Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing Discussions on mechanical maintenance and servicing of your Camaro

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2009, 07:28 PM   #1
Treadstone

 
Treadstone's Avatar
 
Drives: Z51 BABY!
Join Date: May 2009
Location: LSFREE~!!!!!
Posts: 783
500 mile oil change (metal shaving)

Guys, I'm looking for the photo of a user here who took a pic of their first oil change and there was metal shavings in it. Can't find it with search.
__________________
Treadstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:48 PM   #2
Gentry78
HOOK'EM
 
Gentry78's Avatar
 
Drives: 97 c1500/92 olds
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treadstone View Post
Guys, I'm looking for the photo of a user here who took a pic of their first oil change and there was metal shavings in it. Can't find it with search.
i don't remember that, but it's gonna happen to any car

your just checking to see how much there is right
Gentry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:50 PM   #3
ALLT4
 
ALLT4's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RJT
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Howard PA
Posts: 149
It's normal for the break in oil to look little silvery, but not actual metal shavings you can feel.
ALLT4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:57 PM   #4
DarrenJ
 
DarrenJ's Avatar
 
Drives: '67 Camaro ZZ4 & 2010 IOM 2SS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Real World USA
Posts: 545
The last 2 HHR's of mine had metal shavings and cuttings lodged in the pleats of the oil filter. First time it caused some worry, but the oil filter did it's job. I took the filter to the service dept and the owner of the dealership looked at it with me, he smiled and told me the AC/Delco filter was doing what it was intended to do and not worry about it. Some owners of HHR's also reported similar issues on their forum site - nothing to worry about.
DarrenJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:02 PM   #5
dayvedayve
 
Drives: 2006 Chevy Avalanche
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Gulf Coast of Texas
Posts: 388
Actually there will be a small amount. If you look in the oil pan there is a magnet and the tip of the oil pan drain plug is magnetic also. It is there to catch the one the filter doesn't. The motors almost always have left over shavings that were stuck in the motor from boring and assembly. They get most of them out but not all. After the first oil change then you might want to question it.
dayvedayve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:06 PM   #6
Treadstone

 
Treadstone's Avatar
 
Drives: Z51 BABY!
Join Date: May 2009
Location: LSFREE~!!!!!
Posts: 783
I'm looking for a picture, cuz I wanna make show a buddy who doesn't believe in the 500 mile change.
__________________
Treadstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:09 PM   #7
Capstone
 
Capstone's Avatar
 
Drives: .
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: .
Posts: 280
After my trip back to VA from PA picking up the car, I took it to JiffyLube (323 miles). Boy were they surprised to see the car. I asked about the oil, they said it look pretty clean. I made sure to insist they put back regular oil, not synthetic...
Capstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:24 PM   #8
ALLT4
 
ALLT4's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RJT
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Howard PA
Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstone View Post
I made sure to insist they put back regular oil, not synthetic...
Why? It comes factory filled with synthetic.
ALLT4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:11 PM   #9
Treadstone

 
Treadstone's Avatar
 
Drives: Z51 BABY!
Join Date: May 2009
Location: LSFREE~!!!!!
Posts: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLT4 View Post
Why? It comes factory filled with synthetic.
Werd, you just downgraded your oil.
__________________
Treadstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:14 PM   #10
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding
 
two_wheel_mayhem's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 SS LS3
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,850
I changed mine at 1000, and after close inspection of used oil and filter I think I wasted my money.

It's good to have peace of mind though.
two_wheel_mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:15 PM   #11
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence
 
PAUL SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Smallest State in the Union
Posts: 8,411
Aluminum magnet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayvedayve View Post
Actually there will be a small amount. If you look in the oil pan there is a magnet and the tip of the oil pan drain plug is magnetic also. It is there to catch the one the filter doesn't. The motors almost always have left over shavings that were stuck in the motor from boring and assembly. They get most of them out but not all. After the first oil change then you might want to question it.
I realize the crank and some lesser parts are steel, bit isn't this an aluminum engine?
__________________
BMR, CAI, DynoMax, Elite Eng., Hurst, Jannetty, Clear Image Headers & Hi Flow cats, Jet Hot, LSR, TSW, Vredestein
PAUL SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:32 PM   #12
Mr_Draco


 
Mr_Draco's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Western North Carolina
Posts: 6,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLT4 View Post
Why? It comes factory filled with synthetic.
Because it saves a nice chunk of change for those who believe in changing the oil the second time at 1,000-1,500 miles. Why spend $100 on something that will be in your car for so short amount of time.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:42 PM   #13
heidi
 
heidi's Avatar
 
Drives: Black SS, Black Expedition
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 29
Use the oil recommended and the interval recommended by your owners manual. The engine was designed to use that oil. Pay particular attention to what the manual states is outside of normal driving conditons. It sometimes is vague. The rule of thumb for traditional conventional oils was 3000 miles. Some manufactures were starting to use sythentic or synthetic blends and sometimes pushing out the intervals.
There will usually be more metal in the first filter because everthing is seating and any other debri is going through the filter. There will be aluminum and metal in the filter.
heidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:28 PM   #14
ALLT4
 
ALLT4's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RJT
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Howard PA
Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Because it saves a nice chunk of change for those who believe in changing the oil the second time at 1,000-1,500 miles. Why spend $100 on something that will be in your car for so short amount of time.
$100.00 for oil and filter?
ALLT4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:39 PM   #15
brandotron
I am the internets.
 
brandotron's Avatar
 
Drives: dangerously
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Posts: 12,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLT4 View Post
$100.00 for oil and filter?
For guys who don't change their own oil
__________________
brandotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:13 AM   #16
UCI CamaroFan
Zot!
 
UCI CamaroFan's Avatar
 
Drives: Toyota 4Runner
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 1,332
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28657

It was on page 2 of this section. This section is small.

I saw it when the thread was new, and remembered what you were talking about.
__________________
UCI CamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:18 AM   #17
FNKNSTN
Banned
 
Drives: A Black Car
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treadstone View Post
I'm looking for a picture, cuz I wanna make show a buddy who doesn't believe in the 500 mile change.
So do you just drain the oil at 500 miles? Or do you completely flush the system with back-to-back oil changes? - because you're so afraid of "metal shavings".
FNKNSTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:31 AM   #18
UCI CamaroFan
Zot!
 
UCI CamaroFan's Avatar
 
Drives: Toyota 4Runner
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 1,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNKNSTN View Post
So do you just drain the oil at 500 miles? Or do you completely flush the system with back-to-back oil changes? - because you're so afraid of "metal shavings".
change it again at 1500.

I'm scared of them too.
__________________
UCI CamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:11 AM   #19
Deeboe
Bowtie, FOR LIFE!!!!
 
Deeboe's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS SW/IOM Interrior
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Places me...
Posts: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstone View Post
After my trip back to VA from PA picking up the car, I took it to JiffyLube (323 miles). Boy were they surprised to see the car. I asked about the oil, they said it look pretty clean. I made sure to insist they put back regular oil, not synthetic...


: huh?
__________________
2SS/RS Summit White M6
Current: 2011 SW 2SS/RS M6 Fast!!!
70 Chevelle SS (sold) Still kicking myself!
2010 CGM SS/RS A6 (RIP)
one pissed SS right there!!!!
Deeboe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:54 AM   #20
Jozef
 
Drives: 2010 1LT Black on Black
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: McLean, VA
Posts: 71
I changed my oil at 700, and it was dirty as sin. There were no shavings, but it was as black as night.

I'm running synthetic now, and am going to change the filer again at 1200, and then do another oil change at 1500.

After that, new filter every 2500, and oil change every 5000.
Jozef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:37 PM   #21
Buby2
 
Drives: 2003 Eclipse & 2010 2LT SW Camaro
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Middle Village, Queens NY
Posts: 155
First of all anyone who goes to Jiffy Lube is not too brite. They drain it for 2 seconds and then refill it. First of all you have to drive to Jiffy lube and your engine is hot and the oil (most of it) is in the engine block. Dont you think its better to drain the oil when the car is cold and the pan is full ? And let it drain for 1 hour, whats your hurry.
Jiffy lube is cheap price/cheap oil/cheap service.......sorry not on my camaro.
Buby2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:47 PM   #22
Jozef
 
Drives: 2010 1LT Black on Black
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: McLean, VA
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buby2 View Post
First of all anyone who goes to Jiffy Lube is not too brite. They drain it for 2 seconds and then refill it. First of all you have to drive to Jiffy lube and your engine is hot and the oil (most of it) is in the engine block. Dont you think its better to drain the oil when the car is cold and the pan is full ? And let it drain for 1 hour, whats your hurry.
Jiffy lube is cheap price/cheap oil/cheap service.......sorry not on my camaro.
+1
Jozef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 04:36 PM   #23
dayvedayve
 
Drives: 2006 Chevy Avalanche
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Gulf Coast of Texas
Posts: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozef View Post
I changed my oil at 700, and it was dirty as sin. There were no shavings, but it was as black as night.

I'm running synthetic now, and am going to change the filer again at 1200, and then do another oil change at 1500.

After that, new filter every 2500, and oil change every 5000.
Why change the filter so soon. Get a good one and change it with the oil.
Under normal driving conditions it will be ok. If not normal you would need to do it more often. Use synthetic if it came with it. Use conventional if you want to change it on more frequent basis. Once again this would be normal driving conditions. No long cold, long hot, rabbit starts, screeching stops, pedal to the medal, towing etc. And some people don't realize that if you frequently use the gas additives you MUST change you oil more frequently.
dayvedayve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 06:43 PM   #24
Jozef
 
Drives: 2010 1LT Black on Black
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: McLean, VA
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayvedayve View Post
Why change the filter so soon. Get a good one and change it with the oil.
Under normal driving conditions it will be ok. If not normal you would need to do it more often. Use synthetic if it came with it. Use conventional if you want to change it on more frequent basis. Once again this would be normal driving conditions. No long cold, long hot, rabbit starts, screeching stops, pedal to the medal, towing etc. And some people don't realize that if you frequently use the gas additives you MUST change you oil more frequently.
This is my toy car. All I do is drive this hard...
Jozef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:00 PM   #25
Croathlete
Danny
 
Croathlete's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,657
Send a message via AIM to Croathlete
In case you didn't see my thread, here's a pic of my oil drain pan at my 500 mile oil change.
Attached Images
 
__________________
2SS/RS CGM with black rally stripes

DON_RAFA describing my Noweeds cutouts - "Very Strong. When I couldn't see you I still heard you. Sounds like your car is pissed at the world."

Please help me fight back by supporting me in the 2010 American Cancer Society's Relay for Life. Every little bit helps. Click here for more information. Thank you to those that have donated!
Croathlete is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Frist oil change SSRS2010 USA - Southwest 17 11-21-2009 12:53 PM
Oil change based on oil life monitor? trm0002 Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing 46 10-19-2009 12:19 PM
Huge offshore oil discovery KILLER74Z28 Off-topic Discussions 36 11-14-2007 06:14 PM
Major U.S. oil source is tapped KILLER74Z28 Off-topic Discussions 32 10-30-2007 09:47 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.