Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

HAVOC
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Off-topic Discussions Discuss any off-topic subjects with other members.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:22 PM   #1
thekid13

Drives: 2012 1LT RS Victory Red Camaro
Canonball 100 Years

Today marks the 100th anniversary of the first cannonball by Erwin Cannonball Baker. Many of you may know it simply as a speed run from coast to coast, but in fact it means so much more. During the oil embargo/crisis of 73, the National Maximum Speed Law went into effect reducing highway speeds to 55mph. Though eventually fully repealed in 95, it does make you think. Which is why I decided to post this and ask you guys and gals what you think. Does this system actually work? A system where speeds are governed by laws and not commonsense and driver intuition? Are we safer at slower speeds? Do slower speeds equal traffic? Does the risk go up significantly if you speed 15-20mph over speed limit? Is there any direct correlation with excessive speeds and traffic fatalities? In Europe why are they allowed to go as fast as they please on certain parts and times of day on the Autobahn? Is it because we (North Americans) are worse drivers? Is it our cars not being safe enough? Is it our roads not capable of sustaining such speeds? Do we have more traffic than them? Lets keep it friendly, but do express your opinions.
--TheKid13
thekid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:34 PM   #2
thekid13

Me personally I could go either way. Here in CA a license cost $35, no drive training and now no social security or legal status. Anyone who can remember answer or pay someone in a dark alley can pass this their first time. In Germany a license cost $5K and years of school for driving. I would think they would appreciate it a little more. In Scandinavia you have to complete a course on a skid pad, and driving in the rain and night. This comes in handy for emergency braking and swerving. Does it make a difference? According to Top Gear the majority of the previous winners of rally cross and formula1 are Finnish. Hence the the phrase, if you want to win employ a Finn. Maybe we have a different attitude than our neighbors across the pond. Now look at Russia, no explanation needed. We have all seen the videos on youtube. Lack of common sense comes to mind when watching these videos. Is it our environment, the food we eat, our culture? Bets me, all I know is have a camera/camcorder handy, post on youtube, like the video and comment lol. Drive safe
--TheKid13
Old 05-05-2014, 06:54 PM   #3
trashmanssd

Drives: Black 14 2SS/1LE/RS 14 Tundra
I just don't like the one size fits all speed system.The same speed limit for a camaro as a 77,000 pound triaxle dump truck, or a 1997 suburban or a 40 passenger bus? Like most US laws set for the lowest common denominator.
trashmanssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:57 PM   #4
Camaro_Corvette
36.833283,-76.021958

Drives: Team 1LE
Speed limits in towns, populated rural areas, schools zones etc. yes

Speed limits on the highway where you're the only car for miles. No

Honestly think it should be ten times harder to get your license as well. And I mean that.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:58 PM   #5
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
The fact of the matter is that in the year 2014 the vast and overwhelming majority of drivers in the USA have proven, day in, day out, 24 hours a day 12 months a year, that they are incapable of operating a motor vehicle at any speed, let alone 55 mph or higher. the skill level is abysmal, and the common sense is absent.

There's so little urge to improve the situation. Cars that mask bad steering and braking and throttle inputs to save the driver from himself. Cars that make drivers used to relying on sensors and cameras so they don't hit other cars at low speed. Cars that do not give a feeling of traveling too fast for conditions. Drivers' ed classes that are aimed at getting kids to pass a test instead of being good drivers. The lack of mandatory drivers' ed in the first place. Roads that look like they belong in the Road Warrior.

Back in the day, former F1 drivers like Dan Gurney competed in the Cannonball, getting caught breaking the speed limit by incredible margins, such as Gurney's ticket for 110mph in a Ferrari Daytona- Gurney had been going closer to 140, what the hell, he was one of the best drivers on the planet. The cop just...wrote him the ticket.

Today? Better believe it's jail.

The roads in the USA are, in the main, designed for cars from 50 years ago. if people in the USA gave a tinker's damn about being able to drive, I'd be all for select areas to have higher speed limits, such as highways. the way it is now, I want those people who can't drive hitting me at something less than light speed, becasue I'd like to survive my trip to work.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:15 PM   #6
PoorMansCamaro
n00b

Drives: Really Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by trashmanssd View Post
I just don't like the one size fits all speed system.The same speed limit for a camaro as a 77,000 pound triaxle dump truck, or a 1997 suburban or a 40 passenger bus? Like most US laws set for the lowest common denominator.
Lots of freeways are 55 for semi's or big trucks/buses. while it's 65 or 75 for passenger cars.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:22 PM   #7
trashmanssd

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
Lots of freeways are 55 for semi's or big trucks/buses. while it's 65 or 75 for passenger cars.
not up here in the north east. I know there is a speed limit (55-60-65) depending on the state for anyone towing a trailer that would cover small trailers to semi's but I have never heard of anyone getting a ticket based on those speed limits.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:42 PM   #8
danvillekidd
2013 ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 m6
Being military, I have been over there and lived it. Here we forget that driving is a privilege, not a right. There, they know it is a privilege and has to be earned. And I agree, with the cars taking over the driving, it is just making things worse. Our entire idea of driving would have to change for that to happen over here again. Drivers license would have to be earned and not cheap, real emergency skills test, so people should know what to do in an emergency. Minimum federal standards, or a federal license so everyone has the same basic SKILLS. I think we have gone too far to change now though. Would be nice to see an unlimited speed road, with environmental conditions being the final decision (snow, rain, heavy traffic), here again though.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:24 PM   #9
RolltideSS

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Vert
The number of people I see driving 75 in a 60 and texting or talking on the cell phone or with headphones in makes me glad the limits are where they are. There are tons of people that don't seem to understand that you can kill someone if you don't pay attention. I do feel though that when I'm driving around at 12 am and am the only car on the road for a mile, there shouldn't be any reason for a cop to pull me over regardless of how fast I'm going unless I'm swerving all over or otherwise acting a fool
RolltideSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:23 PM   #10
PoorMansCamaro
n00b

Drives: Really Slow
yeah, but how are they going to enforce that. the speed limit is 65, but if you don't see anyone near you for a mile, you can go as fast as you want. lol

the only real logical thing, would be to make a few of the freeways that are out in the western part of the country, where there's just miles and miles of open roads, and making them audubahn style. the eastern part of the state, there's just too many curves/trees/hills/etc to have no speed limit. with a few exceptions, I suppose.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:32 PM   #11
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
the 55mph speed limit was set because of the oil embargo, it was retained because it became a large revenue generator for cities, counties, and states.

raising it to 65mph was simply to pacify the people, speed governing laws remain in place because it is a revenue generator, and for no other reason, regardless of what the paid liars, er politicians claim about it being safer..

and little good it does, rarely are people traveling at the speed limit, around here if you have clear traffic (I believe it is pretty clear from 2:01 am until 2:05 am) it's 20+ otherwise it's a crawl.

------

laws that would make more sense.. Forcing trucks or vehicles with trailers to keep their asses in the right lane. (let me tell you about the 3 dumbass semi drivers this morning in the left lane doing 45mph while the rest of the traffic is doing 80)

properly enforcing the left lane as a passing lane only, not as a everyone get in it and make it crawl.

better yet, lose the damn HOV lanes, and convert them into high speed passing lanes for people traveling further than a couple of miles.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:24 PM   #12
thekid13

So I definitely agree with the points all of you make. The problem would be how to move on to the next step, a solution. I if you impose a ban on unsafe drivers it would end up in the supreme court and would be over turned. That's why even people convicted of multiple DUI's can still legally own and operate vehicles. Though they need to install and pay monthly for an in car breathalyzer. Lets not forget the fight that automakers would put up. If they couldn't sell cars to people who shouldn't be driving they wouldn't be as profitable as they are right now. After all this is the land of the free, even if it means free to be ignoramus. So not much can be done unless we (good, common sense drivers) lobby for change that will take a back set to immigration, health care reform, and wars. That's why I urge everyone to have your camcorder ready. I love watching those videos and often use them to remind others of how not to drive. Thank you all for your participation. I hope you will all participate in future discussions.
--TheKid13
Old 05-07-2014, 08:45 PM   #13
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Montana had a "Reasonable & Prudent" speed limit for a short while.... feedback from that should give you all the info you need.

"Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas at the same time."
"I was doing fine until about mid-corner when I ran out of talent."
"Don't brake until you see God, just don't meet him"
Mr Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:21 AM   #14
trashmanssd

I Just wish they would take a more common sense look at the highway speeds. We have a lot of roads here in Boston that have the same speed limit as you leave Boston where you have a lot more cars per mile and a lot more exit and on ramps (some less than a mile apart), As they do when you get 30-45 minutes outside of Boston where the cars per mile drops in half and exits are 5-10 miles apart. That just seems crazy to me can it possibly be as safe to go the same speed in both those area's. I would thing a lot of these roads can handle a 10 MPH bump in speed (like side roads) when you get away from high population area's. Then just drop the speed back down 10 MPH at spots where you have interchanges with other major highways for safety.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:18 PM   #15
Skogen
Hell Yea!

Drives: 1969 Chevelle SS & 2012 2SSRS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Twisty View Post
Montana had a "Reasonable & Prudent" speed limit for a short while.... feedback from that should give you all the info you need.

Montana would still have a reasonable and prudent speed limit if it was not for the threat to limit federal dollars spent on our highways, bridges ect......

Fact: Fatalities and wrecks in Montana decreased when there was a reasonable and prudent speed limit vs. today.

Thing about Montana is that our roads may not be as good as other states. We have alot of narrow 2 lane highways, but we do not have near the congested traffic that other states do either.

I am all for reasonable and prudent speed limits. But it conditions need to be taken into consideration. Also we need to teach people to put the cell phone and cheese burger down and focus on driving.

2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Crystal Red Tintcoat
2013 Chevrolet 3500HD Duramax
1969 Chevelle SS396 - Numbers matching
Skogen is offline   Reply With Quote