ SS cars). FE6 suspended cars (1LE) build off the FE4 cars and it's a NIGHT and DAY step for each level up. I had an FE4 (12 SS) and my neighbor had an FE3 car. The FE3 car felt sloppy and unpredictable in corners. Then I traded my 12 SS for a 13 1LE and I thought my 12 SS was junk.

The 5th Gen has undergone many changes in it's existence. The competition is fierce, but Chevy has beaten the American competition so bad....we're chasing foreign brands. The 5th Gen is truly a world class car
Agree 100%, the SS initially was not very good on the track until they improved the suspension design. The good news is that those with FE3 suspension can upgrade to FE4 or better, and anyone that wants to track hard would benefit greatly from that upgrade.
Willow Springs Raceway, 1:33.78: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343624
Buttonwillow Raceway, 1:57.47: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=354128
Orange Crush 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:14 AM   #80
doc7000

Drives: 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
seeing all of the rage on the youtube channel is just funny, however a lot of that has to do with car mags parroting the same message. Pretty much because all of the car mags said that AWD and DCT was the way of the future and that no car without that can win.

Also the Nissan GTR when it first came out ended up being overly hyped, don't get me wrong the car has amazing performance and Nissan has done a good job improving the car. However the more recent reviews have pointed out issues that have been there from the very start one being that the car makes a lot of non cool car noises. Also the car seems to love to under steer....

Also with the cars performance I have come to the conclusion that its real performance comes down to two things. One being the DCT transmission that it uses and the other being a really stiff suspension tune from the factory. After all the AWD system doesn't seem to be that much more sophisticated then the R34 GTR cars so I doubt that its amazing performance is coming from its AWD system (though it certainly contributes).
doc7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:40 AM   #81
RallyellowRS

Drives: 2012 2LT RS
Watching that gave me goose bumps.
RallyellowRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:47 AM   #82
gen=5

Drives: 13 ZL1 vert blac fastlane/LPE 750
Well we are all beating our chests over a Camaro(and should be) that maybe 5% of the forum can either afford or will decide to get because it is such a track car,and not suited for DD..Although some complain over its cost,I say for the price its a winner !!!
So yes it cost so much less than Super cars it can beat on a road course,and yes it beat both of these car on this track,but we are talking by such a small amount,and with pro drivers...I would think that if it was joe AVG driving them,(not even a weekend racer) the Camaro may not come out ahead,as a all wheel drive car is much easier to drive than a rwd beast..
When it comes to all around,and doing everything the AWD track car is a much better over all car if you take into account DD,quarter mile times,track times,comfort,and build quality....
Did the Z28 do it without A/C ,and a radio ? The other cars come with those standard,and also have a higher comfort level as a DD car....
Although the Z28 is built as a track car,and when it comes to that and that alone for which it was built for,it is king !!! In this country,but outside its king buy only a small amount,but a win is win...So I say pick up your red white ,and blue and wave it high Chevy good job !!!!
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=346589 CHECK OUT THE BUILDING OF MY RANCH FOR DISABLED VETS, COMPLETE WITH A GUN RANGE &, PAINT BALL COURSE coming...garage for car shows,and a workout & rehab center hopfull
gen=5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:27 PM   #83
gen=5

Drives: 13 ZL1 vert blac fastlane/LPE 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zslash28 View Post
Why on earth would someone want to drag race this car? There are two very obvious Camaros to choose as drag strip cars. Bury the idea of all of the 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th gen Zs that have been put on the strip as a reason for this car to be there. Sure you had stand outs that were road raced, none reached the refinement and engineering in this 5th gen Z/28. You will always see more of the previous gens at the strip, your just will not see a dedicated 5Z/28 raced competitively on the strip.
Sorry you can not say for sure,that someone is not going to be drag racing a Z28 on the strip....How can you speak for all of the owners...
There is already ,a turbo kit for it,and a S/C kit for it, there is already a ton of NA up grades for the motor....most V-8 Camaro owners sooner or later go to the strip, There will be tuner shops that decide to add a extra 200 hp,and show what it can do at the strip,as that's how 85% of all of them show off their work....
I am willing to bet someone will show up with 800hp-1000hp under the hood sooner or later...
When the Zl1 first came, Did you also think that no one would ever think to remove the top half of the LSA in it,and add TT...I bet not...I would of not thought so. Its impossible to say that no one is going to build up,a Z28 and take it to the strip...AFTER ALL its a camaro and most like to show off how fast it is...
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=346589 CHECK OUT THE BUILDING OF MY RANCH FOR DISABLED VETS, COMPLETE WITH A GUN RANGE &, PAINT BALL COURSE coming...garage for car shows,and a workout & rehab center hopfull
gen=5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:20 PM   #84
doc7000

Drives: 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen=5 View Post
Well we are all beating our chests over a Camaro(and should be) that maybe 5% of the forum can either afford or will decide to get because it is such a track car,and not suited for DD..Although some complain over its cost,I say for the price its a winner !!!
So yes it cost so much less than Super cars it can beat on a road course,and yes it beat both of these car on this track,but we are talking by such a small amount,and with pro drivers...I would think that if it was joe AVG driving them,(not even a weekend racer) the Camaro may not come out ahead,as a all wheel drive car is much easier to drive than a rwd beast..
When it comes to all around,and doing everything the AWD track car is a much better over all car if you take into account DD,quarter mile times,track times,comfort,and build quality....
Did the Z28 do it without A/C ,and a radio ? The other cars come with those standard,and also have a higher comfort level as a DD car....
Although the Z28 is built as a track car,and when it comes to that and that alone for which it was built for,it is king !!! In this country,but outside its king buy only a small amount,but a win is win...So I say pick up your red white ,and blue and wave it high Chevy good job !!!!
Actually from many later reviews they complain about refinement issues with the Nissan GTR and state that they have always been there. So I am not completely sure I would agree with you on quality issues however the Porsche and Nissan GTR are going to be better daily drivers....

Here is my counter point, at one point in time people purchased sports cars to be just that sports cars. Now it seems like almost no one really makes a sports car and instead of varying degree of a GT car with different levels of luxury. Does a sports car really have to be a great car to drive every day? nothing wrong with a sports car that is a great car to drive every day. However one must consider that you do not get something for nothing, in many cases the cars end up costing more and being more complex (as well as heavier). Though if going by what automakers currently build no one really wants a pure sports car anymore. Or is this a case of automakers not making pure sports cars and as a result no one can buy one (because there is a lack of them on the market).

Its the old Corvette vs Thunderbird, while the Thunderbird gained a back seat and got bigger and bigger (with sale increasing) the Corvette didn't. Does making the Porsche 911 more of a GT car mean that they will sell more cars to those who want more luxury?. Does that increase in sales really merit a change in the mission statement of a mark vs creating a new mark to fill the niche?. Should GM considering making a 4 door/4 seat luxury GT Corvette (ala Aston Martin Rapide) or should they leave that niche to be filled by a Cadillac?.

Then it comes back to where should GM take the sixth generation and to get there you first have to start at the 5th generation car. The biggest issue with the 5th generation Camaro is weight and this comes from a choice made by Holden when developing the chassis. As a selling point to the public they wanted their Commodore and Caprice to be safer then Big Mercedes on market there. This is the big problem with platform sharing as different companies put different demands on the chassis which are not completely compatible. As a result of this GM was developing the Camaro on the Zeta platform with a performance handicap.

The alpha platform seems to have been produced with a greater emphasis on light weight and improving performance. Even with the base 2.5L ATS sedan coming in at 3,315 pounds GM acknowledge that they could have cut weight further however wouldn't have been acceptable for an entry level performance luxury sedan. With that taken in mind and with the next Camaro stated to use the ATS sedan wheel base could we see a heavier V-6 engine weight countered by less refinement being acceptable for the Camaro?. Will the base weight of the ATS V-6 of 3,461 pounds be a good indicator as to how much the next Camaro will come in at?.
doc7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:02 PM   #85
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: ZL1#206 (Sold) 6th Gen!?
Quote:
it's simply a GREAT TIME to be a Camaro Enthusiast.

One year ago we unveiled the car at NY - and we had so very many nay-sayers......

.........and then we announced the price and people had fits.......and we told you that you'd be blown away by the performance.

Well -- that day is here..........and the results are in magazines on the news stands.

For those of you who "kept the faith" -- many many many thanks from "Team Camaro" --
So you build a car that most consumers will not own and you want a pat on the back because you built a dedicated track car with a $75K price tag? Hmm. Kudos for building a road course car.
I've been with this 5th Gen journey since 2009 and I'm sorry you lost me hence why I no longer own one. I guess since I purchased 5, 5th Gens and every trim level pretty much I no longer kept the faith. :( Shame on me. I held my breath long enough to think an afford Z28 would be offered, and I was wrong.

Let me know when you produce the Z28 without the slash. Until then ill look to see what the 6th has to offer.
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:49 PM   #86
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
I've asked you multiple times what th Z28 is to you but you never answer. By the fact that you have owned 5 5th gens and still aren't happy, I can tell you will never be happy with the 5th gen. I highly doubt building a Z28 would do it because the SS basically is the Z28 and the 1LE improves upon it.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:36 PM   #87
Bad@ssCamaro
Ist State Chevy Supporter

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
I've asked you multiple times what th Z28 is to you but you never answer. By the fact that you have owned 5 5th gens and still aren't happy, I can tell you will never be happy with the 5th gen. I highly doubt building a Z28 would do it because the SS basically is the Z28 and the 1LE improves upon it.
1976 LT Black/White 305 V8 (Bone Stock) except for Cragar chrome rims (yep - #2)
1985 Z-28 Black/Black 305 L69 M5(Bone Stock) I know: slow

Current Camaro:
CRT 1SS/1LE/RS/Recaro's/NPP/Nav/Rear vision pkg./BA speaker upgrade.

Quote:
CAFE STANDARDS! Get used to them or vote our electeds in Washington out of office...........
Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:59 PM   #88
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

Drives: A Z06 or a 2015 1LE?
Quote:
What are you saying, some people are never satisfied?
Old 04-08-2014, 05:13 PM   #89
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
What are you saying, some people are never satisfied?
I'm saying his user name is a lie.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:45 PM   #90
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

Drives: A Z06 or a 2015 1LE?
Quote:
I'm saying his user name is a lie.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:17 AM   #91
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Quote:
Haven't really paid much attention to you honestly and I don't mean that to be disrespectful. And I don't come on this forum as much since I no longer own a Camaro. But to answer your question. I was introduced to the Z28 from the 4th Gen. I can only speak for myself but the Z/28 doesn't hold much significance as I wasn't around in that era.

From my understanding apparently Chevrolet messed up with the whole Z28 to begin with since it didnt hold up to its name compared to (the original Z/28). Which that could be said to some but for me it wasn't. I saw an affordable vehicle that I still to this day see on roads and at that age I knew I wanted a Z28. Fast forward years later and a Z/28 is $75K and now he is claiming they are backing to its original roots. I must have missed something...

My name has nothing to do with my choice of cars. You must be content in your everyday life. You have no goals? I'm sure you do and I'm also sure you want to constantly strive for something greater whatever that may be. Were you satisfied after your first piece of ass? I'm sure you weren't and wanted more or less. In anycase you weren't satisfied. So in other words I'm not the lie, stop lying to yourself. Smh.

You own a '98 Z28, do you know how much the original MSRP was in '98 and the purpose of the car?
Old 04-10-2014, 12:29 AM   #92
Justin Moreno

Drives: G5.R
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINALLYSATISFIED View Post
Haven't really paid much attention to you honestly and I don't mean that to be disrespectful. And I don't come on this forum as much since I no longer own a Camaro. But to answer your question. I was introduced to the Z28 from the 4th Gen. I can only speak for myself but the Z/28 doesn't hold much significance as I wasn't around in that era.

From my understanding apparently Chevrolet messed up with the whole Z28 to begin with since it didnt hold up to its name compared to (the original Z/28). Which that could be said to some but for me it wasn't. I saw an affordable vehicle that I still to this day see on roads and at that age I knew I wanted a Z28. Fast forward years later and a Z/28 is $75K and now he is claiming they are backing to its original roots. I must have missed something...

My name has nothing to do with my choice of cars. You must be content in your everyday life. You have no goals? I'm sure you do and I'm also sure you want to constantly strive for something greater whatever that may be. Were you satisfied after your first piece of ass? I'm sure you weren't and wanted more or less. In anycase you weren't satisfied. So in other words I'm not the lie, stop lying to yourself. Smh.
FS, you realize the car you are asking for would be a lesser car to the ZL1 right? if the ZL1 doesn't "satisfy" you then how do you expect a "Z28" (which is pretty much an SS or 1LE) to? Help me understand.
Justin Moreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:47 AM   #93
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINALLYSATISFIED View Post

You own a '98 Z28, do you know how much the original MSRP was in '98 and the purpose of the car?
The reason I keep asking is because there has to be something more to your desire for a Z28 than just the badge.

I love Chevelles. Every time I see a clean Chevelle driving down the road I stare. Every time I work on my 70 and go home after hours of frustration, I focus on the end goal. Having not just a car but THE car. No car makes me feel something like the 70 Chevelle. The way it looks, the way they sound, the feeling I got when I drove it.

I feel that way about the 1LE. When I test drove one, I knew I had to have it. One day, I will own one, be if a 5th gen or possible 6th gen. I don't care if they call it a ABC, a 1-LE or what ever. If they make the car, I want it.

I enjoy my 98 Z28. Maybe I don't love it the same because it needs work and I'm too focused on the Chevelle to do it, but I want a clean LS1 Camaro some day. I like the Catfish more than most but I don't look at the Z28 badge as anything more than a marketing plan. Same as the current SS Camaros. They needed something to call them and used that badge. Not necessarily with any connection to the previous cars that had them. I think dropping the slash was a sign that even Chevy knew it wasn't the same.

Yes, I have goals. I am an engineering student. If I didn't have goals, there is no way I would have made it this far into my degree. Most people don't. I just found your name ironic.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:28 AM   #94
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Moreno View Post
FS, you realize the car you are asking for would be a lesser car to the ZL1 right? if the ZL1 doesn't "satisfy" you then how do you expect a "Z28" (which is pretty much an SS or 1LE) to? Help me understand.
The ZL1 satisfied me to be honest. I wont go back to the '12 model year however. But I needed a 4dr car for atleast 2-3 years then ill most likely go back depending on the 6th Gen. Ill be done with my orders around that time frame.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:37 AM   #95
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Quote:
The reason I keep asking is because there has to be something more to your desire for a Z28 than just the badge.

I love Chevelles. Every time I see a clean Chevelle driving down the road I stare. Every time I work on my 70 and go home after hours of frustration, I focus on the end goal. Having not just a car but THE car. No car makes me feel something like the 70 Chevelle. The way it looks, the way they sound, the feeling I got when I drove it.

I feel that way about the 1LE. When I test drove one, I knew I had to have it. One day, I will own one, be if a 5th gen or possible 6th gen. I don't care if they call it a ABC, a 1-LE or what ever. If they make the car, I want it.

I enjoy my 98 Z28. Maybe I don't love it the same because it needs work and I'm too focused on the Chevelle to do it, but I want a clean LS1 Camaro some day. I like the Catfish more than most but I don't look at the Z28 badge as anything more than a marketing plan. Same as the current SS Camaros. They needed something to call them and used that badge. Not necessarily with any connection to the previous cars that had them. I think dropping the slash was a sign that even Chevy knew it wasn't the same.

Yes, I have goals. I am an engineering student. If I didn't have goals, there is no way I would have made it this far into my degree. Most people don't. I just found your name ironic.
I see where your coming from. I keep saying the Z28 because that what I saw. That's how we identify whatever is we want or like. First it was the IROC-Z that my best friends Mom had. Then the Z28 and once the 5th Gen was introduced I had to have it. I knew of the SS trim but seeing the Z28's I knew I wanted the Z28 as that is what I knew of. I didn't know the breakdown or the history and all that at that time. I still don't to this day just because what I thought I knew was wrong all this time. Now years later Chevy was introduced to remake the hallowed car but it's definitely what I was expecting.

I wish you much success on your engineering plan. My name has many meanings btw,
Old 04-10-2014, 11:19 PM   #96
Joey0995

Drives: BMW
The z/28 seems to be a very good track car. But comparison tests like this really aren't very good for a couple of reasons. The obvious, these cars aren't in the same category.
1. 6cyl AWD twin turbo vs v8 rwd n/a.
2. Track built vs street car
3. Cost.
I say cost because if you look at the gtrs track version (their track version would be like the z28 in a sense), you would have to spend 200k. But that would be more comparable since it was designed to run on a track. That car would smash the guts right out of any camaro. Look at the track times as tested for it. It ran the "ring" in 7:09 which is insane. Shit, even the regular version ran it in 7:19 and did it faster than the zr1. The z28 would not be capable of such a time.

That said, I think for the value, the z28 is a steal for a track edition. But I would rather a gtr for a multi-purpose vehicle.
Joey0995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:59 PM   #97
Orange Crush 1LE

Drives: 2013 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey0995 View Post
The z/28 seems to be a very good track car. But comparison tests like this really aren't very good for a couple of reasons. The obvious, these cars aren't in the same category.
1. 6cyl AWD twin turbo vs v8 rwd n/a.
2. Track built vs street car
3. Cost.
I say cost because if you look at the gtrs track version (their track version would be like the z28 in a sense), you would have to spend 200k. But that would be more comparable since it was designed to run on a track. That car would smash the guts right out of any camaro. Look at the track times as tested for it. It ran the "ring" in 7:09 which is insane. Shit, even the regular version ran it in 7:19 and did it faster than the zr1. The z28 would not be capable of such a time.

That said, I think for the value, the z28 is a steal for a track edition. But I would rather a gtr for a multi-purpose vehicle.
Actually I think that makes the Z/28 even more compelling. David Vs. Goliath, or should I say Godzilla, LOL. The fact it could take on the GT-R is remarkable. I've tracked against them, they are faaaaast. And they are without question both track cars. The standard GT-R is a force to be reckoned with on the track. And the Z/28 did beat the GT-R in this venue, a win is a win. Awesome.
Willow Springs Raceway, 1:33.78: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343624
Buttonwillow Raceway, 1:57.47: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=354128
Orange Crush 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:03 AM   #98
Joey0995

Drives: BMW
I don't want to take anything away from the z28 but to me this test didn't prove anything. A track setup car vs a street car? While I do agree with you that a win is a win, these comparisons they do aren't really valid in my eyes.
Joey0995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:47 AM   #99
Mikebrinda

Drives: Ferrari F430 Spider F1 Azzurro Arge
If it can be legally street driven and is tested in stock form as built by the factory, to me that's makes your product fair game for comparison.
Mikebrinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:02 PM   #100
McRat

Drives: 2010 ZR1 "Satan"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey0995 View Post
I don't want to take anything away from the z28 but to me this test didn't prove anything. A track setup car vs a street car? While I do agree with you that a win is a win, these comparisons they do aren't really valid in my eyes.
Yes, you should never be comparing cars priced so far apart.

How do you think a Z/28 will perform against other similar priced 4-seat street cars?

The Z/28 is street legal 3800lb car with RWD, a naturally aspired engine, and true manual trans.

Any Porsche should pummel any bone stock "old school" large American car when the track gets tight. It SHOULD be a total bloodbath.

Sadly, that is no longer true.

I will admit I'm truly puzzled how a Small Block Chevy with 2 valves and pushrods with no turbo or blower is still viable against DOHC twin turbo engines. That makes no sense at all.
2010 ZR1 "Satan" no times yet.
2013 Volt SCCA Solo2 #771 HS3.
And a bunch of Duramaxes.
McRat is offline   Reply With Quote