Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Rick@Livernois
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 08-01-2009, 05:36 PM   #1
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Should have listened to the advice regarding (THE SIX) spoiler bolts (PIX INCLUDED)

cause at 2000 miles one of the nuts backed completely off on my spoiler and is now stuck in the innerworkings of the trunklid

The rattle is quite annoying and I have no way to get it out. I went and tightened the rest now (as all were loose in one shape or form....)

Yet another thing they have to do when I bring it back in a month for the scuff pads to be replaced (they had to install a new rocker cause of the bulge behind the door and the paint hasn't cured yet).

CHECK YOUR SPOILER BOLTS!!!

EDITED TO ADD PICTURE OF BOLT LOCATIONS.
Attached Images

I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks. Years later, a doctor will tell me that I have an I.Q. of 48 and am what some people call mentally retarded.

2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS - Daily Driver
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1993 Volkswagen Fox - Race Car (yes seriously)

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 05:37 PM   #2
jpsuperman81
That's Right 478whp450tq!

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Rally Yellow
Magnet?
jpsuperman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 05:42 PM   #3
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsuperman81 View Post
Magnet?
I may have a telescoping magnet at my dads house gonna check in a bit...
I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks. Years later, a doctor will tell me that I have an I.Q. of 48 and am what some people call mentally retarded.

Old 08-01-2009, 05:44 PM   #4
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Very sorry to hear about the bolts coming loose.

We did track it down to a faulty torque setting on a wrench on the line......don't have a VIN cut-off but will try to find out.....solved several weeks ago....
fbodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 05:54 PM   #5
Rookie13
Hooked on AutoX

Drives: 1SS/RS
Send a message via Yahoo to Rookie13
Rogue, actually if you follow these instructions, you might have a good chance of removing that nut.

Find a rather large magnet that will penetrate two layers of steel. Put Scotch-tape on the side of the magnet you plan to use, as a protectant.

Find the loctation of the nut by tapping on the deck-lid with your knuckles. Locate the exit hole you need to use and come up with an exit strategy...

Use the scotch-tape coated side of the magnet on the underside of your trunk lid to maneauver the nut thru the channel of the deck-lid or where-ever it is. The magnet should easily move the nut along the inside of the panel so you can get it to the hole and remove it.

Worse case scenario, if you have to use the magnet on the outside of the car (paint) pull off a long strip of the scoth tape, curl the ends and TAB each end; pre-paste the tape by laying it on your pants/jeans, so it is super-sticky. Put the scotch-tape directly on your paint where your exit strategy meets up with the hole. Drag the magnet very carefully across the scotch-tape to maneuver the nut thru the inside of the lid. Have a secondary magnet on standby to help remove the nut from the hole.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!!

Camaro5 Fest 2010 Panogram Photo of the Host Hotel
Rookie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 06:54 PM   #6
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
Or also wrapping a really strong magnet inside of your shammy/microfibre cloth works good too for the keeping paint safe situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
.........we are far from finished.................
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 06:59 PM   #7
domano 68

Drives: 2014 1LE
I had dealer installed LPO striped installed so no need to worry here.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:44 PM   #8
"prima"Donna
HWAY STR

Drives: 2010 RJT - VIN#7085 & 2014 CRT C7
Quote:

We did track it down to a faulty torque setting on a wrench on the line......don't have a VIN cut-off but will try to find out.....solved several weeks ago....
Thanks for the info, Scott...my VIN is 7085, and "so far, so good"............will definitely have hubby check that for me...............
Old 08-01-2009, 08:00 PM   #9
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: Blown beast.
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
I too read the warning on the spoiler bolts and dismissed it. about a week ago I was washing my car and noticed it loose on the driver side. I popped the rubber covers off and tightened them. the one on the inside fell out into the trunk. Guess I got lucky on that one. The rubber covers go back on easily, just push in the middle till it pops. They come off with just your fingers.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:03 PM   #10
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Lots of ways to fish out the bolts in here...
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29678
Old 08-01-2009, 09:44 PM   #11
Daddyo01545
New England C5 Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Rare earth magnets...even small ones are VERY strong. I agree that you use a polishing cloth and a magnet and you are good to go. I use high heat rare earth magnets on my oil filter and pan to pull out those microscopic metal shavings from the new motor.
Daddyo01545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 10:09 PM   #12
oachalon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
i just checked mine and they seem to be tight so all is well for now.
oachalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 10:13 PM   #13
edog

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM
Send a message via MSN to edog
Just tightened mine up. Al four were loose. Tightened about a half to full turn on each.

Rogue Leader, I hope you get that nut out of the trunk lid soon. It would drive me absolutely ape shit.
LS3 Conversion 113/225/238 COMP CAM, 3200 Stall, Doug Thorley Tri-Y LT/HF cat, Xpipe, Ported TB, 160 therm, Tranny cooler, Halltech CAI, Pedders sways, endlinks, 1" Eibach Drop Springs, 3.45 rear gears. Tuned by Doug @ ECS. 435HP/420TQ
edog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 10:45 PM   #14
HeatherR

Drives: 2009 CTS, 2008 Solstice GXP
Quote:
Originally Posted by domano 68 View Post
I had dealer installed LPO striped installed so no need to worry here.
Check yours...Stripes were a thought at the beginning, but that was not the cause.
HeatherR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:00 PM   #15
HALFFAST

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro
try a hard launch with very slow deceleration to get the nut to the rear of the car to make it easier.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:02 PM   #16
Camaro_Corvette
36.833283,-76.021958

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
cause at 2000 miles one of the nuts backed completely off on my spoiler and is now stuck in the innerworkings of the trunklid

The rattle is quite annoying and I have no way to get it out. I went and tightened the rest now (as all were loose in one shape or form....)

Yet another thing they have to do when I bring it back in a month for the scuff pads to be replaced (they had to install a new rocker cause of the bulge behind the door and the paint hasn't cured yet).

CHECK YOUR SPOILER BOLTS!!!
That sucks.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:52 PM   #17
Jamie Mac
NCM-WINR

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IOM 2014 2LT Stingray
Lid comes off easy. Take it off and shake it. Remember there are 6 nuts not 4
Old 08-02-2009, 02:59 AM   #18
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyo01545 View Post
Rare earth magnets...even small ones are VERY strong. I agree that you use a polishing cloth and a magnet and you are good to go. I use high heat rare earth magnets on my oil filter and pan to pull out those microscopic metal shavings from the new motor.
You got a magnet to stick to your oil pan?
Old 08-02-2009, 07:41 AM   #19
SRFnSNO

Drives: Blown & Flamed
After reading this last night went out and checked mine.
Easy just pop out the black plug buttons.

So all 4 were at a point that I could have removed them with out the ratichet extention. Tighrtned each with a 1/4" Drive got at least 1/2 to full turn on each bolt. Palmed the wrench and turned til felt firm.

There was still a lot of thread left till any of the nuts fell off but I am glad I checked. what should the tourque be?

O Yea: Vin 12006
SRFnSNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 07:50 AM   #20
CanadianCamaro

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM - A.K.A. DA ;)
I still need to check mine. But before this issue surfaced I had the trunk lid cover off and installed a small pull strap on the underside of the tunk lid so I could pull the lid closed with it instead of reaching up and over and pullng on the spoiler all the time. In the process of doing that I dropped a nut inside the trunk lid . Then I thought "oh yeah, I have one of those long magnetic retrieval tools.... oh wait, I decided to use stainless hardware"

Minimag flashlight, duct tape, small inspection mirror, 16" of copper wire with a small hook in the end and 45 mins of frustration later, I had the nut out.

Didn't have an extra pair of hands to take the lid off. Someone mentioned hard launch, easy deceleration. Good idea, but you still need to open the trunk lid. I suppose you could pop the cover off and crawl in through the backseat.

"BBOMG - More than just a car show.... It's an experience!"
CanadianCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:03 AM   #21
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Definitely do not want to remove the trunk lid, I'll never get it back on straight LOL.

Gonna go for the magnet thing when I have the free time.

I Don't wanna make it sound like I'm angry with the build quality. The car starts, stops, and goes in all 4 directions perfectly which is what it needs to do, so I'm still extremely satisfied with my purchase, and if this and the rocker is the worst problem, I am blessed!

Old 08-02-2009, 08:37 AM   #22
Andro
NOICE!!! ™

Drives: Force Fed 427
Old 08-02-2009, 08:51 AM   #23
ckaram

Drives: 2011 2SS RS, 1968 ragtop
VIN number

Quote:

Scott, mine were all loose. VIN 19,736. They were NOT just hanging there, but all needed about 2-3 full turns to tighten them down. I loctited them.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:07 AM   #24
Wikedwil
Co-founder of CDCNY

Drives: 2012 Camaro Black LS A6
Quote:

How about the added protection of locktite?
Wikedwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 03:49 PM   #25
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
I just checked mine and they were all loose as well. The spoiler felt secure when I tried to shake it but I'm sure the nuts would have worked themselves all the way off since there was no torque on them at all. They were less than finger tight and took 3-4 turns of the rachet to tighten them all back up.

Remove the rubber plugs (4) with your fingernail to expose the nuts. They are a size 10MM nut, all of mine were loose. It took me less than 3 minutes to tighten them all up.

Russ
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote