Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
HRE Wheels
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2014, 07:49 AM   #57
khell86
 
Drives: 2012 Ford Focus
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
Really? Please stop making excuses well if this happened, or that happened, if he/she had been driving. Bottom line is the Z/28 is wicked fast on the track and it surprised the self proclaimed kings at this particular track anyways. Get over it and enjoy watching the progression of the Camaro.
I think the camaro did a great job, but the way MT went about this test was a little whack. The fact that the camaro was allowed to drop psi in its tires and then make more laps in order to lower its time, while its not mentioned if that was done for the other 2 cars, is just bad testing.

In the end though none of this matters once the new Z06 comes out lol.
khell86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:25 AM   #58
Zfatuated

 
Zfatuated's Avatar
 
Drives: BAC Mono
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Reno
Posts: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by khell86 View Post
I think the camaro did a great job, but the way MT went about this test was a little whack. The fact that the camaro was allowed to drop psi in its tires and then make more laps in order to lower its time, while its not mentioned if that was done for the other 2 cars, is just bad testing.
It wasn't a "setting the car's up for the track test", it was a test. How do you know lowering pressure in the tires of the other two cars would not have made them slower? Some cars and tires respond better to higher pressures.

It wasn't the job of the testers, nor the intent of the story to tune the cars to the track.
The Camaro had representatives there who offered a suggestion on the pressures.

It is what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khell86 View Post
In the end though none of this matters once the new Z06 comes out lol.
The Z06 that will use the Z/28's new brakes? Coming out in a year? Oh yeah, that one, right
__________________
2014 Z/28, White
"I wasn't asked to make it cheap...I was asked to make it FAST!" Mark Stielow, the new Z/28.

Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:35 AM   #59
SGOS252382


 
SGOS252382's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: S.W. Florida
Posts: 6,300
z28 is definately a fast track car. It runs on super sticky 305 series race tires front and rear.
Take nothing away from the Z28, but it definately comes from the factory with a tire advantage over the other cars.

As mentioned by many others, the new Z06 will almost for sure run faster track times than the Z28.

And the comment about the stock SS being terrible kind of brings the article down a bit in excitement for many Camaro owners.
Very few people in this forum or anywhere will own a Z28, where as most of us own a basic SS.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:14 AM   #60
Red Chief
 
Drives: 2012 v6 Black
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Cape Girardeau
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post
z28 is definately a fast track car. It runs on super sticky 305 series race tires front and rear.
Take nothing away from the Z28, but it definately comes from the factory with a tire advantage over the other cars.
I'm still trying to understand this line of thinking. They were comparing stock vs. stock. Not "after I pay WAY more for this other car I'll go buy better tires for it too".

While you're doing that I'll just go ahead and put a supercharger in the z/28 and we'll see how it does.
Red Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:46 AM   #61
Zfatuated

 
Zfatuated's Avatar
 
Drives: BAC Mono
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Reno
Posts: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Chief View Post
I'm still trying to understand this line of thinking. They were comparing stock vs. stock. Not "after I pay WAY more for this other car I'll go buy better tires for it too".

While you're doing that I'll just go ahead and put a supercharger in the z/28 and we'll see how it does.
And then tune the other car's suspension to those new tires as well...

Thank you for pointing out THE OBVIOUS to those who keep repeating the same tired f'ing thing over and over and over.

It was what it was...let it go for f*ck's sake! Chevy built and tuned the Z/28 around a specific tire for a specific purpose, what does it take for some posters to get their head around that? Is it that hard to comprehend? Apparently so
__________________
2014 Z/28, White
"I wasn't asked to make it cheap...I was asked to make it FAST!" Mark Stielow, the new Z/28.

Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:35 AM   #62
khell86
 
Drives: 2012 Ford Focus
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfatuated View Post
It wasn't a "setting the car's up for the track test", it was a test. How do you know lowering pressure in the tires of the other two cars would not have made them slower? Some cars and tires respond better to higher pressures.

It wasn't the job of the testers, nor the intent of the story to tune the cars to the track.
The Camaro had representatives there who offered a suggestion on the pressures.

It is what it is.



The Z06 that will use the Z/28's new brakes? Coming out in a year? Oh yeah, that one, right
C'mon man everyone knows that once the tires heat up its better to lower the pressure.
khell86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:43 AM   #63
Front Runner

 
Drives: Chevy Vehicles
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfatuated View Post
Chevy built and tuned the Z/28 around a specific tire for a specific purpose,
This, I completely agree with. They did and did it well. The Z/28 is an awesome track (road course) car.
Front Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:50 AM   #64
Front Runner

 
Drives: Chevy Vehicles
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post

As mentioned by many others, the new Z06 will almost for sure run faster track times than the Z28.
There is no "almost" to it. It will definitely run faster times around the track. The 2015 Z06 will truly be approaching supercar status if not take the claim openly.

The Z/28 is in a different class, so to compare the Z/28 to the Z06 is comparing apples to oranges IMO.
Front Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 11:34 AM   #65
fbodfather


 
fbodfather's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaros................
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Grosse Pointe Farms, MI (suburban Detroit)
Posts: 4,485
it's simply a GREAT TIME to be a Camaro Enthusiast.

One year ago we unveiled the car at NY - and we had so very many nay-sayers......

.........and then we announced the price and people had fits.......and we told you that you'd be blown away by the performance.

Well -- that day is here..........and the results are in magazines on the news stands.

For those of you who "kept the faith" -- many many many thanks from "Team Camaro" --
__________________
fbodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 11:42 AM   #66
Mikebrinda

 
Mikebrinda's Avatar
 
Drives: Ferrari F430 Spider F1 Azzurro Arge
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Irvine
Posts: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by khell86 View Post
I think the camaro did a great job, but the way MT went about this test was a little whack. The fact that the camaro was allowed to drop psi in its tires and then make more laps in order to lower its time, while its not mentioned if that was done for the other 2 cars, is just bad testing.

In the end though none of this matters once the new Z06 comes out lol.
Remind me again, where does the 3rd and 4th passenger sit in the Z06?

Exactly. But the Camaro engineers said, "Bring any car you want to the test." They had no fear.

It is a complement that a legitimate four-passenger seating vehicle is in the same track performance conversation with the Z06. But it's a pretty dim bulb that celebrates any two-seater's relatively marginal edge over a four-seater. This is especially true when the price differential of some cars and the Z/28 (or Shelby) is added into the conversation.
Mikebrinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:35 PM   #67
47AJV8
 
Drives: A White Car
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
Really? Please stop making excuses well if this happened, or that happened, if he/she had been driving. Bottom line is the Z/28 is wicked fast on the track and it surprised the self proclaimed kings at this particular track anyways. Get over it and enjoy watching the progression of the Camaro.
Haha I guess some people can't take criticism. I'm not making excuses, I'm pointing out the obvious... I mean the cars (specifically the Porsche and Z/28) don't even come close to competing in the same segment so the test is pretty irrelevant, but it is funny to see how defensive people get when you point out an obvious flaw in the test.. As I said in my first statement, I love the Z/28 so I'm not knocking it at all, just pointing out some things from the other side of the table.
__________________
"From ABS shudder that came on surprisingly early in the lousy brake pedal's travel to a looser rear end than Kim Kardashian"
47AJV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:45 PM   #68
G-Oil Guy
Where am I?
 
G-Oil Guy's Avatar
 
Drives: Zoe the ZL1, 2012 Frontier
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mars, PA
Posts: 6,094
I love the video.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...sQn9fzxstRZzqj
__________________
FOR SALE: 2013 ZL1 Message me if interested
G-Oil Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:57 PM   #69
bionick

 
bionick's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SLVRBULIT View Post
This...the Z06 will be the GM gold std track car(as it should be).
From what I have read the new ZR1 will even be better than the new Z06, since the ZR1 is the top corvette
__________________
2010 2SS/RS
Tuned by Phil @Tampa Tuning, Pat G Custom cam, carbon fiber copo hood, Powerbond UDP, 1LE 3.91 differential, Stainless Works/Stainless Power 1 7/8 Catless long tubes, Stainless works Retro Chambered 3" catback, QTP, Roto-fab CAI, VMAX CNC ported TB, MGW flat stick shifter, SRP anodized race pedals, Drake quarter panel covers, elite catch can, 1LE PCV seperator, foose 20" wheels, hotchkis strut tower brace, oracle red halo's, under dash lights, sunroof, interior accent package, metra stereo dash kit with kenwood double din.
bionick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:37 PM   #70
Bhobbs


 
Bhobbs's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 5,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by bionick View Post
From what I have read the new ZR1 will even be better than the new Z06, since the ZR1 is the top corvette
There is no new ZR1.
Bhobbs is online now   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.