Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Dyno Max
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 04-30-2014, 03:37 PM   #26
Gillis

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post
YESSSS!!!!!!

Keep 'em coming guys and gals.

Between all of us on here, we have no less than about 4 brazillion years of combined driving experience. I know we have Law Enforcement, Firefighters and Medics/EMTs, DOT/Road Crews, truckers, insurance adjusters, people who just drive, and other people that see it all EVERY DAY and could give some great advice.

I thought of another one this morning.

Pull through, or back into every parking space that you can, so you are facing outward when it's time to leave. Learning to back the car will build good confidence and skill so that you're better equipped to maneuver the car if you find yourself in a tight situation. It also bolsters safety. You have control of the lane when you pull up to a parking space, but that's not true when leaving a space. It's better to be facing outward.

And if you have passengers, it's also never wrong to have a "spotter" jump out and stand where you can see them (off to the side, but in your door mirrors or line of sight) and watch tight spaces, where wheels might scrape curbs, etc.

This doesn't always work so well when the parking spots are angled and it's a one way lane. When you pull through or back in then it's harder to pull out and go the correct way, especially in a truck, because the front of the car is angled the wrong way from the direction you're supposed to go. Unless you're one of those people that doesn't care and goes whatever way they want in one way parking lot lanes.
Gillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:38 PM   #27
NJBourne23

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2LT/RS
Anticipate what the road will be like. Remember that on those really hot summer days, oil and tire tread is building up on the roads surface. As soon as the rain hits, a lot or a little, the road will become slick causing you to lose your grip and lose control. Same goes for the cold winters where there may not be snow or ice physically seen in large amounts but black ice is hard to see but it IS there.

No matter the engine size V6, V8, ZL1 Z/28....these cars have enough power to make you lose control easily. You can be a great driver and destroy a car. Be vigilant of idiots around you and allow the car who's trying to race you while you head home from work to get a head of you as the bait. Sit back and watch the cop pick them off and smile as you drive by

2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT/RS
NJBourne23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:44 PM   #28
Evergreen6

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillis View Post
This doesn't always work so well when the parking spots are angled and it's a one way lane. When you pull through or back in then it's harder to pull out and go the correct way, especially in a truck, because the front of the car is angled the wrong way from the direction you're supposed to go. Unless you're one of those people that doesn't care and goes whatever way they want in one way parking lot lanes.
That's a good point and something I wasn't thinking about at the time I wrote the post. I'd agree...if you're in a big vehicle (Camaro included) that would't be able to make a sharp turn out of the space then absolutely, I'd park facing inward in that situation.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:18 PM   #29
Frank in MD
Raining Blood

Drives: 2014 SS Performance Sedan
Never try painting while driving, the picture never comes out well and it can get very messy really fast.

Bullfighting is generally frowned upon but never try it behind the wheel of a motor vehicle b/c bulls are unpredictable.

Learning the foil is a lost art but trying to master a parry while downshifting can lead to an accident. Be safe!

Try not to shit yourself, messy and it tends to stain your shorts.... and, dude? Eeeeeeeeeew!

Yelling at other drivers at the literal peak of your vocal capacity is discouraged unless you enjoy beatings at stop lights.

I'm unsure if driving naked is legal but don't try it on a hot day with leather, this might burn you in a tender area.

There is a fine line between confident eye contact and the piercing stare of a madman. Learn the difference or you'll never get laid.

Never leave witnesses following an automobile accident. Remember, three people can keep a secret if two are dead.

2014 SS Performance Sedan - Red Hot 2 - Black Leather. S/R. Full size spare.
Frank in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:24 PM   #30
Comrando
SScalator

Drives: '11 CGM LS3
Construction vehicles displaying flashing yellow lights have the right-of-way in construction zones. You are required to yield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post

On the highway, either move over a lane (preferably) or slow down noticeably for any vehicles on the shoulder with flashers going. Some places this is a legal requirement for police or fire vehicles with the light bars lit up, but it's a good practice anyway. Changing a left side flat with 65 mph traffic less than half a lane width away from where you need to be to change it is not anything you'd want to do yourself, so don't put anybody else in that situation.
#1 We saw an SUV jump into the right lane to pass three cars in the rain when someone was changing the left rear on the right shoulder. Potato head. Strike that, Asshole. He had to know why every one else was staying left.

#2 If you have a flat get off the highway. The tire is probably FUBARed anyway.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:17 PM   #31
ChrisBlair
Account Suspended

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Never run out of road, brakes, and talent all at the same time

An actual tip- in areas you drive frequently, conspicuously let people into traffic from side streets, etc, especially if you know of a 'tough to leave' street. Don't slam on your brakes and make a big deal, I mean a tap of the highbeams and a wave, let them in. Just one car at a time will do.

That one car in front of you isn't going to make you late. And in a few weeks, you will start getting more consideration from these other drivers, as they will recognize your car as the one that did them a favor. After a while in these areas you frequently drive, you'll have a much stress-reduced drive as people give you a break. It's just good adverting paying off and it works.
ChrisBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:41 PM   #32
Muscle Car Lover

Drives: 2014 2SS M6 "CHRISTINE"
Excellent thread, keep them coming. Lot's of great experience here.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:44 PM   #33
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank in MD View Post
Never try painting while driving, the picture never comes out well and it can get very messy really fast.

Bullfighting is generally frowned upon but never try it behind the wheel of a motor vehicle b/c bulls are unpredictable.

Learning the foil is a lost art but trying to master a parry while downshifting can lead to an accident. Be safe!

Try not to shit yourself, messy and it tends to stain your shorts.... and, dude? Eeeeeeeeeew!

Yelling at other drivers at the literal peak of your vocal capacity is discouraged unless you enjoy beatings at stop lights.

I'm unsure if driving naked is legal but don't try it on a hot day with leather, this might burn you in a tender area.

There is a fine line between confident eye contact and the piercing stare of a madman. Learn the difference or you'll never get laid.

Never leave witnesses following an automobile accident. Remember, three people can keep a secret if two are dead.
Thanks this thread was
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:57 PM   #34
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 14 Spark
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
One of the leading causes of spare Camaro/Vette parts in junkyards is hydroplanning.

Just slow down on rainy days. You can even drive on DOT slicks in the wet if you slow down enough.

Or ... Haul ass on bald tires to keep our good availability of parts. That works too!
On a side note its not a good idea to use cruise control when its raining or there could be slick spots in the roadway. I learned this the hard way...

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:42 PM   #35
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
No one is too old to learn a thing or two or three or four or more. My suggestions to all is go to school or a HPDE event (BTW HPDE=High Performance Drivers Education).

Hooked on Driving (HOD) is a nationwide company that will allow you to use your own car or in some places rent one.
http://www.hookedondriving.com/first-timers
The amount of things you learn in one day or weekend event is worth every penny and translates to your everyday commute. I am sure some of the folks who have done these events will attest to saying the same things. Now some will say that this is racing and hard on your car but if it will only be as hard on your car as you want it to be. You are the one driving it and if you are just there to learn and be a better driver you do not have to be hard on your car to learn a lot. The other option being to rent on of the available cars.

Other options are the Professional driving schools like Bondurant. Definitely not cheap but most professionals aren't. But, I have never spoken to anyone who has been there and said it wasn't worth every penny. There are other schools that may be closer to you to that are nearly as good as well, just do a little research.

Knowing how to handle your car in every situation is probably the best thing one can do to prevent an accident. The other is scanning ahead and anticipating what others will do in certain situations and knowing what you can and should do in those situations. These schools teach some of this knowledge and it never hurts to have more of that.

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS used to OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:18 PM   #36
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Realize most other drivers are so distracted these days with their damn devices is a huge issue.
Second thing I notice VERY often is how people proceed after the light turns green. About 90% do not check in both directions to be sure it is safe, most just go, and frequently after looking back up from the device in their lap. I would bet that most intersection accidents happen because the person who got the green light didn't look and see that texter who ran the red light T boned them.

Had the Son in the car one day and we were in the LH lane, with a semi in the RH lane. Both waiting to make a LH turn on to the Hiway. Speed limit is 65. Light turned green and he asked why I waited. Simple I can't see that it is safe to proceed, and I won't move until it is. If another semi blew the light at 65 we would have not been able to see that coming and could have been a big mess. I hope he remembesr that.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:17 PM   #37
6bangerBOOM

Drives: it like he stole it
Never stop to let somebody make a left turn in front of you if it's more than a two lane road. Every accident I've ever witnessed was due to this. If somebody ever tries to let you make a left turn in front of them and they have the inside lane don't do it. This is something that feels like "politeness" to some people and it is one of the most exceedingly dangerous kind gestures known to humankind.

Last edited by 6bangerBOOM; 04-30-2014 at 08:34 PM.
6bangerBOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:58 PM   #38
jrhagen

Drives: Camaro
HANG UP AND DRIVE!
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:19 PM   #39
Jim968

Drives: 2013 2SS RS
Don't downshift to slow down. That's what the brakes are for. The purpose of downshifting is to be in the correct gear for whatever acceleration is coming up.
Jim968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:48 PM   #40
McRat

Drives: 2010 ZR1 "Satan"
For RWD without posi:

You can sometimes get unstuck in sand, mud, or snow by following this procedure:

Air down rear tires to 15-20PSI.
Apply parking brake.
Increase throttle until you start to move and keep it at that setting.

The parking brake applies load to both tires. It will stop the spinning tire and distribute the torque to both sides.

Airing out the tires helps get out of the rut the spinning tire made.
2010 ZR1 "Satan" no times yet.
2013 Volt SCCA Solo2 #771 HS3.
And a bunch of Duramaxes.
McRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:57 PM   #41
Squillo

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS BRM LS3
Quote:
Can't stand people that have to drive in the left lane all the time no matter what.
Don't move to Hawaii.

Performance
AirAid CAI
Apex Motorsports ported spiraled Throttle Body
Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers and 3" mid-pipes (cat delete)
Hurst shifter
Dyno Tune

Cosmetic
Camaro badge GOBO door lights
"SS" badge GOBO hood and trunk lights
Blacked out side markers with 30% tint
Blacked out tail lights with 30% tint
Afterburner tail lights
Blue / white color changing headlight and foglight HALOs
Blue LED upper and lower grille accent lights
30% tint windows
Plasma fog light bulbs
DRL harness
"BDMFER" Hawaii state issued license plates
"Bad Mother****er" custom blue lighted door sills
Blacked out bow ties
Squillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:01 AM   #42
McRat

You will never fully learn how to keep a car in control with the stability control on.

But, you should not try to practice on the street, or turn it off for daily driving.

This must be done at a track, preferably at a race school.

Once you master driving at the limits with no babysitter, you will get better results in emergencies with the babysitter on. You will ask nothing more of the car than it is capable of, which will make the stability control work even better.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:38 AM   #43
Gillis

Drives: Car
Quote:
For RWD without posi:

You can sometimes get unstuck in sand, mud, or snow by following this procedure:

Apply parking brake.

The parking brake applies load to both tires. It will stop the spinning tire and distribute the torque to both sides.

Did you learn that from Marrisa Tomei?
Gillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:46 AM   #44
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Great Movie!
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:50 AM   #45
Evergreen6

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LS
Quote:
For RWD without posi:

Apply parking brake.

Genius. This is also an old 4-wheeling trick.

Jeep actually has a standard feature on the non-Rubicon Wrangler models called "Brake Lock Differential" (BLD). Using the stability control module, it will automatically apply brakes to a tractionless wheel to get power transferred to the wheel on the opposite side of the axle.

For those that have never heard about the parking brake trick on vehicles that don't have programs like BLD, or maybe want to learn more about how an open differential applies power to the rear wheels, here's a great video:

Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:47 AM   #46
Jim968

Drives: 2013 2SS RS
Evergreen6 described rev matched downshifting very well in his OP. You can add braking to the process with heel & toe. This comes in handy when you need to simultaneously brake and downshift in preparation to accelerate through an upcoming corner. A heel & toe downshift is accomplished as follows:

Brake with ball of the right foot solidly on the brake pedal
Clutch in
Blip the throttle using the outside edge of the right foot. Ball of right foot remains solidly on the brake pedal and your heel is the pivot point.
Downshift to lower gear
Release the clutch
Brake off
Accelerate as needed
Jim968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:05 AM   #47
McRat

Quote:

No, I learned it on an algae covered boat ramp with a Ford van that was sinking further and further every time I hit the gas, circa 1990. A fellow boater mentioned it, and it worked.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:04 PM   #48
Gr8ride

Drives: Camaro 2Lt
1) Know where you are going before you leave, plan out your route as much as possible, don't just rely on GPS because sometimes they can be really distracting.

2) If you know you have to exit the freeway soon, then start changing lanes, it really pisses me off when people cut through 3-4 lanes within a few meters of their exit...(kind of related to #1.

3) When changing lanes, triple check your mirrors, situational awareness pays off, watch out for that idiot who feels its his/her duty not to let you change lanes. Make sure cars behind you know what you intend to do and keep an eye on cars ahead of you, they might decide to hit the brakes all of a sudden.

4) Whenever some asshat decides to tail gate me, especially when Im 3 car lengths or more behind some other car I gently tap the break pedal a few times, (not hard braking ) just enough to signal with the brakelights for them to back off...they usually get the message.

5) So the turnpike looks empty? think again there is probably a police car somewhere down the road, under the overpass or just around the corner, I usually wait until I see 1 or 2 cop cars (usually pulling someone over) before I give it a little gas

6) A brown paper bag and a large rock in the middle of your lane might look the same from a distance, an cardboard box and a cardboard box full of books might look very familiar from a distance...

That last one might seem like common sense, but I had a friend that thought it would be awesome to run over that cardboard box just up ahead...he needed a new bumper and radiator shortly after...I ran over (in a go-cart) what seemed to be a plastic bag that turned out to be a rock the cart in front of me had displaced when it went off the track. I bruised my ribs up pretty bad.

One more; 7) If you are driving along I-95 and a motorcycle flies past you at mach 3.2 , stay put (dont change lanes, brake or accelerate) for a few seconds and check your mirrors there are probably a few more of his buddies coming through...Its happened to me a few times first two times were pretty scary and totally unexpected
Old 05-02-2014, 12:37 AM   #49
McRat

For California drivers:

CHP's operate in pairs. If you see one, his buddy is somewhere close by.

For driving through Texas: Their radar works in both directions, and they WILL ticket you if they are going westbound and you're going eastbound. If you see one coming head on, slow down. Learned that one the hard way.
Old 05-02-2014, 04:37 AM   #50
Rjgreen2

Drives: 2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS 45th
If you are turning right onto a two lane road, stay in the right lane as you make your turn, accelerate, use your blinker, and then get into the left lane when its safe to do so.

I've seen it way too many times that people want to turn right and think they are ok with using the far left lane to get into.

And don't pull out in front of someone and slow down? I dont understand that part with some people??? You are in such a hurry to pull out and then you slow down? Use your head.
Check out my build journal http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237283
Rjgreen2 is offline   Reply With Quote