Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Kraft Werks
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Sponsors Classifieds Marketplace > Exterior Parts & Accessories

Exterior Parts & Accessories All exterior parts and accessories.

View our official forum sponsors list.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:43 PM   #1
Joe@NightOwlLEDs
"Night it Up!"

Drives: 2011 SS Convertible
NightOwl New Ultimate DRL Halos!!!

PRICE PER PAIR: $99.99

NightOwl is proud to introduce the Ultimate DRL Halos. RGB means they are able to produce any color. Before, the rings had 18 LEDs in a circle. This left a lot of space between. Then the LEDs got closer. The next-best rings have 36 LEDs in a circle. Our NEW DRL Halos have a staggering 81 or 84 RGB LEDs. That means that there is virtually no space between the LEDs. This produces a solid ring even at short distances.

We have two ring sizes available. One fills up the DRL housing, and the other is for use with a diffuser ring. The diffuser ring helps make the DRL halo match almost perfect with our RS Halos. The smaller with diffuser rings and the larger without diffuser rings are the same price.

Use these DRL Halos with any controller. DOES NOT REQUIRE a NightOwl System (although the NightOwl system makes them even more awesome with fine-tuning white/color balancing and very smooth fades.)

Product page: Ultimate RGB DRL Halos (Pair)
Visit www.NightOwlLEDs.com

Looking for the BEST COLOR-CHANGING HALO KIT? NightOwl RGB Halo Kit

DIY on Halo Diffuser Ring Modification: DIY DRL Halo Diffuser Ring Modifications

Installation Instructions: Ultimate DRL Halo Installation

DIY on installation by anglwngss: NightOwl DRL Install
Attached Images

Last edited by Joe@NightOwlLEDs; 06-08-2014 at 09:53 AM.
Joe@NightOwlLEDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:52 PM   #2
MackMan
Camaro CRAZY

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM
Must resist to buy........ hahaha.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:32 PM   #3
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray ZL1
This is great Joe!
Old 04-21-2014, 09:39 PM   #4
BETO713

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT RS
Finally
BETO713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:10 PM   #5
chef-beavis

Drives: IOM 2013 2SS/RS, family truckster
Dayummmmmm! !!! Do the diffuser rings come with those sets or do you have a source lined up for me to buy the right size? Awesome, as always, Joe.
chef-beavis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:25 PM   #6
Twoblindsheep
[COTW 1/6/14]

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
soo the purple one has the diffuser right?
also i have the halo kit so i can just plug this into the main kit and it will work right?
Old 04-21-2014, 11:39 PM   #7
chetkan

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Synergy Green
Do I have to cut open my DRL to install these?
chetkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:32 AM   #8
Joe@NightOwlLEDs
"Night it Up!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MackMan View Post
Must resist to buy........ hahaha.
Why? Give in. You only live once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deke736 View Post
This is great Joe!
Hey Matt, as one of the testers of these rings, can you give us a quick review?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BETO713 View Post
Finally
Tell me about it! We've been waiting for the day to come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef-beavis View Post
Dayummmmmm! !!! Do the diffuser rings come with those sets or do you have a source lined up for me to buy the right size? Awesome, as always, Joe.
We're including the diffuser rings with the smaller set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoblindsheep View Post
soo the purple one has the diffuser right?
also i have the halo kit so i can just plug this into the main kit and it will work right?
Yes, the purple and orange images are showing the smaller ring with the diffuser. The green picture and the one above it show the larger ring without the diffuser. We had a hard time taking the green halo photo. We wanted to show the individual "dots", but when the brightness is turned up, they are very difficult to see, especially on green. At lower intensities, and especially at lower red levels, you can spot them if you are close enough. The large rings have 84 individual RGB LEDs!!! That is 252 individual LEDs. The smaller rings have 81 individual RGB LEDs.

There are several options to connect these to a NightOwl System. For the halo kit, which has two RGB SL ports, you normally hook a grill light to one of these. You can hook both of these DRL halos together and hook it to the extra SL port. You would need one of our "SL Pigtails". If you didn't have a grill light, you could hook one to each of the SL ports for independent control. These are not plug-and-play like our halo kit. There is a little bit of wiring involved. You could also add an SL module and expand your NightOwl System.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetkan View Post
Do I have to cut open my DRL to install these?
Yep. Cutting and Silicon is required. It really isn't that difficult, and see below about a set of aftermarket housings. We'll have these on display at CamaroFest. We have a set in the car with the diffusers, and we'll also have one DRL with diffuser, and one DRL with the larger ring which we'll have out of the car for display. We're trying to get the written instructions together, but there are other installation videos around, and these are the same.

We went a step further on the preparation of the diffuser rings on our car. We actually painted the sides of the diffuser rings with a chrome paint, and painted the inside of the rings with a frosted spray. This is completely up to you. The two guys that installed some test rings in their cars installed the diffuser rings also, but did not paint or frost them. Their cars will be at CamaroFest also.

We also bought a set of aftermarket DRL assemblies for display. These cost us $81 shipped.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:16 AM   #9
chef-beavis

Joe,

Can you show us a photo of the painted rings vs. Clear and explain a little about what this does for the appearances? Is the difference apparent when they are on or off?
Old 04-22-2014, 08:39 AM   #10
SM0KE
IN THE CIRCLE

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Will you have these for sale at FBODY?

SM0KE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:52 AM   #11
SM0KE
IN THE CIRCLE

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
For those interested, Joe will have some sets available at FBODY.
He has reached his post limit in this thread today so if you have any questions for him you may want to send him a message.

SM0KE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:58 AM   #12
chef-beavis

Joe reached his bump limit to this thread for the day, but he created a DIY thread on how to modify the halo diffuser rings if you want: DIY DRL Halo Diffuser Ring Modifications

Check it out here!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=354339
Old 04-22-2014, 09:10 AM   #13
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

As one of the testers for these lights working with Joe, I have to tell you that they are awesome! The install does require cutting open the DRL housings, but once you get over that it's a pretty simple install. The best part is that you don't even have to remove your front bumper! I would recommend picking up an extra set of OEM DRL housings from a place like Rock Auto. They will run you about $90 shipped for the pair, but it allows you to put everything together before you take the car apart.

I have the 80mm version with diffusers installed. I am one of the 2 guys that Joe mentioned that does not have my diffusers frosted and I will be at Camaro5Fest next week. I did try the frosted version, but I preferred the unfrosted looked because I thought it matched the headlight halos better. As Joe said it is completely personal preference.

I put together a little video of these rings in action and tied into my NightOwl SL controller. I apologize there isn't more detail or close-ups, but these things are super bright and don't record well due to the intensity. They do look amazing in person.

Here are some videos of the DRL halos in action:

If anyone has any questions about these, feel free to shoot me a PM or post it up here.

Last edited by Deke736; 04-22-2014 at 10:01 AM.
Deke736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:16 PM   #14
SamHouseIII
I Carry!

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
I ordered mine today.....can someone provide a part number to the DRL housing? Thanks!

From Oklahoma, Join us on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/okcamaros/

SamHouseIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:38 PM   #15
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

NightOwl New Ultimate DRL Halos!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamHouseIII View Post
I ordered mine today.....can someone provide a part number to the DRL housing? Thanks!

The housing is P/N 2592297. This will work for all 2010-2013 Camaro's with the RS package and DRL's like the ones shown above. The non-RS has a different part number.

Rock Auto was the best price I found for these. Do NOT order their knock off version. They are not the same and will not work.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:34 PM   #16
a.morblu

Drives: 2011 Sinister SS
Take my money!!
Old 04-22-2014, 04:42 PM   #17
Twoblindsheep
[COTW 1/6/14]

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe@NightOwlLEDs View Post
Yes, the purple and orange images are showing the smaller ring with the diffuser. The green picture and the one above it show the larger ring without the diffuser. We had a hard time taking the green halo photo. We wanted to show the individual "dots", but when the brightness is turned up, they are very difficult to see, especially on green. At lower intensities, and especially at lower red levels, you can spot them if you are close enough. The large rings have 84 individual RGB LEDs!!! That is 252 individual LEDs. The smaller rings have 81 individual RGB LEDs.

There are several options to connect these to a NightOwl System. For the halo kit, which has two RGB SL ports, you normally hook a grill light to one of these. You can hook both of these DRL halos together and hook it to the extra SL port. You would need one of our "SL Pigtails". If you didn't have a grill light, you could hook one to each of the SL ports for independent control. These are not plug-and-play like our halo kit. There is a little bit of wiring involved. You could also add an SL module and expand your NightOwl System.
alright so i have the grille light so i would need this "pigtails".. now the problem is that i have zero experience on wiring LOL
would i just have to tap the pigtail to other DRL wire and then plug it in into the SL port.
also while we are on this subject how bright is the grill lighting suppose to be? during the day you can see it at all.. but at night i can see it. i put mine exactly where you guys had it on the video
Old 04-22-2014, 04:56 PM   #18
a.morblu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoblindsheep View Post
alright so i have the grille light so i would need this "pigtails".. now the problem is that i have zero experience on wiring LOL
would i just have to tap the pigtail to other DRL wire and then plug it in into the SL port.
also while we are on this subject how bright is the grill lighting suppose to be? during the day you can see it at all.. but at night i can see it. i put mine exactly where you guys had it on the video
Odds are you won't see it very much during the day since it's not reflecting off a flat surface. I had the same issue with my motorcycle. It would take a lot of light/power to see it in the daylight. Kind of like puddle lights.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:01 PM   #19
SSMKNU2

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
Ugh, I wish I knew these were coming out. I would of waited instead of doing my Oracle ones
Old 04-22-2014, 08:03 PM   #20
SamHouseIII
I Carry!

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deke736 View Post
The housing is P/N 2592297. This will work for all 2010-2013 Camaro's with the RS package and DRL's like the ones shown above. The non-RS has a different part number.

Rock Auto was the best price I found for these. Do NOT order their knock off version. They are not the same and will not work.
Thank you!

From Oklahoma, Join us on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/okcamaros/

SamHouseIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:57 PM   #21
SSMickey
SECC

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
Just ordered mine. Glad I waited. Never was happy with the way the other rings looked.
Vengeance Stage II Cam, Halltech CAI, RX Catch Can, Full ARH Exhaust, QTP Cutouts, Powerbond 25% Underdrive, MGW Shifter, MTI Drop Springs, Forgeline RB3C Wheels, 3.91 gears, Night Owl LED Control System
SSMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:59 AM   #22
Joe@NightOwlLEDs
"Night it Up!"

Thanks everyone for helping other members and your orders. Note for me next time: don't release a new product when you are trying to get ready for a couple large shows. Please be a little patient with us right now.

Just a reminder to existing NightOwl customers wanting to hook these up to their halo kit: an "SL Pigtail" is needed and we have these in our store for $7. There is also some DIY wiring involved. No plug-and-play option (at least yet).
Old 04-23-2014, 07:49 AM   #23
a.morblu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe@NightOwlLEDs View Post
Thanks everyone for helping other members and your orders. Note for me next time: don't release a new product when you are trying to get ready for a couple large shows. Please be a little patient with us right now.

Just a reminder to existing NightOwl customers wanting to hook these up to their halo kit: an "SL Pigtail" is needed and we have these in our store for $7. There is also some DIY wiring involved. No plug-and-play option (at least yet).
I just sent you an email about this. Ordered mine lastnight and didn't realize I would need an additional pigtail.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:39 AM   #24
billd579

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
will these work with the JDP kit?
billd579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:10 PM   #25
Joe@NightOwlLEDs
"Night it Up!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by billd579 View Post
will these work with the JDP kit?
They can be used with any standard RGB controller, which is what the JDP kit uses. Should be no problem.