Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

SNL Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics Discussions related to the 5th gen Camaro Z/28 model

Old 05-14-2014, 02:30 PM   #1
Nathan Moreno

Drives: G5.R
Z/28 Carbon Fiber Aero package

Hey guys thought we share a rendering that was done for us by automotive designer Dan Steinhauser sporting our Z/28 carbon fiber aero pieces. We are debuting the pieces on our personal project "G5.R" and are making them available to the rest of the community. This is a rendering for another project he did for us. I will post the rendering for G5.R once hes done with it. G5.R will have the Z/28 rear spoiler, diffuser, rocker, flares, front splitter, lower grille made out of carbon along with a dry carbon hood, roof and trunk. For those of you who are not familiar with G5.R, here is the build thread. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285800

Note: For the lower grille, we have flushed out the recess for the license plate. This will make the lines flow better as the recess gives the side profile a bit of a beak look to it. We also eliminated the square cap on the passenger side of the grille.

Name:  2014-Chevrolet-CamaroSS-004 (4).jpg
Views: 1852
Size:  88.5 KB

Last edited by Nathan Moreno; 05-14-2014 at 02:50 PM.
Nathan Moreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:52 PM   #2
Skylane765
Splitter washers, jack pd

Drives: 13 ZL1, 14 Z/28, Cessna 182T
The square cap is for the Z28 tow hook addition in order to take to track
Old 05-14-2014, 03:05 PM   #3
Nathan Moreno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylane765 View Post
The square cap is for the Z28 tow hook addition in order to take to track
Your right it is for the tow hook, but there is nothing behind it on US cars. The square cap on the grille comes on all V8 models, not just the Z/28. We are doing a custom tow hook so have no need for the box.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:09 PM   #4
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
Nathan,

As usual, my only response to your work is "OMG!". Just beautiful...

However, as gorgeous as these are, I would NEVER use CF on the front of the car, especially the splitter. My last track car had CF front splitter, front canards, side rockers, rear diffuser, and rear wing. Even though I'd covered them with ClearBra, I was not happy that the OEM decided to use CF in some of the highest wear areas on the car. You cannot respray the clear on CF parts -- I've had one or two guys who claim they can do this, but I doubt it. For track usage, having these parts in CF just adds to the worry -- which is the opposite of what I need these days (maximum track time with minimum worry).

So for track usage, I decided the Z/28 -- and its black plastic/fiberglass route -- was by far the best approach for me. Even though I greatly admire the craftsmanship and beauty on these parts, the only one I'd consider would be the rear spoiler -- but even that is ruled out once I start thinking about drilling it for the wicker bill extension...

The CF roof, hood, and trunk, though, are mighty tempting...

Last edited by brt3; 05-14-2014 at 04:15 PM.
brt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 03:53 PM   #5
crc91

Drives: '14 1LS
wow these parts are beautiful
crc91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 05:44 PM   #6
Mikebrinda

Drives: Ferrari F430 Spider F1 Azzurro Arge
I know this may sound silly here . . . but I'd also be interested in some interior CF pieces. For example, replace the plastic emergency brake handle with CF.
Mikebrinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 05:55 PM   #7
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
Nathan- gorgeous stuff in that thread. Wow.

I'd be interested in a dry carbon hood, deck lid and f/r bumper covers. And would be willing to pay for quality vs most of the nasty stuff out there. I share my friend brt3's concern on the front stuff...but I can't resist the lure...lol!

No way I'd do carbon rockers though, they'd be destroyed in short order (I'll be using the car 90% on track).

Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:18 PM   #8
Nathan Moreno

Thanks guys, I will PM you info over the weekend along with my number.

We are working on doing interior pieces. Here is what we did for our personal project.

Here is what we have planed for the 2012 -14 wheel

Name:  G5T_interior_003bb (6).jpg
Views: 1737
Size:  100.3 KB
Old 05-14-2014, 06:24 PM   #9
Nathan Moreno

Hard to see the details in those photos. So here is a close up

Name:  2 G5T_interior_003bb (6).jpg
Views: 1722
Size:  107.3 KB
Old 05-14-2014, 06:28 PM   #10
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Moreno View Post
Hard to see the details in those photos. So here is a close up
First class work, well done!

Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:59 PM   #11
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfatuated View Post
First class work, well done!
+1 -- this is top-notch stuff!
Old 05-14-2014, 08:28 PM   #12
ZL575BumbleBee

Drives: 2010 ZL575 Bumble Bee
Very nice
Old 05-15-2014, 10:13 AM   #13
VegasZL1

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #412
Those wheels look familiar:

VegasZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:43 AM   #14
jp_

Drives: 2013 Camaro LS
Will this be available to buy? I'd love to buy front lip and side skirts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jp_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 12:12 PM   #15
Justin Moreno

Thanks guys, wait until you see the real deal! BTW, we will be reinforcing the back of the spoiler to be able to hold a wicker bill extension if you choose.

Quote:
I'd be interested in a dry carbon hood, deck lid and f/r bumper covers. And would be willing to pay for quality vs most of the nasty stuff out there.
Zfatuated, funny you should mention that... we have a dry carbon hood, trunk, and roof panel in the works for the '14.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp_ View Post
Will this be available to buy? I'd love to buy front lip and side skirts.
That is the plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasZL1 View Post
Those wheels look familiar
beautiful wheels!
Justin Moreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 12:30 PM   #16
Orange Crush 1LE

Drives: 2013 SS 1LE
Nathan,

How about for us pre-2014 owners? I'd be interested in a front splitter, front and rear fender flares and rockers. This is for a track car, so function is more important than cosmetic, so the stuff would need to hold up to high speeds and be rigid enough to not deflect significantly from downforce.

Thanks!
Willow Springs Raceway, 1:33.78: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343624
Buttonwillow Raceway, 1:57.47: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=354128
Orange Crush 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 01:20 PM   #17
Tmick5jr
Todd

Drives: 2012 camaro 1lt RS
i want that 2012-2014 wheel right now lol. when will it be available?
Tmick5jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:09 PM   #18
Nathan Moreno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush 1LE View Post
Nathan,

How about for us pre-2014 owners? I'd be interested in a front splitter, front and rear fender flares and rockers. This is for a track car, so function is more important than cosmetic, so the stuff would need to hold up to high speeds and be rigid enough to not deflect significantly from downforce.

Thanks!
Hey Orange! Love your car man. This might be a longer answer than you bargained for but it will also help out other folks at the same time. When it comes to making other niche parts, unfortunately Justin and I don't have the time as we are full time engineering students at UCSD and fellow enthusiasts. Our primarily goal was just to do these pieces for our personal project. Original plan was to have the ZL1 rear spoiler, diffuser and rockers and the 1LE front splitter made for G5.R which was going to debut at SEMA 2013. Well, the car got stuck in paint and we missed 2013.

With GM introducing the Z/28 we decided to scrap the original idea and do the Z/28 style parts instead especially since G5.R is primarily a track car.

We decided to make available the parts we were having made for us to help out the community after getting requests from other members. Quite frankly this is a lot of work and we appreciate the challenge but we just don't have time to do any additional parts other than what we are already doing for G5.R. We did make an exception to help out the ZL1 guys since they requested the splitter, fog light pods and engine cover (currently the only option for a carbon fiber engine cover available is $1,500, OUCH!!!) to have a complete package. For the 1LE crowd we also did the 2014 splitter so that they could also have a complete package.

These parts are going to be limited in number as you can only pull so many pieces from a mold before you have to make another one. Which means additional financial commitment. And lets just say we probably wont even come close to breaking even! In the meantime for those interested, I would recommend not procrastinating as you might miss out.

Again more than you bargained for but you asked, LOL. Hope that helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmick5jr View Post
i want that 2012-2014 wheel right now lol. when will it be available?
We will keep you posted as we are working with suppliers.
Old 05-18-2014, 05:50 PM   #19
Nathan Moreno

Quote:
Originally Posted by brt3 View Post
Nathan,

As usual, my only response to your work is "OMG!". Just beautiful...

However, as gorgeous as these are, I would NEVER use CF on the front of the car, especially the splitter. My last track car had CF front splitter, front canards, side rockers, rear diffuser, and rear wing. Even though I'd covered them with ClearBra, I was not happy that the OEM decided to use CF in some of the highest wear areas on the car. You cannot respray the clear on CF parts -- I've had one or two guys who claim they can do this, but I doubt it. For track usage, having these parts in CF just adds to the worry -- which is the opposite of what I need these days (maximum track time with minimum worry).

So for track usage, I decided the Z/28 -- and its black plastic/fiberglass route -- was by far the best approach for me. Even though I greatly admire the craftsmanship and beauty on these parts, the only one I'd consider would be the rear spoiler -- but even that is ruled out once I start thinking about drilling it for the wicker bill extension...

The CF roof, hood, and trunk, though, are mighty tempting...
Quote:

I'd be interested in a dry carbon hood, deck lid and f/r bumper covers. And would be willing to pay for quality vs most of the nasty stuff out there. I share my friend brt3's concern on the front stuff...but I can't resist the lure...lol!

No way I'd do carbon rockers though, they'd be destroyed in short order (I'll be using the car 90% on track).

We have gotten a lot of PM's asking the difference between Dry Carbon and standard carbon (which is technically Wet Carbon)

I apologize in advance if we haven't gotten back to everybody's PM's quicker as we have three finals next week, so we are cramming!!! I figure I post a reply on here since the Z/28 community is probably the ones interest in the difference between the two being more track oriented. Hopefully this will help with the PM load.

There is a very large difference between the two, and it comes as a result of the way in which they're constructed to offer differences in the final integrity and weight. Standard carbon fiber is constructed by using a wet lay-up structure, which is very similar to the way fiberglass is laid. In the process the resins, which structurally bonds the carbon fibers, are laid in separately from the carbon fibers so that they are not distributed completely evenly throughout the carbon fiber product. With Dry Carbon, the resins are pre-impregnated so that fewer are used but are distributed more evenly throughout the product. Because of this a much higher heat and vacuum are necessary for proper curing, but once cured this Dry Carbon has a natural outer coating, another way in which it saves weight over its Wet Carbon brethren. In all, Dry Carbon weights around 75% less as well as much greater structural strength and integrity, making it vastly superior product on an already great vehicle upgrade.

[SIZE=3]I also created a Q & A session in the buy thread as we are taking order for these pieces along with prices.

Here is the link: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=356583

Here is a dry carbon trunk for a GTR for comparison to our prices

Name:  2.png
Views: 4429
Size:  165.0 KB

Last edited by Nathan Moreno; 05-18-2014 at 06:51 PM.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:25 PM   #20
joeyrotorhead

Drives: 1968 RS/Custom & 2014 Z28
Quote:

+1 sent you a PM Nathan
joeyrotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 05:45 PM   #21
Nathan Moreno

Hey guys just thought I'd share a few pictures of Sven59 beautiful ZL1 with our rear spoiler. I can't wait till the first Z/28 spoiler comes off the mold.

Name:  user52506_pic122368_1400976247.jpg
Views: 1205
Size:  79.9 KB

Name:  user52506_pic122364_1400976247.jpg
Views: 1221
Size:  104.6 KB

Name:  user52506_pic122367_1400976247.jpg
Views: 1204
Size:  170.2 KB

Name:  user52506_pic122366_1400976247.jpg
Views: 1185
Size:  204.6 KB
Old 05-25-2014, 05:55 PM   #22
ddunerider
So-Cal Race team!!

Drives: Tahoe LTZ,2010 2SS/M6 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to ddunerider
Will this wing fit a 2010?
Old 05-25-2014, 06:13 PM   #23
Nathan Moreno

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddunerider View Post
Will this wing fit a 2010?
Yes
Old 05-25-2014, 07:02 PM   #24
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

Drives: A Z06 or a 2015 1LE?
That interior is awesome, Great work!
Old 05-26-2014, 10:20 AM   #25
Nathan Moreno

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
That interior is awesome, Great work!
Thanks, here is the second rendition we were contemplating.

Name:  G5T_interior_001b (2).jpg
Views: 1086
Size:  101.5 KB