Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Solo Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-30-2014, 02:04 PM   #15
Dwarfey

Drives: 2011 1LT A/T Black w/ Red Stripes
Oh for heaven sakes USE YOUR DAMN BLINKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-MRT v2.0 Exhaust -Painted Red Racing Stripes -Volant Cold Air Intake -Painted Red Interior Accents -Anzo Projector Headlights w/ Oracle White/Red Halos -Black Bowties -Rockford Fosgate 10" Sub w/ 1000W Kenwood Amp
-ZL1 Spoiler - Gloss Black Powder-coated 20" SS Wheels
Dwarfey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 02:07 PM   #16
Gillis

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba View Post
Just want to add to this point:

There are way too many people who erroneously believe passing on the right is OK. It is not.

In particular on the freeway where speeds are higher, don't pass on the right. Only pass on the left and don't weave in and out of traffic.

Passing on the right creates more danger for everyone as there are drivers attempting to merge onto the freeway (from right to left), drivers attempting to move into the right lane(s) to either get in the slower lanes or to take an exit ramp (most of which are on the right side of the freeway).

Passing on the right and weaving in and out of traffic creates more chaos and unpredictability of traffic flow.

Maintain your lane unless your intention is to overtake the vehicle(s) in front of you or you're intending to exit within the next couple of miles.
Yeah but most of the time there are douchebags driving the speed limit or slower in the left lane when there's no traffic in the middle or right lanes.

Left lanes are for passing not for some douch nozzle to tool along in. How many asshats do you see that merge onto the freeway and immediately just get in the left lane when there's nobody in the middle or right lanes? Can't stand people that have to drive in the left lane all the time no matter what.
Gillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 02:07 PM   #17
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
If you are in the left lane, and someone one comes up on you, move over. It does not matter how fast you think you are going, move over. If you don't in GA now, it is a ticketable offense. Best law ever for traffic flow.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 02:12 PM   #18
Gillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
If you are in the left lane, and someone one comes up on you, move over. It does not matter how fast you think you are going, move over. If you don't in GA now, it is a ticketable offense. Best law ever for traffic flow.
Usually they think that's a good reason to slow down even more. Especially if there's a car to the right of them so you're boxed in.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:21 PM   #19
i2disturbedSS

Drives: 2010 SS L99 IOM
good thread
Old 04-30-2014, 02:35 PM   #20
Gillis

If you HAVE to be on the phone while driving make sure it's on bluetooth mode. better yet turn the damn phone off when you're driving.

Whenever I see somebody driving with a phone up to their ear I want to just yank them out the vehicle and slap them.

And then we have the geniuses texting, posting to facebook and twitter and surfing the internet while driving. Just read a story of some lady who ran off the road and killed herself because she was posting to facebook about how some song made her happy. COME ON!!!
Old 04-30-2014, 02:39 PM   #21
Evergreen6

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LS
Another one...

Learn to dump your speed before entering curves. It seems logical, but a lot of people brake and downshift while in a curve and that's technically wrong. You want to set up for the curve and get dialed in, just before you turn in, make the corner in an optimal gear, and then accelerate out of the turn. I wouldn't encourage aggressive cornering or breaking the law on public roads. But it's something you can practice doing in everyday driving without speeding or being dangerous. It also increases safety on slick roads and in inclement weather.

Motorcycle safety courses and racing education courses cover this; I don't know why it's not a bigger deal in regular old driver's education in order to get a license.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 02:40 PM   #22
Yendor

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Adjust your side mirrors-You should not be able to see your car in your side mirrors. If you want to look at you car park it and get out to look at it. With properly adjusted mirrors you minimize your blind spots. Do this on all of your cars not just your Camaro.

Driving is multitasking and requires your full attention. Your cellphone and cheeseburger can wait.
2012 RY 2SS/RS Manual/Factory Installed Hurst short throw shifter, Forgestar CF10 Wheels, Doug Thorley Cat back, CAI intake and Stainless Power 1 7/8" headers, Seibon Carbon Fiber "V" Weave hood and Carbon Fiber Trunk Lid.
Yendor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 02:44 PM   #23
McRat

Drives: 2010 ZR1 "Satan"
If you get wheel hop during hard acceleration or braking ...

FIND OUT WHY and fix it. The correct set up does not hop. Often it's tires/pressure.

You will break a surprising number of parts that normally don't break. Bell housing, motor mounts, trans input/out shafts, U-Joints, axles, etc, etc.
2010 ZR1 "Satan" no times yet.
2013 Volt SCCA Solo2 #771 HS3.
And a bunch of Duramaxes.
McRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 02:49 PM   #24
trashmanssd

Drives: Black 14 2SS/1LE/RS 14 Tundra
A Rotary or Round-about depending on what you call it is a continuous circle when you are leaving it put on your turn signal so the people trying to enter know that they can go.
trashmanssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:24 PM   #25
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillis View Post
Yeah but most of the time there are douchebags driving the speed limit or slower in the left lane when there's no traffic in the middle or right lanes.

Left lanes are for passing not for some douch nozzle to tool along in. How many asshats do you see that merge onto the freeway and immediately just get in the left lane when there's nobody in the middle or right lanes? Can't stand people that have to drive in the left lane all the time no matter what.

Definitely agree. The outer most left lane should be used for passing only. Not to cruise the speed limit or below. If one isn't passing or driving faster than the flow of traffic on the right, one doesn't belong in the left lane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:37 PM   #26
Gillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post
YESSSS!!!!!!

Keep 'em coming guys and gals.

Between all of us on here, we have no less than about 4 brazillion years of combined driving experience. I know we have Law Enforcement, Firefighters and Medics/EMTs, DOT/Road Crews, truckers, insurance adjusters, people who just drive, and other people that see it all EVERY DAY and could give some great advice.

I thought of another one this morning.

Pull through, or back into every parking space that you can, so you are facing outward when it's time to leave. Learning to back the car will build good confidence and skill so that you're better equipped to maneuver the car if you find yourself in a tight situation. It also bolsters safety. You have control of the lane when you pull up to a parking space, but that's not true when leaving a space. It's better to be facing outward.

And if you have passengers, it's also never wrong to have a "spotter" jump out and stand where you can see them (off to the side, but in your door mirrors or line of sight) and watch tight spaces, where wheels might scrape curbs, etc.

This doesn't always work so well when the parking spots are angled and it's a one way lane. When you pull through or back in then it's harder to pull out and go the correct way, especially in a truck, because the front of the car is angled the wrong way from the direction you're supposed to go. Unless you're one of those people that doesn't care and goes whatever way they want in one way parking lot lanes.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:38 PM   #27
NJBourne23
Master of Nothings

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2LT/RS
Anticipate what the road will be like. Remember that on those really hot summer days, oil and tire tread is building up on the roads surface. As soon as the rain hits, a lot or a little, the road will become slick causing you to lose your grip and lose control. Same goes for the cold winters where there may not be snow or ice physically seen in large amounts but black ice is hard to see but it IS there.

No matter the engine size V6, V8, ZL1 Z/28....these cars have enough power to make you lose control easily. You can be a great driver and destroy a car. Be vigilant of idiots around you and allow the car who's trying to race you while you head home from work to get a head of you as the bait. Sit back and watch the cop pick them off and smile as you drive by

2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT/RS
NJBourne23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:44 PM   #28
Evergreen6

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillis View Post
This doesn't always work so well when the parking spots are angled and it's a one way lane. When you pull through or back in then it's harder to pull out and go the correct way, especially in a truck, because the front of the car is angled the wrong way from the direction you're supposed to go. Unless you're one of those people that doesn't care and goes whatever way they want in one way parking lot lanes.
That's a good point and something I wasn't thinking about at the time I wrote the post. I'd agree...if you're in a big vehicle (Camaro included) that would't be able to make a sharp turn out of the space then absolutely, I'd park facing inward in that situation.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote