Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Gen5DIY
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:57 PM   #1
68/2010
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 2SS Rally Yellow
Need infor. on clear bra

I been hearing people talking about the clear bra and I would like infor. mybe I need to. I worry about my paint on the time. Or something not coming off the paint.
68/2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:40 PM   #2
SamsinSS

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 2SS
Send a message via MSN to SamsinSS
Thom Pettigrew
HTP AutoWorks
805-757-2910 He is a forum member here. Check it out. I have talked to Thom several times and he seems to be a good guy. I am waiting on him to come down and do mine.
SamsinSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:34 PM   #3
ensign_lee

Drives: 2008 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamsinSS View Post
Thom Pettigrew
HTP AutoWorks
805-757-2910 He is a forum member here. Check it out. I have talked to Thom several times and he seems to be a good guy. I am waiting on him to come down and do mine.
Where's his shop? How much did you pay for yours?
ensign_lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:12 PM   #4
NYG71
VIN # 18176

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS
I got mine installed with a 3rd party a block down the street from the dealer. www.ventureshield.com is the product (its by 3M) I paid $1500 for the complete front and etc. I know its alot but its worth it. It has a lifetime warranty. If you are getting stripes, what will happen is that the installer will have to pre-cut the clear-bra to fit around them. I am so happy with mine.

Check em out.
IOM 2SS/RS 6-spd manual, black interior, sunroof, Black racing stripes, with midnight silver wheels, 70% windshield tint, 35% tint for everything else, complete front-end 3M clear-bra including rocker panels, side-mirrors, and rear fenders, Chrome Bowties, Noweeds exhaust diverter system, Cold Air Induction by CAI Inc.
NYG71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:24 PM   #5
hot ss

Drives: aqua 2ss l99
Thom would be a good choice if he happens to be in your part of the country soon.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:28 AM   #6
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG71 View Post
I got mine installed with a 3rd party a block down the street from the dealer. www.ventureshield.com is the product (its by 3M) I paid $1500 for the complete front and etc. I know its alot but its worth it. It has a lifetime warranty. If you are getting stripes, what will happen is that the installer will have to pre-cut the clear-bra to fit around them. I am so happy with mine.

Check em out.

Or you can do the stripes over or under the 3m

I have my ENTIRE hood 3m'd and the rallies on top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
.........we are far from finished.................
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 07:25 PM   #7
htp autoworks
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 Jeep SRT-8
I will be in Houston next weekend. Samsinn I was going to give you a call tomorrow to find out if that works for you. If anyone else is interested or would like some info feel free to give me a shout. I also know a lot of other quality installers around the country and will be happy to help you find one.

Ensign I am out of Longview (just moved my shop from the Santa Barbara CA area) but most of my work is mobile. I have been to 36 states so far this year so I get around a little. Although I am really ready to slow down a little and start enjoying some time off.
htp autoworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 07:27 PM   #8
dursin

Drives: Suburban
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68/2010 View Post
I been hearing people talking about the clear bra and I would like infor. mybe I need to. I worry about my paint on the time. Or something not coming off the paint.
I'd like to find one for the wife!
dursin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:13 PM   #9
Blakout

Drives: 2000 Mercury Cougar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dursin View Post
I'd like to find one for the wife!
Old 07-31-2009, 09:04 PM   #10
CanadianCamaro

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM - A.K.A. DA ;)
I have clear bra on my front bumper only ( http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33203 )
As of 3 weeks ago 3M had a downloadable cut program for the shops for the LS/LT's but not the SS. Most shops can do better custom jobs anyway. Just make sure it's genuine 3M and that you see some of the work by the shop first.

"BBOMG - More than just a car show.... It's an experience!"
CanadianCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 11:51 PM   #11
htp autoworks
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCamaro View Post
I have clear bra on my front bumper only ( http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33203 )
As of 3 weeks ago 3M had a downloadable cut program for the shops for the LS/LT's but not the SS. Most shops can do better custom jobs anyway. Just make sure it's genuine 3M and that you see some of the work by the shop first.
I am not sure how much experience you have with the various films on the market but there are much better quality films than 3M. 3M has way too much orange peel to it and the acrylic clear coat they use will chip... just as the paints clear coat will. I also have all 3 patterns for the Camaro... the LS was the toughest to get since there werent many around to pattern off of.

Last edited by htp autoworks; 08-01-2009 at 08:40 AM.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:55 PM   #12
Matrix

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS & Magnum R/T
I am happy as punch with mine. I even scraped a curb stop and it creased the film and in one hour it reformed again. No damage to the paint! 3M THANKYOU!!!!!!
Old 08-03-2009, 12:55 PM   #13
Capstone

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by htp autoworks View Post
I am not sure how much experience you have with the various films on the market but there are much better quality films than 3M. 3M has way too much orange peel to it and the acrylic clear coat they use will chip... just as the paints clear coat will. I also have all 3 patterns for the Camaro... the LS was the toughest to get since there werent many around to pattern off of.
Since you are an installer and in the industry, I'd welcome some elaboration of the other brands you prefer and why. I tried finding more info on some of the non-3m brands but didn't have any luck with the thread searches here...
Capstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 01:35 PM   #14
SamsinSS

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 2SS
Send a message via MSN to SamsinSS
Thom from HTP seems to know his stuff! He is coming down to Houston on Sunday and is going to mask my IBM SS. I will post pictures when he is finished. I think he will be using Clearmask AR on mine.

Last edited by SamsinSS; 08-03-2009 at 01:36 PM. Reason: misspell
SamsinSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:36 AM   #15
htp autoworks
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstone View Post
Since you are an installer and in the industry, I'd welcome some elaboration of the other brands you prefer and why. I tried finding more info on some of the non-3m brands but didn't have any luck with the thread searches here...
I have worked with just about every film out there. I have narrowed down to what I think are the two best. Clearmask AR and Ventureshield Ultra. I think they are the cleanest films with the least amount of orange peel out there. Durabilty wise Clearmask is outstanding. I have seen 5 year old film pulled off of a car to test it and it looked brand new. It also has a good adhesive... not too strong like 3M so it's easier to remove if needed. I use Ventureshield because I can get it in 58 inch widths... which Clearmask only comes in up to 30 inches. I need58 inch film for full panel wraps. I think Clearmask is more durable and stronger adhesive but Venture works really well.

Pm me if you have any more questions. I will be happy to give more details on other films off line.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:37 PM   #16
vdevine

Drives: 2010 Black SS
Click on "search", then "clear bra"
3800 Born: 25 May VIN#12136
6000 Mine 26 June 2009
SLP Loudmouth II, NOWEEDS, BMR 1.4/1.0 Lowering Springs, Cold Air Inductions Intake, Tune, Eagle Eyes w HID, SLP "SS" Grille Insert, Pistol Grip Shifter, Hawk PC Pads, RGB Scanner, Tint, Headlight Armor, Clear Bra, 22's.
vdevine is offline   Reply With Quote