Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JUICEDMOTORSPORTS
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 08-03-2009, 02:24 PM   #1
haleyd
determined future owner

Drives: 2004 pontiac grand prix gt2
Send a message via AIM to haleyd
tinted windows on gm's website

does this bother anyone else as much as it does me? i build my car and i love it and then i see them on the road and the windows are not tinted. huh? why have the car have obviously tinted windows online if they won't be tinted in real life? for me, it completely changes the look of the car.

i wanted to get a new malibu for a while and LOVED the white ones and the black ones that i saw out and about but then i was on the phone with draper chevrolet in michigan, and he said that's not an option. well then why the heck are they tinted on the website too? GRRRR frustrates me LOL!
haleyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:45 PM   #2
Matrix

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS & Magnum R/T
Get black interior, it gives the Camaro a tinted look. BTW I got the back and rear sides limo'd. Looks amazing.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:51 PM   #3
haleyd
determined future owner

i probably can't afford to get them tinted... and i'm not sure which interior i want. debating between black and grey. i know that the darker interior does sort of make the windows look darker, but the malibus i've seen are definitely TINTED windows. and the pictures online when you build a vehicle are definitely tinted. if getting black interior will give me that look to an extent then that might have just made that decision for me!
Old 08-03-2009, 02:54 PM   #4
Matrix

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS & Magnum R/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by haleyd View Post
i probably can't afford to get them tinted... and i'm not sure which interior i want. debating between black and grey. i know that the darker interior does sort of make the windows look darker, but the malibus i've seen are definitely TINTED windows. and the pictures online when you build a vehicle are definitely tinted. if getting black interior will give me that look to an extent then that might have just made that decision for me!
Emmmm not being funny but you ordered a Camaro. Tinting the windows will be 0.38% of the car
Old 08-03-2009, 02:55 PM   #5
Scrapppy666

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black/Black
+1
Scrapppy666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 03:07 PM   #6
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
If you can't afford the tint, how can you afford the Camaro?

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 03:12 PM   #7
Gentry78
HOOK'EM

Drives: 97 c1500/92 olds
you can get tinted for as low as 120-250 depending on type of tint
Gentry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 03:31 PM   #8
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Technically, the windows are tinted from the factory. All of mine are stamped indicating that it is 70%. For most of us that just isn't dark enough. I had mine tinted again but with 15% and 35% instead. Much better now.

If you can't afford to pay the $200 for a metallic tint job after buying the Camaro, then have your dealer do it for you before you pick up the car and add it to the cost that is financed.

#1: 2010 1LT/RS Victory Red M6 - July 2009-Oct 2011 (SOLD). #2: 2011 2SS/RS Synergy Green A6 - Oct 2011.....
rolnslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 03:52 PM   #9
jpsuperman81
That's Right 478whp450tq!

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Rally Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
If you can't afford the tint, how can you afford the Camaro?
jpsuperman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 04:01 PM   #10
haleyd
determined future owner

why do you people assume that just because someone is getting a camaro they are rolling in money? that is one thing that drives me nuts about reading some of these posts. i have a budget. i know EXACTLY how much i have to finance in order to fit the payments in to my budget. in order to do that, i still have to save 5k more... that should take me another 12 weeks. after that my payments will be about 20 dollars more than they are now. so NO, 200 dollars isn't in my budget to spend afterwards. it's like buying an ipod or something... i had to save for it... i didn't just go out and buy it LOL! so if i want them tinted it's something i will have to save for and not get done right away. so i guess yes, i can afford it in the long run but i don't just have the 200 laying around to have it done right now. know what i mean?

anyway, my point is just that it annoys me that the website shows it that way because i then assume that's how it will come... and i assume wrong LOL!
Old 08-03-2009, 04:02 PM   #11
haleyd
determined future owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post
If you can't afford to pay the $200 for a metallic tint job after buying the Camaro, then have your dealer do it for you before you pick up the car and add it to the cost that is financed.

that's a good idea! thanks for the tip. i didn't realize you could do that... i've never ordred a brand new car before. i wouldn't have the slightest clue what % to tint them or what's even legal in indiana, but i know i want them tinted that's for sure!
Old 08-03-2009, 04:05 PM   #12
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
You think it's a good idea to finance $200 for five or even six years at around 6%, just so you can have tinted windows...wow!!

Um..make sure in your budget to include $80 oil changes, $483 for one tire and the brake pads on these aren't cheap either. Oh and you have to use Premium fuel...about $4 more per fill up than you're probably acustomed to.

We're just looking out for you!
Old 08-03-2009, 04:08 PM   #13
Gentry78
HOOK'EM

Quote:
why do you people assume that just because someone is getting a camaro they are rolling in money? that is one thing that drives me nuts about reading some of these posts. i have a budget. i know EXACTLY how much i have to finance in order to fit the payments in to my budget. in order to do that, i still have to save 5k more... that should take me another 12 weeks. after that my payments will be about 20 dollars more than they are now. so NO, 200 dollars isn't in my budget to spend afterwards. it's like buying an ipod or something... i had to save for it... i didn't just go out and buy it LOL! so if i want them tinted it's something i will have to save for and not get done right away. so i guess yes, i can afford it in the long run but i don't just have the 200 laying around to have it done right now. know what i mean?

anyway, my point is just that it annoys me that the website shows it that way because i then assume that's how it will come... and i assume wrong LOL!
hey man a lot are in the same boat but in your situation you got it figured out thats exactly what you gotta do set a goal and make yourself carry it out

and the website thing its just pure aesthetics thats all, it like when the photoshop pics of models or really hot girls then when you see them for real your like wtf
Old 08-03-2009, 04:08 PM   #14
Red Rocket
Camaro Princess

Drives: 2010 VR 2LT RS
I'm surprised they didn't put some sort of disclaimer in fine print then--"Acutal product may vary." Oh, well, the site isn't perfect. The midnight silver wheels on the RS package look black, and everytime I build a care here lately, I can't even get the display picture to update with the options I choose.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:10 PM   #15
ALLT4

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RJT
Quote:
why do you people assume that just because someone is getting a camaro they are rolling in money? that is one thing that drives me nuts about reading some of these posts.

Same thing happens to a lot of Corvette owners, what is especially funny is a C4 can be had for a song and dance anymore. Even a really nice looking clean low mileage show winner. Yet you still have people that go "must be nice" not realizing how cheap they are now.

As far as tint goes, never have been a real big fan of tinting the windows but if you live in a hotter climate area of the Country and it's legal for sure it does change the looks of the car. Not mention I gues the UV protection of the interior. Mine won't be out in the sun that much just sitting so I'm not that worried about that.

How much does tint actually lower the interior temps anyway? Anyone ever done a real scientific test to back up claims?
ALLT4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 04:12 PM   #16
Gentry78
HOOK'EM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rocket View Post
I'm surprised they didn't put some sort of disclaimer in fine print then--"Acutal product may vary." Oh, well, the site isn't perfect. The midnight silver wheels on the RS package look black, and everytime I build a care here lately, I can't even get the display picture to update with the options I choose.
i know it did before the builder site came up so if it does now
Old 08-03-2009, 04:15 PM   #17
Gentry78
HOOK'EM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLT4 View Post

Same thing happens to a lot of Corvette owners, what is especially funny is a C4 can be had for a song and dance anymore. Even a really nice looking clean low mileage show winner. Yet you still have people that go "must be nice" not realizing how cheap they are now.

As far as tint goes, never have been a real big fan of tinting the windows but if you live in a hotter climate area of the Country and it's legal for sure it does change the looks of the car. Not mention I gues the UV protection of the interior. Mine won't be out in the sun that much just sitting so I'm not that worried about that.

How much does tint actually lower the interior temps anyway? Anyone ever done a real scientific test to back up claims?
well its not scientific but i've had cars with cheap tint that didn't do much but also had high quality tint that did give a slight difference
Old 08-03-2009, 04:29 PM   #18
NAHURRY
Love's to Detail

Drives: 2010 SS,97silverado/08crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post
Technically, the windows are tinted from the factory. All of mine are stamped indicating that it is 70%. For most of us that just isn't dark enough. I had mine tinted again but with 15% and 35% instead. Much better now.

...What he said.
NAHURRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 04:33 PM   #19
MikeZ28

Drives: '04 GTO, '00 Z28, '95 Z28
I expect that since different states have all kind of different restrictions on window tint, GM doesn't want to deal with it. It would be nice to have a factory option for a darker tint.
MikeZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 04:43 PM   #20
haleyd
determined future owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSOOCH View Post
You think it's a good idea to finance $200 for five or even six years at around 6%, just so you can have tinted windows...wow!!

Um..make sure in your budget to include $80 oil changes, $483 for one tire and the brake pads on these aren't cheap either. Oh and you have to use Premium fuel...about $4 more per fill up than you're probably acustomed to.

We're just looking out for you!
ha. saracasm is fun!!!

you don't use premium fuel... but thanks lol!

also, my apr is 4.49 for 5 years... just thought i'd throw that out there!

hmmm what else... oh, my good friend is a mechanic and his dad owns an auto parts store. i've been getting all my parts and oil changes and pretty much anything that needs done to my car, for practically free for years! so i'm covered there. thanks for looking out for me though... man i hope when i need money cuz i'm so broke from all that premium fuel that you'll be looking out for me then and help me out! LOL!
Old 08-03-2009, 04:44 PM   #21
haleyd
determined future owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rocket View Post
i have the same problem with the new site. i just use the old one! lol. or i go to gmfamilyfirst.com and use the one on there because that one gives me my total with the gms also!
Old 08-03-2009, 04:46 PM   #22
haleyd
determined future owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentry78 View Post
hey man a lot are in the same boat but in your situation you got it figured out thats exactly what you gotta do set a goal and make yourself carry it out

and the website thing its just pure aesthetics thats all, it like when the photoshop pics of models or really hot girls then when you see them for real your like wtf
yeah i guess because i've seen malibu's with the tinted windows and when i built them they had tinted windows, i just kind of assumed that it was something that was either an option or was standard. but when the dealer told me it was neither, i was like wtf? oh well. it's really NOT all that expensive to have them tinted.

edit: p.s. i don't know how to quote multiple posts at one time (still pretty new here) so i'm sorry for the multi posts.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:01 PM   #23
Gentry78
HOOK'EM

Quote:
yeah i guess because i've seen malibu's with the tinted windows and when i built them they had tinted windows, i just kind of assumed that it was something that was either an option or was standard. but when the dealer told me it was neither, i was like wtf? oh well. it's really NOT all that expensive to have them tinted.

edit: p.s. i don't know how to quote multiple posts at one time (still pretty new here) so i'm sorry for the multi posts.
just hit the " button right next to the quote one and then when you get to the last one you wanna quote hit quote
Old 08-03-2009, 05:06 PM   #24
haleyd
determined future owner

LOL thanks gentry. that was the only one i didn't scroll over to see what it said. geesh! next time i'll remember that!
Old 08-03-2009, 05:30 PM   #25
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
I didn't know that either, and I've been here for 2 1/2 years. Wow.

Anyway, I absolutely understand not rolling in money and having to budget, but I also firmly believe in a comfortable cushion between "what I intend to spend" and "most I can absolutely afford". So if you're just squeaking by being able to afford the Camaro, what happens if gas prices go up more than anticipated, or you run into a bit of costly maintenance?

shining at the end of every day
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote