Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions Discuss pricing and ordering experiences.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:57 PM   #1
Slave One

Drives: 1996 Camaro V6
New car buying tips..

Well... The NEW Camaro... man, I still cant believe I'm actually going to be able to purchase a brand spanking new one Thought I had missed my chance when they stopped making them before...

I am 24 years old, and this is going to be my first brand new car purchase, and thus being, I have never had to deal with new car salesmen or dealerships. I have always heard the horror stories of people getting screwed and really wanted to avoid this if at all possible.

I came across this website that I wanted to pass onto you guys that has a TON of GREAT, Free information (although some things you have to pay for, like credit report and such).

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/carintro.html

Let me know what you guys think and if yall have anything at all to add. I'm sure I'm not the only one in this boat
Slave One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:59 PM   #2
NOODLESgoneWILD
IS IT 2009 YET???

Drives: '05 Z51 Black Vette & '06 H2
Send a message via MSN to NOODLESgoneWILD
Buy 2 or 3 years old used...save thousands and pay cash...best advice i can give!
Old 04-01-2008, 11:07 PM   #3
Slave One

Ohhhhh trust me... I understand that.... but I REALLLLLY dont think I will be able to wait
Old 04-01-2008, 11:11 PM   #4
NOODLESgoneWILD
IS IT 2009 YET???

Drives: '05 Z51 Black Vette & '06 H2
Send a message via MSN to NOODLESgoneWILD
I know I don't think Ill be able to either....My savings account is going to take a serious hit...but I keep reminding myself...wait for the big dog and it'll probably come out in year 2 or 3!
Old 04-02-2008, 10:54 AM   #5
The_Blur
Jayhawk USN

Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
At least pay most of it in cash. Also remember to consider what insurance will be. If you forget to talk to the insurance company you use, you may find yourself having to sell your new car. Sacrificing financial security is never worth your cool new car. I'll wait to see what kinks the Camaro has, then for some aftermarket to develop, and finally until I have the money.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 11:05 AM   #6
joes3rdcamaro82/91/2010
Z28 Hold Out!

Drives: 2000 Monte Carlo SS
There is not a whole lot to do when it comes to the new Camaro. I sell cars. All I can say about the Camaro is; find a dealer you like, and make sure they are not charging over MSRP. There is not going to be a lot of barging that is for sure.
joes3rdcamaro82/91/2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 11:19 AM   #7
Slave One

Well... I dont plan on buying the day they come out... I am realistically planning for around December or February of 2010, but still want it Brand New... wuold that be to my advantage??
Old 04-02-2008, 01:01 PM   #8
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Do most of your talking to the dealer thru their internet representative. I tend to get better deals that way. Though with the Camaro I doubt there will be much budging on price. Just make sure it's not over MSRP at the most.

I know there are those that are gung-ho about purchasing a 2-3 year old used car. But I just can't do it. I want to KNOW how my car was treated from the beginning, as well as get the full factory warranty.

I just see buying used as buying someone elses hand-me-down problem. I've only bought one used car since I got my license. Every other car has been brand new.
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 01:20 PM   #9
The_Blur
Jayhawk USN

Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllwynX View Post
Do most of your talking to the dealer thru their internet representative. I tend to get better deals that way.
Do you recommend a dealership salesperson responsible for selling cars online or some other representative?
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 01:48 PM   #10
TheClassicCarKid

Drives: V45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slave One View Post
Well... I dont plan on buying the day they come out... I am realistically planning for around December or February of 2010, but still want it Brand New... wuold that be to my advantage??

I don't think that they'll be for sale in feb. 2010
I've heard mid-march?

but anyway, The advantage of a new car is psychological and has some "real" benefits.
Sitting in a brand new car that's YOURS, zero miles, it's like the car is your new-born baby
plus you get a warranty for the problems which will probably come up with the first year of production of any car...
the only downside is if you're planning on selling it in 2 or 3 years, since there will probably be pretty bad depreciation with the numbers they plan on building.

I say go for a new one if you can afford it and keep it for about 5 years....or more
TheClassicCarKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:48 PM   #11
Slave One

First 1/4 of 2009 bub....
Old 04-02-2008, 02:59 PM   #12
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by aston70 View Post
They won't be for sale in 2010?
Quote:
First 1/4 of 2009 bub....
But continuing to be sold through 2010, in case that was the confusion. It won't be a 1-year run.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:34 PM   #13
EllwynX

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Do you recommend a dealership salesperson responsible for selling cars online or some other representative?
Well, most dealers only have on person that deals with the internet stuff. If you come up with an acceptable deal via eMail just go into the dealership and talk to whichever dealer you wish. Tell them you've been in contact with their internet representative and they can look up all the info that has gone back and forth between yourself and their man.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:00 AM   #14
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I'll be in about the same boat. I'll be 25 in spring of 2011 (well fall 2010 but I'm not buying then, my camaro isn't going to see a winter while I own it). It will be my first ever brand new car, first one in my family since the mid 60's. We've always bought used but I want to take care of my Camaro, I want to know everything that has been done to it, and know exactly how much abuse it goes through. A simple people mover can be used, but not a 5th Gen Camaro. not for me at least

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 08:38 AM   #15
Slave One

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I'll be in about the same boat. I'll be 25 in spring of 2011 (well fall 2010 but I'm not buying then, my camaro isn't going to see a winter while I own it). It will be my first ever brand new car, first one in my family since the mid 60's. We've always bought used but I want to take care of my Camaro, I want to know everything that has been done to it, and know exactly how much abuse it goes through. A simple people mover can be used, but not a 5th Gen Camaro. not for me at least
I totally agree.. I want to know everything about my baby, even to the point of watchin the dealership mechanic while he works on it and following him when he does a road test

The only thing is, this is going to be my everyday daily driver and she will get driven no matter the condition outside. She aint gonna be no trailer or garage queen, she was built for a reason...
Old 04-03-2008, 09:45 AM   #16
MattG
Z/28 or Bust!

Drives: First Camaro: '69 Z28
I've heard the advice about how you minimize the depreciation you pay when you buy a car that's ~2 years old, and sell it when it's ~4 years old. Granted, you're getting a car that's "new to you" every 2 years, and it might be the best way to minimize the depreciation hit. But, you do have the concern of 'how did the first owner treat it?'

And, if you're looking at the HiPo v8, you have to figure it probably won't be available until Fall of '09 at the earliest. If you try to wait until it's 2 years old to buy a pre-owned, that means waiting until late 2011 or early 2012 to get a Camaro. And I just can't see myself being able to hold out that long! So, I find myself with a 4-year old car that is paid for, and my more realistic timeframe for a Camaro to be about 2 years from now (when the HiPo is initially available). If you believe the pundits, my best course of action would be to replace my current car with a 2-yr old car and drive it for 2 years. But it's so nice not having a car payment right now!
MattG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 10:35 AM   #17
Chevyrocker
Weekend Rockstar

Drives: Depends on the day...
I am the GM Certified Internet Manager for a Chevy store. A lot of this advice is good, some is garbage. I personally would never buy a used car. I like having a warranty. Plus, a used Camaro was probably driven like a Camaro should be and you would be adopting someone elses problems.

This car is scheduled to be built in Feb 2009 as a 2010 model, and it will hit dealers shortly after. There will be a premium on it for at least the first few months of it's existence. The only good advice I can offer is find a dealer you like that has a good service dept and body shop. Ours is one of the top rated in South Florida. I would stay away from autonation stores for many reasons. They have a reputation for being racist, sexist, and just plain scummy. Disagree? go to www.stopautonation.com or www.destroyautonation.com and you can view literally thousands of complaints from employess and customers about tactics they use. I work for a privately owned SFE dealer that has been here since 1963. I would have it no other way.

As far as shopping the internet, it's not a bad idea. Just write the person back! I write 50 e-mails a day and probably get replies 1% of the time. It's just common courtesy. If someone gives you numbers that are far fetched, forward him/her a quote you got from another dealer on a car THAT IS EQUIPPED THE SAME and they will get more aggressive with their pricing. Honestly, this car will not go for under MSRP for a long time, but if you want it, you will pay. What's $1000 in a monthly payment anyways?
Chevyrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 10:44 AM   #18
Chevyrocker
Weekend Rockstar

Drives: Depends on the day...
Oh yea, and as far as depreciation goes, the more expensive the car, the more money you will lose driving off the lot. ie, a $120,000 BMW M6 that is one year old and only has 7,500 miles on it is only worth $85,000. That means you lost $35,000 in one year. I know this because I had a customer do exactly this (he bought a Z06). On the other hand, if you buy a vehicle that is only $30,000, a year later with the same miles it should be worth around $22,000 ($8,000 loss).

See, each and every vehicle produced has something called a residual value (used to determine lease payments). The residual value is a financial institutions prediction for what the car will be worth after a certain amount of time with a specific amount of miles on it. For example, the 2008 Silverado Extended Cab LT1 has a residual value of 61% after 36 months of use with 12,000 miles per year. If you only use 10,000 miles per year, your residual jumps to 66%. Use 15,000 per year and it drops to 56%. There's some "inside" information for you.
Chevyrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 12:28 PM   #19
Slave One

Hello, Thanks soo much for chipping in with that great info. I agree with you, I dont want to buy one of these babies second hand if I can avoid it, and also want the full benefeits of a warranty. Have a couple of questions for you...

If this car goes on sale say.. March, April or whatnot.. when would you suggest would be the "Best" time to purchase one and get a good deal. End of the year, maybe??

Also, in your experience with Chevrolet, what do you think the warranty on these vehicles will be like?

Also, what do you mean by "What's $1000 in a monthly payment anyways?" Do you mean an additional $1000 over the length of the financing?
Old 04-04-2008, 01:05 PM   #20
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Welcome to the site!

But, if a dealer doesn't want to charge a premium...then there won't be a premium. That' all there is to it. There's no rule that says there has to be.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:24 PM   #21
CaptianSam
Car Garage

Drives: 350z,A4,SRT8...see sig
im pretty sure im going to buy it a couple years later after the come out... im waiting for the genesis, mustang, mitsu evo, sti, challenger to get popular.... so then when i buy my camaro itll be WAY more competitivly priced...

We should all wait to buy... camaro sluggish sales = price drop in camaros

On My Ipad
Xbox McLovin1515
Ps3 McLovin1555
Current Autos:68z28,03viperSRT10,04escalade,05RangeRoverSport SC
Project Autos:80corvette350-500hp 6speed,06charger S'C 6-speed posi,74Firebird400blue,69chevelle572 707
New Autos:2012CamaroSSRS,09ChallengerSRT8
Past Autos:....too many to list

"i told you it was gettin' an LS3"
Go down deep enough into anything and you will find mathematics. Dean Schlicter
B.Sc. Hons. Mathematics
CaptianSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 05:18 PM   #22
EllwynX

Quote:

Also, what do you mean by "What's $1000 in a monthly payment anyways?" Do you mean an additional $1000 over the length of the financing?
I'm pretty sure that comment was a joke.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:22 PM   #23
EllwynX

Quote:
Also, in your experience with Chevrolet, what do you think the warranty on these vehicles will be like?
I meant to answer this in my last response...

The warranty is likely to be the same warranty offered on all other Chevy vehicles.

3yr/36,000mile Bumper to Bumper
5yr/100,000 Powertrain/Roadside Assistance
Old 04-05-2008, 01:55 AM   #24
Sterling

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsenn View Post
I am the GM Certified Internet Manager for a Chevy store. A lot of this advice is good, some is garbage. I personally would never buy a used car. I like having a warranty. Plus, a used Camaro was probably driven like a Camaro should be and you would be adopting someone elses problems.
If you are talking about a 2 year old car you are still getting the factory warranty. It's 3yr/36,000 mile bumper to bumper and the warranty starts when to car was originally sold, not necessarily the model year so it could still last a couple of more years and the powertrain warranty will definately still be in effect. I would also advise you to make sure that if you are buying a used one to make sure that it is GM Certified.

Most people in car sales would never buy a NEW car, and most would also rather sell a used car as there is more money in selling a used car for a dealership than selling a new car. Well, I guess it depends how much of a "premium" they expect to put on the car the first few months it's out.
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 11:43 AM   #25
usmc320

Drives: RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingnotes View Post
Well, I guess it depends how much of a "premium" they expect to put on the car the first few months it's out.
I hope the premium they expect is nothing. I'm ready to buy one when it comes out, but I refuse to pay over MSRP. As soon as they sell for that or less, I'm in.

Last edited by usmc320; 04-06-2008 at 12:02 AM.
usmc320 is offline   Reply With Quote