Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:57 PM   #1
Tuurtje
"Something else"

Drives: '10 yellow Camaro
Rebound.

My recently purchased '10 ls3 manual, with 22' and BC type BR coilovers feels like it kicks me out of my seat if I go a little to fast over a bump.

I took them out and adjusted the spring according to factory specs. Set the damping to 17 klicks, which is a little over halfway. It's a lot better, but still have the feeling it isn't 100 %.

When driving fast it even feels unsafe. I've got plenty of racing experience, including 2 stroke karting, but I can't figure out how to get the right setup.

I've got a few trackdays in August but don't want to race it like this.

Any input is welcome...
Tuurtje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 03:21 PM   #2
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2012 VR 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuurtje View Post
My recently purchased '10 ls3 manual, with 22' and BC type BR coilovers feels like it kicks me out of my seat if I go a little to fast over a bump.

I took them out and adjusted the spring according to factory specs. Set the damping to 17 klicks, which is a little over halfway. It's a lot better, but still have the feeling it isn't 100 %.

When driving fast it even feels unsafe. I've got plenty of racing experience, including 2 stroke karting, but I can't figure out how to get the right setup.

I've got a few trackdays in August but don't want to race it like this.

Any input is welcome...
From posts I have seen street settings are in the 10-15 range,or softer depending on your comfort level. Not sure what yours are doing or where they were set before, also the 22" tires wont help with ride either, especially with the stiff springs the coilovers come with.
#1 car 2010 Black 2LTRS 1/28/10-10/15/11, 17900 miles
#2 car 2012 Red 2SSRS 10/15/11-
Mods: Outlaw Axelback & J Pipes /Magnaflow resonated X Pipe/Heritage&Stillen Grill/Halltech CAI/Apex Scoop,Washer Bottle/OEM Strut Tower Brace/VMax T/B/ G.M. Blade Spoiler/SLP Splitter/TSW Nurburgring wheels & Michelin Super Sport tires/JBA Shorty Headers,HiFlow cats & tune/Remote Clutch resovoir/ Pedders Supercar coilovers and Pedders 27mm/32mm ZL1 Spec sway bars / Whiteline craddle Inserts & Upper rear arm bushes/ 416/414 RW HP/TQ
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:55 AM   #3
Tuurtje
"Something else"

I don't mind a hard ride, it isn't driven a lot. I want to know what the wheels are doing on the road.

We went to Germany a week ago where it is alowed to drive Vmax. There was a bump when doing 200km/h. I almost lost "my precious" It felt like the rear had no contact with the road any more.

Even speedbumps in my town, when taking to fast, kicks me out of the seat. It feels like I have to little damping when the springs return to their start position...
Old 08-07-2014, 07:15 AM   #4
marolf101x

Drives: 2010 Test Mule
If you are being kicked out of the seat upon hitting the bump, the issue is likely a high compression rate. For street driven vehicles I like to valve the shocks/struts really soft on compression (let the spring do the job of soaking up the bump), then have a decent amount of rebound (let the shock slow the oscillation of the spring).
www.projectAWDcamaro.com
marolf101x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:37 AM   #5
Tuurtje
"Something else"

Forgot to mention that it's lowerd. In going is hard but good, out going is to fast. Spring preload is set at factory specs.

This morning I went for an alingment, it wasn't out of factory specs a lot, but did it anyway. Front and rear. Rear camber was a little out, and toe wasn't a straight zero.

Now the rebound, is again a little better but the steering isn't as sharp as it was.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:51 AM   #6
JusticePete
Rebel Leader

Drives: Camaro Justice
How much have you lowered the rear?
Old 08-07-2014, 03:43 PM   #7
Tuurtje
"Something else"

Don't know what the original height is but this is how it looks like now. It has the same diameter as original. I run 22" with pirelli zero nero 315/25 - 22.
The height measured from the floor up to the edge of fender = 71 cm which is approx. 27.95 "
The tires don't rub the inside of the fender and the coilovers still have some thread left for lowering even more. I could get the tires within alignment specs with oem bolts...

Last edited by Tuurtje; 08-07-2014 at 04:17 PM.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:42 AM   #8
Tuurtje
"Something else"

Took the coils out again and changed them from left to right, to see if I could notice a difference. Same all over, what could be the issue ???

Old 08-09-2014, 08:40 AM   #9
JusticePete
Rebel Leader

Raise you ride height 20 to 30mm. You are so low thee rear upper control arms run out of travel.
Old 08-09-2014, 10:38 AM   #10
Mint

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
It could be the 22" with the lack of profile on the tires.
Mint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 11:58 AM   #11
JusticePete
Rebel Leader

It is the ride height.
Old 08-09-2014, 02:02 PM   #12
Tuurtje
"Something else"

Thanks everyone, especially JusticePete. It was the ride height. I gave the wheels an extra 18 mm of travel. It now is the way I want the rear to give feedback. Don't know if I'm going to do the front also or let it have this wedge shape look.

Looks good though.

Picture coming up.
Old 08-09-2014, 02:29 PM   #13
Tuurtje
"Something else"