Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

SMGSS
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:17 PM   #1
rex113

Drives: 2010 2ss silver/cyb
No digital speedo readout

I got my car 2 days ago and my digital speedometer does not work. Does it have anything to do with onstar because I have not set up my onstar account yet.
rex113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:27 PM   #2
My new Camaro

Drives: 2500 hd
i read another thread where the speedo quit
My new Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:28 PM   #3
The_Blur
Moderator, USN

Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Setup your OnStar. Doing that will tell you whether OnStar is at all the problem. I would argue that OnStar has nothing to do with reading your car's velocity, but only you can setup Onstar on your car. Try that. If it does not work, then go to the dealer and see what is wrong.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:34 PM   #4
fastball
White 'n Nerdy

Drives: 2010 Camaro
OnStar has absolutely nothing to do with it - your speed readouts are taken from the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) in the transmission, sent to the car's ECM computer, and sent from there to the instrument cluster. And this works for both the analog gauge (which isn't really analog, just looks like an old fashioned gauge) and the digital LCD graphic in the center of the instrument cluster.

However, if your analog gauge does in fact work, and your digital gauge doesn't it's not the VSS. You might need a software reflash or something like that to get the digital display working again. It is possible the display itself is bad, but when you cycle through your DIC and start the car you get all the other readings and info in the display, right?

If you do, it's most certainly a software issue or computer issue.

Either way, take it back to the dealer and they should take care of it.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:38 PM   #5
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
All the other vehicle information displays in the DIC?
Old 07-31-2009, 12:14 AM   #6
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Rex this may sound cold but.. did you read the manual? It shows how to configure it.

If still in doubt ask your local service dept.

Good luck.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 07:00 AM   #7
fastball
White 'n Nerdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick rick View Post
All the other vehicle information displays in the DIC?
Yes. Everything from fuel economy to vehicle speed to door ajar to engine temperature. It's all in the DIC.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:57 AM   #8
Embalmer
2G1FT1EWXA9103351

Drives: 2SS RS, SIM, 6pd, 20"Alum
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
OnStar has absolutely nothing to do with it - your speed readouts are taken from the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) in the transmission, sent to the car's ECM computer, and sent from there to the instrument cluster. And this works for both the analog gauge (which isn't really analog, just looks like an old fashioned gauge) and the digital LCD graphic in the center of the instrument cluster.

However, if your analog gauge does in fact work, and your digital gauge doesn't it's not the VSS. You might need a software reflash or something like that to get the digital display working again. It is possible the display itself is bad, but when you cycle through your DIC and start the car you get all the other readings and info in the display, right?

If you do, it's most certainly a software issue or computer issue.

Either way, take it back to the dealer and they should take care of it.
Please don't take this the wrong way but there is no such thing as a VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor). Cars are equipped with WSS (Wheel speed sensors) that are either active or passive and are mounted at the wheel itself. Those speeds are fed into the rest of the ECU's (Electronic control units - ECM, BCM, etc).

Some fancy cars may have GPS VSS type things though...

Also, I think what the guy was asking is does he know how to use the DIC? As in see all of the other options on there.
Embalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:01 PM   #9
Santos
Santos

Drives: 1SS Blk 6M
so who should i see about my speed not showing as well the only time it shows is during cruise control
Old 07-31-2009, 12:03 PM   #10
PolishMike

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santos View Post
so who should i see about my speed not showing as well the only time it shows is during cruise control
Either your dealer or a plumber... choose carefully.
IOM w/ White Stripes 2SS RS M6 #17772
Now - Stainless Works 2" Headers, Intake, Cam, tune, ect
And shepherds we shall be, For thee my lord for thee. Power has descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy commands. So we shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.In nomine Patri, Et Fili, Spiritus Sancti
PolishMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:11 PM   #11
firstmate

Drives: 2010 Blk/Gry SS/RS M6
I had a similar issue within the first 1 - 2 days. Except it was the opposite. My DIC worked but the guage needle stayed at 0. Took it to the dealer and they did a reflash, didn't work. They couldn't fix it so they ordered a new Instrument Cluster, got it in 1 day and installed the same day they got it. Both displays have worked ever since... So yes, take it to the dealer and they should be able to fix it within a couple of days I would think... Hope this helps.
VIN #2386
Delivered 6-11-09 - Woo Hoo!!!

Hey Houston locals--------

Join the H-Town Camaro Club
www.H-TownCamaroClub.com
firstmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:21 PM   #12
fastball
White 'n Nerdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embalmer View Post
Please don't take this the wrong way but there is no such thing as a VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor). Cars are equipped with WSS (Wheel speed sensors) that are either active or passive and are mounted at the wheel itself. Those speeds are fed into the rest of the ECU's (Electronic control units - ECM, BCM, etc).

Some fancy cars may have GPS VSS type things though...

Also, I think what the guy was asking is does he know how to use the DIC? As in see all of the other options on there.

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0500

Vehicle Speed Sensor diagnostic code on all OBD-II vehicles (1996 and later). Yes, while it can be located in the wheels, it can also be located in the transmission or drive axle. This is what displays vehicle speed.

Wheel Speed sensors are used for calculating ABS, traction control, and stability control. These are of course always at the wheel behind the brakes.

Of course when you skid and slide your wheel speeds are all different from your vehcle speed.

Besides, if a VSS was in fact faulty he would have a check engine light or service vehicle message on the DIC.

Which is why I suspect a software issue in the ECM or IP controller.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:31 PM   #13
flht99b

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RJT
Are you sure you set it up in the DIC properly ?? I had some difficulty getting it to work initially but has been fine since.
flht99b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:32 PM   #14
rex113

Drives: 2010 2ss silver/cyb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
Rex this may sound cold but.. did you read the manual? It shows how to configure it.

If still in doubt ask your local service dept.

Good luck.
Vash I did not read the manual but when I just looked at it now it explains how to turn on the DIC. I have been a truck mechanic for the past 30 years and told the dealer not to explain anything about the car to me because I already knew everything.If it works when I try it tomorrow I will feel like an idiot.
rex113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 10:56 AM   #15
BlemsBumble

Drives: '13 ZL1 #662; '10 SS; '99 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by flht99b View Post
Are you sure you set it up in the DIC properly ?? I had some difficulty getting it to work initially but has been fine since.
What's to set up? What did you do? Mine ain't working either.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:13 AM   #16
Embalmer
2G1FT1EWXA9103351

Drives: 2SS RS, SIM, 6pd, 20"Alum
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
http://www.obd-codes.com/p0500

Vehicle Speed Sensor diagnostic code on all OBD-II vehicles (1996 and later). Yes, while it can be located in the wheels, it can also be located in the transmission or drive axle. This is what displays vehicle speed.

Wheel Speed sensors are used for calculating ABS, traction control, and stability control. These are of course always at the wheel behind the brakes.

Of course when you skid and slide your wheel speeds are all different from your vehcle speed.

Besides, if a VSS was in fact faulty he would have a check engine light or service vehicle message on the DIC.

Which is why I suspect a software issue in the ECM or IP controller.

Interesting... I had always assumed Vehicle speed was calculated based on the wheel speed sensors (3rd fastest) or what not. And yea my background is controlled brakes - not powertrain - so not super surprised I have't heard of this I guess.

Thanks for the info
Embalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:52 AM   #17
Mdipinto

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro silver black stripe
This weekend I drove to Yuma,AZ, from CA, and there it was 100 degrees. As soon as I entered the vehicle, and started the engine, all the needles on the dash didn't work, all stayed in place, saying 0mph(even while driving), 0rpms, empty fuel...
Now it's working, and the needle for the speedometer, took the longest to go back to work. Every time I parked and let it sit for at least 3 hours it happened.
For the first 10 mins driving not even the digital speedometer worked.
Any one experiences similar?

I was driving about 83mph, in the highway coming back to CA, the speed limit was 70mph, but I got a citation for 91mph. I'm going to a dealer and check it out, as I don't want that citation on my record.
Mdipinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:38 AM   #18
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Heat expansion is causing the arms to stick againts the backing plate. Once the car cools down insided the parts contract and it starts working again. Probably going to need a new cluster or it will happen everytime it gets this hot.
2013 2SS, GM Strut Tower Brace, CAI Intake Black, VMAX TB, Elite Catch Can, Hotchkis Chassis Brace, Hurst Shifter, 3.91 1LE Complete Rear End, NPP, 1LE Track Pack,Factory Reproductions Style 41 ZL1 Fitment Wheels 10" on all 4 corners
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:45 PM   #19
Mdipinto

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro silver black stripe
My camaro is still under warranty, so to repair this I shouldn't have go pay, right?
Mdipinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:49 PM   #20
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
That would be correct Mdipinto. Under normal circumstances a fix like this would be covered under your bumper to bumper warranty. Hopefully a quick trip to the dealer is all you need and you can get back to enjoying your vehicle (as police apparently know all too well). If you have any problems let me know.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is online now   Reply With Quote