Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
HAVOC
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2009, 07:12 AM   #1
Deltaskier
 
Drives: 1968 Camaro
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Deer Park, TX
Posts: 44
I need warranty work on the maro. Where?

Transmission is gone but i've already done headers & a tune. I know it shouldn't be a problem but I don't want anyone to pull the program & report that it's been tuned. Any suggestions of shops in Houston?

I tried the competitive launch mode over the weekend & now my third gear synchro is out. Second gear gives me a problem every once in a while & there's some clunking & funny behavior when rolling to a stop with the clutch in & in first gear.
Deltaskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:07 AM   #2
Scott@Bjorn3D


 
Scott@Bjorn3D's Avatar
 
Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Eufaula, Alabama
Posts: 6,059
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
That is going to be expensive. With my working with GM on my car I have learned about mods and anything you do to the engine will void the drivetrain warranty. This is meaning even CAI will probably void it.
__________________
2013 2SS, GM Strut Tower Brace, CAI Intake Black, VMAX TB, Elite Catch Can, Hotchkis Chassis Brace, Hurst Shifter, 3.91 1LE Complete Rear End, NPP, 1LE Track Pack,Factory Reproductions Style 41 ZL1 Fitment Wheels 10" on all 4 corners
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:31 AM   #3
gmag21
gmag21
 
gmag21's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lafayette/Kingwood
Posts: 338
Send a message via AIM to gmag21 Send a message via Skype™ to gmag21
I live in Houston, TX as well. LMR is a really badass shop. Corvettes of Houston on '59 is good. A good tuner is chuck. He's located like around north 249 tomball i think. youtube him he gives his cell #.
he prolly have somethin for you on that issue
__________________


L99 | Billyboat Exhaust, American Racing Headers, Pfadt Springs and Sways, Tune | 350 whp / 371 tq
gmag21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:46 AM   #4
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs
 
SSOOCH's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: South Jordan, UT
Posts: 7,429
I'm afraid after all those mods you're not going to be able to get work done under warranty. But good luck, let us know how it goes.
__________________
SSOOCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:51 AM   #5
SGOS252382


 
SGOS252382's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: S.W. Florida
Posts: 6,280
Your best might be to have it rebuilt by a reputable shop using stronger parts (that GM should have used in the first place). Yes, it will cost a few bucks, but it might just be your best choice.
__________________
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:56 AM   #6
Deltaskier
 
Drives: 1968 Camaro
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Deer Park, TX
Posts: 44
you guys are not making me feel any better.
Deltaskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:59 AM   #7
BoostedX2

 
BoostedX2's Avatar
 
Drives: VR ZL1 #259/Nissan 370Z NISMO
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltaskier View Post
Transmission is gone but i've already done headers & a tune. I know it shouldn't be a problem but I don't want anyone to pull the program & report that it's been tuned. Any suggestions of shops in Houston?

I tried the competitive launch mode over the weekend & now my third gear synchro is out. Second gear gives me a problem every once in a while & there's some clunking & funny behavior when rolling to a stop with the clutch in & in first gear.
Its unbelievable taht with only those 2 mods you messed upa TR6060. I thought they were supposed to be stout?? It makes me wonder if I just shouldn't save my money for a GT500...


Sorry about your tranny..
BoostedX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:02 AM   #8
1camaro70
 
1camaro70's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS RS L99
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: BUTLER, PA
Posts: 531
I would go to the Dealer, there are many manual trans. failing due to defects, if the defected part fails it should be covered.
1camaro70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:09 AM   #9
SGOS252382


 
SGOS252382's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: S.W. Florida
Posts: 6,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgsavujr View Post
Its unbelievable taht with only those 2 mods you messed upa TR6060. I thought they were supposed to be stout?? It makes me wonder if I just shouldn't save my money for a GT500...


Sorry about your tranny..
Read the problems/complaint thread. You'll find quite a few LS3's having driveline issues.
__________________
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:17 AM   #10
BoostedX2

 
BoostedX2's Avatar
 
Drives: VR ZL1 #259/Nissan 370Z NISMO
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post
Read the problems/complaint thread. You'll find quite a few LS3's having driveline issues.

My understanding is that the previous transmission problem was with the output shafts, not the synchros...
BoostedX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:35 AM   #11
SGOS252382


 
SGOS252382's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: S.W. Florida
Posts: 6,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgsavujr View Post
My understanding is that the previous transmission problem was with the output shafts, not the synchros...
Yeah, the transmisson output shafts have been the main issue. Haven't seen problems with the synchros (if thats the problem).
__________________
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:57 AM   #12
Deltaskier
 
Drives: 1968 Camaro
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Deer Park, TX
Posts: 44
Yeah, mine is most likely the synchro. I did the launch control the other day, then missed the 3rd gear shift. There wasn't a problem until a few days later. Now it grinds every time going into 3rd like the synchro's bad.
Deltaskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:25 AM   #13
camarossrs2150

 
camarossrs2150's Avatar
 
Drives: abm2ssrs
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: still out of my mind
Posts: 2,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
That is going to be expensive. With my working with GM on my car I have learned about mods and anything you do to the engine will void the drivetrain warranty. This is meaning even CAI will probably void it.
cai with no tune is fine . all you have to do is take it out when going to shop .and my dealer dont really care if you have it or not . he told me that it would be the first thing he changed . lets all hope we dont get to that point
__________________
[SIGPIC]
camarossrs2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:39 AM   #14
1camaro70
 
1camaro70's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS RS L99
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: BUTLER, PA
Posts: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
That is going to be expensive. With my working with GM on my car I have learned about mods and anything you do to the engine will void the drivetrain warranty. This is meaning even CAI will probably void it.
so you have voided your powertrain warrenty with the GMPP exhaust.
1camaro70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:42 AM   #15
HaveBlue
 
HaveBlue's Avatar
 
Drives: CTS/CAMARO
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SEMA/PERF INDUSTRY GUY
Posts: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarossrs2150 View Post
cai with no tune is fine . all you have to do is take it out when going to shop .and my dealer dont really care if you have it or not . he told me that it would be the first thing he changed . lets all hope we dont get to that point
Your dealer may not care, but the GM Warranty rep will have to OK the warranty repair. He won't, if the car has "off road/race headers" on it.
HaveBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:51 AM   #16
Scott@Bjorn3D


 
Scott@Bjorn3D's Avatar
 
Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Eufaula, Alabama
Posts: 6,059
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarossrs2150 View Post
cai with no tune is fine . all you have to do is take it out when going to shop .and my dealer dont really care if you have it or not . he told me that it would be the first thing he changed . lets all hope we dont get to that point
Not really, CAI besides GM's will likey void warranty. I have talked to GM themselves on this very matter.
__________________
2013 2SS, GM Strut Tower Brace, CAI Intake Black, VMAX TB, Elite Catch Can, Hotchkis Chassis Brace, Hurst Shifter, 3.91 1LE Complete Rear End, NPP, 1LE Track Pack,Factory Reproductions Style 41 ZL1 Fitment Wheels 10" on all 4 corners
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:52 AM   #17
Scott@Bjorn3D


 
Scott@Bjorn3D's Avatar
 
Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Eufaula, Alabama
Posts: 6,059
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1camaro70 View Post
so you have voided your powertrain warrenty with the GMPP exhaust.
No, that is a GM part.
__________________
2013 2SS, GM Strut Tower Brace, CAI Intake Black, VMAX TB, Elite Catch Can, Hotchkis Chassis Brace, Hurst Shifter, 3.91 1LE Complete Rear End, NPP, 1LE Track Pack,Factory Reproductions Style 41 ZL1 Fitment Wheels 10" on all 4 corners
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:57 AM   #18
thecamaroguy
 
thecamaroguy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/1967 Camaro SS
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 540
He said he put headers on, so that is not a GMPP part...unless I missed them being released early.
thecamaroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:58 AM   #19
shroomjohn

 
shroomjohn's Avatar
 
Drives: Golden Eagle
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: No
Posts: 1,137
I really hope they're not trying to monopolize the aftermarket by forcing us to use their parts or risk losing our warranty.
__________________
Loving this car!
shroomjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:59 AM   #20
Mike TexaSS
 
Drives: 454 LS7 Camaro SS
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Houston
Posts: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmag21 View Post
I live in Houston, TX as well. LMR is a really badass shop. Corvettes of Houston on '59 is good. A good tuner is chuck. He's located like around north 249 tomball i think. youtube him he gives his cell #.
he prolly have somethin for you on that issue

Wow Chuck can tune out a syncro. Thats good tuning!
Mike TexaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:59 AM   #21
SGOS252382


 
SGOS252382's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: S.W. Florida
Posts: 6,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
Not really, CAI besides GM's will likey void warranty. I have talked to GM themselves on this very matter.

For guys wanting to keep their full warranty, I would keep any aftermarket CIA a secret. Plenty of guys have been locked in long ugly warranty battles over just a CIA

Even if your going in for an oil change, you should remove it so they don't make a record of it.
__________________
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:32 AM   #22
JDBeck23

 
Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2SS/RS
Join Date: May 2009
Location: King George, Va
Posts: 877
That is total BS... changing your exhaust DOES NOT void the entire powertrain warranty. It's on the dealer to prove that the aftermarket parts directly caused the failure of the OEM part.

They'll have a hard time proving that a set of headers made the tranny synchro go out.

The tune is arguable. But here's the key... it's obviously a manual.... and the dyno tune doesnt change the TCM, just the PCM. So there again, the dealer would have to prove that changing the exhaust and tuning the PCM have made the transmission throw 2 synchros. IF they tell you that your warranty is voided, it's because they dont want to do the work. Take it to a different dealer.

Just as the sales department policies will vary from dealer to dealer, so will the service department policies.
__________________

2010 2SS/RS CGM
American Racing Headers, Magnaflow axle back, Roto-Fab CAI, Audio Integrations Sub box, Alpine Type R 10, Alpine MRP-500 amp, Pro Clips iPhone Mount
JDBeck23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:49 AM   #23
Camaro400
 
Camaro400's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Auto
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: California
Posts: 72
I live in Los Angeles and I spoke with the service department and they said that they wouldn't void the warranty for exhaust, but they would void the warranty for a tune.
Camaro400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:56 AM   #24
SGOS252382


 
SGOS252382's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: S.W. Florida
Posts: 6,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDBeck23 View Post
That is total BS... changing your exhaust DOES NOT void the entire powertrain warranty. It's on the dealer to prove that the aftermarket parts directly caused the failure of the OEM part.

They'll have a hard time proving that a set of headers made the tranny synchro go out.

The tune is arguable. But here's the key... it's obviously a manual.... and the dyno tune doesnt change the TCM, just the PCM. So there again, the dealer would have to prove that changing the exhaust and tuning the PCM have made the transmission throw 2 synchros. IF they tell you that your warranty is voided, it's because they dont want to do the work. Take it to a different dealer.

Just as the sales department policies will vary from dealer to dealer, so will the service department policies.

Don't manuals also have torque management? And don't most tuners adjust that also on a manual?
__________________
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:05 PM   #25
Deltaskier
 
Drives: 1968 Camaro
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Deer Park, TX
Posts: 44
Car's at the dealer. Wish me luck.
Deltaskier is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
List of Intakes that will work with the TVS-2300 MagnaCharger JJ2010 Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 26 03-19-2010 02:11 AM
****BUY THIS ROAD HAZARD WARRANTY!!! ***READ*** TAG UR IT Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack 101 09-13-2009 08:21 AM
Anyone with a tune have warranty work yet? caverman Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission 20 08-23-2009 10:23 AM
SS Basic Upgrades? Mod4SS Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 58 08-10-2009 05:01 PM
FAT32 40GB Portable HD Didn't Work Embalmer Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum 26 05-07-2009 12:09 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.